NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 11-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Erik

Default Favorite 1970's Football Set

On the heels of the favorite 1960 Football set, I would love to hear from football collectors on your favorite 1970's set and why. And, if you are able to post some cards from your favorite 70's sets, please do so. I know BigRedOne (John) will.

My favorite set is the 1976 Topps set. It was the first year I collected football cards in bulk so to speak. O.J. Simpson was my favorite player and the Buffalo Bills was my favorite team though I lived in the suburbs of Chicago.

In second, is the 1975 Topps set. It was the first year I bought some packs and the O.J. card from that year is probably my favorite of all his cards. I really love the design of this set and there are several great action cards from the set.

Honorable mention goes to the 1972 set. I just think it highlights the merged league in a great way.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:37 PM

I hope inserts count, because my favorites are the 1970 Topps Super Glossies. Why? Because they're beautiful!

Old 11-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearmint View Post
I hope inserts count, because my favorites are the 1970 Topps Super Glossies. Why? Because they're beautiful!

Yes, inserts count. Love those super glossy cards!
Old 11-18-2013, 07:02 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I love the '75s, my first year of buying cards, they always bring back memories. The '76s are a very close second.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:04 AM

I'm still trying to finish my raw 71, 72, and 73 sets...those that I started as a kid..so definitely have sentimental memories for me personally. I like the 71 for their red and blue borders and really cool pictures with great focus. The 72 I like for the clean designs and ofcourse the challenge of the high numbers. Finally 73 is just a challenge because so many of the cards are badly centered or diamond cut...

Ricky Y
Old 11-19-2013, 12:03 PM

1976 is my favorite set from the 1970s. I really like some of the action shots and overall design. Only thing I don't like are the drab team checklist cards.

Second favorite is 1972. I've always liked the high numbered All Pro cards and IA cards. Buying a large collection from a childhood collector with almost all the high numbers helped complete my set.

Least favorite is 1974. Just not a fan of the design.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:25 PM
Mike

1978's were the first cards I recall owning...not sure how I got them, just remember having them. Mom probably tossed those when we moved in 1980, and I don't own any today, been pretty focused on baseball. It's on my list to start a set at some point...design is OK...the big sidebar with the team name is "unique," won't describe it as attractive.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Fritz View Post
1976 is my favorite set from the 1970s. I really like some of the action shots and overall design. Only thing I don't like are the drab team checklist cards.

Second favorite is 1972. I've always liked the high numbered All Pro cards and IA cards. Buying a large collection from a childhood collector with almost all the high numbers helped complete my set.

Least favorite is 1974. Just not a fan of the design.
I do not care for the 1974 set either. Quality control was very bad that year. And, I don't like the 1971 set. It is too cartoonish looking.

Also, just my opinion, but they finished the decade in 78 and 79 with two weak sets.

Another set I like in terms of card design in the 1977 set.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:50 AM

Completely agree with you on the '78 set (bleh) and I really like the '77 set as well. '75 through '77 were three excellent sets produced by Topps in my opinion.

The '77 Staubach card is one of my all time favorites. There are also a bunch of other great cards from that set.

Now I feel like pulling out some of my 70s football sets tonight.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Fritz View Post
Completely agree with you on the '78 set (bleh) and I really like the '77 set as well. '75 through '77 were three excellent sets produced by Topps in my opinion.

The '77 Staubach card is one of my all time favorites. There are also a bunch of other great cards from that set.

Now I feel like pulling out some of my 70s football sets tonight.
Yes, the Staubach card is nice as is Bob Griese, Greg Pruitt and Stabler just to name a few.

