NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-31-2007, 12:35 AM
Administrator

Default Two c1950 11" tall porcelain black boxers - Research tip - eBay forums

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

PERSISTANCE PAYS: Keep on punching!
Below are two c1950, just under 11" tall, black porcelain boxers I got on eBay last month. The seller said they were her Dad's and he got them in El Paso TX, and was deceased. I don't usually collect things after 1940 so I knew nada about them, only that they looked killer. When I got them they about floored me they were so great. They had no makers marks and I was very curious who made them, when they were made, etc. But I knew next to nothing about 1950ish kitchy porcelain. I went to an antique store that had a lot of porcelain books, looked thru about five and got nowhere, and gave up. I started seeing the light that it would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I emailed active antiques dealer friends, one in West L.A., the other in Seattle who I could see dealing in them, but they didn't know about them. I'd never been on an eBay forum but decided to post my inquirery on the eBay Porcelain/glass/pottery forum....got a few weak replies but got no where. So decided to post it on the eBay Antiques Forum...there I got some pretty good input, then someone tipped me off to a guy named Jack Chipman...continued below

__________________________________________________ ________________
You might also ask Jack Chipman, who is an authority on California Pottery. Not sure if he'd answer you, but he has a website. Couldn't hurt
http://www.jackchipman.com

Good Luck!
__________________________________________________ ___________________
I wrote to Jack Chipman and got a reply right away that positivly I.D.'d them as being sculpted by Carol Safholm and produced by Brayton Laguna. Below, I've copied Jacks very interesting and informative email. Thanks to Jack we can all rest easier now!
__________________________________________________ ______________________
Hello Carlton,

You have a set created by sculptor Carol Safholm for the Brayton Laguna Pottery (Laguna Beach, CA) in the early 1950s. These figures are not easy to find.

I have the actual set that she herself owned; they were obtained after she moved into a retirement/convalescent home in Taos, NM a few years back.

Anything else you need to know?

Jack

www.jackchipman.com
__________________________________________________ _________________________
Outstanding, Carlton! Glad Jack ID'd them for you. He is a very nice fellow. I knew him years ago when before he started writing the California Pottery books and he was always glad to share information with everybody.
Good going, and if Jack says those are scarce, you can double dog bet they are!

Zip
__________________________________________________ _________________________
Thank the Lord for Jack, I don't think I could have found a more sound authority. Collectors... the squeeky wheel gets the grease! PERSISTANCE PAYS