NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 02-23-2019, 08:56 AM

Default Does anybody enjoy the...

Professionally done "Cards that Never Were".

Its like collecting a Topps traded set for those particular years.

Your thoughts.
Old 02-23-2019, 11:37 AM

I will sometimes pick up the ones on Ebay - "ACEO" art cards on Ebay if I like them.

They do some cool League Leader stuff that wasn't put out by Topps.

They have flooded the market now though.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:15 PM
je.sse @rnot

They're interesting to think about, but I wouldn't buy them or compare them to topps traded cards.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:48 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I will pass.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 02-23-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:56 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Depends on the subject and price. I collect all sorts of 'Broders' especially from the 1970s, so I have a soft spot for unlicensed cards, especially if they are well done or depict someone not otherwise available. I do not expect them to go up in value, though. Look at the TCMA, SSPC, Galasso, Fritsch, Parker, Broder, Rowe, etc. issues from the 1970s. Some of them are approaching 50 years old and are pretty tough to find yet they are nearly all sub-$10 cards. I think it is insane what some of these modern 'Broder' cards are bringing on eBay. I watched a new Helmar card, which was really nicely done, sell for over $60, when a 100 year old card of the same boxer in nice condition could be had for less.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-24-2019 at 09:57 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:49 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

I hate them all, just like I hate all unlicensed cards.
Old 02-24-2019, 06:03 PM
Curt

Quality is the key. Those Helmars are really nice, but many sellers are offering cheap color copies on paper not much thicker than letterhead!

Once a seller gets a taste of good money for junk, they won't stop churning out different images of the same player, so beware if you feel you need to have every one that hits the market
Old 02-24-2019, 07:16 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

If they're photos new to me and the card stock and size is up to standard, I get 'em.

I picked up a '34 Goudey Ruth and a Wilson's Wieners Mantle from Steve Mitchell on the 'bay this past week...paid too much, but they're purdy.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 02-25-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:20 PM

Default Here are a few of the better 'art cards' I've purchased:

Casey Stengel Brooklyn Robins Art Card.jpg1930 R319 Whitlow Wyatt art card.jpg

1965 Topps WARREN SPAHN - Bob Lemke Custom Card.jpgStrauss-Joe ARS LONGA ART CARD.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 02-25-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
if they're photos new to me and the card stock and size is up to standard, i get 'em.

I picked up a '34 goudey ruth and a wilson's wieners mantle from steve mitchell on the 'bay this past week...paid too much, but they're purdy.

1934 Goudey- BABE RUTH card that never was.jpg1954 Wilson Wieners- MICKEY MANTLE card that never was.jpg

Old 02-25-2019, 08:00 AM
J0hn Collin$

I like cards like this and think they are a really great alternative to just buying a reprint of an actual card that I know I'll never be able to afford. With reprints the first thing I think of in looking at them is that I know they are reprints, but not with these "cards that never were." I particularly like the Topps Archives series. I have a set of them from the year they first came out, but never followed-up, I may need to look at getting back into this as a cheaper alternative to real vintage cards LOL.

I will say it's odd I think when they do a design that is not in line with the "era" of the player. For example in the first Topps Archives set, they did Willie Mays on a '55 Topps card, but the pic was clearly older and he had a SF Giants cap on. My mind immediately went to "well, that's not right..."
Old 02-25-2019, 08:01 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
The Mantle "Wilson Franks" card is very cool. Could I ask where that came from?

-John
Old 02-25-2019, 09:03 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Quality is the key. Those Helmars are really nice, but many sellers are offering cheap color copies on paper not much thicker than letterhead!

Once a seller gets a taste of good money for junk, they won't stop churning out different images of the same player, so beware if you feel you need to have every one that hits the market
How do you know if they are "real" Helmars - does only a particular seller offer them? I've seen these before and they've always looked interesting, but I've never bought one. Since I decided recently that real prewar is generally out of my price range, I was wondering if a Helmar here and there might be an affordable alternative to still get a nice piece of certain players who might otherwise be out of reach. Would be curious to hear from anyone who actually has some of these. Do you enjoy them? Do they smack of being "fake" or some type of later day reproduction? I think I might could get behind something actually with the knowledge that it was hand crafted with some thought behind what it was, and not just a cheap reprint.

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-25-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
The Mantle "Wilson Franks" card is very cool. Could I ask where that came from?

