NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Mark Rios

Default D310 Pacific Coast Biscuit Tint/Color Question

Over the years I have noticed that some of my D310's are either green in tint
or a not so pretty black n' white-ish.

I wanted to know if you guys know or think, that each card in the set came in
either tint.

Or were they part of some freaky color print run for a period of time.

Or, just maybe some of the cards were issued at different times and the ink used was available then and not later...and vice versa.

IMHO, the subtle green tint is far more pleasing on the eye.

Mark
Old 12-03-2009, 07:07 AM

Default D310

Unfortunately no definitive answers here (I should have been paying closer attention on these). Mark M. had an article on the set in the VCBC magazine 7-8 years ago, but I don't remember the tints being discussed in detail...perhaps Mark will chime in with some info.

By the way, I find the black/white (actually greyish) tint cards just as attractive.

Brian
Old 12-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default handled a few

I have probably handled about 30-40 of these and never really remembered any rhyme nor reason for the tinting, though I thought it was neat. Personally I think this is an undervalued set.....best regards

Both of these.....From the Trucker Boy find..So I am the 2nd owner of them....big cards were $60 ea....small cards were $20 (T217's etc..)...and Zeenuts with Coupons- early years and all....$82 ea....However, all Weaver cards were $600 ea......He knew what he had.....Maybe Mark M will chime in on the tinting.....?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg pd310weaver.jpg (47.9 KB, 284 views)
Old 12-03-2009, 11:00 AM

Default D310 whippersnappers

Maybe, if asked in polite fashion, I might just be able to provide a listing of the players/colors that I know exist for this set, and then others can chime in on what they have, and we can see what patterns unfold.

Ok, no need to ask, just might take a few days.

Brian
Old 12-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Mark Macrae

Default A Wide Range of colors

The large biscuits traditionally come in a wide range of hues. I believe that there are two principle contributing factors to this. #1) There was a range at the time they were printed... #2) There are numerous variables in how or where the cards have been stored for the last 100 years. Similar to sepia toned Zeenuts, exposure to sunlight, offset lighting , and UV rays can and will alter the appearance of the cards over time. Building a set in 'matched' hue will be very tough, unless you place your cards in the Arizona desert , face up, for 4 months. They likely will be unattractive, but they will match.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:41 AM

Default Here is my lone D310 Pacific Coast Biscuit

This is the 2nd Berry D310 I have owned. I traded my original one away to another boardmember, and then picked up this one which has been owned by several of our board members. I would describe this one as having a greener hue rather than a light blue hue.

Patrick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D310.jpg (81.1 KB, 250 views)
Old 07-27-2015, 04:17 PM

Default Follow Up to D310 thread

I am trying to learn if anything additional has been learned about the tint variations in this set. To my eye, there are two distinct types- grayish B&W and Greenish/Blue.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I would presume that all poses exist in both variations. The grayish variation appears to be more scarce. Perhaps we can make a list of known examples?

I have seen 69/72 in Green/Blue (the three are the bottom 3 on the list).
I have the following gray tints:
Berry
Cutshaw
Danzig
Hoffman
Wolverton
Fitzgerald
Lewis
Rapp

What other gray tints can be confirmed?
Old 07-27-2015, 04:22 PM

Default Pacific Coast Biscuits

You can find a bunch of them for tint comparison purposes in the Early Portland Beavers Baseball Cards gallery at http://www.sportingoregon.com/
Old 07-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Here are a few (below) and I think sometimes their tints get a bit miss communicated. Their shades tend to overlap a little.. The Moore looks sort of gray.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomass View Post
I am trying to learn if anything additional has been learned about the tint variations in this set. To my eye, there are two distinct types- grayish B&W and Greenish/Blue.

In the absence of evidence to the contrary, I would presume that all poses exist in both variations. The grayish variation appears to be more scarce. Perhaps we can make a list of known examples?

I have seen 69/72 in Green/Blue (the three are the bottom 3 on the list).
I have the following gray tints:
Berry
Cutshaw
Danzig
Hoffman
Wolverton
Fitzgerald
Lewis
Rapp

What other gray tints can be confirmed?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pd310master5x.jpg (78.6 KB, 195 views)
Old 07-27-2015, 04:54 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

I have Ryan, Steen and Sutor in the Gray tints.

