NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-21-2018, 10:25 AM
Ryan
Ryan McCla.nahan

Default What is the most important lesson you've learned through collecting?

Hey everyone, I wanted to find out what is or was the most important lessons you've learned while collecting? Has it changed your life or outlook for the better or worse?

I bring this up because for me, collecting has been mostly good -very positive and those I've met along the way have helped to shape my life.

I've met so many fantastic people through collecting, but about a year ago one of my best friends, a guy I met though collecting passed on from cancer and it's been fairly tough. I don't think there was a card show we didn't hit, even a National. Now if you ever had the chance to have gone to the Shriners Show in Boston, chances are, you probably bumped into my friend Bob Ward -probably one of the nicest collectors you'd ever want to meet -a collector's collector and a true kid at heart.

The good news is that I've learned so much from all of you as well. I take pride in the education I've gained through sports cards and though the players -everything from American history to economics to business and how to treat others and the history of the hobby. It's been an amazing adventure but I want to hear from you. Thanks.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:38 AM

Stay away from autographs unless you see the person sign it yourself, although I’ve known that for over thirty years.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:01 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

That at the end of the day, they are just pieces of cardboard. Don't let them consume your life or you will end up alienating the things that really matter.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:21 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

That when you have a chance to buy a rare piece, buy it. You may have a long wait to find another.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:35 PM
Barry Sloate

Acquire as much knowledge as you can before sinking a lot of money into collectables. Knowledge is power.

And I agree wholeheartedly with Tim at post #3.

Last edited by barrysloate; 12-21-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:55 PM
+0m J()rd@N

Patience and decisiveness.

Patience for those things that are common and decisiveness for those things that are not.

Along with #3 above, first and foremost.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 12-21-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:00 PM
pete ullman

Don't try to compete with other peoples collections...there is always someone else out there with a better collection...atleast in my world!
Old 12-21-2018, 01:00 PM
Anson

Buy what you like, not what's hot at the moment. Dont get caught in bidding wars for readily available stuff.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:33 PM
Mark Medlin

Taught me how to multiply by 36.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:37 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
That at the end of the day, they are just pieces of cardboard. Don't let them consume your life or you will end up alienating the things that really matter.
This is it, although a version of it is that I try to buy what I'll enjoy even if the bottom falls out in the market. Even if it is almost worthless, if I've bought something I can still enjoy having, then that's a win.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:39 PM
Banned

if it’s from the Great Pittsburgh Find it’s got to be good
Old 12-21-2018, 01:45 PM

Figure out your max bids based on some due diligence ... and don't go over. Its ok to not buy. You can get into a hole if the card is ultra rare and you really want it. But I am not a set collector and never really "need" anything. But most importantly, enjoy the hobby.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:54 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

For me, since I don’t collect rare issues, the biggest thing I’ve learned is to relax, there will be another card.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2

Last edited by gregr2; 12-21-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 02:23 PM
Al Richter

Always snipe if possible
Old 12-21-2018, 02:26 PM
Joshua Van Pelt

It’s not a race, enjoy the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2018, 03:03 PM
P.aul Orl,in

I think i learned that it is important to have a focus to your collection and not to make a lot of random purchases. Buying and selling is very costly if you have to move stuff, so dont waste money buying random things that look cheap. The 20% cost of auctioning at a minimum is very expensive if you buy and then need to sell. So, as others have said, buy what you truly like to collect and dont do it to try to make money.

Secondly, when something you have been looking for comes up and hasnt been for sale for a while (but you think its not that rare), be wary of chasing it in an auction. Often high prices draw out more of the item and the sexond and third auctions can go a lot lower. That one is hard to follow because you can get excited at the first opportunity!

Lastly, enjoy it, keep it fun for yourself.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:04 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

1. Always be prepared for disappointment.

2. When you run across something on ebay and immediately think, "Wow, that seems like a great price!," be ready to jump on it. (The usual caveats apply, so I'm not suggesting anyone be ignorant or get taken or anything like that.) I've run across cards that were seemingly listed way low, made a mental note of them, and then went to research pricing, but by the time I went back to find said cards BOOM!! they were already gone (would've been great if I could have linked The Eagles' 'Already Gone' video here) and I was left with regrets.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:10 PM
Brandon Bailey

Collect what you want/like.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:13 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
That when you have a chance to buy a rare piece, buy it. You may have a long wait to find another.
+1. In addition, stay away from current players who appear to be on a HOF track until they are at least in their mid-thirties. By that time, their legacy or lack of same will be well-established, and the early speculative and transient demand which forms a large part of their usually inflated prices will have largely departed. After all, the market for current and/or recent players is certainly not divorced from vintage--today's heroes and those of recent yesteryear are destined to become yesterday's stars also, and they and their cards will have to compete with vintage stars and HOF'er based on their true merit and ratio of supply to demand.

