NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-26-2008, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Default Whose Collection Would You Like to Have?

Posted By: D. C. Markel

Looking through the various registries, there are some amazing collections out there. Owning some of these cards seemed at one time a fantasy for many of us, but now with Barack Obama having a shot as President of the United States, with his "spread the wealth around" platform and his redistribution of wealth position as articulated here,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iivL4c_3pck

"Joe Collector" now may have an opportunity to own of these otherwise unobtainable cards and collections. Whose cards or collection would you like to have? As for myself, I'd be happy to get just a 1955 Topps Clemente PSA 9 (or 10).

Old 10-27-2008, 06:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Don Spence.

Staggering collection--has surpassed Fogel and Merkel and probably Louchios.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: doug goodman

I am super happy having my own collection.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

I'm with Doug, because the blood, sweat and tears and decision making that go with collecting is hand-in-hand with the collection.

But in the spirit of the question, what was the name of that Chicago businessman (Tribune trustee guy, if I remember correctly) who at one time owned The Card? Even without that Wagner, he seemed to have a lot of oddball and esoteric stuff, uncut sheets, etc.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

When I read this thread/post I said the same thing to myself. Mine is perfectly fine with me....and it's a wonderful work in progress.....

Old 10-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Paul - Was it Gidwitz or something like that ?

Old 10-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: marty q

"""mine""" and only mine!!! bulit by me the way i like it, to even put another persons collection down as one i would want is selling myself way to short.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

I'd be happy with one of the PSA 10 1952 Topps Mantles!

Old 10-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I can think of at least two card collections that are truly extraordinary but I do not think the owners would like me to post their names here so I can't answer directly.

I don't know of anyone whose boxing exhibit card collection I'd trade for mine.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 10-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff S.

Michael Gidwitz was the owner of The Card at one time - I believe he was the first to sell it for $1mill+. His site is worth checking out:

http://www.preciouspaper.com/

Old 10-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

Alan and Jeff,

Yes, thanks, that's the guy. And thanks for that link. I see that now that he's selling it off I have the option to own a part of it (once I sell the house and move into a shotgun shack.)

I sort of share his collecting sensibilites even if I can't share his income. I thought he was a pretty straight up guy, for a person in his position and as portrayed in the book, and his eventual disgust with the collecting racket is understandable. I can get why much of that stuff was stored in a separate locked room, but the idea that he couldn't display anything in his regular living space because his "guests" would rip him off really threw me.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

at first blush, I started thinking about other folks' collections, but then I realized that my answer was going to be different.
The colelction is just stuff. It is the locating, dealing and amassing of the stuff wherein lies the fun, and this is how it becomes your own.

So I would like to instead be able to continue with my own collecting, with a million dedicated dollars to spend, and see where it takes me!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Dead on the nose, Jason. Getting there is 90% of the fun.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 11-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Jason,

I think most collectors feel like you do that the thrill is in the chase--locating and amassing the collection.

With me its exactly the opposite--I love the hobby as much as anyone but the "thrill of the chase" I can do without. To me the thrill is having the collection itself--if someone gave me the choice of which I choose amassing the 1952 Topps set card by card in PSA 8 or I can just buy it in one fell swoop there is no doubt which one I would pick. Same goes for any set.

Jim

Old 11-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Some people enjoy the hunt more than the acquisition. Others enjoy the acquisition more than the hunt. You have to find what works for you.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

I am really somewhere in the middle.

I chose to answer that way just because while I think (would love to know someday!)buying someone else's entire collection in one transaction would be fun, --what I was really trying to convey was that I don't think I would feel quite as attached to those items as I would for those which I had to research, go looking for, and finally acquire after a few unsuccessful attempts.

But it's all just a fun guess!