NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-31-2018, 08:16 AM

Default Sad News in the Hobby

Happy New Year to all, bu it is with sad news I post that long time Hobby Great Mr. Chad Drier past away on Saturday.
God Bless your family
Old 12-31-2018, 08:25 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Sorry to hear this. The time or two I was privileged to meet him he was one of the nicest gentlemen you would ever want to meet. RIP Mr. Drier and prayers go out for your family and friends.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:07 AM
Carl Lamendola

He was one of the nicest and honest guys I've ever met in this hobby. We collaborated numerous times, emailed each other, traded with each other, etc.

I just got an email from him right before Christmas that he was going into the hospital for more treatments and his continued fight with cancer. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. Chad, may you Rest in Peace.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:11 AM

Is this Chad Dreier the CEO who had the sports museum? I ask because of the spelling. My best to the family.
Old 12-31-2018, 09:58 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

That's him. I will echo the sentiments above: Chad was a great help in researching my books and a heck of a fun guy to hang out with too. Super giving of his time and energy to other collectors. RIP

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-31-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:40 AM
Brian T.

Thank you so much for sharing this sad news. I had not heard. My heart aches for Doug and the rest of his family over the loss of his father, Chad. I thoroughly enjoyed the time and hospitality that the Dreiers shared and feel blessed to have known Chad and the rest of the family. May he rest in peace and may God provide an extra measure of comfort for those he left behind.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:43 AM

Default very very

very sad news
Old 12-31-2018, 12:06 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Very saddening. I didn't know him personally but rather through the purchase of scarce non-sports cards on ebay years ago. We collected many of the same sets and I usually came out on the short end. Though I felt like he let me win occasionally.

Funny story. About 12-15 years ago there was a partial uncut sheet of N375 Breed of Dogs as a BIN of $500. I really wanted it and emailed hobby friends to sell some items to gather the necessary funds. When I knew I could pay for it 2-3 days later I was too late as Chad had seen it and made the purchase. I emailed him a few days later (easy since it was back when ebay IDs were your email address) and asked if he would resell it to me and I would give him an extra $50 over his costs for a quick profit. He politely responded with a "no thanks" saying that he liked it for his collection. About 6 months later I found out who he was and why he didn't bite at making a few extra bucks. LOL.

Last edited by egbeachley; 12-31-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:15 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Horrible news. Chad was a wonderful person and a passionate collector. My condolences go out to Doug, and Chad's daughter and his wife.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:47 PM
octavio ranzola

God bless
Old 12-31-2018, 01:16 PM
R.L. Americana, LLC

This is terrible news. Chad was a true gentleman. I had the privilege of knowing him and dealing with him over the years and he was always a great pleasure, with a tremendous sense of humor, and clearly was always having a lot of fun. Chad was a business mover and shaker in a huge way, more successful than almost anyone in the world. But he was also just a warm, generous, humble, down to earth guy that was just as comfortable sharing the excitement of his hobbies and interests with fellow collectors as he was navigating the highest echelons of the business world. He always treated everyone with kindness and respect, and that was one of the things I most admired about him. It was always clear that nothing meant more to him than his family. Just a great guy. My deepest condolences to his son Doug and the entire Dreier family.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:16 PM

I learned of this the other day, and it's still very shocking, and sad. I had the pleasure of meeting Doug & Chad several years back, what incredibly generous and sincere people. All my best to Doug and his family.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:38 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default Rip

I had quite a few dealings with Chad. He was 100% a gentleman all the way.....and then some. I will smile when I think of him.
Old 12-31-2018, 05:18 PM
Alan Zimmerman

Oh no

My condolences.
Old 12-31-2018, 06:09 PM
Rich Klein

I saw this note about his passing and a post as Chad was going through his final days on FB and never put 2 and 2 together. As has been posted, he's a good man and will be missed in the hobby

Rich
Old 12-31-2018, 06:38 PM

Default Sad news

Lost a good friend & collector comrade , god gave us truly good example of a humble & caring man, the first time I met chad at his home & museum , he was cracking out cards in psa holders with pliers and putting them in plastic album pages, Rest In Peace chad, frank foremny
Old 12-31-2018, 08:57 PM
Jay Cee

RIP Chad. Very sad news and condolences to his family. He will be missed by many.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:18 PM
Barry Sloate

I haven't spoken with Chad in years but I will always remember him as one of the truly nice guys in the hobby. Besides baseball cards, Chad and I would often talk about the Santa Barbara Zoo. I've visited there several times, and Chad was a benefactor. One of the lions in the zoo was named Chad (or was it Chadwick), after him of course. There was a giraffe there who had a neck deformity, and everyone who visited the zoo knew it well. Chad and I talked about the famous giraffe on many occasions. Very sorry to hear about his passing. He was a passionate collector and a true gentleman.

Last edited by barrysloate; 01-01-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:56 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_Lifson View Post
This is terrible news. Chad was a true gentleman. I had the privilege of knowing him and dealing with him over the years and he was always a great pleasure, with a tremendous sense of humor, and clearly was always having a lot of fun. Chad was a business mover and shaker in a huge way, more successful than almost anyone in the world. But he was also just a warm, generous, humble, down to earth guy that was just as comfortable sharing the excitement of his hobbies and interests with fellow collectors as he was navigating the highest echelons of the business world. He always treated everyone with kindness and respect, and that was one of the things I most admired about him. It was always clear that nothing meant more to him than his family. Just a great guy. My deepest condolences to his son Doug and the entire Dreier family.
I echo Rob's words. I had more than a few dealings with Chad over the years. All of them very pleasant. He was very knowledgeable and very passionate. Always a pleasure to talk with.

Prayers for his family

Fred
Old 01-02-2019, 07:37 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Chad was a great guy and very easy to deal with. He will be missed.

Joshua
Old 01-03-2019, 08:56 AM

Horrible News! Chad was a TRUE COLLECTOR! RIP my dear friend!

Dan Mckee
Old 01-07-2019, 03:16 PM
Doug Dre*i*er

Default Thank you

On behalf of the Dreier family, I extend a thank you for your kind thoughts and words.

Card collecting was one of my father's pure joys. Family being the other. He was at his happiest hunting for cards to complete a set, or sorting through cards. Even up to the end, he was collecting (N-cards and non-sports, mostly).

He loved the hobby and dealt with many of you when collecting. As you know, he was honest, fair, and cared about people.

He thrived in helping others, and one of his many legacies will be his charity work. I think another legacy will be the collection he started and we built together. Many of you were a major part of that, and I thank you on his behalf.

Cheers,

Doug (and family)
Old 01-07-2019, 03:40 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Doug-I see that this is your second post in almost ten years. Hopefully, there will be more, and those will be under happier circumstances.

Best--Jay