NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-19-2015, 11:27 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
As a Phillies fan, I always love reading about the Felin's Franks and Lummis Peanut butter cards as well. I wondered if there was a find of the Sealtest stickers last year when Heritage auctioned off a total of 22 of them. Of the 22 Sealtest stickers, 14 of them were Ashburn.

http://www.ha.com/c/search-results.z...sealtest+cards

Here is a 1995 article that talks about Ashburn super collector Fred McKie. The article mentions that McKie has (had) an Ashburn Lummis Peanut Butter card.

http://articles.philly.com/1995-07-2...on-memorabilia
Hi Eddie:

I forgot about that article. I still have my Lummis Ashburn.

Fred
Old 01-19-2015, 11:52 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Hi Eddie:

I forgot about that article. I still have my Lummis Ashburn.

Fred
LOL That was awkward. I didn't realize you could have posted your own article.

Last edited by Bored5000; 01-20-2015 at 12:06 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:11 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
LOL Oh...I didn't realize you could have posted your own article.
Eddie:

I assume you know I did not post the article. It was written by an Inquirer reporter.

I meant I forgot that the article was written about me. Where did you see it posted?

Fred
Old 01-20-2015, 12:28 AM
Curt

It's cool that you had the chance to discuss or share some of the collection with Ashburn, despite him not having an interest.

I have often wondered about that. I know some celebrities do meet their "super fans" and although we probably won't know what they really think (STALKER!!!), at least in print they often seem fascinated by the collections.

I wonder if I ever had the opportunity to show off my collection to Steve Garvey, would he even care? Maybe he might take note of an item or two he had never seen before or in a very long time, but I suppose he sees a lot of stuff over the years at shows and signings. If he even cared at all, he'd probably need to see something really obscure.

Reminds me of when I met Dave Stewart at a signing a few years back. He commented that he had never seen the 1981 Long Beach Press Telegram item that I asked him to sign, but the best part was when he was checking out one of the early 80s Dodger police cards. He shared with me that he remembered the exact game from the photo. Apparently he had not seen one in a while and since I had dupes, I offered one to him and he seemed sincerely appreciative that I gave it to him.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:32 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Eddie:

I assume you know I did not post the article. It was written by an Inquirer reporter.

I meant I forgot that the article was written about me. Where did you see it posted?

Fred
Oh, I know you did not write the article. I just didn't realize that the subject of the article was on Net54 and posting in this thread. LOL.

When the words "Lummis Peanut Butter auction" are put into Google, that is the third hit that pops up. Other combinations of words that include "Lummis Peanut Butter" will also bring up the article.

Last edited by Bored5000; 01-20-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:42 AM

Fred---

Thanks for sharing with us the feature article concerning you and your fabulous Richie Ashburn collection.

Out of curiosity, were you ever able to pick up an Ashburn '62 Salada Coin with the 1-180 series back? I remember you doted on those Saladas. --Brian Powell
Old 01-20-2015, 01:42 PM
Marc S.

Quote:
As a Phillies fan, I always love reading about the Felin's Franks and Lummis Peanut butter cards as well. I wondered if there was a find of the Sealtest stickers last year when Heritage auctioned off a total of 22 of them. Of the 22 Sealtest stickers, 14 of them were Ashburn.

http://www.ha.com/c/search-results.z...sealtest+cards
Eddie -- I'm not sure it was a find, per se. My understanding was that at the Valley Forge Shows of the 1980s, Sealtest Stickers were available in the hundreds. I imagine that the ones Heritage had last year was probably the accumulation of some dealer/collector who sourced them from Valley Forge a few decades ago.

m
Old 01-20-2015, 08:55 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Fred---

Thanks for sharing with us the feature article concerning you and your fabulous Richie Ashburn collection.

Out of curiosity, were you ever able to pick up an Ashburn '62 Salada Coin with the 1-180 series back? I remember you doted on those Saladas. --Brian Powell
Hi Brian:

Yep, I picked up the Salada Ashburn 180 back long ago. I have the complete 180 set as well as a complete set of the 266 different Salada's and the Canadian Shirriff complete set as well. Uncut sheets of the early and late printings, all the shields and tons of advertising material along with boxes of tea and Junket advertising the coins. Same for the 63 set and the football too. Nuts huh???!!

