NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-18-2017, 11:15 AM
Scott S

Default Lections set on eBay

Pretty cool auction ended on eBay a little while ago today - a raw set of 10 Lections cards. They were mostly in pretty rough shape as is usually the case with these, but I can't imagine there have been many other complete sets pop up (other than maybe the original find).

Anyone here get the lot? I bid but was well short of the final tally, as I expected. It was neat nonetheless to see something like this pop up on eBay!

Lections on eBay
Old 09-18-2017, 12:43 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
Pretty cool auction ended on eBay a little while ago today - a raw set of 10 Lections cards. They were mostly in pretty rough shape as is usually the case with these, but I can't imagine there have been many other complete sets pop up (other than maybe the original find).

Anyone here get the lot? I bid but was well short of the final tally, as I expected. It was neat nonetheless to see something like this pop up on eBay!

Lections on eBay
I was the under-bidder. I would have kept it intact if I had won and perhaps gone for some of the color variations down the road. I thought that this was an incredible lot and still think the winner got a deal, despite all the hole-punches and other condition flaws. The description of the lot was also very interesting, as I hadn't heard of this possibility of where the set had come from and been distributed prior to this auction listing. Here's the description:

This is an extremely rare vintage original Lections series complete set of ten baseball cards dating to 1923. Little is known of these extraordinary cards and amazingly no one even knew that the Lections series existed until a group of just 28 surfaced in Albany, New York in 1997. Many collectors think the cards accompanied candy or gum as a premium. However, according to one collector, he acquired a set from a gentleman who remembered getting the cards at a state or county fair from local Upstate politicians running for office. Adults attending the fair/rally were given Election cards showing the candidate and the children were given a "Lection" card depicting a famous baseball player of the day. Since the cards were only handed out over the duration of a local fair (just a few days), their existence is very scarce and as such very rare.

All from a single Upstate New York estate, this complete set includes the following:

~"Babe" Ruth, New York Yankees
~Rogers Hornsby, St. Louis Cardinals
~Howard Ehmke, Boston Red Sox
~Frankie Frisch, New York Giants
~Charles Jameson, Cleveland Indians
~Charles Schmidt, Pittsburgh Pirates
~"Bob" Meusel, New York Yankees
~Emil Meusel, New York Giants
~"Bob" Shawkey, New York Yankees
~Frank Chance, Chicago White Sox
~We also include three Election cards from local Albany area political races from the same era as the "Lections" cards.

Condition: Please examine the images for the best indication of condition. There is toning, creases, wrinkles, and punch holes to each card. The Rogers Hornsby card is taped in a few places. The Shawkey card has blue and red crayon coloring. We are not experts in grading baseball trading cards. Please feel free to contact us with any specific questions regarding these cards. We will do our best to accurately answer your questions.

Card Dimensions:The Lections cards are 4 x 2 1/2". There are variations in size from card to card due to use, tears, losses, and wear. The Election cards are 2 1/4" across.

This truly uncommon complete set of cards will make an exceptional addition to your collection.
Region of Origin: America
Price Comparison: $1500+ at antiques gallery

9CA M23031K

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)
Old 09-18-2017, 01:18 PM
Scott S

Too bad, Derek - that would've been a great group, and absolutely hope the winner keeps it together!

I had heard the story about the cards being election giveaways once before as well - I wish we could get more background on why all the hole punches on most copies of these though!
Old 09-18-2017, 01:33 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

I'm confused by the bidding, the top bid and the next bid, shouldn't the under-bidder be a smaller increment below the top bidder, like in pix # 2 of a different auction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BIDDING.jpg (16.3 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg BIDDING 2.jpg (19.3 KB, 225 views)
Old 09-18-2017, 01:35 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

So Derek if you were the under-bidder what was your bid? the $2178.00?
Old 09-18-2017, 01:37 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Shoot....nevermind now I see the 2nd highest bid, is actually listed in the 3 hole at 3877.77, weird, never seen it like that before.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:50 PM
Scott S

The bids appeared in that same order for me as well - not sure why they weren't biggest to smallest....