NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-07-2012, 06:58 PM

Default 1952 Topps Junkie...

New to forums but my first 52 topps was Bill Dickey. Did not realize in 1976, when I was 7, it was special. Fast forward 36 years later and I need 11 Rizzuto and 261 Mays to complete all low numbers. I have glaviano white, and house yellow logo.. But did it as a growing adult. I have kids and grand baby but this series will always be special to me what made you love 52 Topps?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Zach

I am loving my 52 Topps Hoyt Wilhelm (RC) and my Eddie Mathews (RC).

You might get more responses if you post this thread in the postwar pre 1980 section. That section is all about post war era cards and 52 Topps etc...
Old 05-15-2012, 07:42 AM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

One of my favorite sets for sure. Wish I had more income to be able to go after it!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:26 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Default 1952 Topps bug

I remember seeing a 1952 Topps Ed Mathews in 1978 as a 9 year old with my grandmother at a card store. I was a huge Braves fan and didn't even know they played in Boston. Although a neat card, I was buying packs of 1978 Topps looking for Eddie Murray as I watched him play minor ball in Charlotte, NC at the old Crockett Park. Me and grandma sitting at the kitchen table opening packs and quickly fingering through them. I remember her saying, "Pete Rose, I've heard of this guy", but I didn't say a word (probably due to the wad of gum in my mouth), just nodded and kept right on looking for that elusive Eddie Murray card.

Fast forward through high school, college and my first marriage and raising kids, I was never in a position to go after that set, but never forgot about that Ed Mathews card and how I would one day like to have that card.

About 5 yrs ago, I started collecting my first prewar set, T205s. Although that kept my attention and funds for a while, my mind kept going back to that 52 Ed Mathews card. While I still haven't finished that set (about 50 cards short), I found myself in a position last year to either acquire a complete low number 1952 set or the 1952 Mantle & the Campos (black star). Kept going back and forth between a complete set or 2 cards, although 2 very desirable cards. Needless to say, I ended up going for the Mantle & Campos. Although they are great cards and I need them for my attempt at completing that set, my mind kept going back to ole Ed Mathews and was waiting for the day that I had him on my shelf. Well that day came last night and now I'm waiting impatiently for its arrival.

I'm now looking for the day that I can join you in saying that I'm down to my last two cards.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

r/
Frank

Last edited by Tcards-Please; 05-15-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:17 PM
Richard A.

Congrats Frank! Sounds like your '52 set is off to a heck of a start!

And thanks for that post, too. I'm like campyfan on this one -- one of my favourite sets, but not enough cash to make it happen. Instead, I live vicariously through posts like yours

Regards,

Richard.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 PM

I got hooked on cards because of my dad. He saved all his, a complete run of Topps 57 to 63.

I wanted to start my own set, and the 52s just grabbed ahold of me.

The odd thing is I care not a bit to watch baseball today. I have zero interest. But I adore the cards of the period, and especially the 52s, let me count the ways

1) They are works of art. Make no doubt about it, these cards are truly gorgeous works of craft. I adore the handcolored feel, and how each card is a little different. Some (Walter Masterson) just have a light color wash and have a faded, well loved look. Others, like the Durocher are intricate, lovingly detailed, almost photographic in their color realism.

2) They are devoid of cynicism. I go to card shows when they come around, but I mostly abhor the crap being peddled. Ready made, prefab collectibles that go straight from the pack to the plastic. The early topps cards were MADE for kids. Made to be LOVED. I love each card I buy for the fact that there was surely some young kid who loved that card, who spent his hard earned money, and walked or biked to the Rexall or the Woolworth to buy a pack. I feel like I'm keeping that feeling alive by treasuring these cards, and keeping them out of the hands of dealers just looking to make their 20 percent.