In addition, Barry is absolutely right--knowledge is power. The more you know in this context, the better your purchases will be if you have any interest at all in value appreciation over the long term.

Best of luck in your collecting,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 12-21-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 View Post
if it’s from the Great Pittsburgh Find it’s got to be good
I can't stop laughing.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:58 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpaul View Post
I think i learned that it is important to have a focus to your collection and not to make a lot of random purchases. Buying and selling is very costly if you have to move stuff, so dont waste money buying random things that look cheap. The 20% cost of auctioning at a minimum is very expensive if you buy and then need to sell. So, as others have said, buy what you truly like to collect and dont do it to try to make money.
Agreed. I definitely have a focus, I'm just not sure what it is.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:59 PM
Ed McCollum

Default You're not going to get everything

so don't even try and don't worry about it.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:02 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearBailey View Post
Collect what you want/like.
It's the old cliché, but this is really what it all comes down to. There's no right or wrong way to do this, most people have a pretty good idea of what interests them and moves them and works for them so trust your instincts.

And I would add another cliché on the flip side. When in doubt, pass.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-21-2018 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:14 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default lesson

That when you are ready to sell, no one gives a damn what you paid and they shouldn't. Its all about the market at that moment.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:21 PM
Hank Thomas

Default Enjoy what you have

The hunt is exciting, but can also become all-consuming. Try to squeeze as much pleasure as you can from the prizes you have already acquired, don't just put them away and turn all your attention to the next acquisitions. That's why I love display pieces on the wall and displays created in riker mounts, etc., just to look at as I go about my day or play my guitar.

A corollary to this is to learn to let things go. There's not a single item you own that you can't live without, and when you sell something you will forget about it almost immediately. And if you always sell off the "bottom" of your collection in terms of your interest, you are constantly improving it. Took me a while to get there, but now I enjoy selling from my collection almost as much as adding to it!
Old 12-21-2018, 04:29 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Sometimes it's more fun to give a card to someone who needs it rather than sell it. It all comes back around eventually.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 12-21-2018, 05:12 PM

I have learned that a nice raw card that I would put a 200 dollar price tag on at a card show could be submitted to PSA and come back a 9 and be easily sold for 800 to 900.

Card Grading has changed the way we buy,sell and collect.

Also:
Buy the card not the grade
Collect what you like
Overpay a bit for something you really want
Take a risk and buy something you have never seen before and hope for the best.
Add a little extra in a deal when you can.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:49 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha View Post
so don't even try and don't worry about it.
#this

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 12-21-2018, 07:21 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default Remember it’s a hobby

Be sensible, but give others the benefit of the doubt. There are many more good folks than jerks. That’ll come back around.

Also remember that it’s supposed to be about having fun, so that if some activity starts to feel stressful, it’s probably not where you want to be (unless of course you are a stressophiliac).

Last edited by timn1; 12-21-2018 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:24 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Have patience .... but if you see something that never comes up that you want buy it asap
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:19 PM
Tony S.ti.ns.a
Tony Stins.a

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckpaul View Post

Secondly, when something you have been looking for comes up and hasnt been for sale for a while (but you think its not that rare), be wary of chasing it in an auction. Often high prices draw out more of the item and the sexond and third auctions can go a lot lower. That one is hard to follow because you can get excited at the first opportunity!

Lastly, enjoy it, keep it fun for yourself.
I liked this post the most of any so far. These are great learnings though for a hoarder they are hard to follow.

I would add that if you are buying with an eye for long-term appreciation, buy stars in really nice condition.

If you are not as concerned about return, then set collecting is a fun pastime. But set collecting is not the way to maximize long term appreciation.

For any card, the lower the grade the less scarce and so the lower the potential appreciation.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:47 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

The chase is a lot more fun then owning forever.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:25 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
Have patience .... but if you see something that never comes up that you want buy it asap
Sums it up for me! ... Be ready to strike! Watch softy but carry a big stick.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:59 PM

Default this is a great thread!

I have learned collecting has been very cruel yet rewarding at the same time....

most important lesson:

"PEOPLE ARE WORTH MORE THAN CARDBOARD, YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU"

"RESPECT OTHERS AND TREAT THEM THE WAY YOU WANT TO BE TREATED"

I try to follow this at all times, sometimes the cardboard gets the better of me, my passion, but in the end collectors / people are worth more than any dream card.... RIP to our fellow collectors, especially Jantz
Old 12-21-2018, 10:05 PM
Fred

When you think you've seen it all, you find out you haven't.

