NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-21-2013, 04:23 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Default Question about Collectibles Insurance Services

I am sending some high end T206s to a Dealer for an upcoming event. Does anyone know if my insurance covers the exposure of his travel, and for the 3 days at the show? I have heard about several thefts that have happened in recent events.....Thanks for any input.....
Old 10-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Daryl

I don't think so. I believe they would only be covered during shipping; once they are in the dealer's hands, they would be his (and his insurance's) responsibility.

Last edited by 4815162342; 10-21-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:56 PM
Tony Gordon

I'm of the opinion that this company is a scam. Check out the "Exclusions." They pretty much exclude everything that could go wrong.

http://www.collectinsure.com/exclusions.aspx
Old 10-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Gordon View Post
I'm of the opinion that this company is a scam. Check out the "Exclusions." They pretty much exclude everything that could go wrong.

This company protects you from theft, fire and flooding...I guess I'm not too worried about my cards in the event a nuclear bomb goes off. I'm curious what part of that list you think a company should cover? They would also cover cards, shipped via registered mail or other approved method stated in their guidelines, and I believe they would even cover them while at the show as long as they are declared.

Last edited by rainier2004; 10-21-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:16 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:

I have used them for years. They cover the most important things for me...fire, flood and theft.

Jeff
Old 10-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Bi11..R0berts

•Voluntary parting with covered property

I would hazard a guess that this would apply to your situation Kevin.
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 10-21-2013, 07:31 PM
Tony Gordon

I'd be interested to hear from someone who has made a claim. Theft is clearly excluded because it is a "criminal act" or "mysterious disappearance" and fire and flooding may be excluded from their catch-all phrase at the end that states "This is not a complete list of exclusions and exclusions can vary by policy."
Old 10-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Hank

Default Collect Insure

Most traditional insurance companies will not cover sports cards & memorabilia...they won't touch it. IMO, they are one of the best "shots" at covering your cards & memorabilia at all...
Old 10-21-2013, 07:37 PM
Daryl

Tony I'm just curious, do you have cash and gold buried in your backyard?
Old 10-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitysportscards View Post
Most traditional insurance companies will not cover sports cards & memorabilia...they won't touch it. IMO, they are one of the best "shots" at covering your cards & memorabilia at all...
You are right on the money Hank...if I had to insure through my homeowners it would cost me 3x as much.

Jeff
Old 10-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by brob28 View Post
•Voluntary parting with covered property

I would hazard a guess that this would apply to your situation Kevin.
I guess I didn't interpret it that way. When I talked to a rep at the company, he informed me that it would be covered in the mail and say on display at a museum, not that I have anything like that. It seems like at a show may be covered, but that may pushing it.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:01 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
I'd be interested to hear from someone who has made a claim. Theft is clearly excluded because it is a "criminal act" or "mysterious disappearance" and fire and flooding may be excluded from their catch-all phrase at the end that states "This is not a complete list of exclusions and exclusions can vary by policy."
You have to read the whole policy..and I spoke to them about the exclusions. Fortunately I have never had a claim, but I am very comfortable with the coverage of the policy.

Jeff
Old 10-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I made a claim for a loss in shipping. They paid fine.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:34 PM
Phil Nap

Quote:
You are reading from a punch list of exclusions. If you read the policy it states "Dishonest or criminal acts . . . by you, your employees, your agents, your family, and household members, or any person or persons to whom the Covered Property may be entrusted."
Old 10-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I made a claim for a loss in shipping. They paid fine.
I'd be curious to hear the details as I have wondered about this if its ok with you.

Was the card shipped to or from you? I am assuming it was shipped in one of the policies approved methods like reg mail, etc.? If the card was over 5k, did you have to declare it with them as a scheduled item prior to ship? Any help is always appreciated.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
I'd be curious to hear the details as I have wondered about this if its ok with you.

Was the card shipped to or from you? I am assuming it was shipped in one of the policies approved methods like reg mail, etc.? If the card was over 5k, did you have to declare it with them as a scheduled item prior to ship? Any help is always appreciated.
I don't have the insurance personally, it's through our auction company, B and L. We shipped 2 cards, approximate value $1100 total. Anything over $400 needs signature confirmation and we had it. The cards never made it to the recipient. We filed a claim with all supporting documents (not many really)...and approximately 60 days later we got paid. There was a $200 deductible. We had sent the package through USPS first class with sig confirmation. So that was it.....no problems.

As an aside to the story, quite some time later I got a call from a US Postal Agent. They investigate internal crime in the USPS as opposed to a Postal Inspector who investigates external crime. It seems the 2 "lost" cards showed up on ebay and were being sold by one of those ebay consignment shops. The problem was, was that the true consignor was a Postal Employee. It seems he me might have been the culprit. I don't know how that part of the story ended.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Greg Mitchell

Someone claims it doesn't cover theft? Surely that's wrong or what's the point? I presume "mysterious disappearance" means when the cards are gone but you do not file police report etc. Correct? And it does cover actual theft?
Old 10-22-2013, 01:26 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I had $700 worth of cards stolen out of my truck a few years back, they paid me in full about 60 days later. I have had a policy for about 6 years now and feel its well worth it.

Last edited by smtjoy; 10-22-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
I have used them for years. They cover the most important things for me...fire, flood and theft.

Jeff
Me too, thats exactly how I feel. Fire, flood, theft, thats what I am worried about. I have heard good stories about them dealing with these problems.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:31 AM
Bill Gregory

Can anybody with this insurance, or knowledge of their policy, comment if cards in a storage facility, or a bank, would be covered? Or do they all have to be in your domicile if not being shipped? My high value cards are going to be stored in a safe deposit box at my bank. I would like to put a safe full of my pre-war and vintage cards of lesser value in my locked storage unit as it's climate controlled, and has a sprinkler system. It also has a video surveillance system, and access to the facility is restricted to people who store with them. That seems to trump any kind of protection I could have at home.

I know that Uhaul offers insurance on things in storage, but I would prefer to have one policy covering the totality of my collection.

Thanks!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:18 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

No carrier will cover theft by embezzlers or by people you entrust the cards to unless you have them under a fidelity policy or fidelity bond. Thefts by strangers and mysterious disappearances are covered.

You must read the policy to understand the scope of its coverage. I am very comfortable with the scope of coverage offered in the policy I have.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-24-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:36 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
No carrier will cover theft by embezzlers or by people you entrust the cards to unless you have them under a fidelity policy or fidelity bond. Thefts by strangers and mysterious disappearances are covered.

You must read the policy to understand the scope of its coverage. I am very comfortable with the scope of coverage offered in the policy I have.
+1
Old 10-24-2013, 03:37 PM
Steven

I use and like this company as well. They have always treated me well, with patience and were very open and thorough on the policy. I did just get my annual policy renewal and it increased 16% for some reason w/o declaring any added value to my collection yet...I need to give them a call.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:45 PM
James Gallo

Default Claims

I have had two claims with them under my dealer policy which MAY vary some from a personal policy.

One was a theft at a show the other was a pipe breaking at my workplace. They cover 75% or so of both claims with no problems.

There is no doubt in my mind they are the best around.

As for the original question, the cards would be covered in shipping, but as stated I think once the dealer had them they would be under his policy.

James G
Old 10-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Arnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
I use and like this company as well. They have always treated me well, with patience and were very open and thorough on the policy. I did just get my annual policy renewal and it increased 16% for some reason w/o declaring any added value to my collection yet...I need to give them a call.
They up my policy 1% or so a month in value, you must have a clause like that in your policy. I have been letting that happen, but I think its about time to call them and stop it from going up when its due again.