3) They represent a bygone era. I don't want to fall into the trap of saying the 50s were the good ole days. They weren't. Nuclear war, red scares, segregation...they weren't the best of times. But what I DO mourn, what I regret that I will never know, was baseball as it was regarded at the time. I can only go from what my Dad tells me, that baseball was EVERYTHING to a boy growing up then. These cards depict players that kids looked up to. They were athletes, gods and your big brother rolled up in one. Some are goofy looking, some actually have halos! Most of all, they were loyal to their teams. Guys spent whole careers with a team. They were loved. Now, players sell themselves to the highest bidder. Sure they were getting screwed in the past by being paid less, but for free agency and those pay checks, many have lost their souls, and helped kill the game as it once was.

4) Least of all, though still important, these cards do retain their value. I don't trust investing in pieces of paper for companies that will mismanage my investment, or run sweatshops, or in general work against the common interest of the people at large. I rather invest in something I can hold in my hand. I want to build a collection of something to be proud of, that people will enjoy, that one day I will donate or sell to establish a fund or scholarship.

I simply LOVE those 52s, and I'll build one of the best sets ever!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Steve

Brian: Thanks for that highly articulate and moving comment. You are a man after my own heart and I really enjoyed reading your views and reflections on cards and other stuff.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:39 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianruns10 View Post

1) They are works of art. Make no doubt about it, these cards are truly gorgeous works of craft. I adore the handcolored feel, and how each card is a little different. Some (Walter Masterson) just have a light color wash and have a faded, well loved look. Others, like the Durocher are intricate, lovingly detailed, almost photographic in their color realism.
I agree 100%-there is something about the look of this set, more than any other from Topps, that just draws me in.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:50 AM
Daryle Barbee

My favorite Topps set for sure....and not because of value. Started collecting in 1982 and was thrilled when I got my 1st '52 Topps...#1 Pafko from Kit Young for a whopping $11.50...in VG......have since owned 6 of them since and still have one of each back color.
Anyway, I had scattered '52s thorughout the years, maybe no more than 15-20 cards at any one time BUT I always said that if I ever break down and buy the Mantle I will start the set. In 2001 I had maybe 15 '52s. I finally did it.....bought the Mantle.
I started looking at the cards on eBay and realized just how great these cards were so the quest started.
I lucked up and found a dealer that had a huge selection of high numbers fairly priced. I ended buying 48 of the 97 at one time....he cut the sticker price in half since I bought so many.
I started by buying group lots of commons and grabbing the stars as I went along.....finally got card #325 Serena and the set was finished. Now working on the Low Number run of Red/Black combos....lucked up and found a BLACK STAR Campos in an auction listed among some commons....BUT another guy realized what it was so the bidding war started.....got it for under $500..................got the House yellow Tiger, Glaviano, Scheib and Woodling gap in borders, Page and Sain errors and the 3 Boone cards that I know of....probably not gonna worry with the gray back 2nd series run....but do wanna get the Mantle, Thompson and Robinson variations....guess those will be last 3 attempted....anyway, these cards look great in albums....got mine broke down into several albums...Low Number with red backs, Lows with black backs then by series with couple series combined into one album....maybe 10 cards are slabbed but bunches busted out.....LOVE IT.....
Old 05-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Al Richter

Default 52s

Here are my 3 versions of the Campos...regular, black star and missing upper left border...written up in SCD. Scarcer than the black star in my view

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1337635303
Old 05-21-2012, 06:22 PM

Man, I think the Campos has to be the worst centered card in the whole set.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Daryle Barbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Here are my 3 versions of the Campos...regular, black star and missing upper left border...written up in SCD. Scarcer than the black star in my view

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1337635303

I'm always on the lookout for the missing ULB
Old 05-21-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdogg View Post
I'm always on the lookout for the missing ULB
Missing borders, black stars, wicked centering...man that poor Campos has all kinds of problems! :P
Old 05-22-2012, 08:19 AM
Al Richter

Default Campos

But think about this, do you think Mr Campos would have dreamed in 1952 that some of his cards would become the most sought after and expensive ones in the set
Old 05-22-2012, 10:54 AM

Yeah, I can't argue with that. The Campos is my "white whale." I'm holding out for a well-centered PSA 6, but I think it may be a while. I haven't even begun to think about the black star variety...