NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-03-2018, 10:48 PM

Howard, the term "condition rarity" fits these beautiful gems to a T. There are some interesting stories in my book, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN, as to why some of the cards look pristine, while so many were damaged from the get-go, winding up looking like the inside of a goat's stomach. As for this '54 Stahl-Meyer, I was able to trace back the provenance to 1969, which was very gratifying---involving the collector-dealer I bought it from, the collector who sold his collection to the collector-dealer, and the story of how that collector got the card in a trade on a vacation trip to California in the summer of '69. Intriguing reading.

There's a super picture of my 1954 Stahl-Meyer Franks Mickey Mantle that serves as the photo for chapter 3. Some time in the past 10 years, my son loaded up the photo on Net 54. As I faintly remember, it was to a thread involving cards you felt took your breath away. Perhaps if you're adroit in your searching, you'll find it. I tried, and failed! However, Howard, if you find it, you sure have my permission to load 'er up on this thread. It would fit this thread to a T as well.

Kind regards, my fellow collecting warrior. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 06-12-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
Wow, that's a nice layout of Mantle items there, Brian. I am not a Mantle collector, so I had not seen that picture before.
Thanks for the kind words, Eddie. Hope you are doing well, my friend.

My son and I work different shifts, so it's hard for us to get together. He helps me load up images on Net54, like the one you just commented on.

Anyway, you recall your terrific vintage racing thread? Well, I bought my first racing card, and would you believe, it's of one of the great drivers I commented on. It's a 1939 Churchman's Cigarettes of John Cobb, in PSA 7 condition. I watched for a long time, and deliberated whether I wanted to buy it. It really wasn't the price so much as I was setting a personal precedent in buying a racing card. With my interest in racing, it's strictly 1/43rd models, books, VHS tapes, and now DVDs. I did not need another expensive hobby!!! Ha!

Anyway, the poignant card of Mr. Cobb will go perfectly with my masterpiece 1/43rd scale model of one of Honest John's most famous cars---his 1935 Napier-Railton as he raced at Brooklands in 1935, when he broke the lap record at 143 mph. He is the gent I said who likened racing at Brooklands to standing at an open window of a very tall building----and seeing how far one could lean out without falling off!!!! So, I envision pairing my fairly rare factory-built model with the John Cobb cigarette card. The photo on the card appears to have been from the years he raced at glorious Brooklands. Your thread influenced me, and I thank you, friend.

My best to you Eddie---ALWAYS. Take care, my fellow collecting warrior. ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 06-07-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:12 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post

Anyway, you recall your terrific vintage racing thread? Well, I bought my first racing card, and would you believe, it's of one of the great drivers I commented on. It's a 1939 Churchman's Cigarettes of John Cobb, in PSA 7 condition. I watched for a long time, and deliberated whether I wanted to buy it. It really wasn't the price so much as I was setting a personal precedent in buying a racing card. With my interest in racing, it's strictly 1/43rd models, books, VHS tapes, and now DVDs. I did not need another expensive hobby!!! Ha!
Oh, jeez. Now, I really feel guilty for not hooking you up with a sweet racing card at a nice price. I was actually going to bump the vintage racing thread to laugh at an eBay listing, but the listing was ending shortly after I saw it. There was a PSA 10 1989-90 Wendell Scott card listed on eBay for $16,998.95. The same seller also had a PSA 9 of the same card available for just five grand.

The $16,998.95 price on the Wendell Scott card was by far the highest listing of any racing card on eBay. Considering that only a handful of racing cards sell for over $500, a dollar short of 17 grand was probably a bit optimistic. Seventeen grand for a Wendell Scott card would be the equivalent of about $85 billion for a T206 baseball Hall of Famer.

Seriously, though, congrats on the pickup.

I do want to bump the vintage racing thread soon, however. I have a book review and my excitement is building for the release of a cool, different racing book.

Last edited by Bored5000; 06-04-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:48 AM

Thanks, Eddie. I doubt anyone on Net54 even knows who John Cobb was, but I was pleased as punch to get the card once I finally decided to buy it. There was obviously not any demand for the card, but paired with my awesome model of his Napier-Railton, it will make all the difference.

Wow---- $17 K for a Wendell Scott card from the late 80s. Even if someone was going for the finest PSA set, that price reflects true lunacy (i.e. GREED). It would not be greed if the set was wildly popular, or if the driver was wildly popular to collect. Racing collectors don't go down that road, I feel, because after all, cards of the drivers are relatively few.

