NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-03-2011, 03:07 PM

Default July 2011 pickup thread

WOW! No pun intended, but July is off with a bang!

I just picked up a tremendous historically significant piece to add to my no-hitter collection:

A game used ball from the Red Sox Hubert Benjamin "Dutch" Leonard's no-hitter that he threw on August 30, 1916 at Fenway Park. The panel inscription was written in vintage fountain pen. The ball originated as a gift to a fan from Red Sox Chick Shorten. It has remained in one family's hands since 1916 where it was recently discovered in an attic find in upstate NY.

In this game, Red Sox lefty Dutch Leonard recorded only the 2nd no-hitter ever at Fenway. His teammate George "Rube" Foster beat him to the punch by throwing the 1st no-hitter at Fenway in June of 1916. This ball is a nice compliment to the only known ticket and scored program to Foster's no-hitter that I have in my personal collection. The Red Sox were really stacked with pitching during 1916. In addition to Leonard and Foster, they also had Ernie Shore and some left-handed upstart hurler named Babe Ruth...

BTW, perhaps some of you know this, but in 1914 Dutch Leonard put together one of the most incredible statistical pitching seasons ever recorded. Check out these stats:

In 36 games, Leonard only allowed a microscopic 0.96 ERA, and winning 19.

Now that's a season! It's a wonder that he ever lost in 1914 with an ERA that low....

I'd like to take a minute to wish everyone at net54 a wonderful July 4th!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 07-03-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:49 PM

I'm pretty excited about this one. I couldn't pass it up. Larry Doyle was NL MVP that year and Smokey Joe went 34-5.

Old 07-05-2011, 06:36 AM
Scott

scott, that ball is AWESOME. I love hearing the stories of the Great old memorabilia still being found in attics and such. ANOTHER reason why your hobby is so rich in lore.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:35 AM

Default july pickups

Amazing baseball Scott! Great pickup
Old 07-05-2011, 08:55 AM
J@RR0D

Wow, that ball is something else!

And Packs, that's also a very cool piece. Always nice to see Smokey Joe around.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default my pickup

cost me a couple of Bucks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buck.jpg (70.0 KB, 662 views)
Old 07-05-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
scott, that ball is AWESOME. I love hearing the stories of the Great old memorabilia still being found in attics and such. ANOTHER reason why your hobby is so rich in lore.
Scott, Keith, Rick, Chris & Jerrod,

Thanks for the nice words about the 1916 Dutch Leonard no-hitter game ball. As collectors, finds like these are what it's all about!
Old 07-06-2011, 08:00 PM

Default July Pickups

Earllier today I finally had some luck scouring the antique store that I also rent a display case in. I picked up an early figure eight baseball as well as a Spalding football from the late 20's early 30's time period. The football needs a little work, but should cleanup very well. The baseball is the piece that I am more excited about. It is a smaller sized baseball with just about an 8 inch circumference. The ball retains its makers mark as well as its model name: ROCKET. The Rocket is tough to discern in the photos, but is easier to see in person. The maker is Shibe, and it is in the shape of a baseball diamond. I was pretty excited to see Shibe as the maker, given his later connection with the Philadelphia Athletics and his namesake Shibe Park. I believe the ball dates to the 1880s. It has some condition issues with a large stain on one area, and its marks aren't the strongest, but I was still pumped to find it.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:33 PM
Matt

It might not be vintage, but I'm excited about it. I have had the bat for a year or so, so with Jeter rehabing in Trenton over the weekend I figured it would be my best shot at getting him to sign it. I went both days to try to get him to sign it. Day 1, I failed. He was a few feet away but I couldn't get him to sign it for me. Then day 2 I got lucky. He was a few people away from me and with some luck he signed the bat.
Matt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rc1.jpg (58.4 KB, 592 views)
File Type: jpg rc2.jpg (77.6 KB, 602 views)

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 07-06-2011, 09:29 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Nice Jeter!

He can be so damn tough...great looking bat and nice to add his sig, too! Enjoy...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Mikeknapp

I picked up this ball at an antique store today. It was marked as an autographed Duke Sanders ball. I purchased it for $9.99. The autograph appears to be a vintage Duke Snider. As you can see it has faded. Nonetheless, what I really liked was the ball itself. I know it isn't very valuable but it is interesting to me and I think it was $9.99 well spent.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:11 AM
Dan Brown

Default wow

Great pickup 71buc! Does this store you went to have any Babe Roth balls?
Old 07-07-2011, 12:57 AM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebro041 View Post
Great pickup 71buc! Does this store you went to have any Babe Roth balls?
No Babe Roth balls...but I wouldn't want to be greedy either. Lately I have been on the most incredible hot streak. After collecting and scouring antique stores for over 35 years with little to no luck I am actually tripping across stuff. In the past two months I added several items to my collection to include this ball, a 4'X4' banner which hung at Three Rivers Stadium during the 1979 series, the 1963 Dodger World Series banner I posted last month, and 6 unopened boxes of 1976-77 Topps Basketball. I recently sold the basketball cards and have arranged a deal for for a 33 Goudey Ruth, a 54 Topps Aaron, and a 55 Topps Clemente. The funds from the Basketball cards financed the whole deal. Those three cards that have been on my collecting bucket list since the late 1970's. I will be picking them up this weekend. My total out of pocket investment in all these items has been just under $200.00. Christmas in July for me here in the Great Northwest.