-John

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MICKEY-MANT...16e2%7Ciid%3A1

Old 02-25-2019, 06:39 PM
Curt

I just realized that it was Banty Red that I bought, not Helmar, but the quality of the cards appears to be and is described similarly. Now as to who makes and distributes them, I want to say it is a single seller for each, but I am not sure. I know both have cards that sell very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
How do you know if they are "real" Helmars - does only a particular seller offer them? I've seen these before and they've always looked interesting, but I've never bought one. Since I decided recently that real prewar is generally out of my price range, I was wondering if a Helmar here and there might be an affordable alternative to still get a nice piece of certain players who might otherwise be out of reach. Would be curious to hear from anyone who actually has some of these. Do you enjoy them? Do they smack of being "fake" or some type of later day reproduction? I think I might could get behind something actually with the knowledge that it was hand crafted with some thought behind what it was, and not just a cheap reprint.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:56 PM

Default Bob Lemke's "Cards That Never Were"

I have the remaining inventory of Bob Lemke's incredible "Cards That Never Were," and am selling them on behalf of his widow, with all proceeds going to her. I suspect many of the people on this forum are familiar with Bob's work. I have a pretty good listing at my website at: oconnellandsonink.com.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:01 PM
Chris Counts

I'd never pay for one, but I've had fun making a few in Photoshop. Here's an example:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40pb_paige.jpg (35.6 KB, 546 views)
Old 02-26-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyvintage62 View Post
Professionally done "Cards that Never Were".

Its like collecting a Topps traded set for those particular years.

Your thoughts.
There are cards with the 1965-1969 designs that are better quality that some of the uninspired dreck that Topps printed.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:36 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. OConnell View Post
I have the remaining inventory of Bob Lemke's incredible "Cards That Never Were," and am selling them on behalf of his widow, with all proceeds going to her. I suspect many of the people on this forum are familiar with Bob's work. I have a pretty good listing at my website at: oconnellandsonink.com.
Very cool. I will have to check this out - I have wondered from time to time what happened to those cards.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:40 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Thanks!
Old 02-26-2019, 12:45 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
And I just realized - this seller has what appears to be nicer stock cards with real backs in comparison to the cheaper - likely photocopy - version I bought without waiting for your answer yesterday. Very cool thanks again for the link!

Last edited by jchcollins; 02-26-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:49 PM
Albert Bee

Default never

that 34 G Ruth is painful to look at such an old looking Babe

Like looking at a 60 or 61 F player
Old 12-10-2019, 08:59 AM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Hello! New to these forums. I like some of the art cards, obviously. I find almost everything people collect interesting. The motivations behind human beings collecting anything at all is a study in itself!
Old 12-10-2019, 11:42 AM

Yes, I do.

For example, "valiantmann" on eBay produced a smashing version of a 1962 Topps Mickey Mantle. I have hated the 1962 Topps regular Mantle from day 1.
Valiantmann came to my rescue, so to speak. He tastefully selected a perfect photo of Mickey that traces to about 1960. He then gave it a unique horizontal design, with the correct dark wood frame that Topps used in their third series cards. The 18-point cardboard stock is superb, and in a Pro-Mold 1-screw it is perfect! I've placed it with my period Mantles, and I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT!

I acknowledge it is not worth diddly squat, but our hobby is about what makes us happy and content. This elegant 1962 Topps Mickey Mantle card that never was is 100 times better than the actual one. Were Topps to design only one card horizontally, they would probably have chosen someone special.... like Mr. Mantle.

I'm happy........Brian Powell
Old 12-11-2019, 10:32 AM
Phil Apostle
Ph,il Ap0stle

Hi Brian. Can you post a pic of the Mantle? If it's here, I'm missing it. I love '62s...the photos are not the best, as you mentioned.
Phil
Old 12-11-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil68 View Post
Hi Brian. Can you post a pic of the Mantle? If it's here, I'm missing it. I love '62s...the photos are not the best, as you mentioned.
Phil
As embarassing as it sounds, I honestly do not know how to post a picture. However, I found it on eBay, and here's the listing title:

"1962 Style Mickey Mantle New York Yankees HOF Novelty Custom Art Card"

Valiantmann charges $7.99 for the card, plus $3.89 shipping. While the shipping charge is excessive, the card much, much, much more than makes up for the entire cost to you. If you're adroit at posting photos, would you please kindly do the honors in posting his listing photo for us, to reinforce what I've been expressing about this fantasy card?

