NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 09-29-2012, 09:06 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Default Some advice needed about Musial's signature

I am not an autograph collector but I am a huge fan of Stan Musial and I just reciently found out that you can send in an item for him to sign personally and get it back. The cost runs a bit high bit I have a cool vintage Musial item that I thought would look great in a display.

When I was just looking around ebay to see what else (besides cards) he has signed I noticed that his classic signature is, let's say, less to be desired. I know he is aging and must be becomeing taxing but I havn't heard of any major issue with him.

Even up until last years stuff his signiture remained basically the same.
I don't want to sound selfish but I am a bit hesitant on sending in my item to be signed and putting up that kind of money. I don't much in the way of a collectible budget so this would be huge for me.

Any advise for you guys who deal with this stuff?

Drew

BTW the piece is a vinal record called "Stan the Man's Hit Record". It isn't worth much on its own but it is in excellent shape and the colors are still like new

Last edited by almostdone; 09-29-2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: I spell like an idiot
Old 09-29-2012, 09:13 PM
Banned

not sure what you are saying.

if you want it signed, send it in, if not, don't. it cost what it cost. if you really want it signed, i wouldnt wait, he is in his 90's.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:21 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
not sure what you are saying.

if you want it signed, send it in, if not, don't. it cost what it cost. if you really want it signed, i wouldnt wait, he is in his 90's.
I guess I'm not sue about sending it in to get signed when his signiture looks so terrible as to compared to what it had been for so many years. It isn't legible from what I am seeing and I am really looking for something to keep and display for years.
I wouldn't hesitate in getting it signed if I had the chance to do it in person but I'm afraid that probably won't happen.
Just disappointed I suppose in his signature and myself for being petty.
Drew
Old 09-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Banned

i see what you mean, look at hank aarons signature now.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:40 PM
Jim M.arinari

If you don't like his signature now, my suggestion would be to find an autograph that you like, then use it in a framed /matted display. I think you might be sorry if you got the record signed.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:44 PM
James Wymer

I think you may be sorry later if you do not get it signed. That Stan the Man record can be replaced, but Stan will not be signing much longer. I think it is easier to deal with regrets on an item that you possess than one that you cannot own because you missed the boat.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 09-30-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
If you don't like his signature now, my suggestion would be to find an autograph that you like, then use it in a framed /matted display. I think you might be sorry if you got the record signed.
I agree with Jim on this, FWIW
Old 09-30-2012, 09:55 AM
J@RR0D

Here's a related thread I started last year that may have some info for you.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=133203
Old 09-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Thanks Jarrod. That's the thread that I actually got the idea from about sending in an item to be signed.

I appreciate the input as far as a cut auto to display witht he record but it's not about owning a Musial autograph it's more about getting him to sign something of mine that I already have owned. Living where I do I never get a chance to actually get a autograph in person so I figured this is the next best thing like I'm saying "Mr. Musial. Would you mind signing this for me?". It's more about the romance of the thought I suppose.

It is also a big financial decision for me. According to his web site it would cost $150 plus shipping both ways in order to get it. I don't have the budget at all to just try this on a whim. Meaning if I decide to get it signed than this is basically my big collectible for the year.

Another qestion. I thought I had seen that if you do send something in to him and it comes back with a letter of authenticity also signed by him. Is this true?

I just keep going back and forth on it. It is really more about my admiration for who he was as a player. Like I stated earlier if I had the chance to meet him in person to sign it I wouldn't hesitate even if his signature was nothing more than a circle and scribble.

Here is a link to his older signature compared to his more recient one

Older:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/390471148101...84.m1438.l2649

Recient:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270958190810...84.m1438.l2648

Drew
Old 09-30-2012, 02:51 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Wow! That recent auto is horrible.....a shame.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Danny Smith

Default Musial

Stan is very sick and his signature on a good day is very poor. Some of the sigs these days are almost chicken scratch. I was at his office a few weeks ago in St. Louis and it is extremely sad to see him propped up to sign hundreds of items a day. Unfortunately it is the only way to get anything signed by him as he no longer flies and doesnt do shows (even locally) anymore due to his health.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Hearing that makes me sad. I almost feel guilty asking about all of this. I wish I had the foresight to do this a few years ago but now I'm not sure what is the best thing to do.

Part of me wants to just leave him alone and let him try to have a little peace at this point in his life.

Any other thoughts?

Drew
Old 09-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Steve Zarelli

I don't think you mentioned what the item was, because in my view that makes a difference.

If it was a rare one of a kind item, I would probably keep it as-is.

If it is a more common item, I'd send it in and get it signed. Even if the sig is poor, it still passed through his hands, and ultimately that is more important than having a textbook perfect signature.

As a collector I have a long list of regrets from waiting too long on any number of people. Other than items that went missing and never returned, I can't think of one regret from sending an item.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:35 PM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
I don't think you mentioned what the item was, because in my view that makes a difference.

If it was a rare one of a kind item, I would probably keep it as-is.

