NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-19-2013, 09:55 AM
Banned

Default Memory Lane Auction pick-ups

Anyone win anything from lastnights Memory Lane auction? Here's the 2 I ended up winning. Excited to add these to my collection

Old 08-19-2013, 10:44 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Great photos...nice pick ups...
Old 08-19-2013, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Great photos...nice pick ups...
Thanks Leon! I had my eye on a couple Ruth photos, but I wouldve had to sell my fiance' to afford it..lol..wondering if anyone on here bought the other photos Memory sold last night.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:41 AM

Default Memory lane

Memory lane's auction did not close last night? Or if it did I sure missed it. They are in the middle of an auction now in fact
Old 08-19-2013, 11:56 AM

I think it was ebay listing for some quality images.

The price was strong on that 1927 World Series Ruth/Gehrig & Waners, I have one coming up in RMYAuctions too!

Rhys
Old 08-19-2013, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
Memory lane's auction did not close last night? Or if it did I sure missed it. They are in the middle of an auction now in fact
They had alot of stuff that ended lastnight including some Type 1 underwood & underwood photos
Old 08-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prewarsports View Post
I think it was ebay listing for some quality images.

The price was strong on that 1927 World Series Ruth/Gehrig & Waners, I have one coming up in RMYAuctions too!

Rhys
Ya that was one I was really looking at, but had no idea it would go that high. What makes that photo so pricey? Ive seen alot nicer ones from Yee's auctions go for alot less
Old 08-19-2013, 01:17 PM
D@niel.P@trick.Johnson

Love those old photos!
The second one was probably taken right after a game or something, but the players look like just finished a battle!.......
Old 08-19-2013, 02:13 PM
Ryan

Nice pickups. Way out of my price range.

It appears the U&U took very good care of their archives. The photos look great.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.P.Johnson View Post
Love those old photos!
The second one was probably taken right after a game or something, but the players look like just finished a battle!.......
Actually this was taken right before they played the cardinals in the world series
Old 08-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyF1981 View Post
Anyone win anything from lastnights Memory Lane auction? Here's the 2 I ended up winning. Excited to add these to my collection

Great photos.. the one with the 28 yanks is what it is and I love the one with all the photographers! GREAT PRICES for sure.

I guess the cat is out of the bag and I am not going to pick off anything cheap now. Joey.. your link just alerted the entire net54 photo community now.. good luck going forward...
Anyway, Memory Lane will be having weekly EBAY auctions of underwood and underwood photos as some of you know.

I was outbid on everything this time around.. lots of action. It is a good place for those of you who are just getting into photos and/or want quality images and need a weekly fix.

The 27 waner/ruth/gehrig photo was a GEM. I have seen much worse go for much more.

It will be fun to follow these auctions for sure. Congrats to the winners!

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 08-19-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:57 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Both excellent photos, in my opinion. Lots of character, the first one especially.

Last edited by drcy; 08-19-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Great photos.. the one with the 28 yanks is what it is and I love the one with all the photographers! GREAT PRICES for sure.

I guess the cat is out of the bag and I am not going to pick off anything cheap now. Joey.. your link just alerted the entire net54 photo community now.. good luck going forward...
Anyway, Memory Lane will be having weekly EBAY auctions of underwood and underwood photos as some of you know.

I was outbid on everything this time around.. lots of action. It is a good place for those of you who are just getting into photos and/or want quality images and need a weekly fix.

The 27 waner/ruth/gehrig photo was a GEM. I have seen much worse go for much more.

It will be fun to follow these auctions for sure. Congrats to the winners!

Ben- I was wondering when you were going to post a comment...lol...Its funny because I was planning on buying a ruth photo, but for some reason I was really hooked on the mcgraw with photographers photo. The image is awesome and couldnt pass it up. The 28 yanks was a last minute decision because I really wanted the Ruth/cobb photo. By the way what made the Ruth/gehrig photo sell for so high? Its a fantastic photo, but Ive seen others that looked just as good from Yee's auction sell for alot less. I guess its alot about the significance and subject matter of the photo which drives price. The dimaggio photo was pretty nice too.

Last edited by JoeyF1981; 08-19-2013 at 10:18 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Both excellent photos, in my opinion. Lots of character, the first one especially.
definintley agree! I almost passed it up, but the image is classic so I had to go for it
Old 08-20-2013, 07:09 AM
J0n Fu.ld

Quote:
+10000

I bought the Ruth Cobb. Photo is Opening Day, 1927, Yankees vs. A's at Yankee Stadium with Cobb visiting.

