NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 07-09-2018, 05:16 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Default Frank Thomas (The Original One)

In my TTM adventures I came across a review of Frank Thomas who played for the pirates in the 50’s-60’s. He signs cards for $5 each and donates it to a charity he is passionate about. Anyways I decided to grab a beat up card and send it to him with $5 and this is what he sent back.

What a fantastic return for a guy that is truly giving back what he can. I’d recommend sending him a card to sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2018, 05:37 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Hey, can you transcribe this cool letter so we can easily read it? That would be great.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:11 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

I’ll try to do it tomorrow when I have more time. I can’t read every word but here is the gist of the letter.

Thanks me for my donation to the charity
Describes the charity
Writes about other items he has available -IE 8x10’s of all the teams he played for.
Tells the story of being involved in the first back to back to back to back HR quad in history.

From google “Eddie Mathews, Hank Aaron, Joe Adcock, and Frank Thomas hit four consecutive homers in an inning off Reds' pitchers Jim Maloney (2) and Marshall Bridges (2), making the Braves the first major league team to accomplish the feat. The seventh inning big fly barrage, another blast by Mathews, and one by Warren Spahn aren't enough, when Cincinnati still manages to win the Crosley Field contest, 10-8.”

Then he talks about more 8x10’s available. Maybe related to this event.

Thanks me again etc.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:55 PM
Tom

That would be fine, where do I send the money?
Old 07-09-2018, 08:06 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Just make sure to include $5 per card and a SASE.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:09 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

I just included $5 and the 54 Bowman. He signed the card, added the inscription I requested, included his own signed card, and the letter. Cool guy.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:54 PM
Mike Reid

He will also sign his magazine covers. He is on at least one Sports Illistrated Magazine cover July 28, 1958. It has a nice white background and looks great when he signs it. I had him personalize one to my son and it looks awesome. I have him a few extra bucks and glad I did it. He is a great guy!!
Old 07-10-2018, 11:04 AM
Grant Rainsley

Default Frank Thomas

For those that may not know, Mr. Thomas (The Original) had a huge BB collection that went up in flames in a house fire many many years ago. OBC has had a hand in helping him rebuild his collection, at least part of the way, and he is an honorary member of OBC.... www.oldbaseball.com Always sends a nice note, seems like a great guy. He mentioned to me in his note that he would have an interest in doing autos at shows........not sure if that ever happened.

Grant
Successful deals with dkbobasa, Mintacular, Hangman, Donscards, Bocabirdman, Goferboy00, Digdugdig, jimivintage, baseballart, jimmysuitcase, 39special, smokeyburgess, scooter, shorttmail66, KCDoughboy, Andrew1975, t206fix, Eggoman, others.

Member of OBC. www.oldbaseball.com
Old 07-10-2018, 01:33 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainsley View Post
He mentioned to me in his note that he would have an interest in doing autos at shows........not sure if that ever happened.

Grant
Grant - I saw him a couple years in a row sitting out at the tables in front of the Paterno Bros. store (now closed I guess) signing autographs. I didn't have anything for him to sign so never got his autograph there.

I guess he is 89 years old now. Wow - good for him! Based on his letter I think I'll pick up a few more items and send him some more money that he can donate.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:16 PM
Michael Skiles

Default Frank Thomas

Great thread. I need his 1963 Post Cereal Card to complete my set.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:28 PM
Al Wright

Ed Randall recently had Ed Kranepool on his "Talking Baseball" program, which airs on Sunday mornings for two hours here in the New York City area on WFAN. They spoke at some length about Frank Thomas. I had not known that when Kranepool came up he was roomed with Thomas, who was many years his senior in age, as Kranepool was literally a kid. Both he and Randall had nothing but superlatives for Thomas as a ballplayer, and more importantly as a person. They still talk to each other regularly, and Kranepool was very touched that with all the things someone approaching 90 has to deal with, Thomas was most concerned with how Eddie was doing. I have great memories of Frank Thomas whacking home runs into the left field stands at the old Polo Grounds in those early Met years.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:22 AM

Default Thank you

Thank you for your original post. I just gott a very nice letter from him about my childhood hero, Richie Ashburn. Just great. Thanks again.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:15 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

Today I grab the mail and this came. I only sent him 1 TTM with 1 card. What a cool guy. I’m gonna send him some more TTM and donation to support his cause.