If it is a more common item, I'd send it in and get it signed. Even if the sig is poor, it still passed through his hands, and ultimately that is more important than having a textbook perfect signature.

As a collector I have a long list of regrets from waiting too long on any number of people. Other than items that went missing and never returned, I can't think of one regret from sending an item.

He has a Stan the Man record that is in pretty good shape
Old 09-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Scott

Very sad to hear indeed. I loved Stan's signature. Seems we may lose another All time great legend soon.

Got this a while back from a Net54'er. This is how Id love to remember Stan's signature
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MusialPhoto.jpg (62.7 KB, 134 views)
Old 09-30-2012, 09:22 PM
Mike Navarro

From the things you have written, I would say don't get it signed. I think the allure to you would have been the opportunity to have gotten it signed in person and it doesn't sound like that is going to happen. You mentioned the "romance" in asking for it to be signed and in the personal touch. Look at it this way, there is no romance in this potential business transaction, much like a hooker. He would sign it for $150 even if a serial killer was sending it to him. He's doing nothing special for you other then taking your hard earned money. I don't mean this to be demeaning to Stan at all, just trying to categorize it as a non personal business transaction. Since the dollar amount is material to you, I don't think you'd be happy if it looked like a chicken scratch. For the same $150, you could get a nice, flawless sig from his better signing days. It wouldn't have that personal touch to you, but remember, it wouldn't be a personal touch for him even if you send your own item in, it's just business to him and his family.

However, if I'm inferring wrong and it would mean a LOT to you to have his signature (whether good or bad) on YOUR particular item, then by all means, send it in. But, I think if that was the case, you wouldn't be asking the question in the first place.

Good luck and I hope you make whatever decision makes you happiest in the long run

Mike
Old 10-01-2012, 04:50 AM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
From the things you have written, I would say don't get it signed. I think the allure to you would have been the opportunity to have gotten it signed in person and it doesn't sound like that is going to happen. You mentioned the "romance" in asking for it to be signed and in the personal touch. Look at it this way, there is no romance in this potential business transaction, much like a hooker. He would sign it for $150 even if a serial killer was sending it to him. He's doing nothing special for you other then taking your hard earned money. I don't mean this to be demeaning to Stan at all, just trying to categorize it as a non personal business transaction. Since the dollar amount is material to you, I don't think you'd be happy if it looked like a chicken scratch. For the same $150, you could get a nice, flawless sig from his better signing days. It wouldn't have that personal touch to you, but remember, it wouldn't be a personal touch for him even if you send your own item in, it's just business to him and his family.

However, if I'm inferring wrong and it would mean a LOT to you to have his signature (whether good or bad) on YOUR particular item, then by all means, send it in. But, I think if that was the case, you wouldn't be asking the question in the first place.

Good luck and I hope you make whatever decision makes you happiest in the long run

Mike
+1
Old 10-01-2012, 06:10 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

I truly appreciate all of the advice. I knew throwing it out here would be a good idea. I am able to see other perspectives about all of this on both sides.

At this point I am leaning away from doing it. The last post made a lot of sence. Whether I do it or not I am still planning on building a nice Musial display with some of the peices that I have. Once complete (probably after Chritsmas because I am so busy) I will post a few pictures to get everyones opinions.

For now here is a picture of the album in bebate

Thanks again for all of the input,
Drew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6270.jpg (75.0 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by almostdone; 10-01-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:15 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Smith View Post
Stan is very sick and his signature on a good day is very poor. Some of the sigs these days are almost chicken scratch. I was at his office a few weeks ago in St. Louis and it is extremely sad to see him propped up to sign hundreds of items a day. Unfortunately it is the only way to get anything signed by him as he no longer flies and doesnt do shows (even locally) anymore due to his health.
Am I the only one who thinks this is a terrible way to treat the man at this point in his life?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this is a terrible way to treat the man at this point in his life?
I totally agree

I sure hope this is his request for his family, and not his family trying to squeeze every penny out of his hand
Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 AM

Default JimStinson

A Vintage signature signed at around the same time the record came out matted with the record and framed would work just fine. A vintage Musial signature would set you back around $35.00, cost of matting and framing maybe $75.00. Since he signed SO much in his life you might even be able to find one inscribed to your first name, which would lend a personal touch to it.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:33 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
Well, it does sound ghastly when presented in that way. But who knows... maybe Stan wants to keep signing to stay active in some way and/or to provide his family with additional income.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Is@ac Le.vin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Well, it does sound ghastly when presented in that way. But who knows... maybe Stan wants to keep signing to stay active in some way and/or to provide his family with additional income.