Last edited by 71buc; 07-07-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:23 AM
Scott

I'd say so. Some guys have all the luck.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGHPro View Post
It might not be vintage, but I'm excited about it. I have had the bat for a year or so, so with Jeter rehabing in Trenton over the weekend I figured it would be my best shot at getting him to sign it. I went both days to try to get him to sign it. Day 1, I failed. He was a few feet away but I couldn't get him to sign it for me. Then day 2 I got lucky. He was a few people away from me and with some luck he signed the bat.
Matt
Congrats Matt-very nice!!
Old 07-08-2011, 02:46 PM

Default HB Dutch Leonard game used no-hitter ball 8/30/16 at Fenway follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
WOW! No pun intended, but July is off with a bang!

I just picked up a tremendous historically significant piece to add to my no-hitter collection:

A game used ball from the Red Sox Hubert Benjamin "Dutch" Leonard's no-hitter that he threw on August 30, 1916 at Fenway Park. The panel inscription was written in vintage fountain pen. The ball originated as a gift to a fan from Red Sox Chick Shorten. It has remained in one family's hands since 1916 where it was recently discovered in an attic find in upstate NY.

In this game, Red Sox lefty Dutch Leonard recorded only the 2nd no-hitter ever at Fenway. His teammate George "Rube" Foster beat him to the punch by throwing the 1st no-hitter at Fenway in June of 1916. This ball is a nice compliment to the only known ticket and scored program to Foster's no-hitter that I have in my personal collection. The Red Sox were really stacked with pitching during 1916. In addition to Leonard and Foster, they also had Ernie Shore and some left-handed upstart hurler named Babe Ruth...

BTW, perhaps some of you know this, but in 1914 Dutch Leonard put together one of the most incredible statistical pitching seasons ever recorded. Check out these stats:

In 36 games, Leonard only allowed a microscopic 0.96 ERA, and winning 19.

Now that's a season! It's a wonder that he ever lost in 1914 with an ERA that low....

I'd like to take a minute to wish everyone at net54 a wonderful July 4th!

Follow up note: I just received the 1916 HB Dutch Leonard game used no-hitter ball today. After now seeing it in person, I would have to say that this is one of my most favorite items in my collection. The ball is just AWESOME!!

After inspecting the ball up close, I believe that the extreme dark toning is possibly due to the fact that Leonard occasionally threw a spitball and perhaps "loaded up" this vintage orb with his preferred concoction of licorice and whatever else. Considering it's age (95 years), it's in tremendous shape. Definately a centerpiece for my no-hitter collection, direct from the deadball era!

BTW, Lefty hurler Leonard also featured an overpowering fastball and hard breaking curve in his pitching arsenal en route to helping the Red Sox win World Championships in 1915, 1916 and 1918.

I've included a couple of pictures of Leonard in 1916. The second one features him and his batterymate from the no-hitter Bill Carrigan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HB Dutch Leonard 1916 Red Sox photo.jpg (69.4 KB, 495 views)
File Type: jpg Hubert_Dutch_Leonard_&_Bill_Carrigan.jpg (59.5 KB, 490 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 07-08-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:06 PM
M@rk V3l@rd3

The two photos I picked up in the Yee auction came in. Very nice.

The first is Gehrig arguing with the ump from 1938 WS.
It looks even better in person. Very large 8 1/4 x 10 size, but it still appears like it was cut a little.

Second is 1936 Gehrig and Ott before WS.
It came slabbed. I was surprised as the slab is actually pretty nice. Thin yet sturdy. Now, I wouldn't spend money to send any of my others in to be slabbed, but I don't think I'm going to break any I happen to buy slabbed out either.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 07-08-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Dan Bretta

I'm not quite sure what's going on the last three months, but it's been raining Lincoln minor league baseball memorabilia...anyway today I was at an estate auction and picked up 10 (TEN!!) programs from 1947-49 including the program (scored) from the very first Lincoln Athletics Game...along with that I picked up a ticket from the very first game, a 1947 schedule card and two Child's grandstand tickets from 1947....three of the programs I picked up today are from 1948 and have Nellie Fox in the lineups.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:27 PM
Matt

Dan
Awesome Stuff- Congrats.
Matt

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/
Old 07-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Peter F

Default Great Stuff Dan!

