NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-17-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Default 1952 Topps Mantle - I would like to have your opinions

Posted By: Shane Hardie

You guys are the experts. I would like to have your opinions on this Mantle. I just acquired this, and I plan on sending it to PSA in the near future. As you can see, the background on this Mantle has been recolored, probably by some kid in the 1950's. It looks like some sort of paint substance. I have no doubt that this card is genuine. It passes the flashlight test, the pixels are identical to the other 1952 Topps cards, the black ink on the borders and Mantle's name and signature are solid and not pixelated.

I have contacted Joe Orlando at PSA. He said that they would holder it as "authentic" and altered, which is fine. I knew that they would not give it a numerical grade. Even with it being recolored, I think it still has decent eye appeal because of the centering. I have seen far worse.

My question - would I benefit from having this card professionally restored? I realize that professionally restoring a card in order to be deceptive is taboo. That is not my intent. My intent would be to still get it into a PSA "Authentic" holder, but with better eye appeal. I saw in Robert Edward's Spring Auction where a perfectly centered SGC "Authentic" sold for $7,500, just because it had tremendous eye appeal.

So, would it be beneficial to look into it? Should I leave it alone? What are the risks if I decide to do it? Who should I get to restore it (if I should get it restore at all)? Can it even be restored? Can it be restored TOO MUCH to get into an "authentic" holder?

Here are some scans.

Here is a closeup to show the pixels and the black ink.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

When you find out the cost of restoration, you be better able to make a decision. The cost may make the decision for you.

I would say going either way is fine. As you noted, the card in its current state has eye appeal and would okay decent as is in an 'authentic' holder. I've seen worse looking 52T Mantles that haven't been crayoned.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

My question - would I benefit from having this card professionally restored?

I take it you mean this financially. Objectively, my guess would be yes, because this past year I've seen a good number of "restored", or doctored, or whatever word one wants to use, 52 Mantles in Authentic holders go for a decent amount of money. However, I don't know what you paid for it.

I think you'd have to be careful though about the amount of restoration because there was one about 6 months ago up for auction, in a respective auction house, that was listed unholdered -- the grading co. note that accompanied it said the restoration was too extensive. So if getting it into a holder is your main objective you might want to find out where there line is drawn (no pun intended), if you can.

Now, subjectively, and this has nothing to do with you, I know this card is an icon, but honestly I am always amazed at the price this card brings in gorgeous condition but holdered Authentic. The darn thing is so cost prohibitive to so many of us that sometimes maybe it is the only way available of getting an example that some people can stand to look at. Personally though, for my own collection, and money being a object, I'd rather have one in poor or fair condition and know it got that way "naturally". That's just my opinion, I'm not trying to be preachy or holier than thou. I would just enjoy it more. But I understand this is not what you are really asking.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Note that my response wasn't about value.

If the card were mine, I'd get it PSA graded as is. If the card was hideously marred I might get it fixed, but yours is nice looking. A non-collector might say the background is rather attractive, artistic.

Years ago I saw a 52T Mantle that was permanently sealed to the bottom of a transparent ash tray. To view Mickey's face you had to look through the ashtray. And it auctioned for a fair amount of money (I was an underbidder), proving lots of people want that card.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

without damaging the card itself, I'd say go for it. Odds are that no grader is going to refuse to authenticate an authentic card with some junk removed. However, you would have to carefully research and retain a good fine arts conservator to do the work.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 05-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim

Knowing nothing about card restoration my question is this...If the best the card can grade is Authentic, wouldn't any increased value restoration could possibly bring be consumed by the restoration fees?

Old 05-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Thanks for your replies. In regards to whether or not the fees would be worth it, I am going to check today to see what it would cost.

As far as PSA holdering it or not holdering it because the restoration would be "too extensive", I am hoping to find out something today, as well. I will keep you guys posted.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Shane -- the card that I referred to as "too extensive" to be holdered was totally pristine. My guess is that the corners were rebuilt, among many other things. It doesn't sound to me like you are looking to do something like that, but I mentioned it just in case. Good luck to you and "it" no matter what you decide to do. If you go for it I'd be interested to see an "after" scan.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Which company said that the restoration was too extensive? Was it SGC? The reason that I asked is because I have talked with SGC and they said that they probably would not holder it even now because of the amount of recoloring. However, Joe Orlando (at PSA) and I have emailed back and forth. He said that they could holder it like it is or holder even if it was restored. I asked him what the limit of resoration and he really did not address that issue. Basically, I emailed him a very detailed email, and he shot me back a one liner saying that if it was authentic, that they could holder a restored card.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Shane -- yes, fairly certain it was SGC that wouldn't holder it.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:16 AM
Administrator

A couple of days ago I left a message with Joe Orlando at PSA. Well, last evening, he actually called me back. He was very, very nice and we talked for about 5 minutes. After describing the card to him, he said that they would slab it in an "Authentic" holder, but they would have to notate that it was restored/altered. So, now that I have confirmation on that, I have to decide whether or not I want to go through the process of having it restored, or just send it in as it is.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:14 AM
Administrator

I don't see much difference for you whether PSA notes the restored/altered. When we see any card like this -- but particulary this one, because we often see it looking so swell, but with an "Authentic" -- it comes with the implied assumption that it HAS had work done to it. Since I am going on the assumption that you plan to sell it, what is the difference whether the restoration is fully disclosed by the grading company or by yourself -- which of course I know you would do as a matter of being on the up-and-up.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:23 AM
Administrator

Your right. I don't think that there is much difference. In fact, I think that they would put "altered" or "recolored" on the flip as it is right now.