NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-11-2019, 09:05 PM

Default How strong do you think our hobby will stay?

I ask this question because for example in regards to HOF players, most of this generation that collects meaning the younger collectors, know and collect mike trout, ronald acuna jr , albert pujols, bryce harper, yadier molina, justin verlander, etc but some dont even know who hank aaron, willie mays or nolan ryan are! (true story) of course we all do, but the new generation can care less about a booby doerr autograph or a bob feller autograph or a luis aparicio autograph, they want a trout or harper autograph! so do you think for those that collect HOF autographs there will be much of a market for them in the future as there seems to be less and less of the younger collects that collect them like we do. what do you think?
Old 05-11-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunhitter View Post
I ask this question because for example in regards to HOF players, most of this generation that collects meaning the younger collectors, know and collect mike trout, ronald acuna jr , albert pujols, bryce harper, yadier molina, justin verlander, etc but some dont even know who hank aaron, willie mays or nolan ryan are! (true story) of course we all do, but the new generation can care less about a booby doerr autograph or a bob feller autograph or a luis aparicio autograph, they want a trout or harper autograph! so do you think for those that collect HOF autographs there will be much of a market for them in the future as there seems to be less and less of the younger collects that collect them like we do. what do you think?
When I was a young collector in the 90's I only cared about Frank Thomas and Ken Griffey Jr. As I got older and matured I of course still cared about those players but grew to have an appreciation for the Ruth's, Mays, Aaron's, Koufax's etc.
I think thats the way it will always be.
Old 05-11-2019, 11:32 PM
Curt

"Booby" is weeping in his grave right now...

Quote:
the new generation can care less about a booby doerr autograph
Old 05-12-2019, 07:40 AM
Michael

I have also posed the same question. The non HOFers will lose interest. I do not think there wil be many 1954 Bowman set collectors for example. In general collecting is down. How many of the young folks collect stamps and coins? There will be some HOF completist collectors but overall numbers may drop. mantle, dimaggio, jackie, willie, babe etc will hold strong. Not sure about Doerr, Marquard, Rousch etc. Only time will tell
Old 05-12-2019, 08:27 AM

It's the same thing for Hollywood autographs or football autographs - you can get a Jim Brown for cheap, arguably the greatest football player ever. But Tom Brady is expensive. Point is that it's not just baseball, or sports only. It seems to be a progressive shift of generations.

Last edited by Case12; 05-12-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 08:59 PM

I think autographs as a hobby will remain popular, and even obscure ones can retain interest if they are displayed well.

A 3x5 in an authentication slab is ok, but that same signature, framed and matted with a period photo can be beautiful and interesting.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:05 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I've tried to come up with some sort of logic on this. There are things that one can point to such as players who you saw live, players your parents saw and may have spoken about fondly etc, but can't really figure it out. I know some have looked at trends for other hobbies such as stamp and coin collecting (both of which I know almost no one who has any interest in... though that just be the people I know).

Obviously, I think time will tell. I do find that as people get older many collectors of newer cards or items start to appreciate the older stuff.
Old 05-13-2019, 10:32 PM
Sean McGinty

I think the values of autographs will collapse except for stuff with rock solid provenances in the near future. The forgery problem is going to be harder to get around once AI machines that can duplicate handwriting like this one become cheap enough for everyone to own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsZH7SS_lfQ
Old 05-14-2019, 09:20 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
I think the values of autographs will collapse except for stuff with rock solid provenances in the near future. The forgery problem is going to be harder to get around once AI machines that can duplicate handwriting like this one become cheap enough for everyone to own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsZH7SS_lfQ
Similar machine signed fakes are already in play. It's really just a computer driven version of an Autopen. They are detectable if you know what to look for.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:09 AM
Mark

I'm not too concerned about future demand for early vintage autographs. Those signatures are works of art. Any sports fan can easily recognize the signature and appreciate the history behind it.

Autographs of current day athletes are another story. These signatures are rarely more than a quick scribble. I don't see the same mass appeal for these.

Last edited by cfhofer; 05-14-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:20 PM
Jeff Lazarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfhofer View Post
I'm not too concerned about future demand for early vintage autographs. Those signatures are works of art. Any sports fan can easily recognize the signature and appreciate the history behind it.

Autographs of current day athletes are another story. These signatures are rarely more than a quick scribble. I don't see the same mass appeal for these.
I'm not sure that the reason people buy autographs is for the aesthetics of the signature (though I am sure some do). I think the bigger issue with modern items is that the players sign insane amounts of items, and everything remotely connected to each player or game is saved, so finding things that are legitimately rare will be tough in my opinion.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:01 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

I think signed cards will appreciate more. As it is now simple to find any card on Ebay, the hunt for a tougher challenge presents itself.

