NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Richard Simon

Default Donavon are you out there and willing to help?

I am sure Donavon is a busy man but you would think that by now he mght have taken a moment to respond further to the older thread.
I have now started a new thread in the autograph section in the hope that perhaps he will appear again.
I hope I am not wasting my time.
I guess he has no adequate response about the Ty Cobb cut and the mystery story of the amazing forger will have no further explanation.
Did PSA really say "amazing forger"?
Geez,,, if they did they must think we have at least 38 dopes on this board.
Donavon if you have been too busy to respond here,we understand. But we are hopeful that a response will be forthcoming at some time in the near future.
In the meantime I am glad I don't own an autograph that resides in a plastic tomb.
I never have and I never will.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-19-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:44 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

Regardless of the scenario, do you really have to take shots at someone in three different areas of the forum?
Old 04-21-2012, 01:44 PM
$cotty @.utin

"Halfway across the pond the scorpion stung the frog. When the frog asked the scorpion why he stung him, he responded with I'm a scorpion, it's in my nature."

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 04-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Banned

no one is taking shots. psa must have sent it back to him by now.

Last edited by travrosty; 04-21-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Rawn Hill

Thoughts of a benefit concert went through my mind, flower power.....nevermind.....

Rawn
Old 04-28-2012, 09:20 AM
Richard Simon

So many unanswered questions.

1- Did PSA get fooled on the Cobb cut by an amazing forger?
2- Did PSA get fooled on the Cobb cut by a computer printer?
3- Did Donavon tell us the truth on anything in this matter?
4- Does Donavon still have the cut?
5- If not, what is the fate of the cut?
6- Did Donavon actually send the cut back to PSA for reexamination?

If this post irritates a couple of readers, well I don't know how else to find out what happened here.
I want to know what has happened in this matter.
I don't know of any other way to find out anything in this matter other than to post here.
PSA certainly won't respond to any question.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-28-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
I don't know of any other way to find out anything in this matter other than to post here.
Yeah. Because Donavon is gonna answer all your questions. Truthfully, too.

And pigs might fly.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Atkatz View Post
Yeah. Because Donavon is gonna answer all your questions. Truthfully, too.

And pigs might fly.
+1
Old 04-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Brock

I'm thinking he sold it all along. Is it still come up in psa's system?
Old 04-28-2012, 10:54 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
I'm thinking he sold it all along. Is it still come up in psa's system?
Here ya go, a COA issued for an amazing forger or a computer generated signature:

It is the opinion of PSA/DNA Authentication Services that the signature(s) is/are genuine. According to the Certification Database, this item is defined as follows:

Item: Cut

Primary Subject: TY COBB

Result/Grade: 9

(I guess the dots on the paper and the slight skip in the "T" prevented it from getting a 10 )
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-28-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:20 PM
Banned

Donavon knew from the beginning he wasnt going to answer any questions, but he stonewalled hoping we would forget all about it, and he would look like the hero in all of this.

they never intended to answer anything, and when it came crunch time, we never hear from him again just like we suspected all along, it was in the can all along.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Richard Simon

Travis or anyone who might know for sure- did Donavon try to sell that cut on the B-S-T after it was kicked off ebay for authenticity questions?
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-28-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Travis or anyone who might know for sure- did Donavon try to sell that cut on the B-S-T after it was kicked off ebay for authenticity questions?

yes he did, it was kicked off of ebay, he tried to sell it on b/s/t on 3/13/2012 at 5:59 p.m. for about a 25% discount, 1000 dollars versus the 1300 he wanted on ebay.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=148790

it had run on haulsofshame.com on March 12th, 2012 as having been already pulled from ebay.

http://haulsofshame.com/blog/?p=11626

Only took it off b/s/t after it was made clear to him that people here were aware of the controversy. At 11:31 p.m. he said no longer for sale until further notice. He already knew it had authenticity problems because they yanked it from ebay at least a day before if not sooner.

didn't seem too concerned about the authenticity then when he put it for sale here when it had already been pulled by ebay for authenticity issues.

