NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-23-2009, 08:03 AM
keith janosky

Default I laughed so hard

Did anyone see what the Lou Gehrig autographed bat went for at Coach's Corner? 460.00. Yes that is 460.00. And the King Kelly ball they said was worth 55,000 went for 1560.00. I couldn't stop from laughing I almost wet myself.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:11 AM
David Ros.enberg

Last edited by DJR; 07-31-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:57 AM
keith janosky

Yes I meant funny as Coach's Corner thinks the stuff is worth that much but not funny people are paying good hard earned money for that stuff
Old 05-23-2009, 10:32 AM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:40 AM

That Kelly baseball could EASILY get six figures in Lelands, Legendary or Robert Edward Auctions. It could very well be the "oldest" single signed baseball ever to exist.

After all, Kelly was kind enough to date the ball (to help us in the year 2009, if this treasured piece was to be resold) and was even mentioned several times in SCD's "Infield Dirt", a blog run by T.S O'Connell who apparently doesn't like sarcasm and put an end to the blog comment section. But at least you have those on the bottom of blogs still making noise.

Here is a youtube video on the ball and I HIGHLY recommend you enjoy the other videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG97_2GhsrQ

Here is a great comparison...a Derek Jeter Steiner signed jersey sold for $327 and a Barry Sanders jersey sold for $313....and a Ty Cobb signed jersey sold for $288 and a Babe Ruth signed jersey sold for $355.

Thank you SCD!

Dan
Old 05-23-2009, 11:57 AM
keith janosky

There also must be 10 Ruth autographs. Amasing how they always get a bunch or Ruth, Gehrig, Cobb, Mathewson, Johnson and guys like that in there auction every month. Not just one of each but many of each. Even the best auction houses don't have 10 Ruth autographs in there auctions at one time. Unbelievable.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Barry Sloate

What I find most amazing is how long this has gone on. They have sold tens of thousands of lots and we must assume that some past buyers have decided to resell their items. If hundreds of them found out their treasures were no good, they would go back to CC and ask for their money back, as well as tell all their friends what happened. Yet CC still has regular auctions loaded with the same kind of stuff. And nobody has stopped them yet. What am I missing?
Old 05-23-2009, 12:31 PM
David Ros.enberg

Last edited by DJR; 07-31-2016 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:31 PM
keith janosky

Your right Barry, This is just my opinion but i think some people that win one of there lots maybe send it off to PSA or JSA to get it authenicated by them and find out it flunks then they go to Ebay and find out it flunks so they send it back to Coach's Corner and have it resold since in the first place C.C says it's real. Then the buyer isn't out anything. He gets his money back and on the item goes to a new buyer. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Richard Simon

A customer of mine submitted a Babe Ruth signed ball to me. which he bought from CC, I said it was not authentic and eventually, after a battle with CC, he got his money back. The ball pops up a month later and someone else will buy it. I like that idea of submitting a CC purchased item to the Krause, SCD auction,,, that would provide some fun here.

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-23-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:25 PM

Default Funny?

With respect, I personally fail to see any humor in what goes on with that auction. Somewhere along the line someone has GOT to be able to be able to get an answer from some branch of enforcement. I find it very hard to believe that in this day and age that such blatant thievery would be allowed to go on. It seems they hide behind the "one mans opinion" and a money back guarantee. While an unfortunate soul who purchases one of these bogus items may eventually get their money back, they still will be out multiple shipping and authentication fees. I fail to see any humor in those facts.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:29 PM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:38 PM

The humor is a way of dealing with this for twenty plus years. You can't name another company like this, where they exclusively sell items that will never show up in another auction house with proper authentication (the authenticators that the auction community trusts for their opinions) and provenance.

It's a black comedy where a struggling periodical needs them to survive (and according to the blog, it was the other way around at one point), a journalist turned authenticator and a forensic. The target audience for this play is the person with little intelligence who thinks they can get a grand discount on a rarity, sometimes 95% off what other auction houses can command for the same item.

"I can't afford $20,000 for a Mel Ott single signed ball...Coach's says it's worth $20,000 and I am the winning bidder at $618!". That person will go the rest of his life thinking he got over with a hefty discount of $19,382 and what happens if he throws it up on eBay? It will probably be removed. What happens if they send it to PSA/DNA or JSA? Probably fail. What happens if they send it to Robert Edward or Legendary or Lelands? They probably won't want it.

