NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 08-17-2017, 12:35 PM

That's part of the Yankees that you can't get away from.

On the flip side, I don't hear anyone saying much about Mookie Betts. He came in 2nd in MVP voting last year but this year his average is almost 50 points lower and his OPS is 100 points lower.
Old 08-17-2017, 05:29 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
That's part of the Yankees that you can't get away from.

On the flip side, I don't hear anyone saying much about Mookie Betts. He came in 2nd in MVP voting last year but this year his average is almost 50 points lower and his OPS is 100 points lower.
He projects to about 25 HR 100 RBI so not a terrible year production wise but yeah he is well below where he was a year ago. Still young, and nothing IMO glaringly wrong, so time will tell.

PS Judge just whiffed in his first two at bats, extending his new record.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-17-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:51 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
He projects to about 25 HR 100 RBI so not a terrible year production wise but yeah he is well below where he was a year ago. Still young, and nothing IMO glaringly wrong, so time will tell.

PS Judge just whiffed in his first two at bats, extending his new record.
Wow. Has there been any talk about sending him down to stop the bleeding?

I can't imagine he wants to add any further to it, but maybe he's determined and doesn't really sive a ghit?
Old 08-17-2017, 08:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Wow. Has there been any talk about sending him down to stop the bleeding?

I can't imagine he wants to add any further to it, but maybe he's determined and doesn't really sive a ghit?
Three whiffs tonight so far, it's painful really to watch.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:49 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Three whiffs tonight so far, it's painful really to watch.
Is that 34 or 35 now? Not sure why they don't remove him from that by sending him down but there is likely more to it than that?

I can't see this new record and his current slump, let alone all the attention he is getting, doing anything for his confidence and self esteem.

Maybe he has said no to any suggestion of such and wants to work through it himself? Who knows?
It would make for a great story if he is able to turn things around and find his form like he had at the start of the season.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:00 AM

You're worried about his confidence so you want to send down a guy who will win ROY and leads your team in all offensive categories, not to mention leads the entire AL in runs, home runs, slugging and OPS? And do it while battling for a play off spot?

Last edited by packs; 08-18-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
You're worried about his confidence so you want to send down a guy who will win ROY and leads your team in all offensive categories, not to mention leads the entire AL in runs, home runs, slugging and OPS? And do it while battling for a play off spot?
I think at this point you just let it ride and hope he picks it up at least a little bit. But if he continues for the rest of the season to strike out in nearly half his at bats (which he did last year in his brief debut BTW), I think you need to reassess. At this point the book seems to be out whether he is a real star just going through a prolonged slump, or whether his first half was just an aberration. Fascinating story really, made more so by the fact that he is so physically imposing and at the same time seemingly a wonderful guy.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-18-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:32 AM
qu@n nguy3n

peter--as a sox fan you're way too invested in a yankees player. go start a thread about bogaerts' annual 2nd half slump or devers' impact on this red sox season.

just going on track record and scouting reports i'd take the next 10 years of devers over judge (caveat devers doesn't start eating like pablo sandoval).
Old 08-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
peter--as a sox fan you're way too invested in a yankees player. go start a thread about bogaerts' annual 2nd half slump or devers' impact on this red sox season.

just going on track record and scouting reports i'd take the next 10 years of devers over judge (caveat devers doesn't start eating like pablo sandoval).
Quan, yeah Devers looks promising but who knows. I still have hopes for Benintendi I think he is solid and has a big upside.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:00 AM

I'm actually hoping to capitalize on the post-Benintendi hype and pick up some of his cards for cheap over the winter. I think he's going to be really good even though he didn't quite live up to the hype this year.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:20 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I'm actually hoping to capitalize on the post-Benintendi hype and pick up some of his cards for cheap over the winter. I think he's going to be really good even though he didn't quite live up to the hype this year.
He's picked it up recently, he's over .400 for August with a 10 game hit streak. The hype out of Boston was way overdone but he seems like the type of player with strong fundamentals who will keep getting better.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-18-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:46 PM
qu@n nguy3n

As an objective observer I'd take Benny over judge long term also...but TBH I don't think either gonna be top 5-10 players yr in n yr out going forward
Old 08-19-2017, 12:10 PM
Mike

Judge looks flat out awful. He's lucky he was hit on that 0-2 pitch. Almost looked
like he stuck out his elbow on purpose, can't say I blame him.
Girardi needs to drop him down in the lineup, that's for sure.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:39 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

When Judge passed Dunn for consecutive games it was just for position players in a single season.

