NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2021, 08:51 PM

Default Saw this on the ground yesterday...

Not pre-war exactly, but also not what I expect to find on my walk home in 2021.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1990.jpg (59.3 KB, 766 views)
Old 04-25-2021, 09:11 PM
David M.

They say plastic takes a long time to biodegrade, but that's ridiculous!
Old 04-25-2021, 10:31 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Also not pre-war, but ran into this guy on an SF sidewalk a few years back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2204.jpg (76.5 KB, 657 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2205.jpg (78.4 KB, 658 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2206.jpg (72.5 KB, 655 views)
Old 04-26-2021, 11:22 AM
Brian McSweeney

Default found 1970 basketball cards

Found these cards walking hope from elementary school in 1970. Must have recognized their value immediately, except that all damage was created by me. Still the only basketball cards I own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bb2.jpg (25.7 KB, 471 views)
Old 04-26-2021, 01:21 PM
Dave

HaHa! About 10 years ago or so, I found this Derek Jeter Bobble head in it's original box sticking out of the trash bin while we were walking out of a Japanese Restaurant.

This thing is pretty hefty, so it wasn't just some cheap cereal box insert either.

My only guess was that somebody gave it as a gift to somebody else in the restaurant.......and they were completely disturbed by the lack of resemblance to Jeter............or they were Red Sox fans.

Now it's sitting on top of one of my cabinets with a bunch of minor league giveaways and assorted knick knacks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DerekJeterBobbleHead21AprilAAA.jpg (72.6 KB, 407 views)
Old 04-26-2021, 02:20 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
Not pre-war exactly, but also not what I expect to find on my walk home in 2021.
Shouldn't this go in the pick-up thread?
Old 04-26-2021, 05:07 PM
Hank Thomas

I found a nice Hartland Redskins running back sticking out of a trash can in Takoma Park, just outside of D.C., sometime around 1980. Not much value then, but of course I took it home. About 20 years ago, I was driving in downtown D.C., going to see Frank Howard make a talk somewhere, when I looked over and saw a woman walking briskly down the sidewalk as money was flying out of her purse and fluttering behind her. I pulled over and parked in a bus zone to alert her, but by the time I got to the sidewalk she was turning the corner onto Pennsylvania Avenue a good distance away, so I started picking up the bills. There were other people around, but nobody else tried to pick up any of the money and I got all of it, around $85 as I recall. I got to the event pretty excited about my good fortune and looking forward, as always, to hear what Big Frank had to say.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

I found a 10 pound note in a subway station outside of London, and a sealed j under my range after an airbnb guest checked out.

But nothing sports-related. I've actually had dreams (while asleep) where I found really great stuff.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:55 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
I found a nice Hartland Redskins running back sticking out of a trash can in Takoma Park, just outside of D.C., sometime around 1980. Not much value then, but of course I took it home. About 20 years ago, I was driving in downtown D.C., going to see Frank Howard make a talk somewhere, when I looked over and saw a woman walking briskly down the sidewalk as money was flying out of her purse and fluttering behind her. I pulled over and parked in a bus zone to alert her, but by the time I got to the sidewalk she was turning the corner onto Pennsylvania Avenue a good distance away, so I started picking up the bills. There were other people around, but nobody else tried to pick up any of the money and I got all of it, around $85 as I recall. I got to the event pretty excited about my good fortune and looking forward, as always, to hear what Big Frank had to say.
Henry, what a coincidence to see you post - I was talking up your 'Glory of Their Times' c.d. to a friend, and believe it or not - he had a copy already!

I've heard those c.d.'s more than 'Stairway to Heaven' or 'Freebird'.
Old 04-26-2021, 08:42 PM

I purchased a group of these Lajoie Game cards from an Ebay seller who claimed (post sale) that he rescued them from a dumpster. So I guess you can say I have experienced a contact high from secondhand scavenging.

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lajoiegame300.jpg (76.7 KB, 225 views)
Old 04-26-2021, 09:11 PM
David M.

It's incredible what some people throw away. They've had entire Antique Road Show's dedicated to what people have rescued from the trash. Even solid silver pieces.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:50 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Henry, what a coincidence to see you post - I was talking up your 'Glory of Their Times' c.d. to a friend, and believe it or not - he had a copy already! I've heard those c.d.'s more than 'Stairway to Heaven' or 'Freebird'.
Ha! Me, too. Nothing against those classics, but I do think the "Glory" set holds up better! I still haul it out every few months and give it yet another listen, and it hasn't gotten old yet, 25 years later.
Old 04-27-2021, 08:33 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
I purchased a group of these Lajoie Game cards from an Ebay seller who claimed (post sale) that he rescued them from a dumpster. So I guess you can say I have experienced a contact high from secondhand scavenging.

Brian
I have a collection of over 200 smoking pipes, but one of the rarest - a 1920's Peterson clay - came out of a landfill outside of London - dug in the 1970's. After cleaning, I replaced the ferrule with one from a 1950's Pete clay, and the stem from a 1960's briar. It now looks pretty much like it should and smokes wonderfully.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201208_173926.jpg (79.4 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 20201128_140935 copy.jpg (19.7 KB, 125 views)