When people questioned him, only then was he concerned about sending it back to psa for re-evaluation, didn't have those same concerns when he offered it up here for 1000 bucks when it had already got the ebay boot.

When Leon made him aware of the situation he said this.

-----------------------------
Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. I am currently at wars with ebay over the situation. I can tell you this much. The cut is real green ink on really old paper & it was found with a bunch of original 1930's & early 1940's Goudey cards. I personally sent the card in for PSA/DNA grading along with a 1939 Exhibits Ted Williams that I had signed at a card show in the 80's. It is not a laser copy as the author of the article has insinuated. I am seriously thinking of legal action, as this is clearly defamation of character on this author's part. I have never sold or attempted to sell a fake to anyone in all of my year's of collecting!

-----------------------------

so if he was at war with ebay over the situation, he had no qualms to offer it up here?

Last edited by travrosty; 04-28-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Richard Simon

Nice try Donavon at playing the game you did.
But it has not had success.
Now we all have doubts about you.
I guess we might as well say goodbye to him, doubt if there will ever be another appearance from Donavon, the guy who had no qualms about posting a questionable autograph for Net54 members to buy.
Way to go Leon for calling him on this.
Hopefully, if this autograph was resold this thread will be picked up by the search engines and perhaps, if someone actually bought it, they will read this thread.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-28-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Banned

the show was lets make a deal, and he took the big box, or curtain number 1. thanks for playing.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:02 PM
qu@n nguy3n

certainly looks bad when it still shows up on psa database.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:38 PM
Wayne Walker

I wonder what got it pulled from eBay. I thought that psa/dna's opinion was sacrament to them.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
I wonder what got it pulled from eBay. I thought that psa/dna's opinion was sacrament to them.
Not any more.
They have somebody now that they trust more than PSA.
--
Old 04-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Not any more.
They have somebody now that they trust more than PSA.
Who??
Old 04-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Who??
People on the ebay EMR (enhanced member reporting) team do not want to be publicly identified, for obvious reasons.
--
Old 04-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
certainly looks bad when it still shows up on psa database.
The cut still showing up in PSA's database sure negates the theory that an amazing forger was at work on that Cobb cut.
--
Old 04-29-2012, 07:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
The cut still showing up in PSA's database sure negates the theory that an amazing forger was at work on that Cobb cut.

but there was an amazing snowjobber or two at work.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Richard Simon

If someone can get away with computer generating a Ty Cobb autograph cut, and then have PSA slab it, what else has that person gotten away with? I cannot believe that this criminal stopped at one Ty Cobb cut.
--
Old 04-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Banned

exactly and that is why i believe he says psa said it was an original ink copy and not a laser print, because if they are caught certing laser prints, then how many others could there be out there if they cant tell the difference between a computer printer and a persons regular handwriting?

I think that is the question a lot of people would like to know the answer to, because having the autograph slabbed, it kind of shileds the autograph from closer inspection, and if it wasnt for ron k. noticing an exact copy of his autograph, this cobb could have floated around forever, being bought and sold under lucite without it ever being inspected closely and being found out.

Last edited by travrosty; 04-29-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:36 AM
Bilko Glasier

I definitely would say Donavon is now "Gonavon", i doubt we ever see him again.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:50 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
this cobb could have floated around forever, being bought and sold under lucite without it ever being inspected closely and being found out.
Has that happened already Don?
Inquiring minds would like to know.
--
Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilko G View Post
I definitely would say Donavon is now "Gonavon", i doubt we ever see him again.
Good call Bilko,, I hope you are wrong but I think you are right.
I hope he did not sucker someone into paying him a grand for that Cobb.
The fact that it is still in PSA's database is the definitive answer regarding what Don did with the autograph.
I hope that if the autograph was sold that the buyer stumbles onto this thread.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 04-30-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:49 AM
Larry More.y

Is there a chance that Donovan did have a legit Cobb signature in that case, removed it from the case and somehow was able to reseal the case with the questionable signature with the hope of resubmitting the cut sig that was originally in the case?

