NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 11-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Zach

Default How much do you think this would sell for in auction?

I have been trying to determine the values of my cards lately, but it has been tough in determining the values of some of my raw cards because VCP has no raw card values, and Beckett is usually way off. Beckett has this card at $250 raw poor condition. I know for a fact this would not sell that low unless it was a really bad day in auction. I paid $400 for it and think it's worth it. I just wanted some opinions of what you think it would sel for or what you would pay for if it was for sale. In case your wondering it is not for sale, I love it too much, but can't figure out the value.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1316.jpg (71.5 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1317.jpg (71.7 KB, 248 views)
Old 11-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Brandon Bailey

It is a truly iconic card, that in my opinion is very undervalued. But based upon the values the card does go for, if you couuld get $250 for it take it and run. Sorry at $400 you paid too much.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Chris

Looking at VCP I'd say it would sell at auction for about $300-$350 easy. Also the great Willie Mays is getting up there in age and well when players pass there seem to be a spike in value so it could be worth more in the near future.

Last edited by hunterdutchess; 11-30-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:32 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

You're not gonna land a whole bunch in an auction with that one, BUT you'd be surprised at what you could land on the bay with a BIN...There's a lot of low grade collectors out there that would just love to get that card in any condition. Sure, someone who can afford a better card, would maybe only pay $250 for it...But how often does this card spring up that cheap? The lowest priced BIN on the bay right now is $850(obviously it's a better looking card). My point is, that if you were to put a BIN of 500 obo on the bay, I guarantee someone who collects on the low end, would save up for it. I think you could easily get $450 for it, if you're patient...
Old 12-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Zach

This is not the best card on earth but I disagree with thinking I would be lucky to get $250 for it if I sold it. I saw other poor conditioned ones that were raw sell on ebay right after I bought mine that went for between 350-375. They were either a tad better, or a tad worse than mine. I am not saying it is worth 250 or less because I paid $400 I just strongly believed it's not THAT worthless. I do agree with it possibly selling as low as 300-350, that could easily happen. One plus about it is the excellent centering and no paper loss. I just have a hard time digesting that this is worth $500-600 as VCP averages say for one that is graded a "1." I wanted to ask opinions because a gap between 250-500,600 is a massive difference just because of a simple factor like it being slabbed. But thanks for the input guys, it helps alot, I just wish there were even more opinions on this thread since I have a spreadsheet I am making trying to organize my values. Thanks again to those that responded.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Steve

Kind of reminds me of the possibly apochryphal tale of Bob Costas carrying around a very beat up Mantle card in his wallet for 40 years, simply because it was one he had pulled out of a waxpack in his childhood, and, even though he could, if inclined, pick up a gem mint Mantle rookie with his pocket change, he preferred the dog card because of his emotional attachment to it. Any card, in any condition, is worth only what it means to the collector willing to pay for it.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:12 PM

Very well said Volod. I agree.
Regarding the Costas Mantle card...I love that story. He used to carry his original 1958 Topps All-Star Mantle #487 in his wallet, but that card got too frayed from showing it to interested people over the years. He now has another, completely laminated version of the same card. I wonder what Vin Scully carries in his wallet?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Jeff

Also, signed HOF Rookie Cards is (I believe) one of the fastest growing segments of the hobby right now. This card in this grade would offer one of those collectors a decent priced example to get signed. I think that a B-I-N reasonably priced on ebay may surprise you.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Steve

Default Does this offer any perspective?

Picked this card up at an auction for $650 a few years back - 18 bidders in all.
Thought it was a lucky deal at the time and was elated because it was the last card needed to complete the set had been working on for 24 years.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1951 Bowman Mays 650.jpg (77.1 KB, 99 views)
Old 12-02-2011, 04:37 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

That's a pretty nice "4" actually.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Zach

I am jealous Steve that is one hell of a score for that money!
Old 12-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Steve

Funny, but the other 17 bidders apparently figured the price was about right. I was giddy to have won it, and I imagine now, five years later, it might go for twice the money, mostly I guess because the great player is being hotly pursued by Father Time.