For some reason, I never collected 1977 Topps Football and I don't remember why. We had plenty of access to football cards living in the midwest. I may have been going through a comic book phase.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Sam Lemoine

Default How I see them

My rankings of the Topps sets are: 1971, 1975, 1972, 1976, 1977, 1973, 1970, 1979, 1974, 1978. Not a fan of the 1978 sideways team names. I LOVE the 71's. Great color, great player selection (except no Kilmer) and the best backs ever.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:57 PM
Be.n C0z1n

I would lean towards the 76 set and the 77 set. Backs on the 75's are tough to read. The joint all pro cards are kind of something different, and must have been a cool feature for the 75's back when they first came out. I also like the 73 set. Harder to find cards truly centered than one might think. Also have colorful backs with a cartoon, etc...
Old 11-25-2013, 05:10 AM

Yes, Yes Indeed Im all about EVERYTHING seventies!

The very core of my entire collection is the 1970 to 1979 Run of Topps Sets Ive been on a mission building for the better part of 35 years now. My goal of building the Perfect sets may never be complete, but it doesn't stop me from trying.

Somebody mentioned in the "Favorite 1960's Sets" thread about the 1969 Topps set and how beautiful the 69's were in high grades. I think that can basically be true of any set. In high grades the cards take on a completely different look. Being able to see and feel your childhood sets in this way really does make the sets and cards even more special to me.

I love all of the Seventies sets and I seem to go through cycles of which ones are my favorites depending on which one I currently seem to be working the hardest on.

That being said, there seems to be a wide array of opinions and thats whats always been great about card collecting. Everyone has their favorites and a story why.

First off, Roger Staubach is my all-time greatest boyhood hero and the greatest Football player Ive ever seen. The 1972 Topps Set was the first cards I collected when I was 8-years old. It features Roger Stabach's Rookie as well as his Passing Leader, Pro-Action and Super Bowl MVP cards as the Cowboys and Doomsday ABSOLUTELY crushed that Same Undefeated Dolphins Team. I believe its still the only Super Bowl that a defense did not allow a touchdown. I also truely believe, That Cowboy team would have beat that Dolphin team a second time had it not been for that Pesky "Over The Hill" Redskin Team that got crushed by the Dolphins. They just didn't match up very well.

Along with the bold colors and the use of both horizontal and vertical cards the 1972 Topps Set was the last set to be issued in series.

Its other historical innovative first's like the League Leader, Pro-Action, Playoff and the largest crop of HOF Rookie cards ever issued in one set, Led by that of Roger Staubach, will always set the 72 set apart from all the rest for me.

These Cowboy Playoff cards are two of my all-time favorite cards. Look at the sheer determination on Mr.Cowboy, Bob Lilly's face. Also notice the scores of the games. This was real football! When you had earn your points against a defense that didn't have its hands tied behind its backs by these pussified modern rules to promote and allow more scoring.

While yes, Ive spent boat loads of money over the years on these cards and it doesn't matter if I never see one red dime in return, because the cards and the heroes of my youth they represent are priceless. The saddest part is that we were probably the last generation of kids to ever experience card collecting in its purest form. No Price guides, No Labels, Just a mouthful of gum and a stack of cards in your pocket to swap with your friends.

1972 was a magical year for me as it also feature another football issue that may be even more Special than the 72 Topps Set itself!

The 1972 SUNOCO STAMP SET!
The all inclusive set of every player on the team with full on NFL logos was like noyhing we had EVER seen before! With a full color collector Album to boot we were just blown away by it as kids. About 10 years ago I went on a mission to assemble the finest 72 Sunoco set known to man. Again I spent boat loads on it, but again it never was about the money, Only the ability to now be able to escape back to 1972 everytime I open that special book of stamps. Once again it became priceless. Of coarse its featuring plenty of Roger Staubach and that first Super Bowl win for Tom landry made it all the more Special.

And of coarse my favorite stamp in the set. Lil Puddin Walt Garison

I'll be back to dicuss all of the other sets of the decade and why I prefer both the 78 and 79 sets over the 77 set.

John
Old 11-25-2013, 07:25 AM
Erik

Well it is about time you showed up to this thread John.

I was wondering where you were. As a kid in the 70s, I did not care for the Cowboys at all. Now, looking back, I am a huge fan of Staubach and Tom Landry. Two men...all class!

