NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-23-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domer05 View Post

...there's one other Notre Dame pennant, that I know of, that features the term and the year 1924 on it. I've never actually seen it, so who knows if any exist today, but I do believe it was made. You can read all about it, and my attempt to reproduce it, here...
Sorry. I put the wrong URL. Try here: https://pennantfactory.weebly.com/bl...e-pennant-1925
Old 06-23-2021, 04:59 PM
Jim Murphy

Great selection of pennants in the Hunt auctions all star auction

Last edited by murphusa; 06-23-2021 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-24-2021, 03:36 PM
Drew

As promised, attaching photos of other ND pennants from the '20s to maybe early '50s. Very slow buildup on the framing, but I'll get there eventually . The first two pictured are likely next in line alongside the '24 championship one.

I'm thinking of getting the Fighting Irish one restored, but would welcome thoughts on if that's worth the effort. Pennant is from Green Mountain Studios - missing its 3rd set of tassels and has extensive moth damage in areas, but it exists!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rarest ND Pennants.jpg (67.9 KB, 320 views)
File Type: jpg ND Player Pennants.jpg (80.4 KB, 323 views)
File Type: jpg ND pennants.jpg (81.3 KB, 323 views)
Old 06-24-2021, 04:27 PM
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc1917 View Post
As promised, attaching photos of other ND pennants from the '20s to maybe early '50s. Very slow buildup on the framing, but I'll get there eventually . The first two pictured are likely next in line alongside the '24 championship one.

I'm thinking of getting the Fighting Irish one restored, but would welcome thoughts on if that's worth the effort. Pennant is from Green Mountain Studios - missing its 3rd set of tassels and has extensive moth damage in areas, but it exists!
That's an amazing collection of ND pennants. WOW!
Old 06-25-2021, 02:03 PM
Gary

A few recent pick ups arrived today. Nothing super rare but I was looking for the Killebrew pennant and found it in an unlikely online auction from Canada.

Catalog References:
  • MWBW004-TBC
  • NYMT022-TBC
  • LADG008-ADFL
  • MNTW003-TBC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210625_001709.jpg (77.8 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg 20210625_001715.jpg (82.0 KB, 307 views)
Old 06-26-2021, 08:26 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCardGuy View Post
A few recent pick ups arrived today. Nothing super rare but I was looking for the Killebrew pennant and found it in an unlikely online auction from Canada.

Catalog References:
  • MWBW004-TBC
  • NYMT022-TBC
  • LADG008-ADFL
  • MNTW003-TBC
Maybe not super rare, but super cool!
Old 06-26-2021, 08:34 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc1917 View Post

Those are some great pennants! The first two are off the charts!

You know, in the 107 pages and 5300 posts to this thread, I don’t know if we’ve ever discussed professional restoration. I ‘ve done my share of amateur restoration but would have a clue how to handle the moth damage to the Fighting Irish. Do you know of a person who does that kind of work?

I’m interested to see what others have to say about restoration. My guess is the opinion will be “go for it if you intent to keep it; you must disclose it if you ever sell.” Personally, I'd love to see if something could be done.

We’re all on a first name basis....what’s yours?
Old 06-26-2021, 08:35 AM
Rob

P.S. is there a tag for Green Mountain Studios?
Old 06-26-2021, 09:45 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Those are some great pennants! The first two are off the charts!

You know, in the 107 pages and 5300 posts to this thread, I don’t know if we’ve ever discussed professional restoration. I ‘ve done my share of amateur restoration but would have a clue how to handle the moth damage to the Fighting Irish. Do you know of a person who does that kind of work?

I’m interested to see what others have to say about restoration. My guess is the opinion will be “go for it if you intent to keep it; you must disclose it if you ever sell.” Personally, I'd love to see if something could be done.