Any Ruth/Cobb is a tough find, only a handful have surfaced, but also loved that it was Cobb visiting Yankee Stadium - and to play Ruth on Opening Day 1927.

Last edited by BigJJ; 08-20-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:15 AM
J0n Fu.ld

Photo
Old 08-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJJ View Post
+10000

Any Ruth/Cobb is a tough find, only a handful have surfaced, but also loved that it was Cobb visiting Yankee Stadium - and to play Ruth on Opening Day 1927.
Not picked up last night but any Ruth/Cobb cards from their playing days are almost non-existent. This one is from 1927-1928

Last edited by Leon; 08-20-2013 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Photo
Damnit! lol....Congrats bro
Old 08-20-2013, 10:56 AM
J0n Fu.ld

Quote:
Damnit! lol....Congrats bro
Thanks
Old 08-20-2013, 11:02 AM
Belltown Vintage

Wow - great photos. Guess I should start paying attention to ebay again.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Second photog from right (standing) really shouldn't have been smoking while holding a bazooka! What?...that is a camera? Ok, nevermind.

Great photos Joey!
Old 08-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by horzverti View Post
Second photog from right (standing) really shouldn't have been smoking while holding a bazooka! What?...that is a camera? Ok, nevermind.

Great photos Joey!

LOL....imagine going on a trip with your family and having to carry that around everywhere you went. Id just put a chain around it and put it around my neck.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
LOL....imagine going on a trip with your family and having to carry that around everywhere you went. Id just put a chain around it and put it around my neck.
This is an awesome photo for sure. I love the originals with cameras in them for obvious reasons Congrats again Joey!

Old 08-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default Memory lane pickup

As many of you know, I am a collector of original photos(Primarily Ruth now) and generally stick with the "TYPE 1s".
HOWEVER, this TYPE 3 is worthy in many ways.

1) content is exceptional(slug on back ect)
2) ruth rookie
3) a dupe neg type 3(not wire)
4) pretty darn clear for a dupe neg
5) relatively large(ruth is 3.5 by 6 alone)
6) still rare as a mo fo

I think I did VERY VERY WELL on the price but then again who knows. All I know is I am happy as a ten *eckered billy goat to own it.

I can't wait for more U AND U images to at least look at. Good stuff Memory Lane..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baby.jpg (76.9 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg baster.jpg (80.6 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg babester2.jpg (74.4 KB, 149 views)

Old 08-26-2013, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
As many of you know, I am a collector of original photos(Primarily Ruth now) and generally stick with the "TYPE 1s".

2) ruth rookie
6) still rare as a mo fo

I think I did VERY VERY WELL on the price but then again who knows. All I know is I am happy as a ten *eckered billy goat to own it.

I can't wait for more U AND U images to at least look at. Good stuff Memory Lane..

I was wondering who picked that one up...congrats you lucky MO FO!!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:12 PM
J0n Fu.ld

Great piece Ben.

Curious as to your thoughts on the 27 Yankee photo. Was the largest and cleanest example I have seen. I was a close underbidder. The two aspects of concern with regard to going higher were the number of examples out there, even though they may be inferior, and Ruth looked like he had too many hot dogs that day, but beautiful and important photo.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:

2) ruth rookie
6) still rare as a mo fo

Awesome pickup, Ben! Nice job on immediately applying the watermark, BTW!

I wish I had known about the Smokey Joe and Ernie Shore. I would have possibly bid on those. What a trio of photos!
Old 08-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post

I wish I had known about the Smokey Joe and Ernie Shore. I would have possibly bid on those. What a trio of photos!
HAHA.. thanks buddy. i'll be damned if people will sell s*it copies of my photos on ebay for $8 bucks a piece

Thanks Joey I do not display my photos nfortunately. That is why I created a website. I have them all locked away in safety deposit box at bank so nobody can steal them and fires and floods can't destroy them.

BIGJJ,

The winner of the Yanks photo did very well IMO due to size and all players looking right into camera.
I remember when one sold for 5500on ebay a year or two ago just like this(with the borders). I like caps though.

Last edited by Forever Young; 08-26-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 PM
J0n Fu.ld

Ben,
Interesting. Thanks.
Agree regarding caps.
J
Old 08-27-2013, 06:35 AM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe all three players were part of one combined photo that Ben won.

Great pick-up btw.

Ben - how did you know that it was a type 3 photo?? Is it because it is U&U or b/c of the slug or b/c of a date stamp? I had assumed it was a type I when I saw the listing, but I suppose the price reflects that hobbyists knew it was type 3.

