NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-03-2019, 06:45 PM
Eric Bea.chley

They are saying that a couple cards went for over $100K. The alleged scammer, Eric Anthony Bitz, runs a company called BuyNiceCards or BNC out of Pennsylvania.

Here is a 13 second video that shows a typical BNC card and the untrimmed original as pulled from WorthPoint.

https://youtu.be/EJuO1SEucoY
Old 01-03-2019, 07:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Who the expletive pays 100K for a modern basketball card??

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:15 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The guy that couldn't afford a modern baseball card.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:30 PM

The modern sports hobby dwarfs pre-war by leaps and bounds. The overall view is much different as these cards really aren't, nor were meant to be collected long-term. I don't think it's a lesser form of collecting, just different.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
The highest confirmed sale on the card is less than 20k. So, the answer is probably no one. BNC had one for sale for 90k that didn't sell, so he has raised the price and now is trying to sell it for 175k.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:11 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Just repeating. They say there is a confirmed sale of $95K and 2 other private sales above that. Looking at the same card? There are probably hundreds of LeBron rookies.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Just repeating. They say there is a confirmed sale of $95K and 2 other private sales above that. Looking at the same card? There are probably hundreds of LeBron rookies.
Who says? There are no confirmed sales over 20k on the 03/04 Exquisite LeBron James RC /99. It would sell above that, but until one is actually sold, no one knows what the card actually sells for. Ask yourself, if there are 99 of these, why does the t206 Wagner with a lower population and higher value come up for auction every so often, but these are only sold "privately"?
Old 01-03-2019, 09:51 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Ok it wasn’t a /99 card as I went back and looked. Keep in mind that there are over 3,000 posts on this thread. The $95K was referring to a /23 card, possibly a Jordan. And the $100K sale was for the same and the cashiers check shown for $250K likely included more than 1 card. These are also cards sold by BNC after trims.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:37 PM
Matt

Is anyone really surprised that cards are being doctored in the myriad ways they can be— and that the work is sometimes done with a level of skill that gets it, "past the goalie," so to speak? Seems like a lot of Sturm und Drang over the obvious. Doctoring happens— and to cards of all grades, from the 2s to the 10s and everywhere in between. It's specious to think it is relegated solely to the realm of higher grades, since the spread to a seller from a 1 to a 3 on one card can be as worthwhile when it comes to doctoring as the spread from a 7 to 9 on another card.

End of the day, a collector should just be aware, get as much knowledge as possible of his desired collecting focus (as well as all the possible shenanigans that abound, from doctoring to the use of bogus sales to establish precedents), then purchase the pieces they'll enjoy.

It's also worth noting that not all collectors have the same attitudes toward all the forms of card doctoring; some may draw the line at trimming or recoloring, but have no issues with a pressed-out crease or a worked corner. Others might be cool with stain removal but would not want a card with a worked corner. In a way, though, it's all moot if one (and the graders) can't detect a trace of what was done to the card at some prior point in time.

Last edited by MattyC; 01-03-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 04:52 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Most of us probably know who to stay away from when it comes to vintage scammers. If you do not know don't trust anyone, only buy slabbed by major TPG. When I'm selling a raw vintage card I guarantee it will grade, ie is not alterted or trimmed ect. I do not guarantee a specif grade it will receive. I back it up 100% as authentic, unaltered or trimmed ect.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:56 AM
Mark Rios

I hope you deep pocket guys keep getting burned.
Love it.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:20 AM
Eric
Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marckus99 View Post
Love it.
This is a little harsh.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:39 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
Most of us probably know who to stay away from when it comes to vintage scammers. If you do not know don't trust anyone, only buy slabbed by major TPG. When I'm selling a raw vintage card I guarantee it will grade, ie is not alterted or trimmed ect. I do not guarantee a specif grade it will receive. I back it up 100% as authentic, unaltered or trimmed ect.
The whole point is buying slabbed from major TPG is not necessarily a guaranty that a card has not been altered.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:41 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Is anyone really surprised that cards are being doctored in the myriad ways they can be— and that the work is sometimes done with a level of skill that gets it, "past the goalie," so to speak? Seems like a lot of Sturm und Drang over the obvious. Doctoring happens— and to cards of all grades, from the 2s to the 10s and everywhere in between. It's specious to think it is relegated solely to the realm of higher grades, since the spread to a seller from a 1 to a 3 on one card can be as worthwhile when it comes to doctoring as the spread from a 7 to 9 on another card.

End of the day, a collector should just be aware, get as much knowledge as possible of his desired collecting focus (as well as all the possible shenanigans that abound, from doctoring to the use of bogus sales to establish precedents), then purchase the pieces they'll enjoy.