He simply uses the backside of the regular Topps card for his own creation. Stunning, and I must say essentially perfect.

Have a peaceful day, friend, and happy collecting! -- Brian Powell
Old 12-11-2019, 11:31 AM

[QUOTE=ALBB;1858419]that 34 G Ruth is painful to look at such an old looking Babe

You can say that again, brother! I know 1934 was Babe's swan song with the Yanks, but in 33 Goudey made double dog sure to make the mighty Bambino look super good!!! --- Brian Powell
Old 12-11-2019, 11:39 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post
As embarassing as it sounds, I honestly do not know how to post a picture. However, I found it on eBay, and here's the listing title:

Valiantmann charges $7.99 for the card, plus $3.89 shipping. While the shipping charge is excessive, the card much, much, much more than makes up for the entire cost to you. If you're adroit at posting photos, would you please kindly do the honors in posting his listing photo for us, to reinforce what I've been expressing about this fantasy card?

He simply uses the backside of the regular Topps card for his own creation. Stunning, and I must say essentially perfect.

Here is a picture of both versions listed. I am also a big fan of custom cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantle2.jpg (20.0 KB, 401 views)
File Type: jpg mantle1.jpg (20.0 KB, 400 views)
Old 12-11-2019, 01:59 PM
Albert Bee

Default never were

Eeh... cool to look at..would never buy one,or add to a set to say " there !, I have the 52T Musial "
Old 12-11-2019, 08:23 PM
Curt

I doesn't get much easier than this site. Click on the paperclip when you are drafting a message and it opens an image manager. You browse for the pic you want and attach it. Voila!

Quote:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 7.21.28 PM.jpg (16.1 KB, 358 views)
File Type: png Screen Shot 2019-12-11 at 7.21.13 PM.png (3.4 KB, 349 views)
Old 12-11-2019, 08:36 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I really like some of the customs, though they do have to have certain attributes for me:
  • The photo needs to be from the sam time period as the card
  • The cardstock needs to be of type
  • The back of the card needs to be similar to cards of that series

You have to admit, some of the photo choices of Topps, and even some of the prewar cards, is quite poor. If someone can do a better job and produce a better card, then more power to them.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)
Old 12-11-2019, 10:46 PM
Jeff

I buy a few now and again to use for autographs.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 12-13-2019, 10:02 AM
David M.

Have you ever gotten a surprised reaction from one of the stars signing an autograph on a card they've never seen?
Old 12-13-2019, 12:30 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasHouseGang View Post
Have you ever gotten a surprised reaction from one of the stars signing an autograph on a card they've never seen?
Yes I have.

I had the SGA card from when Tony Oliva was put in the Twins HOF. I had him sign it a few years ago. When he seen it he got a big smile and asked me where I got it. I told him I was there for the event. His smile got even bigger. A great man he is, he is the only person I have ever stood in line to get a autograph from.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:02 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
The photo needs to be from the same time period as the card
Topps didn't always stick to that rule.

Extreme example: the 1969 Chris Cannizzaro, which uses a photo taken at the Polo Grounds, which meant at the time the card was issued the image was at least six years old.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:00 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Here is a picture of both versions listed. I am also a big fan of custom cards.
A long overdue thanks to Ben North for coming to my rescue in posting scans of the fantasy 1962 Topps Mickey Mantle I spoke so highly of.

The specific photo I was referring to is the scan on the right side of the screen. It's a special image to me, personally. You see, when the awful day came in August 1995 that Mickey died and went to be with the Lord, the USAToday chose this same image to bring the news of his death. I still remember seeing the picture, and thinking to myself, boy, would that shot have made a nice baseball card of Mickey. I even bought the issue just to get that picture! As I had written before, I believe the caption with the photo stated it was taken in the summer of 1960, when Mickey was very healthy and still looked young. This image would have been most apropos for a 1962 Topps baseball card of The Mighty Mick, in a distinctive horizontal format.

If you've patiently read my recollection, thanks for bearing with me.