After his 36th consecutive game tonight he has the record in a single season of all players passing pitcher, Bill Stoneman. He is also just one away from tying the record that spans two seasons at 37 games (Stoneman 1971-72).
Old 08-20-2017, 09:08 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Judge needs a strikeout coach.

I would suggest Mariano Rivera.

In 19 years in the bigs, he only struck out once.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-20-2017, 02:49 PM
Al Richter

Frank must be lost
Old 08-20-2017, 04:37 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Default Aaron Judge Will NEVER Beat MY Record:

I struck out in 21 consecutive at-bats in Pony League.

That's when I started pitching...luckily, the days of the DH quickly followed.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 08-23-2017, 03:46 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
you guys would probably bash adam dunn too.

we are not even watching the same game. gallo is delivering great value on a rookie contract and you wanna send him to the minors and have a 10mil scrappy utility man take his place probably...
Simply stated, Gallo needs to learn to hit the ball. Most comparable player: Rob Deer, although Deer hit .220 for his career. The air lives in fear of Gallo's bat; the ball feels very, very secure in comparison!

Regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 08-23-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:51 PM
Nick Barnes

Gallo is somehow being productive tho. .890 OPS, 127 wRC+ is pretty darn good
Old 08-23-2017, 06:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

The interesting question for players like this is whether the incremental power when they do hit the ball offsets all those extra outs and strikeouts. I guess it all depends which stats you think are more reliable.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:51 PM
D@le Irv*n

Glad to see Judge's streak is over, but, of course, it isn't without controversy.
http://nypost.com/2017/08/23/whiff-o...t-streak-ends/
Old 08-24-2017, 07:33 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Glad to see Judge's streak is over, but, of course, it isn't without controversy.
http://nypost.com/2017/08/23/whiff-o...t-streak-ends/
LOL the pressure would have been on in that final at bat.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Man, he's about to dip under .280. This is awful. 0 for 4 and 2 Ks today so far. Cmon Aaron.

Old 08-26-2017, 03:44 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

"All Rise"

will be replaced by

"Please Be Seated"

very soon indeed.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:17 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Man, he's about to dip under .280. This is awful. 0 for 4 and 2 Ks today so far. Cmon Aaron.
.176 since the All Star game.

Aaron Judge’s struggles continued on Saturday as the slumping slugger went 0-for-5 with three strikeouts.

He is now 15 for his last 82 and is hitting .176 since the All-Star break.

Girardi plans to give Judge a day off soon, but not because he’s slumping.

“I think at some point in a 29 out of 30 day stretch he’s going to need a day off,” he said.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:23 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
.176 since the All Star game.

Aaron Judge’s struggles continued on Saturday as the slumping slugger went 0-for-5 with three strikeouts.

He is now 15 for his last 82 and is hitting .176 since the All-Star break.

Girardi plans to give Judge a day off soon, but not because he’s slumping.

“I think at some point in a 29 out of 30 day stretch he’s going to need a day off,” he said.
Epic. I hope this young man can turn it around at least to the point where he can be a respectable player and not a footnote. I joked with a board member after the HR Derby that it was all downhill from there, and unfortunately there seems to be some element of truth in that.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:26 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Epic. I hope this young man can turn it around at least to the point where he can be a respectable player and not a footnote. I joked with a board member after the HR Derby that it was all downhill from there, and unfortunately there seems to be some element of truth in that.
Me too. He seems like a great kid who would more than likely give you the shirt off his back if he had to?.

