NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 07-20-2017, 07:43 PM
S Vincent

Default Kenesaw Landis letter....too good to be true?

By the end of this, I'm sure I'll look like an idiot, but here it goes.

Was on eBay last night and saw a new listing for a Kenesaw Landis signed letter. I have done enough research on his autograph and the mediums they are found on that I at least had some prior background knowledge. That said, I never buy anything like this without first coming here to get opinions. I trust you guys more than me.

There was one problem. The price was so absurdly good that I didn't feel I had time to come here and get opinions without possibly losing out on it. The Catch-22, of course, is that what is too good to be true almost always is.

Yet, this autographed letter looks just like his authentic ones and my instinct was telling me it was real despite the price. Some of his letters have been secretarial signed, but according to Ron Keurajian's book, they are really easy to spot.

I also did a quick study on the place it was coming from -- Caliban Books, a book store near Pittsburgh -- and it seems to have a really solid reputation. But its reputation is mostly in books.

There is so much impressive knowledge on here that I want to get your opinion. If you don't like it or have concerns, I won't be offended. And trust me, I would be really suspicious as well based on the $57 price tag. Yeah, $57. The content of this letter isn't impressive and has nothing to do with baseball, but $57 is still way too cheap.

If you guys don't like it, I could still return it. But I've decided I won't and instead would use it as a reminder to never buy anything like this without asking your opinions first.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Landis-Kenes...72.m2749.l2649
Old 07-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Scott

Rod Stewart did a song "Some guys have all the luck".........

Looks good to me
Old 07-20-2017, 08:19 PM
S Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Rod Stewart did a song "Some guys have all the luck".........

Looks good to me
Hahahaha. Nice one.

Thanks for making me feel a little bit less crazy about this.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:27 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

While I have no opinion on this item, experienced antique booksellers will have a good general feel and knowledge for old manuscripts, paper, etc-- and, of course, many antique books were signed.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:33 PM
Ben North

I know nothing about the autograph. Two things to consider though. One never post anything cool on here till you at least have a tracking # and the item is in the mail. There are people on here that will email the seller and buy it out from under you. It has happened several times. The second thing is if you do get it and it is bad you can just return it. There is another member that buys cheap garbage all the time and when he posts it on here and finds out it is bad he uses eBay to get his $ back.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:39 PM
S Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I know nothing about the autograph. Two things to consider though. One never post anything cool on here till you at least have a tracking # and the item is in the mail. There are people on here that will email the seller and buy it out from under you. It has happened several times. The second thing is if you do get it and it is bad you can just return it. There is another member that buys cheap garbage all the time and when he posts it on here and finds out it is bad he uses eBay to get his $ back.
You'll be proud of me. For whatever reason I had the same thought and also waited for the tracking number and for it to be updated as having left the first facility.

ETA: I also already decided if it's bad that I wouldn't return it and keep it as a reminder for the future.

Last edited by Baseball Fan; 07-21-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:09 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
?................................................. ..................................There is another member that buys cheap garbage all the time and when he posts it on here and finds out it is bad he uses eBay to get his $ back.
The nerve

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:58 PM

Have purchased many quality books from Caliban over the years. No issues whatsoever. (No baseball items, but would not hesitate to do so.)
Old 07-21-2017, 06:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fan View Post
You'll be proud of me. For whatever reason I had the same thought and also waited for the tracking number and for it to be updated as having left the first facility.

ETA: I also already decided if it's bad that I wouldn't return it and keep it as a reminder for the future.
Why did you decide it was bad?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:05 PM
S Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Why did you decide it was bad?
Sorry for the miscommunication. I actually think it's good, but I totally understand if people are skeptical based on the price. I was just saying that if it was deemed to be bad, I would just simply take the punishment of my mistake rather than returning it.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Ah, got it.

It's probably fine.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-21-2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:18 PM
S Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Ah, got it.

It's probably fine.
Thanks for the feedback on it. Much appreciated.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:13 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

Quote:
One never post anything cool on here till you at least have a tracking # and the item is in the mail. There are people on here that will email the seller and buy it out from under you. It has happened several times.
It's happened to me - not here, but in a comic book collecting forum. Didn't help matters that I generally use my real name, as I do here, as a matter of course. The only reason I did it was because I first learned of the existence of the item in question, an exceedingly rare comic book, in that forum, then searched Ebay for it just for the heck of it, and found a seller offering a copy for an obscenely low price. I thought the irony was too good not to share, and I also naively thought once the Pay Pal transaction was completed the seller was obligated to ship it to me... until the seller refunded my payment and claimed he didn't actually have the book, it was listed by mistake. Yeah, right.

I learned my lesson that day.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:59 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
It's happened to me - not here, but in a comic book collecting forum. Didn't help matters that I generally use my real name, as I do here, as a matter of course. The only reason I did it was because I first learned of the existence of the item in question, an exceedingly rare comic book, in that forum, then searched Ebay for it just for the heck of it, and found a seller offering a copy for an obscenely low price. I thought the irony was too good not to share, and I also naively thought once the Pay Pal transaction was completed the seller was obligated to ship it to me... until the seller refunded my payment and claimed he didn't actually have the book, it was listed by mistake. Yeah, right.

I learned my lesson that day.
Happens often. I don't crow about "steals" until it is IN-HAND.

I heard a story about a seller "recalling" a Priority Mail package mid-shipment once he discovered he sold something for way below market value.

(Yes, a sender can intercept a shipment through the USPS and have it sent back.)
Old 07-23-2017, 08:06 AM
R@nda!! H@hn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Happens often. I don't crow about "steals" until it is IN-HAND.

I heard a story about a seller "recalling" a Priority Mail package mid-shipment once he discovered he sold something for way below market value.

(Yes, a sender can intercept a shipment through the USPS and have it sent back.)

I used to give out free opinions on McGwire autographs back in the day. I would even let guys know an item was good if I was bidding on it. Several really cool items disappeared before bidding was supposed to end which was curious. Then about a year or two later a guy who had been asking me for opinions on a lot of items emailed me to see if I wanted to buy a bunch of McGwire signed items. You guessed it, the ones that disappeared. And of course he wanted top dollar. Very infuriating.

Baseball's hard. You can love it but it doesn't always love you back. It's like dating a German chick...
Billy Bob Thornton-Bad News Bears