To be sure, fantasy cards mean something to me. In conjunction with my book, NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN, and with the help of an artist and a computer graphic artist, I lovingly made two versions each of fantasy 1954 Wilson Franks Mickey Mantle and Jackie Robinson cards. That was a lot of fun, though expensive! A quartet of breathtaking dream come trues, though! Having a pretty good imagination, as well as knowledge of regional-collecting as it was, I play it out in my mind as a 10-year-old successfully begging his dear Mom to buy a pair of Wilson Franks packs, though the family brand was Oscar Meyer. Later that evening, I assisted her in the preparation of the franks, for the first time in my life! Opening the packages, the first "free prize" was Jackie Robinson. Jack looked terrific, as he's shown stealing home in a marvelous horizontal pose. The actual photo I chose to do the card was the moment Jack actually stole home against the Cubs in '52. Cub pitcher Willard Ramsdell nearly blew a fuse at his catcher when he missed Jackie by a whisker! With a nice light blue background, the card is perfect to me. Then, the second card. With apprehension, but tingling excitement, I slowly find the second "free prize". Wow---Mickey Mantle!!! I've always liked purple, even as a little kid. I found this evocative shade of red-violet that matched some I'd seen in mid 50s advertising. Fifteen years prior, I had sourced a profoundly beautiful action shot of Mickey about to slug the ball during a Yanks' home game. The time period of the game was close enough to work for a '54 Wilson Franks, since Mantle looked very young, and he was still batting with his regular cloth baseball cap on. You can see the dirt spray up on Mick's lead foot as he's about to swing. The wonderful NY on his uniform stands out beautifully. The complete package is ..... perfect! All in all, to get Jackie Robinson and Mickey Mantle Wilson Franks cards in a matter of minutes would put this baseball card-lovin' kid on a Cardboard Cloud 9, as I described it in my book, for a couple of weeks!

Though I could not market the cards legally, I went through the laborious process of having a few made for me, period. It was a great experience and very fulfilling, and made for an appropriate last chapter of my book, as I concentrated on Wilson Franks and focused on Jackie Robinson, particularly his 1947-49 Bond Bread cards. Oh yes, at the end of that chapter, you will find a a beautiful color page with all four of the fantasy Wilsons I made, arranged around a large color photo of the Wilson Franks package, just as it appears on their great cards.

Have a swell day, guys, as well as the ladies who frequent Net54.

--- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 12-21-2019 at 05:51 PM. Reason: to elaborate my thought processes and imagination of the experience of crafting fantasy cards
Old 12-17-2019, 12:28 PM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

I'm not a big fan of them personally but I understand why others would enjoy them. Only because to me, a card represents a period in time. I look at it as a historical piece and not just an art piece. I imagine someone pulling it from a pack at the time and what was happening in baseball in the world. Kind of a mini timecapsule. That gets lost for me in reprints and cards that never were.
Old 12-20-2019, 08:07 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Panini just filed a big copyright infringement case against some of the makers and sellers who used the Donruss "Rated Rookie" and other design elements.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-22-2019, 08:59 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
I'm not a big fan of them personally but I understand why others would enjoy them. Only because to me, a card represents a period in time. I look at it as a historical piece and not just an art piece.
Exactly. It's an actual genuine real artifact from a time when someone who's now a household name was still an unknown, unproven player... someone you could approach for an autograph and not only would he be thrilled to give you one, but if he wasn't pressed for time he'd be happy to spend a few minutes with you to talk baseball or otherwise just hang and talk about whatever.

Quote:
That gets lost for me in reprints
Not for me... although I agree that it's not the same as holding the real thing.

Quote:
That gets lost for me in . . . cards that never were.
True. I'm thinking of the "1952" Joe DiMaggio card that Topps made a while back. Even if Topps made an official statement to the effect of 'this is the card we would have made, if we had issued a DiMaggio card that year,' it's not the same because the photo and the writeup were done with x-number of years of hindsight of how big a legend he became.

Perhaps if Topps had intended to produce a DiMaggio card in '52, and such a card had made it all the way to the proof stage before Topps decided to pull the plug, and those proofs were reprinted and sold for the first time in the '80s or later, that would be a different thing... but in general, I agree with you.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:10 PM

I am well aware 95% (give or take a few) of all collectors loathe reprints and fantasy cards. It's as if they feel it's their sworn duty to abhor them, turn their face away from them, and never waste so much as a dollar on them.