We’re all on a first name basis....what’s yours?
I can't imagine that would be cheap, so it would have to be reserved for very special pennants. And who wants to risk messing with those? In 25+ years of collecting, I've never see a pennant that was described as professionally restored...so it's either not a thing or not worth the money. Maybe others have?
Old 06-26-2021, 09:57 AM
Rob

On closer inspection, it seems the only really bad portions are lower left and upper right. You could do what I’ve done….cut out little felt patches and tape them from the back.
Old 06-26-2021, 10:29 AM
Rob

I just picked up a book on the Pacific Coast League. Check out these beauties...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan.jpg (65.2 KB, 291 views)
Old 06-26-2021, 10:32 AM

Restoration?? Are you kidding? Nooooooooo. How on earth would you replace missing pieces of 100+ year old, sun faded, patina'd felt? Between that and the frame you'd spend more than the pennant was worth (and, you'd certainly devalue it for resale purposes).

I say let these priceless artifacts show their age. Sure, the Declaration of Independence's looking a bit shabby; but, nobody's about to trace over John Hancock's signature, just to make it look like it did on July 4, 1776.

It's a 100+ year old pennant. It's okay to look old.

If you want a happy medium, I recommend scanning the color of the primary felt color; printing it in the shape of a triangle; and placing the pennant atop this background, so the pennant appears--from a distance--to be one, intact pennant. Up close, you'll see the holes; and that will convince others that they're looking at a truly special (and unrestored) pennant. Everybody wins!

This is precisely how the Smithsonian displayed the Star Spangled Banner for many decades.

Just make sure the background is printed on acid free material. Or better yet, use felt ... if you can match the color.
Old 06-26-2021, 11:00 AM
Rob

Quote:
Restoration?? Are you kidding? Nooooooooo. How on earth would you replace missing pieces of 100+ year old, sun faded, patina'd felt? Between that and the frame you'd spend more than the pennant was worth (and, you'd certainly devalue it for resale purposes).

I say let these priceless artifacts show their age. Sure, the Declaration of Independence's looking a bit shabby; but, nobody's about to trace over John Hancock's signature, just to make it look like it did on July 4, 1776.

If you want a happy medium, I recommend scanning the color of the primary felt color; printing it in the shape of a triangle; and placing the pennant atop this background, so the pennant appears--from a distance--to be one, intact pennant. Up close, you'll see the holes; and that will convince others that they're looking at a truly special (and unrestored) pennant. Everybody wins!

This is precisely how the Smithsonian displayed the Star Spangled Banner for many decades.

Just make sure the background is printed on acid free material. Or better yet, use felt ... if you can match the color.
That sounds like a good plan.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:54 PM
Rob

Quote:
On closer inspection, it seems the only really bad portions are lower left and upper right. You could do what I’ve done….cut out little felt patches and tape them from the back.
I've got a Cardinals pennant I did that to. You can barely tell...from the front.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:56 PM
Rob

Quote:

That's a great and practical solution.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:59 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Those ND early pennants are off the charts as is the national champs one.

That Killebrew pennant is nice and tougher than the different photo versions you see around more. DWR is the expert on the Twins photo pennants
Old 06-27-2021, 02:20 PM
Gary

Default 1910 Connie Mack Athletics Pennant

I'm working on more updates to the Pennant Catalog. I came upon this Connie Mack Athletics pennant from an auction in 2019. The listing says that the top was restored. I'm assuming that means the spine and tassels were replaced.

I'm interested on thoughts on this one? Does anyone remember the auction in 2019?

https://paragonauctions.com/CIRCA_19...-LOT10045.aspx
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10045a_med.jpg (4.3 KB, 263 views)
Old 06-27-2021, 02:33 PM
Rob

Saw these on ebay. I have a couple of different Giants pennants done by Schmidt's. I thought it was cool to see the whole intact set, along with string and directions for display options (not $250 cool, tho).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (76.3 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg (74.7 KB, 263 views)
Old 06-27-2021, 03:12 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
I'm working on more updates to the Pennant Catalog. I came upon this Connie Mack Athletics pennant from an auction in 2019. The listing says that the top was restored. I'm assuming that means the spine and tassels were replaced.

