NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-19-2011, 10:06 PM

Default Got A Possible Holy Grail Today - Football Letterman Jacket for LSU

I picked this today. It is a letterman jacket from LSU. The biggest thing, it has a name of "B Jones" in it. I hope this is Bert Jones, but his brother played at the same time, Ben Jones.

I also need to check with them this week to make sure it is not stolen. I don't think the guy I bought it from stole, but this jacket could have exchanged hands twenty times the last 35 years.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:15 PM

I did follow up with Bert Jones today on the jacket today. It is not stolen, but he thinks his wife accidentally donated it to Goodwill (or something).

He has offered to buy it back and of course I am doing it.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Dan Bretta

Cool item...and very nice gesture on your part. I wonder how long ago his wife donated it, and if he ever thought he'd see it again?
Old 03-21-2011, 04:34 PM
Clint

That's very cool of you and you probably made a friend in the process. I remember when I collected cards as a kid and the 1951 Bowman Dub Jones was one of my favorites. I then discovered Bert Jones was his son. Thought it was pretty cool pulling his cards from packs after that. Didn't know he had a brother that played as well.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:18 PM
Rick P

Tiger, I guess you now join the noble knights who have protected Holy Grails through the ages. To say it appropriately:

"You chose....wisely."

Congratulations on setting a standard that we can all admire. Well done, Sir!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtix View Post
Tiger, I guess you now join the noble knights who have protected Holy Grails through the ages. To say it appropriately:

"You chose....wisely."

Congratulations on setting a standard that we can all admire. Well done, Sir!
This was not my first time buying something VERY rare and it turns out stolen. A couple years ago, I bought three watches from the Sugar Bowl and Blue Bonnet Bowl in the sixties.

The name was scratched off the backs. I was able to make out a couple letters and realized it was Pop Strange's watches (LSU Asst coach for 20+ years, player from the 30's, and had two sons on the team, one on the 1958 NC team).

I contacted his son to check on them, he said they were stolen back in the 70's. I got my money back from the estate sale, he got his dad's watches back. He ended up giving me one that I wear everyday.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default great stuff

That is great stuff "theantiquetiger". Very commendable on your part.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:04 AM

He emailed me a little while ago. His wife did not give it away, his mother did. He just happened to be flying into Baton Rouge today, so I am meeting up with him tonight.

Last edited by theantiquetiger; 03-22-2011 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:44 PM

I did meet Bert a little while ago, looks like he is flipping me off. He was cool and grateful.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:16 AM

I JUST found an LSU Letterman jacket from 1967-1973(as I've been told) with a Wilson tag inside (size 40) and a letter icon for swimming. Pretty awesome! Looks exactly like this.
Old 12-19-2016, 01:35 PM
octavio ranzola

great deed very cool