NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-21-2005, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: leon

So full of crap....edited but still the same outcome.....I am editing this because they make it seem like this is a true 1 of a kind. It might be one of a kind "graded" but the hype makes me puke. I had shown a scan of my "Mays" in an SGC 60 holder but then realized that they probably do have the only graded Harkinson....I guess this is just a case of caveat emptor...and not to take anything away from their card as it's still beautiful but just not as rare as they would have you believe....imo.....later

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73433&item=5157438846&rd=1

Old 01-21-2005, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Why is it only a 60??

It sure looks "crisp" to me.

Any idea?

Unseen crease?

Old 01-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: warshawlaw

Overhyped should be his middle name. At least the card isn't in one of the silly holders he used to use.

Old 01-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: Trae R.

lol:

http://www.toolhaus.org/cgi-bin/negs?User=ah-collectibles&Dirn=Received+by

Old 01-21-2005, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: Jay Miller

I may be wrong but I think I know this card. I almost purchased it(or its twin) from a major vintage dealer a few years ago in a raw state, but didn't because I came to believe that it was rebacked. The reason I believed this is because under a loop the photo extended ever so slightly over the backing. I've seen photos not extend to the backing's edge(sheet margin copies) but never the case where a photo extended over the edge. Some time later I saw the card at the same dealer's table in an SGC holder. Beautiful looking card though, and in the holder you probably can't see the edge anymore.

Old 01-22-2005, 01:26 AM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: BcD

unseen crease-No! pressed out edges-yes!

Leon had a bunch of NM-Mt looking 50-s/60's cards that came back from SGC. They looked great! For fun I called and inquired and they told me a small percentage of cards graded by them have slight texture difference in small areas wear an iron or pressing was performed to remove spider creases and/or "sharpen" a corner(s). !

Old 01-22-2005, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: john/z28jd

Why do people say somethings the highest[or in this case finest] graded example when theres only one graded....Doesnt that also mean its the lowest graded example of this card and therefore shouldnt be worth 1/10th what they are asking

Old 01-22-2005, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: jackgoodman

from the link above: "Reply by ah-collectibles: Read our terms not responsible for errors in listing, you are obviously new". so even if he lists an item wrong, the buyer is still responsible? Wow.

Old 01-22-2005, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: Lee Behrens

Who is Ah-Collectibles? Isn't it one of the socalled "BIG" dealers?

Old 01-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: leon

I just re-read that. How can one not be liable for errors they make? Is that like saying "I'm not responsible for myself ?" ).....later

Old 01-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: jay behrens

Leon, don't you remember the other thread, it's never your fault. Someone else is always to blame for the mistakes you make. We have no more personal accountability in this country.

Jay

Wow upside down is Mom. Mom upside down is what dad wants to see.

Old 01-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: tbob

AH Collectibles is Alan Hagler. He was taken to task by Dennis Purdy in an old VCBC article (couple of them) as the most disreputable seller in the hobby.

Old 01-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: barrysloate

Alan Hager is only happy when he takes a customer to the cleaners. I think he wakes up each morning and says: "who can I rip off today." I think he was born with the evil gene. He just can't help it.

Old 01-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: mike

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=alan+hager+coin+dealer

Old 01-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: martindl

Interesting earlu 1990 Barrons article about the birth of grading, Hager and other shananigans

http://www.k6az.com/acg/barrons.pdf

Old 01-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: BCD

apparently sued several guys last year on the CU chat board for slamming him.

Wonder how they did!

Old 01-23-2005, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: tbob

truth is an absolute defense. I imagine Hager lost...

Old 01-23-2005, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: warshawlaw

Appellate Court of Connecticut.
DAVID NAUGHTON v. ALAN HAGER
- 29 Conn. App. 181 -, - 614 A.2d 852 -
Docket No(s). 10551

[here are the jury’s answers to some of the special verdict questions—special verdicts are used to ask the jury to make specific findings of fact relative to the controversy]

Interrogatory No. 6. Do you find that defendant Alan Hager breached the contract between the parties by transferring overgraded coins whose verifiable wholesale value was less than 20 percent of retail value?
Answer: Yes.

Interrogatory No. 7. Do you find that the defendant Alan Hager knowingly falsely represented the grading and wholesale value of coins he transferred to David Naughton as higher than 19 percent of retail value, when that was untrue, and that he did so to induce Naughton to act on it and that he did so to his financial loss?

Interrogatory No. 8. Do you find that defendant Hager in the course of his coin dealer business supplied false grading and valuation information regarding the coins delivered to Naughton for Naughton's guidance and that he failed to exercise reasonable care or competence in obtaining or supplying the information to Naughton for the purpose of inducing action on it, and that plaintiff Naughton did so act to his financial loss?

I'd not want to deal with a guy like this....

Old 01-23-2005, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: BCD

Is his price guide(though it has 400 false statements) is beautiful for photos and almost contemporary on prices!

Old 01-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Default AH- Collectibles

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

I have an autographed Comprehensive Price Guide by Hagar. Same value as a Pete Rose Card.