My gut tells me he'll get things figured out and be a great player someday.
Old 09-01-2017, 10:22 AM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

He is an apparent victim of the curse of winning the All - Star Home Run Derby contest.
Just as there is the Madden NFL game cover curse and the Sports Illustrated magazine cover curse ( for those players who are rookies or have yet to appear in a professional level game but have so much hype ) we have had for a few years now the All - Star Home Run Derby Curse.
Wonder what will be the next curse ?
Old 09-01-2017, 12:15 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klrdds View Post
He is an apparent victim of the curse of winning the All - Star Home Run Derby contest.
Just as there is the Madden NFL game cover curse and the Sports Illustrated magazine cover curse ( for those players who are rookies or have yet to appear in a professional level game but have so much hype ) we have had for a few years now the All - Star Home Run Derby Curse.
Wonder what will be the next curse ?
In 2005 Bobby Abreu surprised most hitting 41 in the HRD.
I don't think he surprised many others thereafter.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:30 AM

Heating up now, isn't he? 4 homers in the past week. 2 yesterday. Has 19 total bases in his last 20 at bats.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:22 AM
Dave

Quote:
Heating up now, isn't he? 4 homers in the past week. 2 yesterday. Has 19 total bases in his last 20 at bats.

Got his OPS back above 1.000 to................and as long as he keeps getting on base and keeping his OBP over .400, any comparisons to a Rob Deer or Dave Kingman type are pretty baseless.

Still wouldn't stock up in his cards long term, but as a Yankee fan he's way exceeded my expectations, recent slump or not.

What does give me a bit of pause is that Judge's latest tear has come against really sub-par pitchers. September call-ups essentially.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 09-15-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:23 AM

Taken as a whole this is a very impressive season from a player the Yankees had modest expectations for at the end of 2016.
I'm rooting for the guy.
RayB
Old 09-15-2017, 09:35 AM

Give me all the 25 year old right fielders you can to pencil in at 270 and 40-100.

Judge currently leads the league in runs, home runs, walks, and is second in Slugging, OPS and OBP only to Mike Trout, who has played just 99 games. Judge has played 140. I would call him the true leader in those categories too.

Last edited by packs; 09-15-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:48 AM
Matt

When it's all said and done, Judge's 2017 season will go down as one of the best rookie seasons— heck, it already is. And from a homegrown Yankee with an endearing persona. He's a fan favorite for many years to come.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:49 AM
Brandon V.

Quote:
In the last ten games he has posted a 1.309 OPS.

A pretty good improvement from .533.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:39 AM
Scott Russell

Two words, Jay Buhner. I think those are reasonable expectations for him. Of course the market for his rookie card might not be happy with the comparison...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 09-15-2017, 12:04 PM

Jay Buhner never led the league in anything but strike outs. His highest single season WAR was 3.5. Judge is already at 6.7. He has surpassed Buhner's best season in his rookie season.

Last edited by packs; 09-15-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Scott Russell

Yes and I would bet you he never sniffs another 6.7 season, his reality is somewhere between his insane start (I mean a .440 average on balls in play is just not real) and his 2nd half swoon. Hence, Jay Buhner. 40 homerun power nice OBP. In New York that'll be enough to get him to a bunch of all-star games.

We don't have to agree, Although I think it's funny that now that we're not talking about Corey Dickerson suddenly you are interested in WAR...

Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 09-15-2017, 01:59 PM

You probably would have said Judge wouldn't sniff 6.7 at the beginning of the year, but here we are with him there. The only comparison between Buhner and Judge is a home run total, which I think ignores every other aspect of Judge's game.

Last edited by packs; 09-15-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:59 PM
Scott Russell

You don't even bother to read my posts. Power and OBP, pretty much where I feel Judge will settle in. He hits singles and homeruns, there's a reason he didn't make the majors until 25, and never hit for anything remotely resembling these numbers in the minors. You'd think I was insulting him comparing him to a guy who hit 310 HR's with a .360 OBP.

I didn't mention a fielding comparison, Buhner was a decent fielder with an awesome arm, hard to know how that equates with Judge's fielding which is pretty good, but his arm doesn't seem like anything special.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:08 PM

I don't know too many players who hit 40 plus homers by accident. He went to college for 4 years and made his debut at 24 years old. When people say "two words" it's always meant to be some kind of caution. I don't see a caution in a 25 year old guy who hits 40 homers, gets on base and scores runs. Saying Buhner level power output is pretty broad and that could apply to anyone who hits home runs but it's the combination of getting on base and scoring runs that make up Judge's game.