As one who has always had an appreciation for reprints, ever since responding to an ad Mike Aronstein placed in THE SPORTING NEWS in 1972 for a complete set of 1933 DeLong baseball cards for the "princely sum" of around $5, plus a fair s&h fee, I was delighted when I got his small package in the mail. The 24 cards were magnificent in color and reproduction, printed on a quality thin cardboard stock, in time I discovered Mike's cardstock was a strong improvement over the original. The cards' gloss was a telltale sign they were simply reprints. I don't remember if Mike printed a disclaimer on the backsides, but I was at the huge Midwest Convention in July 1972, and nobody squawked about their quality. I was really into the 30s at the time, and as a widow's son, could never afford a genuine card. In reality, I had never heard of DeLongs until the previous year, when I had read Lionel Carter's feature of the set in THE SPORT HOBBYIST.

Please understand. I fully agree with you that reprints or fantasies are not the same, in the hand, as the real McCoy. It's not a historical relic. They will not increase in value, for the most part.

On the other hand, they most assuredly are an art piece that very much represents the point in time of the original. I shan't waste time explaining why I love the Card Collectors Company reprint of the 1960 Home Run Derby cards, but I declare they are so close to the originals, and are marked as such to prevent almost any idiot from purchasing them as originals.

I have an even softer spot for fantasy cards. There are all sorts of reasons why players were not selected for inclusion in a favorite set of ours, or a set that never was but in our minds "should have been done". Purchasing some of these fantasy cards has given me some genuine hobby joy. Creating and producing a few fantasy cards for my own enjoyment has been fulfilling. I mean--- very nice representations of 1954 Wilson Franks Mickey Mantle and Jackie Robinson. I love them and place them with original period baseball cards I have. The late Bob Lemke produced a few fantasies that I treasure. I suppose they might appreciate in value, but I appreciate them too much to sell them. I simply bought them from Bob because I liked his work---1955 Topps All-Americans of Broncho Nagurski and Jackie Robinson, his Red Man Chewing Tobacco Mantle, his 1963 JELL-O box with a variant photo of Mickey Mantle. I must emphasize--- when the creator selects photos with good taste, and are appropriate for the given fantasy card, it makes for a commendable work of art. I love some of them; they look terrific. I get a kick out of them for what they are, not for what they are not---the real thing.

You must also understand I have a decent remnant collection of "the real thing". I most assuredly have some nice pieces in my collection. I could do the top ten against your top ten thing, and perhaps send you away with your tail draggin' the ground, or me becoming maroon-faced with embarrassment, but that wouldn't really prove anything, would it? Some of you guys "get it" that some of us like a good reprint or fantasy. I thank you for at least trying to understand.

Back in the day when reprints were first introduced to the hobby, several big names were outraged and very vocal about their feelings. I never recalled reading why they were so vehement about reprints. Perhaps those collectors who'd worked so hard, and/or spent so much to build up their collections felt very threatened by the reprints. Perhaps they were worried an abundance of reprints in the hands of collectors would cheapen their holdings, causing their collections not to vault in value the way they demanded they do. Or, maybe it was simply they liked the idea of having great cards few others could possibly own, and enjoyed bragging about them and lording over their fellow collectors who were severely challenged to acquire anything worth a havin'. For many years I was on the outside looking in, and I know how excluded it felt.

I'm honestly not trying to convince you to collect reprints or fantasy cards. I felt I must articulate some of my feelings about them, and to say they're not just worthless junk. To you, they are. That's fine. My mature and refined imagination find some, repeat some, of them endearing.(Insert a smiling wink and roll of the eyes--HA!)

I sincerely wish all of you happy collecting, whatever that may be. I know it's not postwar regional / food issues, 'cause only 35 of you bought my book, with a few dozen more purchasing the Amazon digital version.

--- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 12-29-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-23-2019, 12:38 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I am well aware 95% (give or take a few) of all collectors loathe reprints and fantasy cards. It's as if they feel it's their sworn duty to abhor them, turn their face away from them, and never waste so much as a dollar on them.

As one who has always had an appreciation for them, ever since responding to an ad Mike Aronstein placed in THE SPORTING NEWS in 1972 for a complete set of 1933 DeLong baseball cards for the "princely sum" of around $5, plus a fair s&h fee, I was delighted when I got his small package in the mail. The 24 cards were magnificent in color and reproduction, printed on a quality thin cardboard stock that resembled the original. The gloss on the cards was a telltale sign they were simply reprints. I don't even remember if Mike printed a disclaimer on their backsides. I was really into the 30s at the time, and as a widow's son, could never afford a genuine card. In reality, I had never heard of DeLongs until the previous year, when I had read Lionel Carter's feature of the set in THE SPORT HOBBYIST.

