NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main PreWWII Forums > Net54baseball Vintage (Pre-WWII) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Default OT, Remembrance

Posted By: steve f

Spent a few hours this AM at a Department 9-11 service honoring the firefighters. As usual, many residents in town had stopped by with food and drink. It was well attended, but less grieving and I dare say a little joyous. Different from our past annual Never Forget functions. It appears we're finally beginning to heal.

I called my son afterwards, to send my love, he's at college in NYC. Mike and some others students were on the way to WTC to pay respects, then heading uptown for lunch and to attend the Letterman taping.

I'm proud of Americas' resilience and compassion. Has anyone else noticed any positive changes?

9.11.01 0847hrs...
Dispatch FDNY, "Working box 8087,
Tower-7 to respond, WTC and Liberty Street"

RIP, The Valiant Six from TL-7

Please take the time to read a bit about 'em.

http://www.fallenbrothers.com/community/showthread.php?t=1167

Old 09-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Default OT, Remembrance

Posted By: leon

I watched a special this evening about flight 93, and several news shows today, covering the tragic event. Very sad to hear lot's of the stories. Not sure how political we want to get here but I hope we find Bin Laden and nuke him..... We should never forget 9/11...may all those that lost their lives rest in peace....

Old 09-12-2006, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Default OT, Remembrance

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Leon

I don't think we will ever find Bin Laden as he is dead. He hasn't appeared in any
of his propaganda videos since October of 2004. And, if you recall in that one he
looked like death warmed over. His face was gaunt and his expression and his hair
and his beard looked like the visage of of a dying man. He supposedly had kidney
problems. And, if that didn't do him in; then, his evilness consumed him.

Now, we have his #2 propagandist, Al Zawahri (or whatever), who is talking for him.
If you go back to two years ago, this dude had a younger, robust face. Now in this
recent video this guy, too, has a gaunt face that looks quite strained.

Their evil ways are consuming these terrorist and I think they are getting a preview
of Hell, while they are still alive.

The day of 9/11/2001 is one we will always recall (just like JFK's assasination) what we
were doing when we first heard the news and watched smoke rising from the North tower.
I recall the news outlets initially saying it was hit by a commuter plane and I thought that
they have to be kidding us. Then 15 mins later the South tower exploded with a huge fireball
as Flt 175 drove right thru it.

A good friend of mine lost his son that day in one of the towers. And, my older Daughter's
neighbor lost her husband. Just imagine the grief that these two gals suffered thru as they
watched that 2nd plane slice thru the South tower, and knowing your loved one was in the
path of that destruction.

May GOD protect us from these barbarians....who are stuck back in the dark ages.

Old 09-12-2006, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Default OT, Remembrance

Posted By: Anonymous

Thanks for posting this. I can vividly remember on the first anniversary having to pull my car over to the side of the road to wipe away a tear or two. Something i will certainly never forget. May God bless all those individuals and their families who were affected by this. Time will do its healing and America will be stronger for it.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Default OT, Remembrance

Posted By: jay behrens

I had a friend who quit her job working for a company that had offices in the North tower on the 93rd floor a week before the attack. She lost a lot of friends that day. I also knew one of the people that died on flight 93.

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Default OT, Remembrance

Posted By: Jason

I was surprised at how hard it hit home again this year. The media coverage is just overwhelming, which is good for those that can be enlightened, but also makes for a much tougher day for someone who was there.

I was there (not as close as the unfortunate, but a block away was close enough to understand), and I have friends who died, family members of co-workers that died, I was supposed to attend a conference in one of the towers the very next day, and my brother-in-law was supposed to be on one of the planes but changed his ticket 2 days before. These events can really shake you, and I wish events and emotions like these upon no one.
This "OT" post is very appropriate and I hope everyone else agrees.

Sept 12 is the best day of the year, and I think we should all look forward to, and be grateful for, every one of them we see in the future...thanks.

Regards,
Jason

Old 09-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Default OT, Remembrance

Posted By: barrysloate

I saw the towers burning from the top floor of my building, as I live only a mile away. I remember the eerie silence and trying to imagine what was going on in that moment as the smoke billowed out. Walking around my neighborhood that day the sky was a complete haze. Small bits of paper fell into our front and back yards, remnants that had blown across the East River into Brooklyn. My wife and I went to the hospital down the street from us and sat there all day signing up volunteers who wanted to donate blood or help in any way they could. We anticipated the hospital would be swarming with patients coming in who needed medical attention, but almost nobody was admitted. Either you survived the attack unharmed or you were lost. I will never forget that day. My greatest fear is that something equally insidious may happen again.

Old 09-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Default OT, Remembrance

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Steve F.

Thanks for providing your link for us to read.
My nephew, a paramedic, worked at one of the downtown triage's for days after 9/11.
His stories were heart-rending......just like the stories in your link. And, I agree with
you about the compassion and resilency of most Americans.

Unfortunately though, some are not too "resilient". And, what I am referring to is this
growing suspicion that our government blew up those towers and that the Pentagon was
not hit by Flt 77. Well, why don't these skeptics ask Barbara Olsen's husband where she is ?
Or Deborah Burlingame where her brother is ? Capt. Burlingame was the pilot flying Flt 77
that day.

A poll taken recently indicated that 35% of Americans do not only blame Mohamed Atta and
the 18 other terrorists....but are saying that our goverment was complicit in this terrorist act.

And, about half of this group (16%) are telling us that what we actually saw that morning
did not really happen.....but that agents in our government somehow planted bombs in the
towers and exploded them. Well, Ramsy Yousef tried that "stunt" in 1993 and guess what ?
He was unsuccessful.

Steve.....maybe I am getting too old......but this stuff really bothers me.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:09 PM
Administrator

Default OT, Remembrance

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

I thought I'd go back as far as this board could go and I got to page 251 and it was for Sept 13, 2001. No real mention of the towers I could see immediately.

I spent a lot of time up in NY/NJ area from 2001-2003 off and on and always loved going into the city. Have great photos of the group of people I worked with on Liberty Island with the towers in the background. Still can't really believe it happened. Spent a few nights at the Millenium Hilton in 2003 which is directly adjacent to the site where the towers stood. On the 18-20th floor where our room was it was pretty eerie just staring down into that hole.

Hopefully, none of us forgets 9-11. It's a tough day for me too because my grandfather died 9-11-2002, so I remember it for another way.

Pretty tough reliving it through all the tv coverage. Thanks to all those who continually give of themselves so the rest of us can be safe......

Old 09-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Default OT, Remembrance

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I saw the second tower collapse from my office window. I was so shocked at what I saw that I had to turn on the TV to see if it really happened. That long walk back home on streets filled with equally bewildered New Yorkers, occasionally joined by someone covered in ash, was funereal and mostly silent. The only thing nice about that disaster was how New York really came together for a few days. Everyone was friendly and caring towards each other, even on the subways. I could smell the burning of the rubble for days from my apt 70 blocks north of the towers. I have one memory that really stuck out that I've never shared before, which really explained a lot to me: a day or so later a kid about 18 or so who looked to be very poor and angry was riding his bicycle on the street and saying at the top of his lungs that some more planes were coming out of the sky and we should all watch out. He was basically rooting for the terrorists because he felt so disenfranchised and left out and apparently identified more with them than us.