I'm interested on thoughts on this one? Does anyone remember the auction in 2019?

https://paragonauctions.com/CIRCA_19...-LOT10045.aspx
Don't bother with it. The pennant is a common/obvious reproduction, and the Auction House is clueless. Someone got taken, and it's this kind of thing that really screws the hobby. Just LMK if you need an image of the real one.

Last edited by perezfan; 06-27-2021 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:22 PM
Ed L@m

Default pennant repair

I've tried repairing old felt and it is possible. This was my first attempt on an faded A's pennant with a bad tip. If I ever do it again I would take more time to match the color better as it came out a little bit too dark. I did it by needle felting wool fibers to reproduce the felt.

PS. !f I had an historically old/valuable pennant I wouldn't have touched it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (77.2 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg arepair.jpg (76.5 KB, 244 views)
Old 06-27-2021, 09:42 PM
Drew

The Athletics repair job is well done - slight color difference but I'm not sure I would have really noticed without the call out.

Addressing a few of the earlier comments... The Fighting Irish pennant does have a Green Mountain Studios tag (can faintly see it in in pic below middle tassels).

For reference, the unnegotiated quote that I received to repair it was $600, which includes stitching to a mat (defrays some costs of overall framing). The guy is a textile restoration expert who predominantly does work for museums.

I don't necessarily see how having a pennant professionally restored would devalue it, as a key part of professional restoration is having the ability to remove what was added on, but definitely agree it's a cost vs. benefit exercise. The ideas of playing around with the underlying background are good and seem like the best option for my particular situation - it does have some "character" in its current state.
Old 06-28-2021, 05:55 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darner View Post
I've tried repairing old felt and it is possible. This was my first attempt on an faded A's pennant with a bad tip. If I ever do it again I would take more time to match the color better as it came out a little bit too dark. I did it by needle felting wool fibers to reproduce the felt.

That’s fantastic, Ed! Could you explain what you mean by “needle felting wool fibers”?
Old 06-28-2021, 08:34 AM
Rob

Quote:

That's pretty impressive and I probably wouldn't have noticed a color difference if you hadn't mentioned. Did you start with a wad of loose felt fibers or did you have a patch of felt that you were able to needle to the pennant and then trim with scissors? That pennant looks like it regenerated its own tip the way a lizard would its tail.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:28 PM
Ed L@m

Default needle felting

In needle felting you start with a wad of fibers, usually wool but there are plenty of synthetics if you want that. They sell dyed wool in a wide variety of colors so you can blend them together to make any color you need. Then you use a felting needle to repeatedly stab through the fibers. The needle has barbs which pushes the fibers through the other fibers and you keep stabbing until they are weaved together. With enough work you get a solid form. A lot of people needle felt sculptures like animals, dolls, pretty much anything. I learned about needle felting from my wife who teaches art to kids.

To patch a pennant, you can weave into an existing piece of felt pushing the new fibers into the old. Do it enough, you’ll build up a new piece of wool felt. It’ll be fuzzier than the original but you can use an iron to get it flat to match the original felt. To finish, trim to match the edge of the pennant.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:07 PM
Rob

Quote:
In needle felting you start with a wad of fibers, usually wool but there are plenty of synthetics if you want that. They sell dyed wool in a wide variety of colors so you can blend them together to make any color you need. Then you use a felting needle to repeatedly stab through the fibers. The needle has barbs which pushes the fibers through the other fibers and you keep stabbing until they are weaved together. With enough work you get a solid form. A lot of people needle felt sculptures like animals, dolls, pretty much anything. I learned about needle felting from my wife who teaches art to kids.

To patch a pennant, you can weave into an existing piece of felt pushing the new fibers into the old. Do it enough, you’ll build up a new piece of wool felt. It’ll be fuzzier than the original but you can use an iron to get it flat to match the original felt. To finish, trim to match the edge of the pennant.
I still can't really grasp the concept but I'm sure there's a youtube video if I ever want to give this a try!
Old 06-28-2021, 04:05 PM
Gary

I bought some felting needles a couple of months ago but haven't gotten around to using them yet.

