NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Default Any advice on putting a collection together.

Posted By: Charlie O'Neal

I have put together a list of cards I would like to attain for my collection over the next 30 years. The collection I would like to put together seems pretty daunting at first but hope with a good game plan and luck that this can be accomplished.

It seems when I want to put something together for my collection. I jump out of the gates running in a full sprint. A short time later I get discouraged at what I am trying to collect, b/c of people putting in high snipes on eBay or people trying to sell $1 for $5. This normally results in me selling a chunk of cards that I bought b/c I begin to feel overwhelmed and discouraged.

I am aware that some of you have amassed very nice collections. I would greatly appreciate any advice you’re willing to give on putting together a collection without getting burned out and discouraged during the process. I have listed what I would like to add to my collection below. If you have any ideas or thought about how to go about collecting these it would be greatly appreciated. There are some very difficult cards are listed below, which would require luck in finishing this collection.

The list in no particular order:
T206 Southern League (plan on completing this by the end of the year)
T206 HOFers
T206 Top 10 rarest cards
HOFers that were elected their first time on ballot (one card of each, some are RC’s)
Ty Cobb leaning on bat

*All T206’s to be graded SGC 40

I appreciate all your advice in advance.

Charlie

Old 01-18-2007, 06:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

The best advice I could give you is to be patient, persistent and not easily discouraged. You need to maintain your focus -- if you have "no particular order" for your collection, you might want to just collect T206 SL'ers and HOF'ers as they become available to you. Then move to the "Top 10 rarest cards," by which I am guessing you do not mean Wagner, Plank or Doyle. If you keep to your game plan and don't set time limits for your collection, I don't think you'll be discouraged -- you should be rewarded.

Take care. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Charlie,

If you are already planning for the next 30 years, you are already way ahead of the game. I have trouble planning for the next 5 years.

The thing I love about vintage cards is that you can always sell some cards in order to obtain cash so that you are able to collect the cards you really want. Also, there are some dealers that will give you layaway plans if you are a good customer of theirs.

The best of luck to you in building your collection.

Peter

Old 01-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Collect what you like and what you can afford. Some people just collect a certain team, certain player, certain set, or even certain position. Its good you have a direction plan, but dont make a goal that is so far away because you likes and wants will change the more you follow vintage cards.

25 years ago I started off going only for T206 and R319 and going for the sets, but within a couple years I completely changed directions. I didnt like the fact that the cards were so easy to find Since then, I always have been interested in the "Have you seen one of these?" cards.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Be patient. Have fun. Don't get addicted like a lot of the rest of us have ....It's a great hobby 99% of the time....and welcome to "our" world.....