Third party autograph "authenticators" are not as good as they think they are.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:46 AM
Phil Garry

One lesson that I learned the hard way, it is virtually impossible to differentiate a Type I photo from non-Type I photos by just looking at scans online. If you have the photo in hand, that's a different story. If buying online, stick with reputable sellers that you know. Also, from experience, around 95% of vintage Negro League images listed on e-bay are not Type I originals so that's probably not a good place to buy. Like everything else, you can get lucky once in a while but the odds are not in your favor and you will lose many, many more times than you will win.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:32 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

The best source of new material (business) is the competition

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-22-2018, 11:05 AM
Howard Chasser

Default hmmmm

1 - Buy what you know and know what you buy
2 - There is A LOT of good in people
3 - There is A LOT of bad in people
4 - While life isn't always easy, take pleasure in and savor the special moments
5 -Let your children lead and teach you
6 - Negotiate, but don't let what you know to be rare go
7 - It is ALWAYS better to pay more for quality
8 - Adults collect baseball cards too!
9 - Wishes can come true
10 - Life/collecting always leaves you wanting something
Old 12-22-2018, 11:14 AM

The most important lesson I have learned through collecting is that I have yet to learn my lesson.

Brian (a repeat offender since the Eighties)
Old 12-22-2018, 11:38 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Most of us like to buy vintage HOF'er rookies, and these can be very expensive. This is why it is always a good idea to buy a bunch of commons first. This way you can study them and learn about the set before buying the main card. A lot of these key vintage rookies that we want are altered (even the ones inside slabs.) Now when you have studied so many commons, then you will easily be able to spot the ones that look odd. In other words, you'll be able to tell if any have been bleached, trimmed, corners pressed, etc.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:43 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

when posting pics:
1. don't look like a slob
2. clean your hands & nails
3. no hairs on the card
4. don't stand in front of a mirror
5. put the lotions away
6. half of us are in the 40's + and cant see sh&t, post larger pics.
7. most of us like checking women from the f&B, so lets see the front & backs of cards
8. if its too good to be true, then put it on Ebay.
Old 12-22-2018, 05:38 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Sometimes it's more fun to give a card to someone who needs it rather than sell it. It all comes back around eventually.
^^THIS^^

Also always get scans/pics when doing a trade. Just saying as long as there is no major problems will get you a card that looks to have been folded in half and one with several pieces of tape stuck on it.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:11 AM
Brad

I have learned this is my hobby and not my business.

I have come across too many collectors who are all business all the time. They want to squeeze every penny they can from you on a trade/deal/postage etc. Thankfully, the majority of members here are like myself, but I have had to walk away from a deal or two. This is fun for me and I would rather sacrifice a deal than to make it a job.

My site: http://www.freewebs.com/gnep31/

Successful trades/transactions: Mountaineer1999, BlueDevel89, ezez420, Shorttmail66, Northviewcats, Mintacular, Elberson, NATCARD, Oneofthree67, Leerob538, shammus, Hawkfan70, 39special, scmavl, jimtigers65, rocuan
Old 12-23-2018, 07:20 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnep31 View Post
I have learned this is my hobby and not my business.

I have come across too many collectors who are all business all the time. They want to squeeze every penny they can from you on a trade/deal/postage etc. Thankfully, the majority of members here are like myself, but I have had to walk away from a deal or two. This is fun for me and I would rather sacrifice a deal than to make it a job.
totally agree with this!
Old 12-23-2018, 07:49 AM
Jason Wells

One word...patience.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:00 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradedcardman View Post
That when you are ready to sell, no one gives a damn what you paid and they shouldn't. Its all about the market at that moment.
+1

I hate when I make an offer that is more than fair and the seller replies that he paid more than that, I'm sorry that you overpaid but it does not mean I'm going to.

Last edited by Jim65; 12-23-2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:06 AM
Arnie

How to lie better. I got real good at acting casual when my wife complained about all the yellow envelopes coming in, and I would tell her, "Ah, just a bunch of cheap cards, a couple of bucks each"........
Old 12-23-2018, 08:57 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

How many cards my closet will hold?

and when it's full, seller's remorse isn't so bad.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:16 AM
Rich v@n He$$

Im not sure Ive really learned a damn thing. Sometimes Im taught to just wait for the next one. Sometimes Im taught I really should have jumped on that one that just passed. Its ok though, I'll get by.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:26 AM
Brian T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
This.