NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-04-2019, 12:07 AM

Default Looking to invest in a George Springer card...

Hi all,

I am curious about investing in a George Springer card from 2010 and these are my two options.

1.) 2010 Team USA card BGS 10, the POP report lists it as the only one and the highest graded example of that card. Price is $49 dollars.

2.) 2010 Team USA card, auto redemption /99. Prices are high for this card but I can get it for $220 ungraded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (78.1 KB, 225 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500.jpg (24.3 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg s-l500-1.jpg (29.9 KB, 222 views)
Old 07-04-2019, 08:27 AM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Get both of them.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:56 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
Get both of them.
+1 How could you not make $ at those prices.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
+1 How could you not make $ at those prices.
I always grapple with the possible return on my investment in the future, or therefore lackoff as a college student. Can I get the Bowman auto? The answer is yes. I just want to make sure it would be a wise investment and that is always tricky.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Jonathan Sterling

I like USA cards but the market is much more consistant with Bowman cards than these. Most consider his 2011 Bowman chrome issue his first card. So that is the card that if Springer continues to have a hall of fame career should benifit the most. But understand it will fluctuate with his performance like many modern cards. But you should be able to get get a nice graded example for around $175.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I like USA cards but the market is much more consistant with Bowman cards than these. Most consider his 2011 Bowman chrome issue his first card. So that is the card that if Springer continues to have a hall of fame career should benifit the most. But understand it will fluctuate with his performance like many modern cards. But you should be able to get get a nice graded example for around $175.
The 2010 auto redemption has the 1st Bowman Chrome logo on it. Would that one carry a premium over the 2011 one? Is $220 a fair price? I like the 2010 auto because it was also his first printed card.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:50 PM
Jay Cee

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
Get both of them.
+1 and add a minor league card from the stadium to the mix! Thank me later

Last edited by BeanTown; 07-04-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:58 PM

I really don’t see the long term value of Springer. He is a very good player but he is turning 30 soon and he has 706 career hits. He nowhere near hall of fame pace. He just a good player who has the same skill set as a bunch of guys who are now nothing but minor stars in the guide. Is he as good as guys like George Foster, Wally Post, John Mayberry. Kirk Gibson. How much are those cards going for.
Old 07-04-2019, 01:48 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Yes the 2010 is his first card But more people collect regular Bowman rookies than USA cards look how little a Bryce Harper 2009 USA card sells for vs his 2010 bowman (even before the USA card was counterfeit) up to you collect what you like is First rule. But money is always a thing and his 2011 looks like the card. Also the 2010 is a sticker auto that also takes some folks out of the mix. So 2011 better market and on card auto. BUT...collect what you like ... best advice I ever got ..good luck.Jonathan
Old 07-04-2019, 03:27 PM
Bob Andrews

I like Springer. I'm happy that I get to see him play as often as I do. But before you 'invest' in him consider his career trajectory.

These are his 'similarity scores' from Baseball-Reference.

Similar Batters

Yasiel Puig (949.9)
Walt Moryn (943.1)
Kal Daniels (937.0)
Craig Wilson (936.1)
Kevin Mench (934.2)
Pat Mullin (928.6)
Morgan Ensberg (927.7)
Mike Morse (927.2)
Bob Cerv (926.5)
Geronimo Berroa (926.4)

Similar Batters through 28

Wally Post (954.0)
Bobby Higginson (950.0)
Jay Buhner (943.6)
Kirk Gibson (943.4)
Jose Cruz (941.8)
Curtis Granderson (940.3)
David Justice (940.0)
Jay Gibbons (939.7)
Bob Allison (939.2)
Reggie Sanders (937.5)