When you send emails like you've been sending, I always feel that they capture the true essence of collecting. congrats!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Whi is #3 in the photo behind Gehrig??

Interesting photo. What Yankee is that behind Gehrig wearing #3 certainly not the Babe. Probably George Selkirk.

How many guys wore #3 for the Yanks before they retired his number? Can you believe:

Eddie Bockman
Allie Clark
Frank Colman
Cliff Mapes
Bud Metheny
George Selkirk
Roy Weatherly

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_wore_n...#ixzz1Rg7NaeAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
The two photos I picked up in the Yee auction came in. Very nice.

The first is Gehrig arguing with the ump from 1938 WS.
It looks even better in person. Very large 8 1/4 x 10 size, but it still appears like it was cut a little.

Second is 1936 Gehrig and Ott before WS.
It came slabbed. I was surprised as the slab is actually pretty nice. Thin yet sturdy. Now, I wouldn't spend money to send any of my others in to be slabbed, but I don't think I'm going to break any I happen to buy slabbed out either.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:58 AM

Last edited by David Atkatz; 07-10-2011 at 05:00 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:42 AM

Default Lincoln Athletics pickups

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
I'm not quite sure what's going on the last three months, but it's been raining Lincoln minor league baseball memorabilia...anyway today I was at an estate auction and picked up 10 (TEN!!) programs from 1947-49 including the program (scored) from the very first Lincoln Athletics Game...along with that I picked up a ticket from the very first game, a 1947 schedule card and two Child's grandstand tickets from 1947....three of the programs I picked up today are from 1948 and have Nellie Fox in the lineups.

[IMG]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/nudan92/1947-1961%20Lincoln%20Baseball/1947grandstand.jp

Congrats Dan- you are definately on a roll!!
Old 07-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Dan Bretta

Thanks guys. I'm really fond of that first game ticket stub...someone in here a year or so back posted a similar ticket from the opening game of another of Connie Mack's minor league clubs so I always suspected that a stub like that existed for Lincoln and I was right.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:52 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Interesting photo. What Yankee is that behind Gehrig wearing #3 certainly not the Babe. Probably George Selkirk.
Selkirk is correct.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 07-10-2011, 07:49 PM

Default July Pickups

Continued with my lucky week of antiquing with a couple of new pickups
The first is a rare small sized Gund NFL Chicago Bears doll in immaculate condition. I have never seen one this size before - the others I've seen are about 14 inches tall, this one is only about 9 inches tall.
Next is an early smooth gutty - gutta percha golf ball.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Clint

Wow, great pick ups Dan! Congrats.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Clint

Just got these 3 scorecards in that I'm pleased to add to the collection from 1941,42, and 46.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top1.jpg (79.7 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg top2.jpg (78.5 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg top3.jpg (65.6 KB, 422 views)

Last edited by ksfarmboy; 07-11-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Dan Bretta

It's contagious Clint! Nice pickups...where'd you find them?
Old 07-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Clint

Thanks Dan, I got them on ebay. I'm working on another deal that might yield a couple more pieces for my collection too.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Mikeknapp

Honus Wagner 1945, Type 1?, Type 2? I really don't care. He is obviously well beyond his prime in this one but a fun picture nonetheless. .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1945_Honus_Wagner.jpg (82.8 KB, 414 views)
Old 07-16-2011, 12:30 AM
Dan Brown

Default .

Nice pic. I like to see the kids being allowed to get up close. These days you would be lucky if you were a kid to squeeze in.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Clint

Added a few local game used items and a jersey to my childhood team collection. A 1982-83 Wichita Aeros Montreal farm club jersey and jacket. Also a jersey from the 1980 Atlanta Braves team.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S5000983.jpg (27.3 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg S5000985.jpg (41.2 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg S5000982.jpg (22.8 KB, 347 views)
Old 07-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Dan Bretta

Good stuff Clint...any word on the other jersey you were after?
Old 07-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Clint

Dan, he had 2 different jerseys but wasn't going to sell. He knows where another is and is going to see if that guy will sell his. Hopefully he will.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Dan Bretta

Good luck with that...hopefully he comes through for you. Congrats on the stuff you did get. That's a very cool Aeros jersey.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:49 PM
Clint

