NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Jason Stricker

Default OT: Postage Printing Options

My wife bought me a postage scale so I can hopefully begin weighing and printing postage from home. The whole idea is to save a little money and reduce trips to the post office. I've been buying/selling on eBay since 1998, but never at a volume where I felt going this route was worth taking. Now that I have a scale and have been selling more on eBay, I'm looking for my best option and need some advice from you all.

Which is my best option in terms of ease of use, low cost postage, etc? Do you get reduced postage with any companies? Should I use the eBay print your own labels option? Or go with a paid service like PB or Stamps.com?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:24 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

In the past couple months I've really started to try to support my habit by selling stuff. I've found that Ebay postage is very convenient as you don't have to enter the buyers information. I also like that the delivery confirmation is already associated with the item and that I don't have to buy any special supplies/labels. With Ebay you can easily print a packing slip and then just tape the shipping on the package.

For anything not sold through Ebay, I've been using Paypal's shipping. Both the Ebay and Paypal shipping is less than going to the post office especially since the delivery confirmation is significantly cheaper (or free). Just the saving on the delivery confirmation fees makes either method worthwhile. The only downside I've found with the Paypal shipping is that you may need to type in the buyers info if they send payment as a gift.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 02-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Steve Birmingham

The shipping through Ebay worked well for me. A slight discount, plus delivery confirmation either free for priority or at the time 19 cents for first class packages. I just printed it out on paper and taped it to the envelope or box leaving the bar code untaped.

It was limited for available services, but most small stuff shipped first class package anyway. Most stuff ended up in the same weight class so I didn't have to do much weighing.

One drawback was shipping small prints or photos. Delivery confirmation can only be had on packages over 3/4 of an inch thick. But first class became a package at 1/4 inch. With cards I packed them with enough stiffeners that a styrofoam peanut in the bubble envelope got it to 3/4. But the print I shipped got kicked back as being too thin.

Maybe they have changed that. At the time it was really annoying. As I was discussing the returned package with the postmaster the clerk a few feet away was trying to upsell to delivery confirmation 4ft away on a very thin envelope. A loud "ahem" and pinting finger made my point. Oddly the person who wrote up the return wrote it as "delivery confirmation only available on priority". And charged me postage due at a rate that hadn't been current for over a year. He apparently got in trouble for that.

Other than that it was great, If I got stuff packed early enough I could just leave it out for the postman, and even though I always waited in line the clerks said that with printed postage I could just leave it on the counter and let them know.

Steve B
Old 02-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
The shipping through Ebay worked well for me. A slight discount, plus delivery confirmation either free for priority or at the time 19 cents for first class packages. I just printed it out on paper and taped it to the envelope or box leaving the bar code untaped.

It was limited for available services, but most small stuff shipped first class package anyway. Most stuff ended up in the same weight class so I didn't have to do much weighing.

One drawback was shipping small prints or photos. Delivery confirmation can only be had on packages over 3/4 of an inch thick. But first class became a package at 1/4 inch. With cards I packed them with enough stiffeners that a styrofoam peanut in the bubble envelope got it to 3/4. But the print I shipped got kicked back as being too thin.

Maybe they have changed that. At the time it was really annoying. As I was discussing the returned package with the postmaster the clerk a few feet away was trying to upsell to delivery confirmation 4ft away on a very thin envelope. A loud "ahem" and pinting finger made my point. Oddly the person who wrote up the return wrote it as "delivery confirmation only available on priority". And charged me postage due at a rate that hadn't been current for over a year. He apparently got in trouble for that.

Other than that it was great, If I got stuff packed early enough I could just leave it out for the postman, and even though I always waited in line the clerks said that with printed postage I could just leave it on the counter and let them know.

Steve B

It the package is rigid it qualifies for 1st Class Package rate instead of 1st Class Letter rate and the Delivery Confirmation can be added to it.

It's how I ship a good majority of my stuff.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Dave

I use Ebay and Paypal shipping. I also use USPS Click and Ship for some things like Regional Priority Boxes that Ebay and Paypal doesn't adjust for.

I just signed up for Stamps.com and am trying it out since Ebay/Paypal shipping has not updated for the phased out Parcel Post to Parcel Select and I've been shipping some large items recently.