Since you are not into models of the great drivers, but prefer cards, I really was pleased for you when you landed that Marhoefer A. J. Foyt.

I gotta get to bed, after one more response I need to make.

Bye, buddy. ---- Brian Powell
Old 06-04-2018, 07:16 AM
D@le Irv*n

Some of my 62 Post CDN baseball cards and some of my, off the baseball topic, early 30's-40's Beehive Hockey cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Post 1.jpg (79.7 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg Post 2.jpg (79.2 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg Post 3.jpg (79.4 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg Post 4.jpg (80.4 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg Post 5.jpg (80.0 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg Post 6.jpg (79.6 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg Beehive advertising back.jpg (81.9 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg Beehive advertising front.jpg (83.2 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg Beehive Al Rollins vertical.jpg (77.1 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg Beehive Doug Young.jpg (78.5 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg Original Beehive envelopes.jpg (77.4 KB, 264 views)
Old 06-04-2018, 10:45 AM

Hearty congratulations, Dale, on your immense cachet of Post Canadian, as well as your beloved Bee Hives. You presented them beautifully.

I only have a pair of graded Bee Hives, and an ungraded Turk Broda from the early 60s when Bee Hive offered some all-time greats to go with their current player line. I envision a boy redeeming a valuable Bee Hive label to send away for a premium of his father's boyhood hero. I might be wrong, but I doubt it. Then again, dads would regale their sons with enthralling stories of seeing their own favorites at Maple Leak Gardens, or hearing Foster Hewitt wax lyrical about an impossible play ingeniusly pulled off. His words would become emblazoned in the son's mind, thus creating a hero over the airwaves!

The pose of the great Turk moved me deeply; I absolutely love it, and will pay the PSA piper to get 'er graded.

Hey, bro, do you purchase your '52 Topps bb raw, and then submit, or graded, or both? Send a PM, if you prefer.

Again, well done, my fellow collecting warrior! ---Brian Powell
Old 06-04-2018, 05:05 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Posted these in the May pick up thread. Just picked them up to start the set. Do these count in this thread as they are dog food cards? I love the solid color backgrounds on these. Are the SPs really tough or no?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1954 Red Heart Eddie Yost.jpg (76.0 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg 1954 Red Heart Roy McMillan.jpg (80.0 KB, 244 views)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 06-05-2018, 06:48 PM
Dave_Berg

Love that set- have fun!!
Old 06-05-2018, 07:01 PM
Banned

those Kahn's are awesome
Old 06-10-2018, 12:52 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
Hearty congratulations, Dale, on your immense cachet of Post Canadian, as well as your beloved Bee Hives. You presented them beautifully.

I only have a pair of graded Bee Hives, and an ungraded Turk Broda from the early 60s when Bee Hive offered some all-time greats to go with their current player line. I envision a boy redeeming a valuable Bee Hive label to send away for a premium of his father's boyhood hero. I might be wrong, but I doubt it. Then again, dads would regale their sons with enthralling stories of seeing their own favorites at Maple Leak Gardens, or hearing Foster Hewitt wax lyrical about an impossible play ingeniusly pulled off. His words would become emblazoned in the son's mind, thus creating a hero over the airwaves!

The pose of the great Turk moved me deeply; I absolutely love it, and will pay the PSA piper to get 'er graded.

Hey, bro, do you purchase your '52 Topps bb raw, and then submit, or graded, or both? Send a PM, if you prefer.

Again, well done, my fellow collecting warrior! ---Brian Powell
Sorry for the late reply, Brian.

Great story, btw, and likely spot on with regards to the son's mind and being captured by the stories over the airwaves.

As far as my 52's go, I normally purchase raw but have purchased some already graded by all three of the big TPGs.

I have yet to send a card in to get graded and I don't know if that will happen anytime soon?
I would like to have my top cards, Mantle, Mays, Robinson and some of my better condition high number cards graded, but with the costs/exchange/shipping and the worry, it will be a while yet, if I ever do?

Thanks for the kind words!
Old 06-18-2018, 02:37 PM
Howie Schenker

I figured this would be a good thread to share this fun 1961 Post Cereal commercial featuring Bugs and Yosemite Sam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUuMuv7KaO4
Old 11-06-2018, 06:51 PM
Dave_Berg

Default Stahl Meyer Mantle run

Somewhat of a double post. The 1954 from REA completes the 3 year run. Shout out to my late father and Brian Powell...Regional issue warriors
net541.jpg