It's also worth noting that not all collectors have the same attitudes toward all the forms of card doctoring; some may draw the line at trimming or recoloring, but have no issues with a pressed-out crease or a worked corner. Others might be cool with stain removal but would not want a card with a worked corner. In a way, though, it's all moot if one (and the graders) can't detect a trace of what was done to the card at some prior point in time.
It's not that the graders "can't" detect alteration, in many cases. It's that they don't, whether due to insufficient knowledge or inadequate resources/time.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
It's not that the graders "can't" detect alteration, in many cases. It's that they don't, whether due to insufficient knowledge or inadequate resources/time.
This is what I am wondering. On a 50+ year old card, is it easier to detect a new cut vs an old one? Someone made a claim that BGS could tell the difference between a Star card cut in the 80s and one reprinted and cut in the 90s. However now they can't tell the difference between one cut in 2004 and one cut ~10 years later, LeBron Exquisite.

You would think that if they get a grading order and all the cards are slightly short, but within their allowance, that a red light would go off.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:19 AM
Paul

Quote:
Love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowadoc77 View Post
This is a little harsh.
At least he's consistent!

Quote:
If you have $5k or $10k to waste on an autograph, glad you got burned!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206

Last edited by T206Collector; 01-04-2019 at 09:19 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:02 AM
Chase

Quote:
Matty made a great point though about cards of all grades being vulnerable to altering and it is not just with the higher graded material. However you too make a very valid point that not enough time, it would seem, is spent examining the cards. I think the volume of cards and pressure to get submissions completed to avoid further backlogs results in more mistakes.

I don't look at Beckett graded material much due to what I continually hear about them so not sure I would put their errors in the same category as those that might occur at SGC and PSA.

Seems like a lot out there collectors have to navigate even with 3rd party opinions. Almost discouraging to collect.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:04 AM
Al Richter

He ( Marckus99) has found a unique way to enjoy the hobby

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 01-04-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:25 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
However you too make a very valid point that not enough time, it would seem, is spent examining the cards. I think the volume of cards and pressure to get submissions completed to avoid further backlogs results in more mistakes.
And the time it takes to examine a card is just one factor that is unknown, with the identity of the people doing the grading, their qualifications for the job, any cross-checking by other graders, etc. are more unknowns. More transparency on the TPG's part in the grading process would be welcome in the hobby, but I don't expect it to happen at all.

That said, over the past 20+ years, the market has determined that three TPGs have earned enough trust by collectors who venture into graded items. We'll have to see over the coming months and years if the trimming and forgery revelations will erode much, if any, of that trust and if any TPGs will take the opportunity to address the issues and improve on their service. I'm sorry to say that I don't have high expectations here, either.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:11 PM
Jonathan Sterling

The cards we are talking about esp from Upper deck are on laser guided cutting machines that do not have 164th of an inch tolerance. for any Tpg to pass these cards is criminal. someone asked how centering and corners etc. could change from a 9 to a 9.5. THEY DID NOT the opinion changed and that is part of the process and I have no problem with it. But for them not to measure the card and hold them to the manufactured standard is completly on them.
Eventually a list of short cards in holders will be available. But lets be frank most people will not want their cards on that list.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:20 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Seems like a lot out there collectors have to navigate even with 3rd party opinions. Almost discouraging to collect.
Yep. All you can do, short of quitting (and I did once out of disgust for the whole card doctoring BS) is to navigate it the best you can realizing your success rate likely will not be 100 percent unless you're only buying beat up commons, or busting wax.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-04-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:33 PM
Al Richter

Busting wax has it's own risks as well
Old 01-04-2019, 02:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Busting wax has it's own risks as well
Vintage, yes.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:15 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Another scammer identified

https://www.psacard.com/articles/art...llectibles-com
Old 01-05-2019, 04:05 AM
Larry Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
Who says? There are no confirmed sales over 20k on the 03/04 Exquisite LeBron James RC /99. It would sell above that, but until one is actually sold, no one knows what the card actually sells for. Ask yourself, if there are 99 of these, why does the t206 Wagner with a lower population and higher value come up for auction every so often, but these are only sold "privately"?
Because basketball collectors don't want to pay a huge commission to auction houses?
And rich Asians lock their lebron and Jordan's away as collections, the Wagner is simply a commodity to be bought and sold.
I'm not joking, look at the Asian collectors on ig. Shoot, the card companies make special Asian releases now. The over seas market is insane.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:50 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
This links to an article from 2013 about "JTM Investment Group." Can you explain, I must not be following.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:18 AM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Altered "high grade" cards in holders is nothing new and I assume has been common knowledge. This has been mentioned (including by me here on this board) numerous times over the years. The head of once biggest sports memorabilia auction house even said how he would "prep your cards" for grading. A lot of high grade professionally graded cards should be graded AUTH. That's just a fact. How people want to deal with or approach that fact is another matter. Much of the approach is how one prices things. One approach would be to take the grades with due grain of salt, and price accordingly. If you want to pay an extra $50,000 for the same card because it's been "better prepped," that's a choice. Not a choice I would make, but a choice.

