NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-06-2012, 03:36 PM
Mike

Default Any National Wrap-ups

Maybe I missed it, but haven't seen any National reviews. Attendance figures, dealer response, collector response, accommodations etc.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default wrapup

I too didnt attend and would love to hear all the storys/opinions/tales/fables,etc... I find that stuff always interesting and entertaining

Ral G
Old 08-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Be.n C0z1n

I went for the first time and will offer the following insight. As far as prices go, I was pleasantly surprised to see that most dealers seemed to want to sell. I truly didn't encounter row after row of "museums" as I thought I would. It also seemed to be rather friendly, as dealers are starting to realize that when those in their late 30's ( such as myself ) are some of the youngest collectors, that isn't good sign.

They say that if it exists, it can be found at the national, but I only found 2 dealers that had any 59 Bazooka cards, Couldn't find a T-227 Jack Johnson. ( except for one that was crazy overpriced ) Only 2 dealers had any tobacco ( c56 / c57 ) hockey. So to be honest that was a little disappointing. Just a side note on that topic. If the two dealers that have the vintage hockey will not sell to me at DOUBLE the SMR price, that's correct I was willing to pay double SMR, do you think someone should alert PSA that they are sleeping at the wheel on that one. I don't blame the dealers, I credit them, they've done their homework ( as had I ) on what these really sell for.

Some quick tidbits
Much more "new" / "shiny" stuff than I expected to see.
Overall a very healthy selection of boxing.
Not a lick of vintage soccer ( I've set up at local shows, and have always done outstanding with vintage soccer ( pre 1970 )
Some dealers seemed to have product that would make it difficult for them to cover their expenses even if they sold everything on their table. From an attendee standpoint I'm pleased they came, I bought lots of cards from one of these such dealers, just don't understand it from an economic perspective on their end.
Basically all white males, didn't see any ethnicity at the show
I know he's a lightning rod of sorts, but I enjoyed meeting Levi of 707. Very professional with his set-up and I find him to be pleasant. I know this might sound crazy, but I think their is almost a weird kind of status that would be attached to buying from Levi.
Finally, I hope the dealers did well and I truly feel this is one of the few shows they have an advantage, because I don't think people want to pay the admission, drive/fly all the way to the show and not spend money. I know I bought things that I wouldn't have bothered with at a more "local" show. Sorry this was so long. Please feel free to comment/agree, disagree with anything I've said, etc.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default wrap

Skel,
very nice recap !
Old 08-06-2012, 08:57 PM

Skelly- thanks for the writeup, very interesting. I am not surprised that you didn't find any vintage hockey. The C46 baseball set (Canadian) is a very tough set to ever find also. I know there have been a couple of set breakups on ebay lately but usually the cards are tough, especially in nice shape.
It appears from what I've heard that dealers escalated prices on low grade E98s based on the Swamp Find cards (which makes little sense to me) and that everyone (except Jeff who found a violet E94 Cobb) was unable to find any E94s and very few E99s and E100s.
Someone tell me if I am wrong but it appears D311s were MIA also. Shame, they are such a beautiful set.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelly View Post
...I truly feel this is one of the few shows they have an advantage, because I don't think people want to pay the admission, drive/fly all the way to the show and not spend money. I know I bought things that I wouldn't have bothered with at a more "local" show...
+1

I came home empty handed as far as my prewar focus goes, but picked up some cheap Sandberg stuff just to buy something.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Larry

Thanks for the recap. I'm not surprised you didn't find much '59 Bazooka, as 14 cards in the set are short prints, and are really pretty damn rare (I've been looking for a nice Ashburn for several years now). With the '92 Atlanta National being the first one I attended, I think the old saying that "if it exists, you'll find it at the National" was far more true then, when the number of dealer tables was 2 to 2 and one-half times the present allotment (the internet has become the forum where a much larger chunk of the business is being done these days).

Glad your experience was positive!

Larry
Old 08-06-2012, 11:41 PM

Default Show Floor Info

I hope this is the thread that I can repeat some of the things that I heard on the show floor?
They, that being the National committee tried to book the convention center for 2016, could not get the first week of August, already booked, I didn't ask if they tried for 2017. I guess it will be many years before it returns to Charm City?
Before you ask why it has to be on the first week of August each summer, I was told two years ago that this week is the down week between Little Leauge Baseball and the start of Pop Warner Football. The committee is hoping to make it kid friendly! Just like politics it's all about the youth.