Or perhaps I am simply ignorant to the distinction b/w type 1 and 3, which has likely been explained 100x on this forum. The slug clearly has a time stamp of 1915.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 08-27-2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Ignorance and desire to learn distinction b/w type 1 and 3
Old 08-27-2013, 08:08 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

It's a type 3 because it's a composite.
Type 3s are defined as not printed from the original negative, but printed within the same approximate 2yr window as a type 1.
Composites have multiple separate photos shot together to create a new negative which is used to print from.
IMHO, this is a weakness in the type system. To me, each of these are an original creation by either the photographer or editor to be used at that time. I think these should be considered type 1s.

BTW... Great pick-up Ben!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL

Last edited by Lordstan; 08-27-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:36 AM
J0n Fu.ld

Mark, Agreed

Type 3 designation for composite photos is not the best designation - as it implies that there are two levels better, when in fact, this is not the case.

Composite photos such as this are the top form of the piece.

In the art world, these would be considered the original work of the artist (which is defined as work done by the artist and/or at the artist's direction by others). Type 3 composite photos are similar to Type 1 photos in that they are both the original work of the photographer/artist.

I might call the them "Type 1 - Composite"
as they need to be differentiated from regular Type I, but not be defined as less than a Type 1.

Last edited by BigJJ; 08-27-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordstan View Post
IMHO, this is a weakness in the type system. To me, each of these are an original creation by either the photographer or editor to be used at that time. I think these should be considered type 1s.

BTW... Great pick-up Ben!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Thanks Mark!

I don't see how this is a weakness of the Type system AT ALL though.
It is not a type 3 just because it is a composite. It is a type 3 because each photo within the composite were made from dupe negatives to put it all together(thus, not as clear as a type 1). If ANYTHING it is a STRENGTH of the TYPE SYSTEM. I WOULD MUCH RATHER HAVE A TYPE 1 OF THE RUTH SHOT THAN THIS. THUS, IT IS IMPERATIVE TO HAVE A SYSTEM TO SEPARATE THE TWO.
However, just because it is a type 3 doesn't make it bad. The type system is just defining what it is. I don't see how this is a weakness in any way shape or form. It is why the system is necessary.
Again, the TYPE system if anything is more specific than any other classification IMO.

Last edited by Forever Young; 08-27-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Mark, Agreed

Type 3 designation for composite photos is not the best designation - as it implies that there are two levels better, when in fact, this is not the case.

Composite photos such as this are the top form of the piece.

In the art world, these would be considered the original work of the artist (which is defined as work done by the artist and/or at the artist's direction by others). Type 3 composite photos are similar to Type 1 photos in that they are both the original work of the photographer/artist.

I might call the them "Type 1 - Composite"
as they need to be differentiated from regular Type I, but not be defined as less than a Type 1.
So you don't like it because of the number it is given?? LOL cOME ON JJ..
Original artworks? Ok fine.. I will agree with that....but not the same in quality. Again, the type system defines what it is. It is up to the buyer to decide the value themselves. I think changing it like you say would add a lot more confusion. All one has to do is read the definitions and think a bit. This should not be worth more than an ORIGINAL TYPE 1 of just Ruth IMO. IT IS a lesser form of photo. HOWEVER, I DO APPRECIATE THE PROCESS AND THAT IT WAS CREATED IN 1915(THUS I BOUGHT IT) . I would not have paid type 1 money for it though(like the one in heritage that went for 10k).

BIGJJ AND MARK... I like the way you both thin, love your passion and love talking photos with you(you know that). I just do not agree with these two "faults" you see in the TYPE SYSTEM.
Now stay away from photos I want to buy

Last edited by Forever Young; 08-27-2013 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:54 AM
J0n Fu.ld

Just trying to give your piece a big bump up Ben

I agree B, and would much rather have a Type 1 than a Type 3 Composite, no matter the classification of the composite. and I would think that if the Type 3 that are composites were reclassified to "Type 1 - Composite", that this would still be regarded as a less desirable category than Type 1, as it arguably should be due to clarity.

Last edited by BigJJ; 08-27-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:58 AM
J0n Fu.ld

The key is to corner the Type 3 that are composites market - and then lobby for reclassification.

Last edited by BigJJ; 08-27-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:03 AM
Belltown Vintage

Ben, fabulous pic - the fact that it is second-generation is a 'who cares?' thing.