Is the only known image the one used on ebay when trying to sell? Although the case appears intact in the image, he could have enhanced the image.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:23 AM
Banned

someone could try to do that, but the case is suppose to be tamper evident.

when psa slabs an autograph, it does not take a picture of it, unless the submitter pays a separate fee for a full loa in addition to the slabbing, so abuse like that could occur if someone could figure out how to crack a case and reseal it without it frosting on the edges or losing its rigidity like psa claims is the case when people crack the case.

we will never find out what happened because donovan said one thing and did another, just like we predicted. there was something fishy going on and we asked him to dispel the suspicion by letting someone independent look at the autograph, and he adamantly refused making flimsy excuses, thus only making it look worse for him like he had something to hide, which we think he did.

People who are not at fault and have nothing to hide do not make every attempt to filibuster and destroy the piece the instant they say they receive it back.

he said PSA told him they are going to void the cert, and it STILL shows up in PSA's database. This tells us that PSA must want it both ways - take the autograph out of circulation without admitting it is a laser copy instead saying that there are superman individuals out there that have the ability to copy an autograph EXACTLY by hand, but also having the description in their database STILL say that the autograph is legitimate.

why hasn't the onine cert been cancelled by PSA?

Nobody took responsibility for what looks like an exact laser copy,this is just what they wanted to do with this autograph, and the hobby suffers for it, again.

donovan won't talk, psa won't talk. money changed hands, silence prevails, and we couldn't get answers.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Jim M.arinari

Travis, he never sent it back, PSA never called it fake, and he didn't destroy it. It WILL change hands if it hasn't already.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:16 AM
Brock

I agree Jim. I think he never sent it to PSA but instead sold it.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:27 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Travis, he never sent it back, PSA never called it fake, and he didn't destroy it. It WILL change hands if it hasn't already.
+1

And Donavon if you are still reading this thread, nice to really know what type of guy you really are. Though, we had a pretty good idea when you tried to sell the Cobb on the BST right after it was pulled from the bay.
Could Donavon have created the piece originally, I am not saying he did, but who knows?
And like I have said earlier,, who knows how many entombed autographs have this same problem?
The person who did this, whoever it is, is not going to stop at one.
He found a way to crookedly make easy money, those type of guys don't stop, as we all well know.
And I have to steal a signature file from someone over on the card side now:

Maybe PSA stands for:

"Please Submit Again"
"Pretty Sh!tty Assesment"
"Pretty Stinkin Awful"
"Please Smoke Another"
"Please Stop Authenticating"
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-15-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:32 PM
qu@n nguy3n

yes the simplest explanation now is that donovan never sent the cut back to psa, which is a shame if true. i feel bad for giving him the benefit of the doubt and defending him at the beginning.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:55 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
yes the simplest explanation now is that donovan never sent the cut back to psa, which is a shame if true. i feel bad for giving him the benefit of the doubt and defending him at the beginning.
Don't feel bad about this, he is/was a liar who fooled others. Fortunately nobody (hopefully) on the board wound up buying the Cobb.
--
Old 05-15-2012, 09:27 PM
Banned

yeah, stonewalling, filibustering and making excuses means he was never serious about anything he said.

he wouldn't or couldn't even do the simplest thing, like show a good quality scan of his autograph, he couldn't show us any documentation from psa, he couldn't show that he got the autograph back. The whole story of finding it sandwiched in between some old cards. kind of lame. And where is the lawsuit he was promising when HOS called it a laser copy? he said PSA called it an original by a skilled hand. What a load unless psa didn't want to admit a laser copy. How does PSA explain the same dots in the background of both autographs?

Where's the laser copy lawsuit?

autograph fail!