And, I am in total agreement with this statement you made:

"The saddest part is that we were probably the last generation of kids to ever experience card collecting in its purest form. No Price guides, No Labels, Just a mouthful of gum and a stack of cards in your pocket to swap with your friends."

I remember Walt Garrison most for his smokeless tobacco commercials. Was it for Skoal? A little pinch between your cheek and gum.

I am interested to hear why you like the 78 and 79 sets. I don't particularly care for either though I did collect plenty of 79 cards back then.

Erik

Last edited by Samsdaddy; 11-25-2013 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:30 AM
Mike Dugan

I have never really cared for any of the 1970s sets or the 1969 while I love every set pre-69 set. Maybe because I started collecting in 1960. I even like the Nu-Cards. There was one little neighborhood grocery store that sold them close to my house.

The Walt Garrison commercials were for Skoal same as Earl Campbell. I have an autographed Skoal can from Garrison that a friend got for me at a trade show in the 1980s.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:10 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
I have never really cared for any of the 1970s sets or the 1969 while I love every set pre-69 set. Maybe because I started collecting in 1960. I even like the Nu-Cards. There was one little neighborhood grocery store that sold them close to my house.

The Walt Garrison commercials were for Skoal same as Earl Campbell. I have an autographed Skoal can from Garrison that a friend got for me at a trade show in the 1980s.
Even though I started collecting in 1975, I prefer the 60s sets as well. I just think the 1960s was a classic time to collect sports cards. That being said, those sets from the mid 70s just remind me of being a boy again and collecting because you loved to collect, not because of the perceived value of a card.

A very unique item you have, an autographed Skoal container. I wonder how many people can say they have that item in their collection?
Old 11-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Mike Dugan

I think you hit it exactly for me, I do also enjoy having the 70s and 80s sets but the ones that take you back to your boyhood are special.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Sam Lemoine

I started collecting with the 1973 set. I remember a kid trading me his OJ Simpson for "any white guy you have". My pleasure. I'll take your Larry Brown and Calvin Hill too! I remember my dad bringing me home a rack pack with Staubach on the front and Manning on the back. I loved collecting that set.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:53 PM

i'm surprised there hasn't been any love for the 77 Topps Mexican Set; topps product, tough tough set to complete......probably the toughest topps football set of all.....
Old 12-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Jay Shelton

The 1975 set was the first set I started collecting as a kid (along with the 1975 baseball), but it was hit-or-miss; get a few packs (25 cents then for 10 cards!) whenever we made it over to the local 7-11. I did not care for the look of the 1976 set, and the 1977 set was the first set that I attempted to build (all from wax). I think I fell about 3-4 cards short. I stopped buying packs when I bought four packs (40 cards) and only got 4 that I needed; the rest were duplicates.

I guess I'm old school, as when I collected cards from packs, I actually checked off the checklist cards to keep track of what I had and did not have. Some purists or those that send cards off to TPG would deem that a travesty. It was part of the hobby and fun to me.

I recently picked up a lot of about 150 or so 1975 football cards on eBay just to "relive" some childhood memories, and sorting through them, I can remember which cards I did have back then. Got the George Blanda and Tom Dempsey Record cards which I had as I kid. Big thrill again.

It always bothered me that the logos on the helmets were airbrushed out back then; some teams looked worse (Chargers, Eagles, Rams) and some not so bad (Patriots, Cowboys, Dolphins). I remember in 1979 or 1980 when Topps quite totally airbrushing out the complete horn on the Rams helmet; that was a big deal back then for the small group of collectors…
Old 12-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post
The 1975 set was the first set I started collecting as a kid (along with the 1975 baseball), but it was hit-or-miss; get a few packs (25 cents then for 10 cards!) whenever we made it over to the local 7-11. I did not care for the look of the 1976 set, and the 1977 set was the first set that I attempted to build (all from wax). I think I fell about 3-4 cards short. I stopped buying packs when I bought four packs (40 cards) and only got 4 that I needed; the rest were duplicates.