Last edited by packs; 09-15-2017 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:19 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
I don't know too many players who hit 40 plus homers by accident. He went to college for 4 years and made his debut at 24 years old. When people say "two words" it's always meant to be some kind of caution. I don't see a caution in a 25 year old guy who hits 40 homers, gets on base and scores runs. Saying Buhner level power output is pretty broad and that could apply to anyone who hits home runs but it's the combination of getting on base and scoring runs that make up Judge's game.
40 HR's by accident? When did I ever say that? I compared him to a guy who hit 40 home runs 3 times. Scoring runs is an ability that has almost nothing to do with the player scoring them. Yes a great base runner may add a couple runs per year over an average one, and a home run hitter obviously scores himself, but runs scored is basically an indicator of how good your teammates are.

But let's pretend I actually did say he's hitting 40 by accident. I DO know a number of players who did just that. Rico Petrocelli, Davey Johnson, Andre Dawson, Adrian Beltre, Roger Maris, and that's leaving off steroid suspects like Brady Anderson and Luis Gonzalez.

Note that a lot of these guys had power, but the difference between their best season and their second best season is HUGE, so I say it was an "accident," or a fluke.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
40 HR's by accident? When did I ever say that? I compared him to a guy who hit 40 home runs 3 times. Scoring runs is an ability that has almost nothing to do with the player scoring them. Yes a great base runner may add a couple runs per year over an average one, and a home run hitter obviously scores himself, but runs scored is basically an indicator of how good your teammates are.

But let's pretend I actually did say he's hitting 40 by accident. I DO know a number of players who did just that. Rico Petrocelli, Davey Johnson, Andre Dawson, Adrian Beltre, Roger Maris, and that's leaving off steroid suspects like Brady Anderson and Luis Gonzalez.

Note that a lot of these guys had power, but the difference between their best season and their second best season is HUGE, so I say it was an "accident," or a fluke.
Now, Scott- I always had hoped I would never see any steroid allegations or rumors linked to Luis, who led the league in Homers here in Columbus, GA while in the minors. I believe he may have 'charged something up' late in his career, but I thought that was what caused his wife to have triplets, not him to hit 57 dingers in a hot, very hitter-friendly park...of course, I could be wrong...Q: Did Boggs and Campaneris juice in their one big year?

...or did it just an anomaly?

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-17-2017, 06:17 PM
Scott Russell

big difference when your one big year is 22 or 24 versus 57. I did also only label him a suspect!

Old 09-18-2017, 12:46 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Now, Scott- I always had hoped I would never see any steroid allegations or rumors linked to Luis, who led the league in Homers here in Columbus, GA while in the minors. I believe he may have 'charged something up' late in his career, but I thought that was what caused his wife to have triplets, not him to hit 57 dingers in a hot, very hitter-friendly park...of course, I could be wrong...Q: Did Boggs and Campaneris juice in their one big year?

...or did it just an anomaly?
Boggs put on a home run hitting show during batting practice that was amazing. He chose not to hit home runs during games to keep his average as high as possible.

If there was a way of proving it there is not a single player in the last 60 years I would bet any money on as being completely clean of PEDs during their carrier.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:15 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Boggs put on a home run hitting show during batting practice that was amazing. He chose not to hit home runs during games to keep his average as high as possible.

If there was a way of proving it there is not a single player in the last 60 years I would bet any money on as being completely clean of PEDs during their carrier.
Boggs may have been completely clean, but can you say the same for all the chickens he consumed. Just fowl play, carry on.

274/1000 Monster Number

Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:20 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Boggs may have been completely clean, but can you say the same for all the chickens he consumed. Just fowl play, carry on.
I never said my all time favorite player was clean. As someone with experience in farming I can 100% guarantee the chickens are pumped full of steroids and/or antibiotics.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:47 PM
Peter Spaeth

That used to drive me insane about Boggs, knowing he was damn well capable of hitting for power and cutting down on his swing for the sake of his BA. My guess, of course pure speculation, is that by today's metrics he would have been viewed as a better ballplayer had he not done that.

Old 09-18-2017, 02:00 PM

Ben- I've heard that story about Boggs' pre-game home run hitting before, but never had anyone say that they actually saw it. Did you?

Old 09-18-2017, 02:11 PM

I watched Boggs take BP while he was with the Yankees. Back then that was part of the experience of going to the game. I don't remember him hitting them any more than anyone else. The only real distinct BP memory I have is when Barry Bonds came to the stadium for inter-league play. He hit some over the bleachers back then that hit off the back wall. I'd never seen that before.