NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-28-2018, 03:46 PM
toppcat's Avatar
toppcat toppcat is offline
Dave.Horn.ish
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,880
Default MEARS Boxing Mega Lot

Not sure I've seen this here yet but Mears has a monstrous collection on the block: http://sports.mearsonlineauctions.co...LOT119021.aspx

Yikes!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-28-2018, 03:56 PM
RedsFan1941 RedsFan1941 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 610
Default

2 thoughts immediately come to mind:

1. why mears?

2. and if you chose mears, why not have them sell such a group in smaller lots? they are certainly an auction house that can do that. look at how many $5 and $10 lots they have just in this auction.
__________________
R0nnie L3hman
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-28-2018, 07:30 PM
Arazi4442 Arazi4442 is online now
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 134
Default

I completely agree with the "why not break it up" point.

There's probably quite a few lots I would be interested in but no way I'm going to bid on a 1600 item lot. Seems like you're limiting bidders to only dealers - who will break up this lot and sell anyway. Odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
2 thoughts immediately come to mind:

1. why mears?

2. and if you chose mears, why not have them sell such a group in smaller lots? they are certainly an auction house that can do that. look at how many $5 and $10 lots they have just in this auction.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-29-2018, 11:48 AM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 6,633
Default

The lot is my collection. The decision to try and sell it was not easily arrived at and I am conflicted about it. I am trying to raise money for my daughter to attend medical school.

When I did this, I realized that buying a collection is not for everyone and that collectors will see pieces they would love to own...and that there would be some grousing about the collection for sale structure. I get that. I have standing offers of purchase on a good percentage of the collection and I am sure that there are other pieces that would sell well at auction as individual items. However, I am not interested in having the collection cherry-picked. If I wanted to have that happen I could dribble the cards a few a week into the eBay maelstrom over the next two years and wring out every retail dime, but I simply do not have the time to do it.

I am of the view that offering the collection as a collection gives a potential buyer a unique opportunity to pick up a 'turn key' collection that can be expanded and improved upon over time. There is a hell of a collection-filling opportunity there for anyone who wants to fill out their collection without taking the 20+ years I spent amassing it, and then piecemeal sell the rest.

I am pretty proud of the comprehensive type card collection. There is stuff there from all over the world and from many issues that simply do not come up for sale. I am a bit of an obsessive and I spent a hell of a lot of time doing very tedious research and communications with the help of translation programs with vendors all over the world to get some of the most obscure foreign cards. Some of them have logged over 20,000 air miles with mail returns and errors that took cards from South America to New York to South America to LA.

The last thing I want to make sure to mention is that I have a reasonable reserve on the lot. No one will be 'stealing' the collection. That said, there is tremendous value there for anyone who wants to take the time to retail the lot. Check out the spreadsheet linked to the offering. That was one of the features that Troy and I agreed would be a unique feature of this auction: you get a comprehensive look at precisely what is in the auction. If you have questions about a specific card, please post them here and I will post a scan if I have one. I have nearly all of it scanned. If someone here buys the lot, I will even send you the scans via drop box so you can immediately use them as you see fit. That's not part of the auction verbiage but I am happy to do it for my colleagues on N54.
__________________
Please visit my web site: www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
So... move out of your studio apartment! And try speaking to a real live woman, and GROW THE HELL UP! I mean, it's just baseball cards dammit, IT'S JUST BASEBALL CARDS!
10% off any BIN in my eBay store (user name: exhibitman) for N54 members buying direct from me through this site instead, just PM me.

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-29-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-29-2018, 12:33 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 13,805
Default

I had a feeling it might be yours Adam. Best of luck with the auction.
__________________
Buy high, sell low.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-29-2018, 03:08 PM
D. Bergin's Avatar
D. Bergin D. Bergin is offline
Dave
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 3,373
Default

Good luck Adam.

Had a feeling also.

A part of me was hoping it wasn't, but of course priorities have to come first. Still paying bills off from my own daughters student loans.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-29-2018, 03:54 PM
RedsFan1941 RedsFan1941 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 610
Default

good luck with the sale of an amazing collection. and thank you for disclosing here that there is a reserve. will mears add the reserve to the auction description or will it remain hidden to non-net-54 bidders?
__________________
R0nnie L3hman
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-29-2018, 05:09 PM
Exhibitman's Avatar
Exhibitman Exhibitman is offline
Ad@m W@r$h@w
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Beautiful Downtown Burbank
Posts: 6,633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
good luck with the sale of an amazing collection. and thank you for disclosing here that there is a reserve. will mears add the reserve to the auction description or will it remain hidden to non-net-54 bidders?

I have no idea how that works.
__________________
Please visit my web site: www.americasgreatboxingcards.com
So... move out of your studio apartment! And try speaking to a real live woman, and GROW THE HELL UP! I mean, it's just baseball cards dammit, IT'S JUST BASEBALL CARDS!
10% off any BIN in my eBay store (user name: exhibitman) for N54 members buying direct from me through this site instead, just PM me.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-29-2018, 05:19 PM
Arazi4442 Arazi4442 is online now
member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 134
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
The lot is my collection. The decision to try and sell it was not easily arrived at and I am conflicted about it. I am trying to raise money for my daughter to attend medical school.

When I did this, I realized that buying a collection is not for everyone and that collectors will see pieces they would love to own...and that there would be some grousing about the collection for sale structure. I get that. I have standing offers of purchase on a good percentage of the collection and I am sure that there are other pieces that would sell well at auction as individual items. However, I am not interested in having the collection cherry-picked. If I wanted to have that happen I could dribble the cards a few a week into the eBay maelstrom over the next two years and wring out every retail dime, but I simply do not have the time to do it.

I am of the view that offering the collection as a collection gives a potential buyer a unique opportunity to pick up a 'turn key' collection that can be expanded and improved upon over time. There is a hell of a collection-filling opportunity there for anyone who wants to fill out their collection without taking the 20+ years I spent amassing it, and then piecemeal sell the rest.

I am pretty proud of the comprehensive type card collection. There is stuff there from all over the world and from many issues that simply do not come up for sale. I am a bit of an obsessive and I spent a hell of a lot of time doing very tedious research and communications with the help of translation programs with vendors all over the world to get some of the most obscure foreign cards. Some of them have logged over 20,000 air miles with mail returns and errors that took cards from South America to New York to South America to LA.

The last thing I want to make sure to mention is that I have a reasonable reserve on the lot. No one will be 'stealing' the collection. That said, there is tremendous value there for anyone who wants to take the time to retail the lot. Check out the spreadsheet linked to the offering. That was one of the features that Troy and I agreed would be a unique feature of this auction: you get a comprehensive look at precisely what is in the auction. If you have questions about a specific card, please post them here and I will post a scan if I have one. I have nearly all of it scanned. If someone here buys the lot, I will even send you the scans via drop box so you can immediately use them as you see fit. That's not part of the auction verbiage but I am happy to do it for my colleagues on N54.

Fair enough, Adam

Best of luck!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-05-2018, 10:39 PM
FourStrikes's Avatar
FourStrikes FourStrikes is offline
ThreadKiller
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 605
Default boxing collection

Adam:

great lot / collection...that's a helluva batch of great stuff!

Last edited by FourStrikes; 05-06-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mega Millions MacDice Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 54 01-13-2016 05:31 PM
?Mega-T-206 set? Theo_450 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 7 03-29-2013 08:44 AM
Mega Millions Jackpot Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 24 12-13-2008 01:37 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.


ebay GSB