One of my friends talked with a dealer Friday who had brought 7 Mantle Rookies to the show and had sold 5 of them by Friday afternoon and said if he sold the sixth one he was going to pack up Friday evening and leave!

I had a guy grab my arm and ask me if I had seen the Babe Ruth game worn jersey that sold for 4.4 million dollars, then he tells me, that is the 1% that Obama Hates? I was so shocked I didn't no what to say.

Mark WVSportkings
Old 08-07-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
Someone tell me if I am wrong but it appears D311s were MIA also. Shame, they are such a beautiful set.
tbob, I picked up 4 D311s and I saw about a half dozen others.

Andy
Old 08-07-2012, 07:30 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVSPORTKINGS View Post
I had a guy grab my arm and ask me if I had seen the Babe Ruth game worn jersey that sold for 4.4 million dollars, then he tells me, that is the 1% that Obama Hates? I was so shocked I didn't no what to say.
F*** off usually covers it...

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I thought the show was significantly better than last year in terms of both material being sold and prices. Dealers seemed more realistic and were no longer simply dumping their unsold ebay store inventories on tables. As such I ended up with some cards that I didn't expect to find after the past two relatively disappointing Nationals.

I also felt the dealers were a bit more solicitous than in the past, again probably a function of the economy. I even saw some Civil War era material which were real highlights for me. The very back of the floor was mostly a vast wasteland with modern cards and boxed sets but, again, I felt there were more vintage tables set up than last year.

Baltimore is also a great city for the National. Unlike in Chicago, the convention center and connected hotels are close to the good parts of the city.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:33 AM

Default agree with Cdog

Baltimore is a great location - everything within a few blocks of center, including baseball if the O's were in town. Never in a cab except to and from airport.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Ed McCollum

Default Are ball teams ever in town during the National?

I've only been to the last one in St. Louis (94 or 95?) and the Cardinals were on the road then. From Peter's post, I gather that the Orioles were on the road also. When a city hosts the National, is the local team ever at home? Would seem to be a draw for some to go to a game to relax after a day of shopping.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Brian Macdonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha View Post
I've only been to the last one in St. Louis (94 or 95?) and the Cardinals were on the road then. From Peter's post, I gather that the Orioles were on the road also. When a city hosts the National, is the local team ever at home? Would seem to be a draw for some to go to a game to relax after a day of shopping.
The last show in Baltimore the Orioles were in town. I attended five games that week...it was a great time. Too bad the O's weren't at home this year.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:58 AM

The Cubs are always in town when the National is there. I don't know if that is lucky coincidence or planning. Last year the White Sox were also in town but only for one night. Although I go to see old friends and fellow collectors and hopefully vintage cards, the home town team being in town is always a plus for me. I used to always watch the Rangers when it is was in DFW, Cubbies in Chicago and Indians in Cleveland. I remember the 95 National and was very disappointed the Cards were out of town.

Last edited by tbob; 08-07-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Jason Wells

It was my first National so I have no comparison.However I thought it was a great show and had a wide selection available.Just not many T210's.I was able to pick up a few additions including a great deal on a Series 8 Dunn.The dealer who sold it to me said he just came into a nice collection of T210's but sold them the day before in two lots.Wish i caught that deal.I also got to pick up a Red Border from Leon's table and kind of regret not picking up a couple of the nice T209's they had available.

I did succeed in getting my son to start a vintage card set at the show.What started as a passing comment by me has turned into a full blown obsession for him.Its not Baseball but we have to start somewhere.He is Batman crazy right now and when I showed him the 1966 Sets of cards it just clicked.He has bought a few T cards at shows to mimic me I think but never with the passion I see with these cards.A little of the Baseball card topic but it's another young collector getting interested in cards.