Please understand. I fully agree with you that reprints or fantasies are not the same, in the hand, as the real McCoy. It's not a historical relic. They will not appreciate in value, for the most part.

On the other hand, they most assuredly are an art piece that very much represents the point in time of an original. The photos used are often selected in good taste, and would be appropriate for the given fantasy card. I'm not going to waste time explaining why I love the reprint set Card Collectors Company did of the 1960 Home Run Derby cards, but I declare they are so close to the originals, and are marked as such to prevent almost any idiot from purchasing them as originals.

I have an even softer spot for fantasy cards. There are all sorts of reasons why players were not selected for inclusion in a favorite set of ours, or a set that never was that in our minds "should have been done". Purchasing some of these fantasy cards has given me some genuine hobby joy. Creating and producing a few fantasy cards for my own enjoyment has been fulfilling. I mean--- very nice representations of 1954 Wilson Franks Mickey Mantle and Jackie Robinson. I love them and place them with original period baseball cards I have. The late Bob Lemke produced a few fantasies that I treasure. I suppose they might appreciate in value, but I appreciate them too much to sell them. I simply bought them from Bob because I liked his work---1955 Topps All-Americans of Broncho Nagurski and Jackie Robinson, his Red Man Chewing Tobacco Mantle, his 1963 JELL-O box with a variant photo of Mickey Mantle. I love them all; they look terrific. I get a kick out of them for what they are, and not for what they are not---the real thing.

You must also understand I have a decent remnant collection of "the real thing". I most assuredly have some nice pieces in my collection. I could do the top ten against your top ten thing, and perhaps send you away with your tail draggin' the ground, or me becoming maroon-faced with embarrassment, but that wouldn't really prove anything, would it? Some of you guys "get it" that some of us like a good reprint or fantasy. I thank you for at least trying to understand.

Back in the day when reprints were first introduced to the hobby, several big names were outraged and very vocal about their feelings. I never recalled reading why they were so vehement about reprints. Perhaps those collectors who'd worked so hard, and/or spent so much to build up their collections felt very threatened by the reprints. Perhaps they were worried that an abundance of reprints in the hands of collectors would cheapen their holdings, causing their collections not to vault in value the way they demanded that they do. Or, maybe it was as simple as they liked the idea of having great cards few others could possibly own, and enjoyed bragging about them and lording over their fellow collectors who were severely challenged to acquire anything worth a havin'. For many years I was on the outside looking in, and I know how excluded it felt.

I'm honestly not trying to convince you to collect reprints or fantasy cards. I suppose I felt I must articulate some of my feelings about them, and to say they're not just worthless junk. To you, they are. That's fine. My mature and refined imagination find some, repeat some, of them endearing.

I sincerely wish all of you happy collecting, whatever that may be. I know it's not postwar regionals, 'cause only 35 of you bought my book, with a few dozen more purchasing the Amazon digital version.

--- Brian Powell
Great post Brian.

I don't collect postwar regionals but am one of those 35 because I love learning about the hobby. It's a great "book" that I highly recommend purchasing.

Mr Lemke was a great man. Unlike most custom card makers was kind enough to help me when I started making custom cards for my collection.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:31 PM

Many thanks for your kind comments about NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN, Ben. I'm not ashamed to say I got misty-eyed after reading them.

I could not agree more with what you say about our sorely missed Mr. Bob Lemke. He had so much fun creating new cards of old with his many fantasies, as well as research and hobby history galore. So glad you were able to get some help from him. I wanted to have thanked him for uncovering that little tidbit from THE SPORTING NEWS proving the 1962 JELL-O baseball cards were indeed regionally-issued, first in the Chicagoland area where I saw them, and in Milwaukee, where the great collector-dealer Larry Fritsch got them, when he wasn't getting them in Chicago during his daily or weekly train rides whist working his job with the railroad. However, sad and angry as I am about it, I did not get to thank Bob for that research. However, my book had already gone to press a few months prior to the time that Bob reprinted the little piece he found in that spring 1962 issue of TSN, but I'm still thankful to him for the research. We have some guys on here that think a great deal of that '62 JELL-O baseball set, and I strongly agree with them. Don't have many of those delightful cards, but I'm pretty well passed the age of expensive collecting, anyway.

Merry Christmas to you and your family, Ben You're a gem to the hobby, brother.

--- Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 12-23-2019 at 01:44 PM.