I guess I'm old school, as when I collected cards from packs, I actually checked off the checklist cards to keep track of what I had and did not have. Some purists or those that send cards off to TPG would deem that a travesty. It was part of the hobby and fun to me.

I recently picked up a lot of about 150 or so 1975 football cards on eBay just to "relive" some childhood memories, and sorting through them, I can remember which cards I did have back then. Got the George Blanda and Tom Dempsey Record cards which I had as I kid. Big thrill again.

It always bothered me that the logos on the helmets were airbrushed out back then; some teams looked worse (Chargers, Eagles, Rams) and some not so bad (Patriots, Cowboys, Dolphins). I remember in 1979 or 1980 when Topps quite totally airbrushing out the complete horn on the Rams helmet; that was a big deal back then for the small group of collectors…
Like you Jay, 1975 was a hit or miss for me as well. I bought more baseball packs that year than football. 1976 I really cranked up the collecting but for some reason, I do not recall buying one pack of 1977 cards. The design is very sharp and clean I just do not ever remember buying a pack and I lived in an area in the midwest where football cards were prevelant.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Pa.ul Mat.is.ak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayworld View Post

I love stories like this. Thats what its all about. The memories. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Pa.ul Mat.is.ak

I'm surprised about the disdain for the '78s. Actually thats my favorite of the 70s. The main reason is that the first year I collected them. I also love the 77 design. The 72 & 75 designs I really like as well. For some strange reason I can't work up any love for the 71s. I typically like colored borders (like 71 and 75 in baseball), but the 71s just don't do it for me.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:43 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM770 View Post
I'm surprised about the disdain for the '78s. Actually thats my favorite of the 70s. The main reason is that the first year I collected them. I also love the 77 design. The 72 & 75 designs I really like as well. For some strange reason I can't work up any love for the 71s. I typically like colored borders (like 71 and 75 in baseball), but the 71s just don't do it for me.
I just thought the 1971 set was too cartoonish for my liking.

The 78 set I thought was dull but totally understand a person's affections for the first set of cards they ever collected.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:41 PM
Jeff P

I started casually collecting football cards in 1972 but by 1973 I was obsessed with putting together the '73 set. My favorite player was Joe Namath and I used to use my allowance to buy 5 packs of cards every Sunday on our way home from church. I gotta confess that during the "moment of silence meditation and prayer" at church, I always prayed that I would pull Joe Willy out of a pack on the way home.

Lo and behold, one Sunday a miracle occurred! Here's the actual card I pulled. As you can tell, it's gotten a lot of love over the years. Diamond cut and all, it didn't matter in '73.

jeff
Old 12-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Robert

I guess my favorite set of the 70's football would have to be the 1971 Topps set. I just like the layout and design of them.

Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others

Last edited by Blackie; 12-13-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:53 AM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

I always thought these 1970's Football were pretty cool looking, especially back in the day.
Although if I had to pick one set from the 70's, it would probably be the 1971 Topps Football Issue.

Last edited by mojorob; 12-19-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:40 AM
Erik

Very nice Kirk...AGAIN!

I was never a huge fan of the 1970 Topps Football set even though back in the day when O.J. Simpson was my favorite player, his rookie card was in the set.

Years ago my future brother in-law gave me about half the set of 1969 Topps Football and a handful of 1970 Topps. I was so drawn to the colorful 1969 set and maybe that effected my view of the 1970 set.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:42 AM
Daniel Elsass

The 1972 set is nothing short of AMAZING with just so much WIN.

Favorite years (Topps primary sets): 72, 75, 77, and 78.

Favorite 1970's sets (non-Topps primary): 72 Sunoco and 70 Topps Glossy.

Really ramped up my collecting during the 77 and 78 seasons, I was nuts about Cowboys cards (my NFC team). That is also when I began collecting vintage football and baseball with a keen focus on 1950's items (not bad for a 10 year old).