BTW, I did not post the article about my Ashburn collection. Eddie did.

Fred

Last edited by whiteymet; 01-20-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:05 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by philliesphan View Post
Eddie -- I'm not sure it was a find, per se. My understanding was that at the Valley Forge Shows of the 1980s, Sealtest Stickers were available in the hundreds. I imagine that the ones Heritage had last year was probably the accumulation of some dealer/collector who sourced them from Valley Forge a few decades ago.

m
Thanks for the information.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:33 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Dang, Fred, now that we know you're a super collector everything you want just went up in price 50%.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 01-21-2015, 10:37 AM

Fred----I was in a hurry, natch. So, thanks Eddie for sharing the feature article his Ashburn collection. That's the kind of stuff we need on the postwar board.

My, Fred, "nuts" is the word. Or, preferably, steep----very steep. I wish I had interviewed you for my book on postwar regionals. Chapter 5 concerns the 1962 Salada Coins. The book is not for those who chase "the previously unknown added dot variation", though there is definitely some relatively new research presented. Rather, it will be a rare treat for the collector who has a genuine interest, curiosity, and consuming passion for these issues, and what it was like back in the day to collect them, and moving to the early days of the organized adult hobby, and finally, the complicated and sometimes frenzied world of third party authentication and grading. It's all good stuff.

When we spoke for a minute at the 1973 Detroit show at Troy regarding the '62 Saladas, you told me you'd just completed a run and Billy Pierce was the last coin you needed. Out of curiosity, as I ask such questions, what was the last coin you needed to finish your 1-180 series back collection? I'll bet you not only know, but remember it well. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 01-27-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:26 PM
Brian Erickson

Default Mays Regionals/Food Issues

[attach]jpg.jpg[/attach]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Meadow copy.jpg (76.1 KB, 253 views)
Old 01-29-2015, 09:33 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Sweet milk carton! That Koufax is on my "want it but never likely to own it" list.

Or not...
Old 01-29-2015, 11:43 AM
Brian Erickson

Thank you!
It hasn't seen much daylight the last 10 years or so, but this thread inspired a posting of it.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:45 AM
Brian Erickson

Adding one more to the thread - 1953-1954 Briggs Meats Willie Mays
IMG_2466.jpg
Old 01-29-2015, 01:32 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Sweet milk carton! That Koufax is on my "want it but never likely to own it" list.
+1. Awesome Meadowgold Dairy cards. The Mantle is on my short list. Adam, maybe one day we can go in on a lot.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:03 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestdj777 View Post
+1. Awesome Meadowgold Dairy cards. The Mantle is on my short list. Adam, maybe one day we can go in on a lot.
Sure, you get the Mantle, I'll take the Koufax, and we just need to find Mays and Maz guys to round it out.

Or not...
Old 01-29-2015, 02:07 PM
Brian Erickson

I'm in for the Mays.
I have the carton, but need a handcut Mays for the master Mays set.
Old 10-04-2015, 06:14 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post

While I never was fortunate enough to get a Lummis card, I view them with an utmost admiration. Also, I lament no one in the adult hobby back then sought to write meaningfully about them, but then you'd have to find a former youngster who avidly collected them in 1949 to interview. Such a person might be tougher to locate than an actual Lummis card! l
I know this is an old thread, but the current REA auction seems like it should be relevant as to how how exactly the Lummis Peanut Butter cards were distributed. REA currently has an Ashburn Lummis card that a non-collector in the Philadelphia area originally obtained in 1949. It seems amazing that a non-collector would keep the card for 66 years, but REA auction doesn't answer the ovious question of how exactly they were distributed -- even after locating an original Lummis collector from 1949.

Here is an except from the current REA auction:

"This miracle card has been consigned directly from a non-collector in the Philadelphia area who obtained it in 1949 as a youngster and has saved it all these years. It is, unfortunately, the only example from this rare set that he kept over the last sixty-six years."

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=38920