It imports Ebay stuff but it seems a bit clunky to me though I may not be quite used to it yet. It also offers just about all shipping options in one place including International so it may end up being the most convenient once I figure it out.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:56 AM
Jason Stricker

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I'm going to look into the Ebay/PayPal options and go from there. I just hope I see some savings and get accurate rates. I don't even get that at my local post office. It'll cost me $1.12 to mail a card first class at the automated postage machines, but $1.65 if I go to the window.

Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
It the package is rigid it qualifies for 1st Class Package rate instead of 1st Class Letter rate and the Delivery Confirmation can be added to it.

It's how I ship a good majority of my stuff.
That's what I thought before they returned the print. 9x12 photo mailer with two cardboard stiffeners. Way stiff enough to qualify as a package. But not thich enough for DC.

I see they've changed the rules since then. I did talk to a customer service rep in Providence by phone at the time and asked if it wasn't easier to handle a very stiff flat compared to a puffy bulged one. She agreed, but didn't offer much hope of a change.

From the DMM (section c I think is new)
11.2.2 Eligible Matter
[1-27-13] USPS Tracking/Delivery Confirmation service is available for First-Class Mail parcels and First-Class Package Service parcels (electronic option only); all Priority Mail pieces (at no additional charge); Standard Mail parcels (electronic option only); Package Services parcels, Standard Post parcels (at no additional charge) and Parcel Select parcels. For the purposes of using USPS Tracking/Delivery Confirmation with a Package Services or Parcel Select parcel, the parcel must meet these additional requirements:

a. The surface area of the address side of the parcel must be large enough to contain completely and legibly the delivery address, return address, postage, and any applicable markings, endorsements, and extra service labels.

b. Except as provided in 11.2.2c, the parcel must be greater than 3/4 inch thick at its thickest point.

c. If the mailpiece is a parcel under 401.1.0 and no greater than 3/4 inch thick, the contents must be prepared in a strong and rigid fiberboard or similar container or in a container that becomes rigid after the contents are enclosed and the container is secured. The parcel must be able to maintain its shape, integrity, and rigidity throughout processing and handling without collapsing into a letter-size or flat-size piece.

Good to know it's changed.

Steve B
Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
That's what I thought before they returned the print. 9x12 photo mailer with two cardboard stiffeners. Way stiff enough to qualify as a package. But not thich enough for DC.

I see they've changed the rules since then. I did talk to a customer service rep in Providence by phone at the time and asked if it wasn't easier to handle a very stiff flat compared to a puffy bulged one. She agreed, but didn't offer much hope of a change.

From the DMM (section c I think is new)
11.2.2 Eligible Matter
[1-27-13] USPS Tracking/Delivery Confirmation service is available for First-Class Mail parcels and First-Class Package Service parcels (electronic option only); all Priority Mail pieces (at no additional charge); Standard Mail parcels (electronic option only); Package Services parcels, Standard Post parcels (at no additional charge) and Parcel Select parcels. For the purposes of using USPS Tracking/Delivery Confirmation with a Package Services or Parcel Select parcel, the parcel must meet these additional requirements:

a. The surface area of the address side of the parcel must be large enough to contain completely and legibly the delivery address, return address, postage, and any applicable markings, endorsements, and extra service labels.

b. Except as provided in 11.2.2c, the parcel must be greater than 3/4 inch thick at its thickest point.

c. If the mailpiece is a parcel under 401.1.0 and no greater than 3/4 inch thick, the contents must be prepared in a strong and rigid fiberboard or similar container or in a container that becomes rigid after the contents are enclosed and the container is secured. The parcel must be able to maintain its shape, integrity, and rigidity throughout processing and handling without collapsing into a letter-size or flat-size piece.

Good to know it's changed.

Steve B
Yeah, sometimes you'll get an overzealous clerk or postmaster who isn't aware of the actual rule and will squeeze you or your customer for the extra postage.

I had it happen once several years ago in the Philadelphia area when they rules were a bit more muddled and they charged my customer for a Priority upgrade.

Otherwise I've shipped thousands of packages that way with no problems.

I just try and make sure I get it over a 1/4" of an inch with the cardboard reinforcements.