Amazing
Old 08-27-2013, 10:04 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
The key is to corner the Type 3 that are composites market - and then lobby for reclassification.
HAHA LOVE IT

Old 08-27-2013, 10:05 AM
J0n Fu.ld

In all seriousness though, I do think original composites, created by the photographer and/or at his direction, should have their own category, even if it is "Type 3 - Composite". To me, they are superior to regular Type 3.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
In all seriousness though, I do think original composites, created by the photographer and/or at his direction, should have their own category, even if it is "Type 3 - Composite". To me, they are superior to regular Type 3.
Well.. that's fine. There certainly is a difference. It is not that big of a deal to me as I can desipher I guess and feel it is easy to do so. One is a composite and one is a product of a wire machine(both products of process' diffferent than off the original neg). If you know this, you can assign your own value. No big deal.
I think is fine the way it is as a whole. I do see your point though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Ben, fabulous pic - the fact that it is second-generation is a 'who cares?' thing.

Amazing
Thanks Scott!

Last edited by Forever Young; 08-27-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Banned

Newest memory lane pick-up
Old 08-27-2013, 12:46 PM
Ryan

Joey -Have you recieved the first photos you won from Memory Lane? I'm curious to hear if the are in as good of condition as they look in the scans?

The condition of the photos in the scans almost looks like they are too good to be true. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by repsher View Post
Joey -Have you recieved the first photos you won from Memory Lane? I'm curious to hear if the are in as good of condition as they look in the scans?

The condition of the photos in the scans almost looks like they are too good to be true. Thanks.

Hey ryan...YES they were actually better than I expected. I know memory lane displays their ohotos at 300 DPI so you can see all the imperfections if any. They both look great and are just as nice if not better than what I posted
Old 08-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Hey ryan...YES they were actually better than I expected. I know memory lane displays their ohotos at 300 DPI so you can see all the imperfections if any. They both look great and are just as nice if not better than what I posted
These are coming direct from the archives so that makes sense. The file copies have been in a darn file for god's sake!..lol!

I have not received the Ruth yet but it shipped already today. I am also looking forward to the condition!

Beautiful photos Joey

Last edited by Forever Young; 08-27-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
These are coming direct from the archives so that makes sense. The file copies have been in a darn file for god's sake!..lol!

I have not receive dteh Ruth yet but it shipped already today to I am also looking forward to teh condition!

Beautiful photos Joey
Thanks ben! Coming from you thats a huge compliment. Im sure youll be happy with the quality of the photo. By the way do you usually send your photos to psa to have encapsulated or just display them as is?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
By the way do you usually send your photos to psa to have encapsulated or just display them as is?
Hahahahahaha

Joey, Ben is a vintage photograph expert. And I agree with all here - you picked up some real beauties.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Hahahahahaha

Joey, Ben is a vintage photograph expert. And I agree with all here - you picked up some real beauties.
Lol....I knew that was a dumb question right after I asked....can we pretend that didnt happen..lol
Old 08-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Lol....I knew that was a dumb question right after I asked....can we pretend that didnt happen..lol
It's not that dumb. It's just that Ben and I had a long conversation recently about PSA-slabbed photos, so it was kind of on my mind already.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Thanks ben! Coming from you thats a huge compliment. Im sure youll be happy with the quality of the photo. By the way do you usually send your photos to psa to have encapsulated or just display them as is?
Joey,

I really have not sent mine in. HOWEVER, if I was ever going to sell them all at 3rd party auction, I would def get them psa dna authenticated as I believe it would attract more bidding from those who are unsure. If you are unsure what you have, it would be a good service to use obviously(imo). Make sense?

Right now I just do high res scans and look on computer over and over again like a pycho. I store them in a couple large safety deposit boxes in photo archival books. Someday I would love to display them all as an art/museum presentation in a large room. IDK…What can I say.. I am a dreamer. 

Last edited by Forever Young; 08-27-2013 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Joey,

I really have not sent mine in. HOWEVER, if I was ever going to sell them all at 3rd party auction, I would def get them psa dna authenticated as I believe it would attract more bidding from those who are unsure. If you are unsure what you have, it would be a good service to use obviously(imo). Make sense?

Right now I just do high res scans and look on computer over and over again like a pycho. I store them in a couple large safety deposit boxes in photo archival books. Someday I would love to display them all as an art/museum presentation in a large room. IDK…What can I say.. I am a dreamer. 
Is there any particular archival photo book you recommend? I just have mine in those large plastic top loaders that they came in from the sellers