Last edited by drcy; 01-05-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:00 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
This links to an article from 2013 about "JTM Investment Group." Can you explain, I must not be following.
Jason Stern from thereandnowcollectibles has allegedly been linked to many of the alterations. The link was someone’s way of identifying the details.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:04 PM
Eric Bea.chley

But here is another interesting nugget posted today.

Apparently these Upper Deck cards are laser cut to incredible precision. For a TPG to consider 1/32 inch tolerances (allowing trimming 1/64 inch to each side) is ridiculous.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:02 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
Altered "high grade" cards in holders is nothing new and I assume has been common knowledge. This has been mentioned (including by me here on this board) numerous times over the years. The head of once biggest sports memorabilia auction house even said how he would "prep your cards" for grading. A lot of high grade professionally graded cards should be graded AUTH. That's just a fact. How people want to deal with or approach that fact is another matter. Much of the approach is how one prices things. One approach would be to take the grades with due grain of salt, and price accordingly. If you want to pay an extra $50,000 for the same card because it's been "better prepped," that's a choice. Not a choice I would make, but a choice.
Color me naive then because I certainly didn't know. I always assumed there might be some shenanigans sometimes with vintage/prewar cards/memorabilia but reading about all the modern cards being trimmed is certainly an eye opener.

I guess I gave the TPAs some grace with Vintage and maybe being a little more difficult to detect certain doctoring/trimming, etc, but I certainly didn't think they would be unable to detect modern cards that received the same types of alterations.

Your auction house comment sounds like these alterations are the norm and that everyone has been desensitized to that fact. What a shame!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PSA 7 Joe.jpg (78.5 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg PSA 7 Joe back.jpg (73.5 KB, 116 views)

Last edited by irv; 01-05-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:09 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
But here is another interesting nugget posted today.

Apparently these Upper Deck cards are laser cut to incredible precision. For a TPG to consider 1/32 inch tolerances (allowing trimming 1/64 inch to each side) is ridiculous.
It's confusing because in the same thread guys keep saying they pull short cards from packs.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslarry View Post
Because basketball collectors don't want to pay a huge commission to auction houses?
And rich Asians lock their lebron and Jordan's away as collections, the Wagner is simply a commodity to be bought and sold.
I'm not joking, look at the Asian collectors on ig. Shoot, the card companies make special Asian releases now. The over seas market is insane.
I don't think that is it. Goldin Auctions recently had a far more desirable card, the 03/04 Ultimate Collection Logoman Lebron James Auto 1/1. PWCC recently sold the most desirable Michael Jordan card outside of a few 1/1s, the 97/98 Upper Deck Game Jersey Auto /23. I would argue that is also more desirable than the Exquisite LeBron /99.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:04 PM
Scott ku.rtis

Quote:
However you too make a very valid point that not enough time, it would seem, is spent examining the cards. I think the volume of cards and pressure to get submissions completed to avoid further backlogs results in more mistakes.
From CLCT annual report:

As of June 30, 2018, we employed 3 autograph experts who joined the Company in the last two years, as well as outside consultants that we sometimes use on a contract basis.

3*50 weeks *40 hours =6000 hours. That is 35 autograph certifications per hour. Even if you have contracted guys, you are not getting to a manageable number. Look at all the work they say goes into authenticating an autograph in 1:42 (assuming 2 weeks vacation, no bathroom breaks, no sick days, no out of office days, and you are a robot that just churns all day long every second aside from an hour for lunch):

The vintage autograph authentication business is distinctly different from the “signed-in-the-presence” authentication of autographs where an “authenticator” is present and witnesses the actual signing. Our vintage autograph authentication service involves the rendering of an opinion of authenticity by an industry expert based on (i) an analysis of the signed object, such as the signed document or autographed item of memorabilia, to confirm its consistency with similar materials or items that existed during the signer’s lifetime; (ii) a comparison of the signature submitted for authentication with exemplars of such signatures; and (iii) a handwriting analysis. As of June 30, 2018, we employed 3 autograph experts who joined the Company in the last two years, as well as outside consultants that we sometimes use on a contract basis.
In June 2004, we also began offering grading services for autographs, beginning with baseballs containing a single signature or autograph. We use uniform grading standards that we have developed and a numeric scale of 1-to-10, with the highest number representing top quality or “Gem Mint” condition. We assign grades to the collectibles based on the physical condition or state of preservation of the autograph.

By contrast, they are grading 14 cards per hour according to the same metrics with 63 employees, which also seems high, but whatever.

Plenty of other yellow/red flags from their annual report if curious.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:54 AM
Manny
Banned

After spending the last few days browsing modern cards, I've come to the conclusion that pre-war is cheap. Nice Old Judges and T206 cards for $500-$1,000? Pftt...bargain bin stuff. That's like the minimum price for your common 1/1 turbo refractor auto/patch relic card...and there's thousands of them! Maybe it's a bubble? Maybe not? Who knows...