My all-time favorite 70's football card is the 1975 Pruitt. As a Browns fan (my AFC team) I had always hoped that Mean Joe Green wouldn't catch and eat him (I was 8 years old).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Greg_Pruitt.jpg (63.4 KB, 163 views)
Old 12-21-2013, 10:38 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Padrino View Post
The 1972 set is nothing short of AMAZING with just so much WIN.

Favorite years (Topps primary sets): 72, 75, 77, and 78.

Favorite 1970's sets (non-Topps primary): 72 Sunoco and 70 Topps Glossy.

Really ramped up my collecting during the 77 and 78 seasons, I was nuts about Cowboys cards (my NFC team). That is also when I began collecting vintage football and baseball with a keen focus on 1950's items (not bad for a 10 year old).

My all-time favorite 70's football card is the 1975 Pruitt. As a Browns fan (my AFC team) I had always hoped that Mean Joe Green wouldn't catch and eat him (I was 8 years old).
No, not bad at all for a 10 year old. We must be the same age or just a year apart. That being said, as a 10 year old, I loved cards but other than the 1969 Topps Football cards I had, I was clueless about vintage cards at the time.

The Pruitt card is one of the BEST football cards of the 70s from an action and style standpoint IMHO.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Daniel Elsass

The 69 set is one of my all-time favorite sets ever. Not sure what it was about the set, but I simply love it. I have three complete sets in storage in Florida, one day when I get back to the US I need to dig all my stuff out.
Old 12-21-2013, 11:21 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Padrino View Post
The 69 set is one of my all-time favorite sets ever. Not sure what it was about the set, but I simply love it. I have three complete sets in storage in Florida, one day when I get back to the US I need to dig all my stuff out.
When I was about 9 or 10 my future brother in-law gave me at least half of the 1969 Topps FB set. I fell in love with the set right away and eventually completed the set in the 1980s.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:51 PM

Wow! Kirk

Those 70 cello boxes and packs are simply unreal!

I thought I spent fortunes on cards!

Ive spent years building the 70 football set (I prefer it over the 69 design wise)

I could never own anything like those unopened cello boxes Kirk, I would open them looking for the final cards on my list.

Ive probably built the 70 set a few times over through out the years. As usual finding high grade examples is getting harder all the time.

My one White Whale in the 70 set is card #147 Dave Osborn, A mint copy has been on my wantlist for almost 20 years now.

I still have 20-25 cards I would like to find centered NM-MT to MINT copies of and those unopened packs had me clawing at the screen!

The sets are never really done as my OCD keeps me always on the hunt for a better centered, sharper card.

Man! I can't even bring myself to go back and look at those unopened boxes and packs! It will send me into code blue! LOL
Phenomenal stuff you have there Kirk!

John

Last edited by BigRedOne; 12-21-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 02:30 PM
Erik

John...maybe Kirk is your long lost brother???
Old 12-21-2013, 03:49 PM

While we're on the 1970 Set, We can't forget to mention all of the great insert cards from that year.

Like The cheesey Poster Inserts, that some how grow on me.

Or the fantastic Glossy Inserts

For Some reason I have never gotten around to the SUPERS to totally complete a true Master set of 1970 Topps Football. I'll have to put that on my long list of things to do. LOL
Old 12-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Erik

Great inserts John. I think the posters are pretty cool.
Old 12-21-2013, 04:08 PM

OHHH and least we not forget the always beautiful 1970 Kellogs 3-D set

Yes The 1970 Set was a nice one! And one of my Favorites, But by now you guys know I pretty much say that about whatever set we're talking about.

I love em ALL!

Happy Holidays!

John
Old 12-21-2013, 04:37 PM
Erik

Yea, you do John and you always have some great cards and inserts to show us and I don't mind at all. In fact, I encourage you to show more cards and inserts please!
Old 12-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Erik

Was the 1970 Kelloggs available in cereal boxes or just sold as a set?
Old 12-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

WOW, The Big Red One Just Totally Lowers The Boom on the 1970 Topps & Kellogg's Football.
Those raw cards are just off the charts John.
You have got the 1970 year covered in over all Mintness!!!
So now I know what kind of collecting animal, we're dealing with here. lol

The 1970 Cello's I have pictured are not sealed, but they're in pack fresh condition.