I found this video that seemed to explain it well. https://youtu.be/2fdnQhma0-8
Old 06-28-2021, 04:34 PM
Rob

Quote:
I bought some felting needles a couple of months ago but haven't gotten around to using them yet.

I found this video that seemed to explain it well. https://youtu.be/2fdnQhma0-8
The comments provide another tip.....to remove the musty smell, spray with vodka!
Old 06-28-2021, 06:57 PM
Mike

So I purchased this awhile back from an estate sale in Texas (online) it was part of a "lot" that had an 84' Cubs division champs pennant, which is the only reason I bought them lol

anywho, I was trying to research and came across this article:

https://theundefeated.com/features/w...-was-at-stake/

any thoughts on if this pennant may be that old and/or referencing that particular game? thanks....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg estate sale in texas.jpg (20.0 KB, 229 views)
Old 06-28-2021, 11:48 PM

Mike:

I knew nothing about that game or backstory. Thanks for sharing your pennant and supporting article.

It sure seems to be a legit pennant made for sale at this historic "Soul Bowl" game. The pennant's by WGN; and, they used this same artwork + letter font to commemorate Super Bowl pennants made during the late 1960s and early 1970s. Special event pennants were kind of their jam. Since an estimated 60,000 fans packed Yankee Stadium to watch this game, I have little doubt the company viewed a game of this caliber as being pennant-worthy.

In fact, there's a 1968 Super Bowl II dueling pennant by WGN showcasing the Packers vs. Raiders matchup from that year's game. It had to have been made a few weeks away from this game. It looks quite similar to yours; same artwork; same letter script, except it reads, "Super Bowl" rather than "Soul Bowl." See: https://pennantfever.weebly.com/blog...ry/wgn-flag-co

Again, thanks for the history lesson. This is why I love pennants!
Old 06-29-2021, 11:04 AM
Mike

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your pennant and supporting article.
No no no no.......thank YOU, that was a really cool read and extremely helpful. I believe I may want to invest in my first pennant protector!
Old 06-29-2021, 12:38 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:

Well here's a rare historical pennant that just sold for 1/10th of its "would be" value in EX condition. Even with all of its faults, the graphics appear completely undisturbed...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14408520244...p2047675.l2557

Whoever won this one might consider paying you a handsome sum to perform your "felting needle magic". Can't imagine a better candidate, if the right color burgundy wool could be obtained. I am normally against restoration, but this one could really benefit from the "felting" procedure.

Great job on the A's Pennant, BTW!
Old 06-29-2021, 02:24 PM
Mike Kendall

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Well here's a rare historical pennant that just sold for 1/10th of its "would be" value in EX condition. Even with all of its faults, the graphics appear completely undisturbed...

Whoever won this one might consider paying you a handsome sum to perform your "felting needle magic". Can't imagine a better candidate, if the right color burgundy wool could be obtained. I am normally against restoration, but this one could really benefit from the "felting" procedure.

Despite the graphics being in good shape, I was a little surprised at price this pennant received. Granted it’s rare, but that’s a lot of damage. If restored and then sold again, even though I collect Cubs pennants, I would not be interested. Curious how others feel.
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 06-29-2021, 03:29 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Despite the graphics being in good shape, I was a little surprised at price this pennant received. Granted it’s rare, but that’s a lot of damage. If restored and then sold again, even though I collect Cubs pennants, I would not be interested. Curious how others feel.
I would've paid that. I think it's still a stunning pennant and will look great framed. Probably would've gone for what...4-5K if not moth eaten?
Old 06-29-2021, 04:13 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post

I, for one, am seeing possibilities with the "felting" procedure.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:53 AM
Stephen

Quote:
I, for one, am seeing possibilities with the "felting" procedure.
I just mastered the art of "bleaching" a pennant to get stains out now I have to take up sewing, lol
Old 07-01-2021, 05:34 PM
The Uber Anal Retentive Freak

Just picked up this rare old minor league pennant, of the Class D Mathewson (Saskatchewan) Armadillos ….

