NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-20-2018, 06:37 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Kevin Keating's book "Waiting For a Sign"

My buddy Kevin, well known to the hobby, has just had his book, "Waiting For a Sign," published. These are the stories of his adventures chasing autographs as a youth and then later becoming close personal friends with some of the same legendary figures that had been his "targets" earlier. This is not really an autobiography or memoirs, more a collection of stories focusing on his interaction with the players themselves, although Kevin's interesting and diverse background as a graduate of West Point and Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, an airborne Ranger, a longtime consultant for the FBI in their Operation Bullpen, and other aspects of his life naturally intersect on occasion with his various pursuits in the autograph realm. I helped edit this book, and never got tired of reading these stories as I was working on them. Like just about everything else we do, it really comes down to the people, and it's the human side of the hobby that comes through the strongest in Kevin's stories, mostly of the heartwarming and humorous varieties, but some pathos, also. For a fun Summer read, and particular for those also afflicted with the autograph bug, I recommend it highly.
https://www.amazon.com/Waiting-Sign-.../dp/B07BK9NXBQ
Old 06-20-2018, 10:16 PM

That is pretty cool, I bet it is a good read and will pick up a copy. Thanks for the heads up!

Rhys
Old 06-20-2018, 11:06 PM
Al

Can't wait to read this. Thanks for calling our attention to it, Hank.

-Al
Old 06-21-2018, 04:47 AM

Hank,
I will look to pick up a "signed" copy at The National.
Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-21-2018, 07:45 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Thanks Hank!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-21-2018, 06:27 PM
Curt

Read the preview. I guess it is easy to get sucked into a topic I enjoy so much, but it was better than I expected, knowing it was more about a story behind the signature/player. Looks like many more volumes could come behind it.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:59 PM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Read the preview. I guess it is easy to get sucked into a topic I enjoy so much, but it was better than I expected, knowing it was more about a story behind the signature/player. Looks like many more volumes could come behind it.
Just a volume 2, scheduled for the late Fall, I believe. Between the two, there's something like 36 players for whom Kevin's story of getting their autograph was deemed interesting enough for a chapter, or with whom he developed a close personal relationship with enough interesting stories to warrant a chapter.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:41 PM
Curt

Can't say that I have gotten to know any players and have limited experience IP, other than some organized signings in recent years and my batting practice exploits of the early 80s in Seattle. It's funny, but a couple misses are stories I have told before that are more interesting than an actual meeting might have been.

It makes me wish I could have been doing it earlier than the late 70s/early 80s and also wish I would have focused on the signed cards more. Before the internet though and aside from a few shops here and there that required parental agreement/cooperation to visit, it was pretty near impossible for a kid to add anything but pack pulled singles and trades with friends.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:39 AM
Cha.rles He.nry

Have a copy from Amazon coming today...Should be a great book
Old 06-27-2018, 10:52 AM
$cotty @.utin

Go Army! Great representation of West Point and the Army.

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football