Most Similar by Ages

25 Drew Stubbs (973.2)
26 Willie Kirkland (973.5)
27 Willie Kirkland (956.8)
28 Wally Post (954.0)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg George Springer Stats Baseball Reference.com.jpg (21.0 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by commishbob; 07-04-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:32 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Jake,
I am going to say something that a lot of people are thinking, but haven’t said. You keep posting in the “Vintage Sports Memorabilia” forum topics about new cards. Please post those in the “Post War” cars section. Both Springer and Joe Mauer don’t belong here. Thanks
Old 07-04-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Yes the 2010 is his first card But more people collect regular Bowman rookies than USA cards look how little a Bryce Harper 2009 USA card sells for vs his 2010 bowman (even before the USA card was counterfeit) up to you collect what you like is First rule. But money is always a thing and his 2011 looks like the card. Also the 2010 is a sticker auto that also takes some folks out of the mix. So 2011 better market and on card auto. BUT...collect what you like ... best advice I ever got ..good luck.Jonathan
Thinking about it, it actually makes sense. George was drafted in 2011 so that card means more to his professional career, it is a good looking card too. I see one on eBay, graded at 9.5 with a 9 auto under $30 with less than a day till it sells. I'll try my luck with that one.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Jake,
I am going to say something that a lot of people are thinking, but haven’t said. You keep posting in the “Vintage Sports Memorabilia” forum topics about new cards. Please post those in the “Post War” cars section. Both Springer and Joe Mauer don’t belong here. Thanks
My bad, I see that now. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:49 PM

I am also wondering about his non-auto card of the same 2011 Bowman set? Is that worth anything? I can find a nice copy that is graded for a fraction of the price.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:57 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJake09 View Post
I am also wondering about his non-auto card of the same 2011 Bowman set? Is that worth anything? I can find a nice copy that is graded for a fraction of the price.
Are you looking for a very short term flip? There is no way this card will be worth more long term. He is too old and his career #s suck. Honestly these cards will be in the bargain bins in the not too distant future.

Even short term it is a HUGE risk when you consider it has to increase in value just to break even with the selling/shipping fees.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Are you looking for a very short term flip? There is no way this card will be worth more long term. He is too old and his career #s suck. Honestly these cards will be in the bargain bins in the not too distant future.

Even short term it is a HUGE risk when you consider it has to increase in value just to break even with the selling/shipping fees.
I'm not looking to flip the cards. George is my favorite active player. I met him again at the Astros Rockies game last night after meeting him two other times, I gave him a drawing I did and he signed my ball I brought with, telling me thank you. He's a stand-out guy and my personal favorite in the game! I just like the "first cards" of certain guys, Griffey Jr., Mauer, Biggio, Springer... those are the cards that interest me.

Here's the drawing I gave to Georgie,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D-lJLKoUcAAiPvo.jpg-large.jpg (8.9 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by AstroJake09; 07-04-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:10 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I'm not looking to flip the cards. George is my favorite active player. I met him again at the Astros Rockies game last night after meeting him two other times, I gave him a drawing I did and he signed my ball I brought with, telling me thank you. He's a stand-out guy and my personal favorite in the game! I just like the "first cards" of certain guys, Griffey Jr., Mauer, Biggio, Springer... those are the cards that interest me.

Here's the drawing I gave to Georgie,
Your thread title says INVEST. If he is a favorite player buy what you like. I have bought many items of my favorite player that I knew would lose value.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:26 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
I'm not suggesting you leave here but if you want advice about modern cards, you should join Blowout if you haven't already.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Move it for you. Please be careful where you post in the future. If you see you posted in the wrong spot just PM me, or another moderator, and we can move it. Thanks
ps...no idea who this player is. I have no desire to watch current MLB....
Old 07-06-2019, 08:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

George Springer is not an investment. Just buy a card of him you like. Personally I would go with a real rookie card not a pre rookie.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:59 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

I have to agree with some of the other comments that Springer, while a good player, is not an investment and certainly not HoF.

This is a player that has led the league in games played, plate appearances, and caught stealing......that's it. Best MVP finish is 13th.

A minor league card would be fun and stick to his true rookie cards. Springer has lots of cards to choose from that are a nice addition to a collection.

There's no need to spend the money for a "10" when you can get nice 9's and 8's at a fraction of the price. Or go ungraded and save even more.