NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-17-2019, 06:10 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Default Juan Soto (Nationals) or Ronald Acuna (Braves)?

I'm a born and raised Braves fan, but I would take Soto over this guy without hesitation.....Acuna is too much of a clown.....
Old 09-17-2019, 08:42 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
I'm a born and raised Braves fan, but I would take Soto over this guy without hesitation.....Acuna is too much of a clown.....

easy there Kevin...he's just a kid having fun...but...

180K for 100M seems steep.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-17-2019, 09:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

There is some serious young talent in baseball right now, Acuna, Soto, Torres, Vlad Jr., Tatis Jr., Bellinger.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-17-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:07 AM

Kevin - looks like you are right...another incident with Acuna last night.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-19-2019, 11:16 AM

I think Acuna is the superior player but I'd rather have Soto on my team.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

I think Acuna will be fine, he has some maturing to do I suppose but so did a young Griffey Jr.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:18 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Kevin - looks like you are right...another incident with Acuna last night.
What happened last night besides Albies swinging on the first pitch twice with Acuna on first and not giving him a chance to run?
Old 09-19-2019, 12:26 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

As a Mets fan, I've seen enough of both

I would take Soto.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:51 PM
qu@n nguy3n

acuna has more tools, soto is the superior batter. i'd take acuna.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:07 PM
Peter Spaeth

#40 today for Acuna, and only 3 steals away from being the first clean 40 40 player ever.

Old 09-19-2019, 08:50 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
#40 today for Acuna, and only 3 steals away from being the first clean 40 40 player ever.
Nah asterisk still meeded...something is juiced for sure this year.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:13 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
I agree with that Peter...He is also the third player ever to hit 40 homeruns in a season at age 21 or younger (Mel Ott, Eddie Mathews) He strikes out way too much though, especially for a lead off hitter (188 this year)
Old 09-20-2019, 03:25 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I agree with that Peter...He is also the third player ever to hit 40 homeruns in a season at age 21 or younger (Mel Ott, Eddie Mathews) He strikes out way too much though, especially for a lead off hitter (188 this year)
I don't understand this new thing of having a power hitter lead off. It seems gimmicky and not calculated to score the most runs for the team. If I have a 40 HR guy I want him hitting 3rd or 4th.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-20-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Has Soriano been confirmed as a PED guy?
Old 09-20-2019, 04:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Has Soriano been confirmed as a PED guy?
Not confirmed, but I thought he was at least strongly suspected and was on one of those leaked lists (2003 maybe?). Perhaps that's wrong.

Old 09-21-2019, 03:16 AM
Ryan Inns

I agree that something has been going on with the baseballs over the past several years in the MLB. They introduced the MLB ball to AAA this year and their home run count jumped 50% and is tracking to an all time record.

I am a Braves fan so gotta pick Acuna between the two but to be honest I would much rather have Freeman or Albies before considering Acuna.

Last edited by MrPosadas; 09-21-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPosadas View Post
I agree that something has been going on with the baseballs over the past several years in the MLB. They introduced the MLB ball to AAA this year and their home run count jumped 50% and is tracking to an all time record.

I am a Braves fan so gotta pick Acuna between the two but to be honest I would much rather have Freeman or Olbies before considering Acuna.
I'm a Donaldson fan too...even though he consistently has the worst haircuts in MLB.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:36 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
I'm a Donaldson fan too...even though he consistently has the worst haircuts in MLB.
I will say this about the Braves. When you look at their line up 1-4, I dont know that I've seen a better one in several years..... Acuna, Albies, Freeman, Donaldson......
Old 09-21-2019, 05:43 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
I will say this about the Braves. When you look at their line up 1-4, I dont know that I've seen a better one in several years..... Acuna, Albies, Freeman, Donaldson......
uhhh the ws favorite, houston? springer altuve bregman alvarez/correa.

acuna still learning the strike zone, that's why i said soto is the better hitter. if you put soto batting discipline with the rest of acuna's game...well you get a flashy mike trout that's really marketable!

p.s. it's pretty nutty braves fans that watch braves games every day would rather have ozzie albies and josh donaldson than RONALD ACUNA JR...lol!

Last edited by chaddurbin; 09-21-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
uhhh the ws favorite, houston? springer altuve bregman alvarez/correa.

acuna still learning the strike zone, that's why i said soto is the better hitter. if you put soto batting discipline with the rest of acuna's game...well you get a flashy mike trout that's really marketable!

p.s. it's pretty nutty braves fans that watch braves games every day would rather have ozzie albies and josh donaldson than RONALD ACUNA JR...lol!
Houston is a sick team between their lineup and starting pitching. I can't believe they picked up Greinke.

Old 09-22-2019, 09:38 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Soto's higher on base percentage makes him a more valuable hitter than Acuna at this point.

Both are putting up historic numbers for players their age. Their career will depend on if they continue to take steps forward, if they plateau, or if this represents the peak for either player.

Either way, both are super exciting. Acuna is putting up flashier numbers (little more power and has the power/speed thing going), which Soto is more solid at this point.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:10 AM
Bill Gregory

Nobody at all talking about Keston Hiura of the Brewers. He needs to keep working on his defense, but the kid can flat hit. I’m not sure how a second baseman that’s hit .303 with 51 runs, 23 doubles, 19 home runs, 49 RBI, 9/12 stolen bases, and a slash line of .368/.570/.938 with a 138 OPS+ is worth only 2.1 bWAR in 84 games, but the kid’s a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:27 AM

He's overshadowed by better infielders. There's no one better than Gleyber. Can't understand how Jeter owned New York doing what he did and Gleyber barely gets any air time.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:46 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Nobody at all talking about Keston Hiura of the Brewers. He needs to keep working on his defense, but the kid can flat hit. I’m not sure how a second baseman that’s hit .303 with 51 runs, 23 doubles, 19 home runs, 49 RBI, 9/12 stolen bases, and a slash line of .368/.570/.938 with a 138 OPS+ is worth only 2.1 bWAR in 84 games, but the kid’s a beast.

