NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-24-2005, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Default Rotman plastic sheets?

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

All you folks who only deal in graded cards can skip this one:

Right now I have my ungraded M116s in older 15-pocket plastic sheets -- the brand name is Rotman. I'm using them because the Ultra-Pro sheets are a little too snug for a full-sized M116 -- very snug, in fact. They'll go in but I worry that the squeeze will create creases.

I'm a bit worried because compared to the newer sheets, the Rotmans seem sort of greasy or sticky, for no obvious reason. I have no idea if they're acid-free, etc. Very little info on the net about them.

Question #1: should I get the cards out of there, pronto, before Rotman melts them?

#2: If I stick the cards in ordinary acid-free plastic sheets, will the plastic loosen up over time into a good fit, or will the tightness put continued pressure on the cards and crease them?

#3 is there any way to slightly loosen or enlarge a plastic sheet (by heating or some other method?)

Thanks!

Tim

Old 07-24-2005, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: William Brumbach

I have older sheets that I still use as well, probably about 20-years-old now. Well, not that 1985 is old, but, nevermind. None of mine are sticky or gloopy, that doesn't sound good.

Newer Ultra-Pro sheets will stretch over time if the fit is tight. I have only done this with thicker new cards however, so the risk with anything else is up to you regarding any possible corner damage by trying to stuff slighter larger cards into tight pockets.

Heating probably isn't a good idea because the sheets will wrinkle when they cool down. Having done more than my fair share of flea markets in the past I have seen the effects of the full spectrum of weather on plastic sheets of all makes and models and I highly recommend against any sort of heating or freezing of the sheets. Hot plastic smells funny.

Old 07-24-2005, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

every five years. Subway stamp shop: 1-800-221-9960; 814-946-1000. I also get Mylar sheaths from normal to newspaper size from Mark Macrae, and acid-free board backing, from big comic book stores and art stores for super big things.

Only stuff from 1970 on is in those old plastic sheets.

Old 07-24-2005, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Long time collectors will tell you horror stories of the plastic bleeding in to and ruining the cards. The first sign things are going south is when the pocket pages start feeling soft and maybe a little liquidy (for lack of a better term).

Old 07-24-2005, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Tim, my sheets that most of my expensives sets are in are all from the 1970s and early 80s. Without sunlight, I see no problem in these older sheets. Mine have stayed nice, they are stiffer than todays, yet they still protect my prize possessions. To hell with graded cards!

Old 07-25-2005, 12:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I believe Rotmans was the first company to make PVC free sheets. My 1971 and 72 sets are in Rotman sheets that I bought in 1981. There are no signs of anything going bad with the sheets.

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.