So what does it come down to? They can send it back to Coach's (after a fuss) or find someone with a similar intelligence, the guy who is waiting for his money from Nigeria.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:05 AM
keith janosky

I remember back in the late 90's winning a few items in Coach's Corner with certs from Stan's Sports, J.Dimaggio and others that the FBI in Operation Bullpen found there companies selling fake autographs. I still have that stuff and it's totally worthless. Now they have Stat and Morales. The FBI didn't stop C.C. then so I guess it is still business as usual
Old 05-24-2009, 10:01 AM

The funny this is that I picked up a copy of Standard Catalog Of Sports Memorabilia from Sports Collectors Digest at a used book sale a year ago and there is a section dedictaed to "Autograph Advice" and there is a page full of COA's of companies that distributed fake autographs or fake authenticating services (Hollywood Memories, Hollywood Don's (Don Steiger), S.C.A.A, J. DiMaggio etc.) and if you look back at old Coach's auctions (when Frangipani dominated), you saw these certs in the Coach auction. Also funny about this book, well respected autograph figure Ron Keurajian wrote articles, as he did with SCD but was eventually let go of his duties from the magazine because...too honest? Advertiser/s bugged by his breakdown? Lastly, let's look at the single signed baseball value portion of the book...King Kelly...price says UNKNOWN. Why do you suppose that is? Let's see what the value is of an Ed Delahanty cut signature in the price guide? It's outdated, but it says $10,000-20,000. What did the Delahanty cut in the Coach's Corner auction sell for? $290! You get the point.

Last edited by pscolgrafs; 05-24-2009 at 10:02 AM. Reason: can't type
Old 05-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Dan Bretta

How is it that a few collectors on this forum can get the FBI to knock on Patrick "Small potatoes" Chan's door yet Coach's Corner is ripping people off in broad daylight with the help of SCD and law enforcement seemingly couldn't give a crap?

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 05-24-2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: grammar!
Old 05-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Barry Sloate

I am as shocked as Dan that CC has been doing their thing for so many years and nobody has shut them down. And the bigwigs at SCD know beyond a shadow of a doubt what CC is doing and have never pulled the plug, simply because this is their #1 source of revenue. And now they have their own auction company in the same publication as CC. This is something out of the Twilight Zone. The FBI has certainly been proactive in cleaning up the baseball memorabilia hobby- are they aware of this blatant and outrageous situation?
Old 05-24-2009, 10:47 AM
keith janosky

Is there any exemplers out there of a King Kelly autograph since it is so rare? And if so how would Chris Morales even get one to authenticate the ball in Coach's Corner.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:23 AM

To my knowledge, there is only ONE Kelly extant (a contract) whose authenticity can truly be accepted. At least this is the only one I have encountered.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Kevin O'Gara

Default coaches corner

i cant stand to see another auction of coaches corner in the scd. its the only thing they have to hold onto. SCD now is just a few articles to read. The auctions are for the most part horrible. i am now cancelling my subscription.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:50 PM

I could be wrong on this,but I believe all the dealers the FBI nailed in Op Bullpen had direct links to the Marino forgery ring and knew what they were buying to sell.

I think CC operates under a dont ask,dont tell policy in regards to where consigners get their stuff. Unless the FBI can catch them actually forging the items or utilizing their own forger, I dont think they can do much to them.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
How is it that a few collectors on this forum can get the FBI to knock on Patrick "Small potatoes" Chan's door yet Coach's Corner is ripping people off in broad daylight with the help of SCD and law enforcement seemingly couldn't give a crap?
Very good question.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Chris Wood

Default Hersh is no treat to work with either....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedegu View Post
Grr...forgot to include this link; found it a few days back...pretty good blog entry (May 11). http://frozenpondauction.com/blog/
I haven't dealt with him in a while (over 12 years to be exact), but when I had items to sell at my booth at the International Show in Toronto in 1997 , that he wanted...Hersh was no pleasure to work with. His style that day - rude, pushy, belittling.

Maybe he has mellowed since I last met him, and maybe his barganing and people skills have improved? I can't comment on the quality of his product, but reading his comments on another company's practices, make me laugh.

Chris
Old 05-25-2009, 06:33 PM

Hersh has an impeccable reputation of being an honest in the hockey world. I would prefer a grumpy honest seller to a super nice crook. :-)

Kudos to Hersh on the fine blog entry!

Dan
Old 05-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Chris Wood

Default I would prefer to deal with someone both honest and plesant..

Quote:
Originally Posted by danc View Post
Hersh has an impeccable reputation of being an honest in the hockey world. I would prefer a grumpy honest seller to a super nice crook. :-)

Kudos to Hersh on the fine blog entry!