I traded and got Hiura for Austin Riley after Riley hit his 15th homer...what a deal..
Old 10-02-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
I traded and got Hiura for Austin Riley after Riley hit his 15th homer...what a deal..
Great timing, Jake!

Riley and Duvall both worked over the Major League Balls in AAA and for a while did the same in the 'Show', but major league pitchers usually find your weaknesses - or limitations- quicker than you can adjust.

Last edited by clydepepper; 10-02-2019 at 07:20 PM. Reason: statistical correction
Old 10-04-2019, 02:08 PM

Kevin- I believe I've come up with a fool-proof plan for Acuna's future plate appearances:

put the bunt sign on! - every time - let's see him stand and watch that!

Last edited by clydepepper; 10-04-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 02:57 PM
Ryan Inns

Trying to process how Acuna, after being benched earlier in the season for stargazing, continues to hit and admire his ball with googly eyes in a post season game. Where is the hustle??

Don’t care he hit a dinger in the 9th. We lost the game. Again, give me Freeman, Albies, or Donaldson instead of this lollygagger.
Old 10-04-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPosadas View Post
Trying to process how Acuna, after being benched earlier in the season for stargazing, continues to hit and admire his ball with googly eyes in a post season game. Where is the hustle??

Don’t care he hit a dinger in the 9th. We lost the game. Again, give me Freeman, Albies, or Donaldson instead of this lollygagger.

Bring in Brett Butler to show him how to lay down a proper bunt...even Billy Hamilton isn't fast enough to stand and admire one of those.

Old 10-04-2019, 04:40 PM

on the other hand...how would you act if you were 21-years-old and someone handed you $100 Million?

I DO know I would have eaten out EVERY night!

but, I do like to think I would have done everything I could not to 'kill that golden goose'.

Old 10-24-2019, 03:51 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
He's overshadowed by better infielders. There's no one better than Gleyber. Can't understand how Jeter owned New York doing what he did and Gleyber barely gets any air time.
Gleyber Torres .278 AVG, 38 HR in 546 AB (1:14.37), .337 OBP/.535 SLG/.871 OPS, 128 OPS+
Keston Hiura .303 AVG, 19 HR In 314 AB (1:16.53), .368 OBP/.570 SLG/.938 OPS, 138 OPS+

Torres is in his second year, and Hiura his first. Hiura's numbers are better as a rook than Torres' are in his second season.

138 OPS+ > 128 OPS+
.303 AVG > .278 AVG
.368 OBP > .337 OBP
.570 SLG > .535 SLG

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Through the first two World Series games, the answer is becoming more and more obvious.

Old 10-24-2019, 12:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Through the first two World Series games, the answer is becoming more and more obvious.
It's two games. It may be years before we know who will have the better career. Right now I would still guess Acuna.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 10-24-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Gleyber Torres .278 AVG, 38 HR in 546 AB (1:14.37), .337 OBP/.535 SLG/.871 OPS, 128 OPS+
Keston Hiura .303 AVG, 19 HR In 314 AB (1:16.53), .368 OBP/.570 SLG/.938 OPS, 138 OPS+

Torres is in his second year, and Hiura his first. Hiura's numbers are better as a rook than Torres' are in his second season.

138 OPS+ > 128 OPS+
.303 AVG > .278 AVG
.368 OBP > .337 OBP
.570 SLG > .535 SLG

Man, I just did not realize you were a Brewers homer in the Yelich thread. I highly doubt there are very many GMs in baseball who would choose Hiura over Gleyber. Come on, man.
Old 10-24-2019, 01:45 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Man, I just did not realize you were a Brewers homer in the Yelich thread. I highly doubt there are very many GMs in baseball who would choose Hiura over Gleyber. Come on, man.

Juan’s are a dime a dozen and Acura is a
Junior, but if you’ve seen one Gleyber, you’ve seen them all.

I do believe this is a true statement.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-24-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Juan’s are a dime a dozen and Acura is a
Junior, but if you’ve seen one Gleyber, you’ve seen them all.

I do believe this is a true statement.

ACUNA is a junior, Acura is a sedan.

Thanks, I'll be here all week.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:56 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:

And I just did not realize you were one that would resort to ad hominem attacks when you couldn’t make a fact based argument.

When the math doesn’t work for ya, you can always go the hyperbole route, though, right.?

“I highly doubt there are very many GMs in baseball who would choose Hiura over Gleyber. Come on, man.”

Translation: “I’ve got nothing, because Hiura’s offensive numbers, except for a small difference in home run rate, are better across the board as a rookie than Gleyber’s in his second season.

Maybe Gleyber ends up being the better player in the long run. But in this discussion, you’re flat wrong. Sorry. I merely mentioned that it was curious nobody was discussing the 17th ranked prospect in baseball per Baseball America, who just had a lights out rookie season as an offensive second baseman. You came back with this dismissive response that nobody was better than Gleyber-as if Gleyber’s mere existence somehow precluded another player from even being mentioned-and, I simply showed your statement as being factually inaccurate.

Then you decided to act like a dbag.

I’m sorry if comparative mathematics is beyond your purview. But I’m not going to lower myself to your level.

Last edited by the 'stache; 12-23-2019 at 11:02 AM.