I hope this isn't a John Henry Williams situation where the family grossly abuses the wants of an elderly man for profit.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:58 AM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
I hope this isn't a John Henry Williams situation where the family grossly abuses the wants of an elderly man for profit.
I follow his son on twitter because he often posts updates about his father, but lately all the messages are about him signing...I really hope it isn't the case...
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123
Old 10-01-2012, 11:16 AM
M@rk V3l@rd3

I was in a very similar situation recently, but with Muhammad Ali. His signature has deteriorated very dramatically over time due to his Parkinson's. I had a Sport Magazine signed by Bobby Hull, Koufax, Mantle, Jim Brown, Bill Russell, and Willie Mays. It was missing Ali and Unitas. I went back and forth about getting Ali, because of the signature and the price.
I agree with Mike Navarro that there isn't a personal connection with a mail away item and so I decided to go for it, despite the sig quality. My lovely wife got me the sig as a Christmas gift.
While the sig is small, I am happy with it.

Given the cost is such a big part of your budget, I think Jim Stinson's idea makes a lot of sense.

Other interests/sets/collectibles.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/96571220@N08/albums

My for sale or trade photobucket album
https://flic.kr/s/aHsk7c1SRL
Old 10-01-2012, 11:16 AM
J@RR0D

I'll make two points, which are related in my mind...

1. Having an item signed specifically FOR me (even though I'm simply sending it in with a check) makes it feel personal and much more special than something I bought on ebay. This is why I've never once thought of selling my Musial signed RC.

2. I wanted to get Killebrew's RC signed and was going to send it in with the $60 fee when I sent a donation to his organization but I decided to wait. (I probably blew that $60 on some modern crap) When I heard he was sick and thought "I'd better send this in NOW!", it was too late. He was no longer signing.

Yes, I could buy a signed Killebrew on ebay but it would never feel personal like the Musial does.

Food for thought...
Old 10-01-2012, 05:30 PM

delete

Last edited by Cfern023; 10-01-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmp123 View Post
I follow his son on twitter because he often posts updates about his father, but lately all the messages are about him signing...I really hope it isn't the case...
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac2004 View Post
John Henry Williams died of cancer in 04, Ted Williams son right?

Who was it you were talking about issac, curious?

Edit: I think it was Musials son, sorry.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Sorry I'm late to the party but I just saw this. From my experience, I would not send it in to be signed. I have mentioned before that I sent in an early 70's 3000 hit Sports Ill already signed by Aaron, and Musials sig came back extreamely poor. It's framed in my hallway and it makes me quite sad to see his sig so bad after all the years of his strong penmenship. I would go the mat and frame route with a vintage sig like Jim suggested.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:08 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

I was just looking at recent signatures on ebay...they are HORRID! Not sure how Topps can even release this stuff (I know, I know).

If someone dug up Ruth's skeleton and put a sharpie in it it would produce better 'signatures' than what Musial is capable of these days....
Old 10-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Again, I appreciate all of the imput here on the boeards. After much thought I am fairly certain that I willl not get the album autographed. It is not like Musial is my favorite all time player although in my top ten for sure. It is also not like I have had this record since my childhood and have always dreamed of getting it signed (a friend found it in a yard sale about three years ago and thought I might appreciate it).

I will go ahead and make some sort of Musial themed display for my "man cave" and it will more than likely hold at least one autographed item but the record will not be one of them. As mentioned before I will be happy to shoew it off after completed. (They tend to take me a while to complete)

If you have any items or even suggestions of any other unique but relativly inexpensive item or items I might be able to include let me know. I am always open to seeing what others might have. PM me or just add to this thread.

Again thaks again to all who gave thier advice and opinions on the matter. I truly do appreciate all of it.

Drew
Old 10-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Steve Zarelli

I'd have it framed along with a signed HOF postcard rather than a cut. You can get a beautifully signed HOF card for around $30.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:17 PM

Here are two cards I had signed by Mr. Musial about 2 years apart. The 1953 was signed about 3 months ago. It is sad to see how his signature has gone downhill but I still love both of the cards. I feel it is an honor to get his signature no matter what it looks like.
Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Musial.jpg (67.4 KB, 111 views)
Old 10-04-2012, 01:41 AM

Wow, its sad to see his signature fall that far.

Hopefully they let him rest someday soon.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:28 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoudeyJim View Post
Here are two cards I had signed by Mr. Musial about 2 years apart. The 1953 was signed about 3 months ago.
If that's an accurate representation of what Mr. Musial's signature looks like today, it's still more legible than many of the autographs signed by today's players.

(Gallery of Awful Autographs)
Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
If that's an accurate representation of what Mr. Musial's signature looks like today, it's still more legible than many of the autographs signed by today's players.

(Gallery of Awful Autographs)
Lol

Clearly not a lot of pride in his own name. If you can't do something right, why bother at all?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Scott

Now, whoever that is. how in the HECK can you authenticate that? ANYONE could do a wiggly squiggle.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Now, whoever that is. how in the HECK can you authenticate that? ANYONE could do a wiggly squiggle.
Almost makes you wonder if the signature is intentionally designed that way so the ONLY way to buy one with any confidence would have to be through a paid signing.

Then again... nah... just a lazy stiff with no pride is more likely.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 10-05-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:18 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

I think a more important question is one that I asked in the "Gallery of Awful Autographs" article that I linked to: do these guys sign their contracts and other legal and financial paperwork the same way they sign their cards and stickers?