I'll see if I can find a few scans of some of my other 1970 Football stuff to possibly compliment your beautiful arsonal posted above.
Have to try and at least hold up my end of the bargin, so we can both try and keep Erik some what entertained here.

The stack of insert posters on the right, have never been unfolded.
Back in the day, I had these plastered all over my bedroom walls.

Last edited by mojorob; 12-22-2013 at 07:37 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

These pictures were taken in the mourning light last Fall.

Last edited by mojorob; 12-21-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Old 12-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

I sent in about a quarter of the set to PSA for garding, mostly Star & Semi's and over all was very pleased with the results.

Last edited by mojorob; 12-22-2013 at 07:31 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Erik

WOW...WOW...WOW...

Kirk, seriously, you have a great collection as does John.

I really thank you both for sharing your collection. I don't have much right now and with very limited funds due to being unemployed right now, viewing all this really helps give me a "fix" so to speak.

I NEVER get tired of looking at these pictures of cards, packs, cello, inserts...DROOL!!!
Old 12-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

Erik,

Glad to be able to sprinkle a little Holiday Cheer your way.
I certainly appreciate the oppourtunity to show some of this stuff off to you guys.
It's part of what makes it fun.
Happy Holidays To You & Yours!!
Kirk

Last edited by mojorob; 12-22-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:24 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojorob View Post
Erik,

Glad to be able to sprinkle a little Holiday Cheer your way.
Happy Holidays To You & Yours!!
Another great display Kirk and Merry Christmas to you as well.

Last edited by Samsdaddy; 12-21-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:05 AM

Erik

Im a scanner junkie as well(as if you didn't already know)

Ive got three brother, but none of them were into the cards like I was when we were kids. With the kind of steller collection Kirk has been posting I would adopted him anyday as a Brother. I would even encourage him to keep his cards in my room!

As for how the Kelloggs cards were issued Im not sure, but I assume they could be had in the cereal boxes. Maybe Kirk has more insight on that.

I carefully scanned over the 70's pics you posted Kirk and did not see my White whale card, Dave Osborn #147

Also wanted to ask just how you came to have so much product like that?
It would certainly cost one a small fortune to aquire unopened boxes of 1970 product in todays crazy market. Im not even sure where one would find that kind of stuff. Kirk?

John
Old 12-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne View Post
Erik

Im a scanner junkie as well(as if you didn't already know)

Ive got three brother, but none of them were into the cards like I was when we were kids. With the kind of steller collection Kirk has been posting I would adopted him anyday as a Brother. I would even encourage him to keep his cards in my room!

As for how the Kelloggs cards were issued Im not sure, but I assume they could be had in the cereal boxes. Maybe Kirk has more insight on that.

I carefully scanned over the 70's pics you posted Kirk and did not see my White whale card, Dave Osborn #147

Also wanted to ask just how you came to have so much product like that?
It would certainly cost one a small fortune to aquire unopened boxes of 1970 product in todays crazy market. Im not even sure where one would find that kind of stuff. Kirk?

John
You, a scanner junkie John??? I never noticed.

I, for one, am glad you are a scanner junkie. Keep it up!

Between the two of you and your collections, we might never see you both as all you would do is look at your stuff. I would not blame you as that is what I would do for hours on end.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:26 AM

What the heck, I forgot to put a few pics in my last post!!

Your killing me softly with those pics of yours Kirk

Leroy Kelly was one of the Great backs in history, Problem was he was Jim Browns replacement.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Erik

Nice cards John.

Another question for you though on the Kelloggs cards. How do you store them? They are notorious for curling so I would not think you would put them in binders. Top loaders? I can't stand top loaders myself though I have a set of cards in them. I prefer the Card Saver 1's but not sure they would help with Kelloggs cards in keeping them flat.