Dan
Both qualities in tandem would be nice. I have met pushy, cocky and know-it-all dealers and collectors, but that day Hersh stood out and his interaction with me and my friend at our table, is still memorable today...12 years later. chris
Old 05-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Richard Simon

Let's not get off topic here,, this thread is about Coaches Corner and their autograph selling. Keep it there,,
Old 05-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Great stuff and ideas about Coach's corner. Some of you may know I put a lot of pressure on TS O'Connell about SCD and their relationship with CC. As a way of saying thanks and FU*K OFF! he stopped the comments section. I am trying to keep the conversations about his blogging alive and active. Please visit my web site www.sports-rings.com/blog.htm to participate. I am hoping that I reach critical mass and have an active blog on this subject.

thanks for your help.

Mike the ring guy www.sports-rings.com (blog tab on the right).
Old 05-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Jim VB

SCD and Coach's Corner have entered into a very interesting, symbiotic relationship. Like it or not, they each need each other to survive. SCD desperately needs the advertising revenue. Coach's Corner relies upon SCD to provide the advertising platform to promote their auctions.

It is not possible for this to end well, as far as I can see, for either party.

However, I think it's important not to mix the corporate structures with the reputations of some of the good guys who have gotten sucked into this. Most of the SCD people involved in the hobby surely recognize what this has done to their publication. If they need this job, they are powerless to "fix" it.

Last edited by Jim VB; 05-29-2009 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:24 PM

-

Last edited by Vintagedegu; 08-21-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:24 AM
Alan Elefson

Hi-
Has anyone tried to organize a public protest against SCD at a major show? If they are at Shriner's in Wilmington next week, I would gladly help organize (or participate in) a protest at their booth. Granted, this might get folks kicked out of the show, but if we apply enough pressure wherever there are representatives of SCD perhaps we can convince them to change their mind.
Or, how about a boycott of all dealers who still advertise with that magazine? I realize there are probably still some good dealers who advertise with SCD, but maybe a boycott (or a letter writing campaign) would help pressure them to spend their advertising dollars elsewhere. I have not seen an SCD in years, so I have no idea who advertises in there nowadays.
These are just suggestions (and probably bad ones at that), but I would be interested in helping in any way I can (although I am a very small fish in the sea of the hobby).
Alan Elefson
aelefson@hotmail.com
Old 05-29-2009, 09:44 AM
Richard Simon

CC should do a little more research on their garbage. Witches (see the witches rug on that last link) were burned in Salem not Boston.
If you are going to sell garbage, at least get your facts straight.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:53 AM
Bob Lemke

Default If I recall my history . . .

Richard, I believe with a single exception, witches were hanged in Salem, not burned.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Barry Sloate

Among the funny things about that prayer rug is they are offering something that virtually no one has ever seen before, perhaps even realizes existed, and yet they provide not a scintilla of provenance or history, not even a clear picture. It looks like a diaper wrapped in a plastic bag. On what basis am I supposed to believe that it is exactly what they say it is? I've said this before, but this is really a bad parody of an auction. Shameless!

Last edited by barrysloate; 05-29-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:30 AM
qualitycards

The card scans are horrible?

http://myccsa.com/Lot.aspx?LotID=158742

Old 06-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Scott

I can recall back in the day when I used to get SCD and be more into stuff, in better financial times, the Coach's corner auctions. I find this fascinating and sooo freaking sad too. This stuff is obviously all fake, and someone who posted about the "needed relationship" w SCD and CCA is dead on.

The Bidders are the real suckers. These "fly by night" "experts" like Morales, and the like, and Stat pack or whoever the heck that is, are obvious red flags.

Its almost funny to see the stuff they put up, but I get angry about everyone who loses their money on that crap too, but again, PSA, JSA, Simon and the others are the real names to trust.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Je.ff Cl.ark

I agree totally. Morales is a big joke as are many of the "experts" who claim to be authenticators. If you look at Morales' resume, it is unbelievable how impressive his credentials are. Too bad the are pretty much all lies. Starting with his G. Washinton University "Degrees". But a lot of people are doing the exact same thing. They are lining their pockets, authenticating each others junk and selling it. I have little use for 3rd party authenticators who sell their wares and denounce anyone other than their friends or their owm merchandise. One claims a so called double major from an Ivy league university. First item in the resume and is apparently a documented lie. PSA and JSA are not the end all to beat all either. Another proudly claims to have obtained 100,000 "in person" autographs in 20 years. That's 1 per hour, 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, for twenty years. (And still be 10,000 short) Sorry, I have trouble believing that. These are the same folks that are quick to call other items fake. I even had and "in person" Ali called a forgery. Not that it couldn't be verified authentic (which is fine) but an outright forgery. I believe these same folks are involved with ebay and can bounce items seemingly at will. Although I've never sold an autograph on ebay so I'm not too familiar how that works. They all have their own agenda and in most cases, I think it's driven by greed. Liars and crooks are killing this hobby. And there are plenty of them.

Last edited by jeffects; 06-17-2009 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Clarify and furthur elaborate.