Last edited by travrosty; 05-15-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:32 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
yeah, stonewalling, filibustering and making excuses means he was never serious about anything he said.

he wouldn't or couldn't even do the simplest thing, like show a good quality scan of his autograph, he couldn't show us any documentation from psa, he couldn't show that he got the autograph back. The whole story of finding it sandwiched in between some old cards. kind of lame. And where is the lawsuit he was promising when HOS called it a laser copy? he said PSA called it an original by a skilled hand. What a load unless psa didn't want to admit a laser copy. How does PSA explain the same dots in the background of both autographs?

Where's the laser copy lawsuit?

autograph fail!
Not to overly defend PSA, but they never got a chance to admit it was a laser copy.
Donavon never sent it back to them, I am virtually certain of that.
He lied here on 54 from day one and never stopped. He had many chances to tell the truth and never took advantage of any of those chances, except to tell us more lies.
"PSA says an original by a skilled hand" was the biggest lie of all.
I am sure that HOS is quaking in their pants about the Donavon lawsuit .
--
Old 05-16-2012, 09:32 AM
Banned

His item was pulled from ebay due to authenticity concerns, and he said he was at war with ebay over it. but then he came here and offered it for sale for a 25% discount, then when he was notified that this community was aware of its controversy, then it's .... No longer for sale!, no longer for sale!

He was aware of the controversy and it was no big deal to try to sell it for a discount to someone else, but as soon as others were aware, then he stopped trying to sell it.

He had been a member here for a long time, but he hadn't posted in almost 2 years, then he posts only when he wants to move his Cobb signature. Strings us along for weeks and weeks on end, hoping we will forget, then bails when he doesn't have an out that anyone will believe.

Last edited by travrosty; 05-16-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Scott

WEll....
Attached Images
File Type: gif beatingadeadhorse.gif (18.7 KB, 88 views)
Old 05-16-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
WEll....
Old 05-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Richard Simon

The subject was quiet for two weeks. Than someone who was new to this discussion reopened it with a question that required more discourse.
These things happen.
And why do you read the thread if it's a dead horse?????
I will never understand that.
Change the channel if you don't like the show, don't read the thread if you find it boring now.
There are far more threads on Net54 that I would find boring than the ones I find interest me.
Do you know what I do?? I pass them by,, boy that is easy.
Try it, you'll like it.
Scott, you surprise me.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-16-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
The subject was quiet for two weeks. Than someone who was new to this discussion reopened it with a question that required more discourse.
These things happen.
And why do you read the thread if it's a dead horse?????
I will never understand that.
Change the channel if you don't like the show, don't read the thread if you find it boring now.
There are far more threads on Net54 that I would find boring than the ones I find interest me.
Do you know what I do?? I pass them by,, boy that is easy.
Try it, you'll like it.

exactly,

I like to keep this thread alive because i dont think donovan should get off the hook that easy.

i want everyone to know his name. his didnt keep his word from day 1. and then he used the ploy of blaming others for picking on him when if all he wanted to do was stonewall he could have never even posted his first response in the first place. he wanted to save face but couldnt figure out how to do it without answering important questions or showing the autograph to others to verify. so he gave up. He even blamed the United States Postal Service.

2 weeks turned into 4 turned into 14. and how hard is it to show the 2 ted williams he said were exactly the same? he didnt do that either even though he was the one who brought it up and he promised to show them.

Last edited by travrosty; 05-16-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:15 PM
Scott

Richard and Trav. its just you already said all this stuff. I agree w you that there was VERY shady activity by Donovan with this. But, you said it all before, so I don't know why it would accomplish anything now.

I'd LOVE to see it happen, but like u guys, I think its a lost cause.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:54 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed reading this thread and the debunking of the situation, but if the guy went 2 years without posting prior to offering the Cobb cut, does that mean this needs to be kept going for another 2 years to prevent a recurrence?
Old 05-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Richard Simon

And may I ask, why not? .
Just kidding.
--