NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Default Speaking of T206's - Cobby green from Marshall

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

Regardless what its grade should be, I think we will all agree that it is a gorgeous card that we would all love to own. It was nice of Marshall to share it with us, and I think in such instances we should pay homage to the saying that if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all. We want to encourage people to share their items and there are no shortages of other threads in which to discuss grading inaccuracies.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Leon

I assume your reference to Derek Grady is the same Derek that I know,
who formerly did the grading for SGC ?

This guy, in my opinion, personifies a true grader, and a fine gentleman
on top of that. I had an nice experience with him regarding 1949 Leaf and
Bowman cards. And, what impressed me about him, was that he was willing
ask advice from us "dinosaurs", in order to expand his knowledge on the
various subtleties of these card issues. Which provided him insight that
would help him to further perform his job.

Does anyone know what Derek is doing now ?

Old 03-02-2006, 08:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

Honestly Jay, getting so fired up over a baseball card seems to be such a waste of energy. If more people treated the hobby as a hobby, there would be a lot more happy and satisfied people out there. For the record, the card looks like an SGC 70/80.

J--

Old 03-02-2006, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Ted- Derek is one of the acquisition people at Mastro Auctions.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

James, I'm not fired up about a card. What got me fired up is Craig and others who think that I and others who spoke up about this card being overgraded, should just bow down and worship at the temple of the PSA registry, or at the very least, don't say anything that will hurt someone's feelings. It's not going to happen with me.

Corey, as I've said before, if getting one of your cards critiqued is going to hurt your feelings and lead to years of therapy, then card collecting isn't for you. You people act as if everyone is an emotional time bomb that will be traumatized by the slightest thing that won't make them feel good.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Leon- I'll tell you exactly how the Matty was graded by GAI since you are wondering and think this is such a giant state secret: The card had a small color fleck come off a few years ago and not knowing any better, I attached it back on in the same spot where it flecked. Because this made it "altered," in order to restore it to the exact same condition it was in before the fleck was reattached, I simply pulled the fleck back off. Because of this, any grading company would gave graded it. GAI encapsulated it and gave it a 1 which it should have received. Satisfied?
As far as the personal attack on me, you are entitled to your opinion. I think you equate the fact that I don't like the fact that some people who are "in the hobby know" seem to get better grades when cards are submitted than Joe Collector. I guess you either disagree with that or you somehow think I am referring to you as one of those people. I have told you before how when consigning card sets to two major auction houses I was told to let them submit the cards for grading because they could get better grades on them than I could. (By the way I currently have a set consigned to Mastro and Mastro is NOT who I am referring to in case you wondered).
We have been acquaintances for a long time and I have never used this Board or any other to publically castigate or disparage you the way you did me. Frankly I expected a little more out of you, Leon. Maybe you are having a bad day but I thought your post was pretty petty and I expected more from you. If you don't want to hear my "whining," hey just let me know, I'll be happy to move on because it is after all your Board.

Old 03-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Masson

They say that the intensity of argument is inversely proportionate to the importance of the topic at hand. This thread seems to be a case in point. I, for one, am unwilling to declare a jihad over a 7 in an 8 holder.

Jay, I'm guessing you're not a "people person"

Old 03-02-2006, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Yes, I was probably having a bad morning but your post about hypocrisy on the board and being one of the "in" crowd, so to speak, set me off. I do consider you a good hobby friend and still do. It was a little personal because I took your post that way. Probably shouldn't have. If you decide to not post that is totally up to you but I hope you don't. It's not "my" board but "our" board. It would get really lonely if I was the only one posting. Please realize anytime you post something that has teeth in it you might get it back ....just like I do. For the record I have never edited or deleted a post about me. If I can throw jabs then I need to take them too. Your points are well taken....best regards

Old 03-02-2006, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BcDaniels

PSA does not have a grade of 7.5

sometimes they don't grade at all! Ask Danny!

Old 03-02-2006, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Count me as one who sees this one the way Elliot, Craig, Keith, Corey, etc. do.
JimB

Old 03-02-2006, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Richard, we met at the National. Making everyone like me is not one of my goals in life. If refusing to suck up rates me as a not being a people person, so be it. Trust this though, I will never feed you a line bull just to make you think better of me. What I will do is give honest, frank opinions. To paraphrase the Jack Nicholson line "Most people can't handle the truth."

I'll repeat this again THIS HAS NOTHING TO WITH THE CARD BEING OVERGRADED AND EVERYTHING TO DO WITH A BUNCH OF SUCK UPS THAT WHAT ME AND OTHERS TO SHUT UP BECAUSE ME MIGHT OFFEND SOMEONE. If you whiny little babies can't handle freedom of speech, I suggest that you leave this board, pack your bags and move to China or some other totalitarian regime where speech is tightly controlled. This sounds like a place more to your liking.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 03-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

near mint card. All of my Cobbs are 10s--SGC 10s...sigh...