NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-05-2012, 04:53 PM
Richard Simon

Default A sweet forgery on ebay

Mantle,DiMaggio and Williams signed photo, MB $700 on the bay.

Here is the sellers description: (you got to love guys who know nothing about baseball selling bogus autographs, he calls Williams a Yankee):

You are currently bidding on one of the greatest autograph trios of all time. Joe Dimaggio, Mickey Mantle, & Ted Williams. Three of the greatest New York Yankees ever to wear the pinstripes in one fantastic picture with Certificate of Authenticity verifying all three signatures to be legitimate. Similar autographed picture recently sold for over $1000.00 . Dont miss this rare opportunity to own this rare piece of memorabelia.
--
A great autograph trio? Never heard players described that way.
Only problem is the COA is barred from ebay and the picture smells from sun, sand and orange juice.

Item number 261017444888
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-05-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:03 PM
Christopher Williams

Default Ebay seller rastus8888 Mickey Mantle Forgery

Typical Mantle, Williams & DiMaggio set of forgeries with a COA from CSC Collectibles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

rast-1.JPG

rast-2.JPG

rast-3.jpg

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 05-05-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:18 PM
James Wymer

It has been removed from Ebay. He probably bought this on an online auction and thought he would make a killing.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 05-05-2012, 05:20 PM
James Wymer

How rare are Mantle, WIlliams, and Dimaggio signed photos? I mostly see forgeries with this "Trio".
Old 05-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Richard Simon

There is something strange going on with ebay today.
If you use the URL to find an auction it is coming up as a removed auction.
If you use the item number it will come up.
This beauty has not been removed yet.
Its time will come.
Another stupid seller, 26 items for sale and only one is an autograph and it is bogus of course.
There are more forgeries for this trio picture than real ones.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-05-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I emailed the seller, and he thinks that one blogger on the internet isn't proof it's bad, he bought it from a very respectable auction house and they wouldn't lie, would they??

It's a little sad.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
Old 05-06-2012, 06:20 AM
Richard Simon

These things are infecting small auction houses everywhere.
They have those crap COA's, this one from CSC Collectibles, which are barred on ebay but the buyers don't know that.
He probably bought it dirt cheap and thought he got a good deal.
Why do idiots who know nothing about autographs think they can make money in this hobby?
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-06-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Richard Simon

You have to love the wording on the CSC cert, they only recognize the opinion of forensics with a "Court Recognized Exemplar File"
WTF is a "court recognized exemplar file"?
Just part of the scam, just part of the scam.
--
Old 05-06-2012, 08:18 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
You have to love the wording on the CSC cert, they only recognize the opinion of forensics with a "Court Recognized Exemplar File"
WTF is a "court recognized exemplar file"?
Just part of the scam, just part of the scam.
Exactly. What the heck is a Court Recognized Exemplar File? You will find that wording on COAs from CSC Collectibles and YMC Sports.

The majority of autographs sold on the website of CSC Collectibles has a COA from either CSC Collectibles, Stat Authentic, Nicholas Burczyk and GAI (the Mike Baker collection). All crap!!!
Old 05-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Exactly. What the heck is a Court Recognized Exemplar File? You will find that wording on COAs from CSC Collectibles and YMC Sports.

The majority of autographs sold on the website of CSC Collectibles has a COA from either CSC Collectibles, Stat Authentic, Nicholas Burczyk and GAI (the Mike Baker collection). All crap!!!
They don't use a court qualified forensic themselves (unless you count the MIA Nicholas Burczyk, did he ever look at a baseball autograph item?) and yet they insist that the customer does if the customer wants a refund.
What a way to do business, do as I say, not as I do.
CSC how about telling the customer that you have been barred by ebay? Hmmmm,,, I don't think that is going to happen .
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 05-06-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

Does this link work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261017444888...84.m1423.l2649

Ken
Old 05-06-2012, 01:25 PM
James Wymer

He corrected the 3 Yankees comment and does reflect that Williams played for Boston. The sad part Richard I think most of these buyers that purchase these are passing them on to someone even more naive than themselves. I have a guy in town that sells these month after month and I think that he sells them to many of the same buyers. I know that you are aware of this, but just sharing my view of a very scary very open underground market.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Banned

There is no such thing as a court qualified exemplar file, and also a court qualified autograph expert is whoever judge says it is, you dont need a forensics certificate or forensics/questioned document training to be court qualified, and you arent guaranteed to be court qualified if you do.

I always think that someday these type of signed photos will be outed and not be able to be sold anywhere, but operation bullpen autograph are still selling 13 years after the bust. as long as there are people willing to buy first and investigate second, there will always have a target market for them.

Last edited by travrosty; 05-06-2012 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
There is no such thing as a court qualified exemplar file, and also a court qualified autograph expert is whoever judge says it is, you dont need a forensics certificate or forensics/questioned document training to be court qualified, and you arent guaranteed to be court qualified if you do.

That is absolutely correct.
--
Old 05-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wymers Auction View Post
He corrected the 3 Yankees comment and does reflect that Williams played for Boston. The sad part Richard I think most of these buyers that purchase these are passing them on to someone even more naive than themselves. I have a guy in town that sells these month after month and I think that he sells them to many of the same buyers. I know that you are aware of this, but just sharing my view of a very scary very open underground market.
Another sad part is how illiterate this guy is.
His mangling of the English language should be enough of an indicator to avoid him. Just look at his spelling.
--
Old 05-06-2012, 04:50 PM
James Wymer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Another sad part is how illiterate this guy is.
His mangling of the English language should be enough of an indicator to avoid him. Just look at his spelling.
We should email him the correct spelling for "memorabelia". I also like how he added that it is a licensed auction house. As a former auction house owner if you are in a licensing state such as TN, all auction houses are licensed. You cannot operate without a license or you will go to jail. This licensing in no way makes them legitimate or honest, just legal. I know that last sentence is funny, but sadly very true. Does EBAY have a spell check?
Old 05-06-2012, 08:25 PM
FredYoung

It's gone now!