NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Default Boston Garter Opinion

Posted By: chris

Hello all,

Any help would be appreciated on this card. I am looking to purchase this from a gentleman who said it has been in his family for years. The pictures below show the card to be brownish, but it is a green tone as it should be. He was offered a significant amount a while back for it, maybe a year or two I believe. And from the scans it does appear genuine. At this point, I am trying to persude the guy to send it to SGC for authentication at my expense, and then I'll purchase from him. He mentions it has never been out of his possession, so he may not be willing to do so. If I decide to meet him and examine the card in person, what traits should I be looking for? I have shown in to a couple of people via email, one stating it is probably real. Thank you in advance for all your comments.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-06-2007, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

looks authentic to me. were these cards printed in vertical strips hence the jagged cut at the top? nice card and good luck.

pete ullman

Old 04-06-2007, 09:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have a few of these. This one looks good from the scan. Every single one I have ever seen is handcut at top. That is a good sign. If the printing is bold I think you have a good card....and it does look good. I am not sure how SGC will grade it, numerically or only with an A, due to the top. If you send it in call me first and I may be able to help you get a numerical grade with a caveat of "handcut"...which is what they should do..Sometimes if you can educate them in a postive way they will make a good, educated, decision. If they aren't comfortable with it they won't do it...regardless of anything else.......best regards....btw, I really like the 1914's

Old 04-06-2007, 09:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Millerhouse

I have two of these -- one sepia-toned and one green-sepia toned. There is nothing about this card that doesn't look right. I'd buy it based just on your scans.

Dan

Old 04-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

Someone won the same card in Very Good condition at a small local auction in St. Petersburg, Florida for $800 about a year ago. The one you are buying is in much better condition and worth many times that amount. Nice card!

Old 04-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Administrator

George,

I saw that one as well, and I assume that was an anomaly. Even in that condition it was a steal, no? From the scans on the above card, it appears Ex aside from the handcut portion at top. Thanks all for your comments so far. I feel very good about the authenticty of the card, now I need to figure out the best way to purchase and make sure it is a good price.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

Yes Chris, even at that price it was a good deal in the Florida auction. I wonder how much he was offered when he refused to sell?
Good luck!

Old 04-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

I thought I read in an auction decription for the Mathewson(?) that this year was attached with an adhesive to the box. Therefore in order to remove it, they would tear off the top, causing the "rough cut" you see. In leon's case, some probably cleaned it up after tearing it off.

I too would purchase the card if you are not interested.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Jones

That Jennings is great! Leon

Old 04-06-2007, 03:44 PM
Administrator

He was offered 7500...I am not sure if wants any more for it now, or then again, he could lying to see if I go for it and I may be able to negotiate down...