Also, errors and variation, much like the coin market, will appreciate more.

My modest opinion

"Trolling Ebay right now" ©
Old 05-14-2019, 07:23 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
Similar machine signed fakes are already in play. It's really just a computer driven version of an Autopen. They are detectable if you know what to look for.
Yes, but it won't be long before developers figure out what autograph experts look for and figure out a way of spoofing that too.

I mean, if its a vintage Ty Cobb signed in ink 100 years ago that would be an obvious difficulty. But for contemporary players using contemporary ink on contemporary material? That is going to be easy.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:03 PM

Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate them as as you bring up some very good points. Before reading these this thread, I was leaning toward collecting HOF factory certified autographs because companies like PSA are just one big scandal away from making all those slabbed autographs worthless! and i thought i would be safe with lets say topps certified autographs because after all Topps is Topps! if you cant trust Topps who can you trust in our hobby, was my thinking and logic. my thought is the day that the hobby cant trust a company like Topps is the day that i feel the hobby will no longer be.(who in their right mind would want to collect then) PSA is just an "opinion" service and if Topps cant be trusted, why collect autographs?
Old 05-15-2019, 10:20 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Thank you all for your responses, I appreciate them as as you bring up some very good points. Before reading these this thread, I was leaning toward collecting HOF factory certified autographs because companies like PSA are just one big scandal away from making all those slabbed autographs worthless! and i thought i would be safe with lets say topps certified autographs because after all Topps is Topps! if you cant trust Topps who can you trust in our hobby, was my thinking and logic. my thought is the day that the hobby cant trust a company like Topps is the day that i feel the hobby will no longer be.(who in their right mind would want to collect then) PSA is just an "opinion" service and if Topps cant be trusted, why collect autographs?
Wow, very sad! Sorry you feel that way
Collect what you enjoy
Old 05-18-2019, 04:07 PM

It is sad that the autograph hobby if filled with so many fakes (I read online that an estimated 75% of all autographs in our hobby are fake) how can I enjoy what I collect when all it takes is one bad scandal and everything touched by PSA or Beckett would be worthless? And now from what Iím reading we canít even trust companies like Topps or Upper Deck in regards to autographs being real. Either players having their friends and girlfriends signing their autographs, to companies not actually witnessing players signing (sending players stacks of cards or sticker sheets to sign) to now crooks using high speed printers to print out autographed cards with factory authentication stamps on them. Is anyone else worried about the direction autograph authentication is going in our hobby?
Old 05-19-2019, 12:46 AM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
It is sad that the autograph hobby if filled with so many fakes (I read online that an estimated 75% of all autographs in our hobby are fake) how can I enjoy what I collect when all it takes is one bad scandal and everything touched by PSA or Beckett would be worthless? And now from what Iím reading we canít even trust companies like Topps or Upper Deck in regards to autographs being real. Either players having their friends and girlfriends signing their autographs, to companies not actually witnessing players signing (sending players stacks of cards or sticker sheets to sign) to now crooks using high speed printers to print out autographed cards with factory authentication stamps on them. Is anyone else worried about the direction autograph authentication is going in our hobby?
If PSA or JSA or Beckett or ABC or whomever get rocked by scandal all you have to do to stuff they've "touched" is crack the slabs. It's not hard and takes less than a minute generally. If it's stickered just remove that if you choose, some are harder than others but they all come off.

You don't really seem like you are gung ho on collecting autographs, so don't. It's not everyone's cup of tea and that's perfectly fine.

Find something you enjoy and that doesn't worry you. Collecting is much more fun that way.

Good luck,

Mike
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
Chuck Tapia

As it is, PSA encases trimmed cards and give their top submitter's preferential treatment for grades and letting them flip cases like they flip hamburgers at Tommies.

E bay sells & PROMOTES fake autographs. Their call center is in the Philippines. What do you think the future is?

I think a nice little recession and PSA turning into GAI will take care of everything.

Last edited by Fuddjcal; Yesterday at 09:55 AM.
Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro View Post
If PSA or JSA or Beckett or ABC or whomever get rocked by scandal all you have to do to stuff they've "touched" is crack the slabs. It's not hard and takes less than a minute generally. If it's stickered just remove that if you choose, some are harder than others but they all come off.

You don't really seem like you are gung ho on collecting autographs, so don't. It's not everyone's cup of tea and that's perfectly fine.

Find something you enjoy and that doesn't worry you. Collecting is much more fun that way.

Good luck,

Mike
enjoy cracking the slabs that hold all your trimmed cards...LOL
Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM
Mike Navarro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
enjoy cracking the slabs that hold all your trimmed cards...LOL
I won't lose any sleep over it. It's a hobby and this stuff is not the Magna Carta. People take this hobby way too seriously.