NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-04-2009, 07:04 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Default 1887-1987 Detroit Tigers Pin

I picked up this 3" pin at a garage sale and on the side of the pin it reads 1987 Domino's Pizza. As you can see it reads Detroit Tigers 1887-1987. The Tigers didn't start until 1901 so who is the team pictured on the pin?

Last edited by D. Broughman; 06-10-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Joe M.

This is the Detroit Wolverines, I could tell you more, but on my way out to golf. Joe G. will have more answers if he reads this, also Jay probably will have some answers.

Joe m.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:11 AM
Max Weder

No idea here, as the only thing I could think of was the Detroit Wolverines but they only played in the NL from 1881 to 1888 http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/DTN/

Max
Old 06-04-2009, 07:23 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Default Detroit Wolverines

Joe G. came to my house to see my 1889 Trophyball and I forgot to show him this pin. He was showing me some of his collection and talking about their Old Judge book. Very interesting book and the storys he told me of his collection and putting the book together were great. I have seen Detroit Wolverine pictures but not this one. I've seen Kalamazoo Bat pictures too but they are different. D.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Mark

For sure it's late 1880's Det NL, with mgr Bill Watkins (1885-1888). I don't have that exact same photo - but many faces match the photos I have. It should not be too hard to ID the players. It could very well be 1887. Of course they have nothing at all to do with the Detroit Tigers.

top row:
Jack Rowe - ? - Ned Hanlon - Ed Beatin
mid row:
Deacon White - ? - Dan Brouthers - Billy Shindle(maybe) - Sam Thompson - Charlie Ganzell - Lady Baldwin
front row:
Charlie Getzien - Larry Twitchell - Bill Watkins - Hardy Richardson - Charlie Bennett

Last edited by bmarlowe1; 06-04-2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Dynarl Broughman

Tom Monaghan owned Domino's Pizza and the Detroit Tigers at this time. I was wondering if these pins were ever given out at the ball game or at Domino's Pizza anyone know? D.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Vincent Hecksel

Default 1887 Detroit Wolverines

I'd guess that the pin is one commemorating the 100th Anniversary of what could be the City of Detroit's first recognized baseball-related "National Championship" team.

I view the pin as one based more on civic pride, as well as one seeped in the excitement Tiger fans continued to experience in 1987. After winning a World Championship in 1984, the 1987 team generated much of the same hope, and by the end of the season, a division-winning team in 1987.

It wouldn't be unexpected (would it ?) for someone to promote the possibility of baseball championships 100 years apart for a given community. In this case, it's Detroit. And the Detroit owner was not one to miss an advertising opportunity, or spending afew dollars to promote his team and city.

Just my guess on why the reason for the creation of this pin.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Hello D.,

Nice pin, I've seen them before but do not have one myself (doesn't really fit my collection). The image was originally taken by Frank N Tomlinson in early 1888 (April). The 1888 team photo seems the rarest of the three years (1886, 1887, & 1888). Detroit had pin-stripe uniforms that final year (you may or may not be able to make that out on the pin). I do not have access to my reference material but I can identify all the players with fairly high confidence (Mark got most of them):

Rowe, Conway, Hanlon, Beatin

White, Sutcliffe, Brouthers, Gruber, Thompson, Ganzel, Baldwin

Getzien, Twitchell, Watkins, Richardson, Bennett

On a parallel, within days of this team photo, Baldwin, Conway, Getzien, Scheibeck (not in team photo), and White were photographed by Fearnaught Studio (Indianapolis). These images would be used by Goodwin and Company in 1888 to introduce these players to the Old Judge baseball card issue.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 06-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Mark

Great info Joe. Has the photo been published anywhere?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:31 AM
Dynarl Broughman

Default Thanks for all the info

Very interesting information! Thanks Joe G. and everyone for your input. D.