NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-16-2019, 07:32 AM

Default Tom Seaver

Does anyone know if Tom Seaver still does Autograph signings? I have been searching and the general consensus is he doesn't sign.
Old 02-16-2019, 07:40 AM
Bill H@e1ig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamebird View Post
Does anyone know if Tom Seaver still does Autograph signings? I have been searching and the general consensus is he doesn't sign.
I believe his health has prohibited him from doing so. He was an exclusive with MAB so you may want to reach out to them,
Old 02-16-2019, 08:17 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

I have also heard it was a health issue. He hasn’t done a signing in probably 8 years and my guess is that you never see him do another one.

Last edited by Yastrzemski Sports; 02-16-2019 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 08:22 AM
Christopher Williams

This is a little off topic, but when I was growing up the Yankees were on channel 11 and the Mets on channel 9.

And even though I grew-up a Yankees fan, I still loved watching the Mets (after all, it was baseball) and I really enjoyed watching Tom Seaver pitch and then watching him on Kiner's Korner.

I hope he's doing well.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:10 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Topps issued certified autograph cards of him in 2018, so he is signing, at least for them.

I have an item I want to get signed by him, and have been watching for any autograph signing appearance from him for several years now, and have not seen one announced. The last card show appearance he made, if I remember correctly, was not too long before he came down with some serious health issue. I don't know how he's fairing now, but am still on the lookout for him.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 02-16-2019, 05:32 PM
Michael

He was disable for many years with Lyme disease but I hear he is much better now
Old 02-16-2019, 06:36 PM
d.ean

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
He was disable for many years with Lyme disease but I hear he is much better now
Lyme disease is what I heard as well. He used to be a guest at just about every MAB show and then <*poof*> nothing. Glad to hear he is doing well. Hopefully he will start making appearances again. I believe he has his own vineyard, so that might be taking up a bunch of his time. Not the nicest guy on the planet, but I could use him on an item or two.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:07 PM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yastrzemski Sports View Post
He hasn’t done a signing in probably 8 years and my guess is that you never see him do another one.
He appeared at the "50 Years of Amazin' Baseball" autograph show at Citi Field in January 2012. Here's a photo I took of him signing a bat for a fan.

(Photo taken January 22, 2012. © Gary Dunaier. Link to upload on Flickr.com: here.)

Seaver's autograph prices that day were $49 for flat items and baseballs, $59 for caps and equipment, and $69 for bats and jerseys. The first inscription was $5, additional inscriptions $20 (except for "The Franchise" or "Tom Terrific," $50).
Old 03-07-2019, 02:32 PM

I just read on nj.com that Tom has retired from public life due to a diagnosis of dementia. A sad, long journey for he and his family.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:04 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Terrible news

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-08-2019, 07:31 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

It’s horrible for him and his family. Apparently it is from the effects of Lyme Disease when left untreated. I grew up on Long Island where Lyme’s has been rampant for 30+ years and is now spreading around the country as the infected ticks travel.
Seaver has been out of the public eye for the better part of a decade. This makes it official. Best wishes to him.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:14 PM

Sad news. I remember when I was young he was a guest at the old Gloria Rothstein shows in White Plains. He was a really nice guy. I remember him talking to everyone.

Last edited by packs; 03-08-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:13 PM
Richard Simon

Very sad news.
Years ago my daughter was valedictorian in her high school. NYC had a ceremony for all the valedictorians in city high schools.
The guest was Tom Seaver who gave a wonderful inspirational speech and graciously signed some autographs. My daughter still has the program with his signature.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 03-08-2019 at 09:13 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
I just read on nj.com that Tom has retired from public life due to a diagnosis of dementia. A sad, long journey for he and his family.
I read the same thing in yesterday's paper. Awful news...
I've always enjoyed the interaction with Tom Terrific at signings in the past. Mr. Seaver is a noted baseball historian and has written a few books on the subject. He was always willing to talk baseball with a fan, IF you came prepared to speak intelligently about a topic. If you didn't come prepared he could be a little intimidating at times based on my observations.

It should be noted that Tom Seaver played a very significant role in encouraging me to pursue my no-hit ticket collection.
I last saw him in 2006 at a MAB Sports event in NJ called the "Pitcher Perfect Show" that featured only pitchers (and some catchers) that had hurled no-hitters & perfect games. At this point, I had tickets to about 140 different no-hitter games. Mostly all of my perfect game tickets were signed at this point, but I had been toying with the idea of having all of the living pitchers in the no-hitter club sign a ticket to their no-hitter tickets.
The MAB show allowed me to add 30+ autographs to my ticket collection in one weekend. I couldn't pass up the opportunity & flew to the event in NJ.

When reaching the front of the Seaver & Don Werner line (Werner was Tom's catcher in his no-hitter in 1978), I placed a full ticket in front of Seaver and mentioned that I collected tickets to no-hitter games. He leaned over to Werner and said "Hey Donny, check this out a full ticket to our game! I don't think I ever signed a full ticket to our no-hitter..."
He asked me how many tickets to different games I had in my collection?
He was stunned upon hearing that I had tickets to 140 different games dating back to 1901. He continued to pepper me with several questions about my collection.

After his signing, he actually singled me out of the crowd in a hallway and told me how cool he thought my collection was. He encouraged me to continue to pursue this theme as it was so unique.

Needless to say, there is nothing more gratifying to a collector than getting a personal nod from a HOFer as great as Tom Terrific!
12 years later, my collection now stands at 210 no-hitter tickets signed by 157 no-hit pitchers as we speak...

My personal thoughts and prayers go out to Mr. Seaver and his family on his upcoming personal journey in dealing with the challenges associated with dementia.
He's a great competitor & I know that he's going to do everything he can to fight it.
For the last few months I have been a caregiver to my 84 year old mom that is struggling with the same thing. Believe me when I tell you that it's not fun...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tom Seaver signed full, unused no-hitter ticket.jpg (35.0 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 03-09-2019 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:12 PM
Jonathan

Default Tom Seaver

I met Mr. Seaver during the festivities surrounding the 2013 ASG at Citi Field in New York. He is baseball royalty, a true gentlemen, and a patriot. I wish he and his family all the best.

Jonathan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Seaver.jpg (76.7 KB, 79 views)