EDIT: Bad, bad joke …
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2A9B1224-2466-4957-8E6F-70C0A13122F7.jpg (19.7 KB, 144 views)

Last edited by thetahat; 07-02-2021 at 09:29 AM.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:56 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
Just picked up this rare old minor league pennant, of the Class D Mathewson (Saskatchewan) Armadillos ….
Very cool!
Old 07-01-2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Are you certain?

Any chance it's a nod to Christy Mathewson, the pitcher? Looks to be from the 1910s, when he was among the NL's best pitchers.

Can we get a close-up of the artwork?
Old 07-02-2021, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Are you certain?

Any chance it's a nod to Christy Mathewson, the pitcher? Looks to be from the 1910s, when he was among the NL's best pitchers.

Can we get a close-up of the artwork?
Ah, I’m sorry that was me trying to be funny. It’s Christy. I don’t even know if there is a town called Mathewson. I will post the graphic shortly, it’s definitely him …. Just interesting how it looks so much like a team pennant.

Last edited by thetahat; 07-02-2021 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-02-2021, 07:53 AM

It’s him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F8FE0E42-D606-4517-929C-DAC11878F987.jpg (12.4 KB, 127 views)
Old 07-02-2021, 08:59 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Wow! Ever seen that one before?
Old 07-02-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankphenom View Post
Wow! Ever seen that one before?
Nope … similar graphic on a 1910’s Giants pennant however.
Old 07-02-2021, 10:43 AM
Rob

Quote:
Very cool!
You fooled me, although I wondered how many armadillos there were in Saskatchewan. In this case very, very, very cool!
Old 07-02-2021, 11:34 AM
Mike Kendall

Quote:

Thanks for sharing this fabulous find. Lone survivor perhaps?
Baseball's appeal isn't complicated or confusing. It's about the beauty of the game; it's about heroes and family and friends; it's about being part of something larger than yourself, about tradition---receiving it and passing it; and it's about holding on to a bit of your childhood.

Tom Stanton from The Road to Cooperstown
Old 07-02-2021, 02:49 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

Quote:

Damn! You just beat me picking up that Matty. It was there, i quickly read the info and clicked the “buy”… GONE!! Must have beat me by seconds.

Congrats!
Old 07-02-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK View Post
Thanks for sharing this fabulous find. Lone survivor perhaps?
Possibly, I haven’t seen it before.
Old 07-02-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporteq View Post
Damn! You just beat me picking up that Matty. It was there, i quickly read the info and clicked the “buy”… GONE!! Must have beat me by seconds.

Congrats!
Thank you. I had a deal worked out with the seller, and was waiting to pounce on it.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:17 PM

Greg, I thought I told you: never joke about 100+ year old pennants!

Okay, you got me ... thought maybe you missed the connection; and, I was gonna totally make your day.

Cool pennant. Seems to be manufactured by the same mystery maker as this ca. 1916 Brooklyn Robins (Dodgers) pennant. Artwork is very similar, down to the charcoal shading used on the uniforms; and the coloring of the shadows between the players' legs.

Which means the Dodgers and Giants, in this mystery artist's view, wore identical unis back then....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image (48).jpg (12.8 KB, 119 views)
Old 07-03-2021, 03:25 PM
ΛLβΞℜ₮

Quote:
Thank you. I had a deal worked out with the seller, and was waiting to pounce on it.
Hello, you had a deal with the seller makes me feel better. That means
I probably had ZERO chance. Enjoy that awesome relic

Albert
Old 07-03-2021, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Greg, I thought I told you: never joke about 100+ year old pennants!

Okay, you got me ... thought maybe you missed the connection; and, I was gonna totally make your day.

Cool pennant. Seems to be manufactured by the same mystery maker as this ca. 1916 Brooklyn Robins (Dodgers) pennant. Artwork is very similar, down to the charcoal shading used on the uniforms; and the coloring of the shadows between the players' legs.

Which means the Dodgers and Giants, in this mystery artist's view, wore identical unis back then....
Yep that’s a good observation. This has me wondering, are there any other player-dedicated pennants this old?