Thanks Dan. I've been after that Aeros one for awhile. You can definitely tell that they were the Expos farm club back then. The guy had a bunch of great jerseys and memorabilia. He lived across town from me but we have never met. We had talked on the phone once before though. You never know what great memorabilia is within a short driving distance from you.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:43 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
Thanks Dan. I've been after that Aeros one for awhile. You can definitely tell that they were the Expos farm club back then. The guy had a bunch of great jerseys and memorabilia. He lived across town from me but we have never met. We had talked on the phone once before though. You never know what great memorabilia is within a short driving distance from you.
I've already heard there are a few guys in town that collect the Lincoln minor league stuff, but they collected it back in the 1950s...One guy that I got a bunch of images from (That I'm not allowed to post on the internet) told me he would pass my name and phone number on to one of them, but that was almost a year ago now and I've heard nothing. There is another guy who was the Sports Information Director at the U of Nebraska for years and before that he was the sports editor for the Lincoln newspaper..I've heard he has a ton of Lincoln baseball stuff including one of Dick Stuart's bats from 1956. A few years back (three maybe?) I ran across a posting on Keyman collectibles from a woman who said she had a bunch of Lincoln Athletics stuff...I was able to google her up and had a nice email conversation with her in which she told me her dad was the trainer...I happened to have a photo of her dad and I sent it to her and she told me to contact her after she came back from her vacation...I did, but she never contacted me back. I took a shot at trying to contact her again a few months back, but still heard nothing.

Here's that old posting..still sitting there, just taunting me-

http://www.network54.com/Forum/48467...coln+Athletics

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 07-16-2011 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Clint

Gets you excited just thinking what they may have. Hopefully we both get a call in the near future with good news.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Picked up these two. An Aug 1960 Sport magazine and a Duke Maas cut from an AP dated Aug 1st, 1960. With Maas, I now need only one more for the 1961 Yankees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dukemaas22.jpg (21.3 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1452.jpg (75.3 KB, 313 views)
Old 07-18-2011, 09:56 PM
Dan Bretta

Picked up an interesting 1955 Yankees program...it's from a game in Hawaii against the National Baseball Congress team Hawaii Red Sox...I've seen 1955 programs from the Japan tour, but this is the first I've seen of their stop in Hawaii...actually I didn't even know they went to Hawaii first before heading off to Japan.

Signed by Billy Martin and Bob Turley...too bad they didn't get the Mick's signature that day.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:03 PM

Nice, Dan! How many of those can there be?
Old 07-18-2011, 10:10 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Nice, Dan! How many of those can there be?
I've been searching the internets for another one with no luck. I see lots of the Japanese programs though.

edited to add: There may have been one in this lot from Mastro in 2006, but it is not shown in any of the pics

http://www.legendaryauctions.com/Lot...px?lotid=60643

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 07-18-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Clint

Finally landed one of my grail items after a long, long search. I've known about this jersey but wasn't able to persuade the owner to sell until now. It's a 1953 Wichita Indians jersey. I picked up the team picture from the same year in an earlier ebay auction. Needless to say I'm one happy camper right now. Also picked up a couple of newer jerseys I'll post later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S5000992.jpg (35.8 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg wi3.jpg (77.4 KB, 379 views)
Old 07-19-2011, 05:13 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

Old 07-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Dan Bretta

Awesome Clint!!! Congrats!!
Old 07-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default What can ya get for a buck?

Electric Baseball - Jim Prentice - model 79B

This is actually one of the more rare Prentice games - the seller had a less than stellar rating - but for a 10 buck snipe - I was willing to take a chance - and I "was" amazed it shipped at the one buck selling price.

I was impressed that it still had the written instructions:

Tho not in the best shape - I picked up this 1938 photo of Babe Ruth when he coached for the Dodgers.

It's from TSN and originally from Acme - thus a news service photo - it's dated on the back 1938.

next - artwork for the 1955 Yankees WS press pin:

It included a "white letter" version of the pin - but based on the design, I think it's a reprint from the 90s by Balfour.

And last - a board game - Parlor Base Ball.

On the plus - it has the written instructions, pieces and die, but is missing the more colorful cover. I guess ya can't have everything.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:11 PM
Clint

Thanks Dan, I can't believe I finally got it. Also as someone who collects NBC material I've never seen that program either. Thats a great score.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Dan Bretta

I wouldn't normally post my Saltdogs pickups in this chatroom, but this was such a nice score today I'll use my slightly off topic post here. Picked up 7 game used bats...three are team signed..one has a notation that it was used to hit three homers in one game, one is the breast cancer day pink bat...also got a few game used balls that are good for autographs, and two game used jerseys. All off of a Craigslist ad from a lady who has hosted players for the last decade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saltdogs 001.jpg (73.3 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg saltdogs 002.jpg (71.5 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg saltdogs 003.jpg (75.1 KB, 345 views)
File Type: jpg saltdogs 004.jpg (72.3 KB, 342 views)
Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 PM

I just picked this baseball up. This ball was the final pitch of a game between the Indians and the A's on June 15th, 1926. Rube Walberg had just won his 15th major league game by tossing a 5 hit shutout. I'm hopeful I can do some research and find out who made the last out. Would be great if this beauty got Tris Speaker to pop out. Rube wrote out the box score and starting pitchers and catchers for each team, so technically it is also autographed.

Last edited by packs; 07-20-2011 at 12:20 AM.