All in all it was a great show and I wish it was set for Baltimore in the near future.I hope to get to another National.I enjoyed meeting the collectors I did and wish I could have met more of the ones who have been an pleasure dealing with on the boards.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:32 AM

Jason- did you see Joesvintagesports table at the National? He always has a ton of nice T210s, although they aren't cheap. He will dicker a little on price, but not too much. He also has a website where he sells them. I have found that he is good to deal with and has excellent service and has many cards, especially series 8, which I have been unable to find elsewhere.
tbob
Old 08-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Jason Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
Jason- did you see Joesvintagesports table at the National? He always has a ton of nice T210s, although they aren't cheap. He will dicker a little on price, but not too much. He also has a website where he sells them. I have found that he is good to deal with and has excellent service and has many cards, especially series 8, which I have been unable to find elsewhere.
tbob
Yes I did find Joes and was glad to finally meet him and Tim.I have acquired a lot of T210's from Joes as well as T206's.I agree he has a great selection and will purchase from him again.He does come down some but he usually has nice cards as well.I was looking for some cards I haven't seen on there or anywhere really for sale.He does have a SGC 60 Munson I need but I'm unsure of why it has a premium on it.Thanks Tbob
Old 08-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I thought the show was significantly better than last year in terms of both material being sold and prices. Dealers seemed more realistic and were no longer simply dumping their unsold ebay store inventories on tables. As such I ended up with some cards that I didn't expect to find after the past two relatively disappointing Nationals.

I also felt the dealers were a bit more solicitous than in the past, again probably a function of the economy. I even saw some Civil War era material which were real highlights for me. The very back of the floor was mostly a vast wasteland with modern cards and boxed sets but, again, I felt there were more vintage tables set up than last year.

Baltimore is also a great city for the National. Unlike in Chicago, the convention center and connected hotels are close to the good parts of the city.
As someone born a dozen blocks from the Inner Harbor, I would have to agree with your statement. The Broadway/Inner/Harbor/Little Italy area of Baltimore has both held on t0 the old city charm and grabbed a double handful of the new. As long as you do not stray too far off the path. To the East is the neighborhood I grew up in. It is tired. Owner-occupied homes no longer exist. Without pride of ownership blah,blah,blah. Of course, too far south puts you in the Bay. Too far west finds you in a neighborhood in sadder shape than the one I grew up in. If you go north, you will run smack dab into THE BLOCK which is the Red Light district, not a place for an out-of-towner to be after dark.
I guess the same could be said of any major city but at least B-more has great crabs..........

Last edited by Bocabirdman; 08-08-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:08 PM

Default E98s

Bob,
I found lower grade e98s to be very affordable. I picked up 7 of them, some graded, some raw, but all range in A to 30 condition for an average of less than $100 each. Unfortunately I only found 1 that I needed for my master set, but it is better than none. Down to 10 to go. The one I needed was a blue tenney which I got for $1,350 cheaper from one dealer than the other dealer who had the same card in lesser condition. I believe he is the reason why everyone keeps talking about overpriced e98s. I just ignored his table and went on searching and with a little help from a friend spotting some for me got some great deals. Even with the swamp 98s out there, I'll continue to collect and treasure the lower grade ones that I can afford.
Best wishes,
Tim Kindler
Old 08-08-2012, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
F*** off usually covers it...
lol
Old 08-08-2012, 05:03 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I'd say that this was the worst National in quite a while for me w/r/t material. Percentagewise I came home with more of my money than at any other National. My hotel bill and restaurant/bar tab nearly exceeded my purchases. Mostly MIA from the show were the weekend warriors and local dealers who typically round out the show and from whom I do most of my buying. All of the 'usual suspect' national and full time dealers were there but I can buy from them on Ebay or via mail order. The back of the show between the corporate booths and the autograph pavilion was a virtual wasteland for vintage collectors. There were only about half a dozen booths that weren't maunfactured crap for signing and shiny stuff.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-08-2012, 07:01 AM

I think this years National was as good or better than the 2010 Baltimore National. I enjoyed it as much or more than that one. As usual, the Net54 dinner was the highlight of the National. There wasn't one two years ago.

The Inner Harbor area is now a tourist destination. As someone who grew up in the Baltimore suburbs, I remember driving down and parking really close to the Inner Harbor. This, of course, was before Camden Yards, Ravens stadium, convention center, etc,... The National works well in Baltimore because everything is within walking distance of the convention center and it is very family friendly.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Here are some great write ups from our good friends on the non-sports side....

http://www.network54.com/Forum/52660...m+The+National