NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Phil Garry

Default Is it just me.......

Is it just me or do we seem to have an inordinate amount of '52 Topps Mantle posts in this section of the Forum? I thought that the T206 posts on the Pre-War side were plentiful but this is one specific card.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Johnny S

It is the card that took the hobby to another level along with the 63 Pete Rose,as hard is that is to believe. If the average collector could have one postwar card this would be it, regardless of if it is his true rc or not it is his Topps RC, and sadly many consider Bowman subspecies still to this day. It's just such an amazing card. If I had to choose between a highgrade 52 Mantle Topps or a T206 Wagner I would take the Mantle. I also would take a T206 Plank over a Wagner. I love his 54 and 55 Bowmans but the 51 and 52 just don't appeal to me, and obviously many others otherwise they would be worth a lot more. I know a lot of people think the 52 Topps Mantle is overpriced but I don't. holla !!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Al Richter

Default Mantle

Another Mantle thread ?
Old 12-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Phil Garry

I know, Al, I hated to start another one but didn't want my opinion to get lost in an existing thread that was going in a different direction.

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 12-20-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:15 PM
Johnny S

Can't have enough 52 Topps Mantle threads, brings me back to my youth when I used to dream of going back in time to a dime store and buy as many packs as I could and come back to the future and open them up. When I wasn't thinking about the Mantle card I was thinking about Bo Derek and Farrah Fawcett, oh the good old days !!
Old 12-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefBenderForever View Post
Can't have enough 52 Topps Mantle threads, brings me back to my youth when I used to dream of going back in time to a dime store and buy as many packs as I could and come back to the future and open them up. When I wasn't thinking about the Mantle card I was thinking about Bo Derek and Farrah Fawcett, oh the good old days !!
What teenage boy didn't have a poster of Farrah showing the nipple? I absolutely still think her and Bo were the best looking women ever. But maybe it' just my mind's eye!!
Old 12-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Jeff

Default '52T Mantle

No it's not just you Phil.

It's a great card but I would much rather have a Plank or Wagner. It's a convergence of mythical set, player and team into one piece of cardboard. We could argue how much of it is myth but hey folks love the card and the price continues to be supported.

I went through the phase where I had to have one. To date it is the only card of significant value I have ever owned that I sold. Once I had one the allure for me at least didn't last.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Al Richter

Default 52 Mantle

I am fortunate to have two of them, both variations, which are finally listed in the 2012 SCD Standard Catalog. I also have a 1967 Catalog from The Card Collector's Company in NY where I bought my first one. They were selling the entire high series then for $ 90 or $ 1 per card...except the Mantle...which was $ 25 . I bought the 2nd one years latter after the variation became publicized, but paid a lot more for it
Old 12-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Steve

"Money makes the woild go round" - Curley Howard, 1944.