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com
Old 07-28-2015, 02:08 AM

Default D310 tints

I started a thread in 2011 about the tinting of the D310 set. As a result of the responses to the thread, I have come to believe that all 72 are available in the green tint, while only 24 are available in the gray tint. I believe that of the 24 that are available in both green and gray tints that the gray tints are more common.

If someone were to post a link (sorry, beyond my capabilities at this moment) of that 2011 thread, you can get a fuller understanding of my ideas about this set, based upon the team checklists on the back.

Brian
Old 07-28-2015, 06:05 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
I started a thread in 2011 about the tinting of the D310 set. As a result of the responses to the thread, I have come to believe that all 72 are available in the green tint, while only 24 are available in the gray tint. I believe that of the 24 that are available in both green and gray tints that the gray tints are more common.

If someone were to post a link (sorry, beyond my capabilities at this moment) of that 2011 thread, you can get a fuller understanding of my ideas about this set, based upon the team checklists on the back.

Brian
Same characters posting in that thread too .

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=118335

Old 07-28-2015, 06:50 AM

Default Just another Pacific Coast Biscuit post...aren't you all getting tired of them?

Thanks Leon, that is the thread. I seemed so smart back then...what happened? As far as I can tell, Richard's info lines up with my revised version of my overall D310 tint theory.

I love D310's

Brian
Old 07-30-2015, 03:34 AM

Default Original post and revised D310 tint theory

I have pasted the beginning of that previous thread here to make it easier to access, and then, as a result of information and thoughts about the tinting provided Mark M., Richard M. and all the others on that thread, my revised theory follows. If anyone has cards or thoughts to challenge this, please feel to post them.

Brian

D310 tint answers, solutions, theories, challenge

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I looked through my collection of D310's and am embarrassed to say I believe I have figured out the the green and gray tinting on these cards. It becomes really obvious if you have a decent amount of D310's and store them based upon the team organized checklist on the back of each card, which I do, and is why I am embarrassed to state that I never noticed this before.

Within each of the six team's checklist the players (twelve per team) are arranged non-alphabetically. For example, San Francisco's list looks like this on the back of the card:

San Francisco

Madden
Browning
Henley
Smith
Holland
Weaver
Tennant
Sutor
Vitt
McArdle
Berry
Mohler

I own 11 of the 12 San Francisco cards (missing the Weaver, for crying out loud). The first six on the list, Madden through Weaver, are all green tinted (which includes the Weaver cards I have seen out there in collector land). The second six, Tennant through Mohler, have gray tints. The same pattern holds true for the next two teams (Oakland and Portland) that are listed vertically beneath San Francisco; the first six players listed on their respective checklists have green tints, while the second six are gray tinted.

The next team, Sacramento, listed on the top right of the backside, mixes things up a little, with the first six players possessing gray tints, and the second six green tints. The final two teams, Los Angeles and Vernon, change things completely by eliminating all gray tints--cards from both of these teams appear in only green tints.

So my theory is that these cards were printed in sheets of 24, or some divisible multiple of 24, and that only 24 cards in the set were printed with the gray tint. If the sheets were 24 cards, then two of the three sheets printed would have been printed green, and the other sheet in gray.

So here is your challenge--check your collections and try to find any D310 that does not fit the following pattern I have discerned. I will list below the 24 cards that I think can only be found with gray tints, and all others not listed should only be found with green tints. I would love to hear back from collectors on what D310's they have (and their tint, of course) so that we can either prove or disprove my theory.

D310 list of Gray Tint only cards:

San Francisco

Tennant
Sutor
Vitt
McArdle
Berry
Mohler

Oakland

Hoffman
Cutshaw
Maggart
Wolverton
Pyfl
Tiedeman

Portland

Steen
Ryan
Murray
McCredie
Rapps
Chadbourne

Sacramento

LaLonge
Heister
Danzig
Van Buren
Fitzgerald
Lewis

*And here is the consolidated revised theory, especially after the recent input by Richard. The above list of gray tints changes designation from 'gray tints only' to 'also printed with gray tinting' *

D310's were probably printed in sheets of 24, probably in several different runs, all cards can be found in green, and only the 24 cards listed in the original post can be found in gray. Of the 24 cards that can be found in green and gray tints, it appears that the green tints are less common.

Last edited by brianp-beme; 07-30-2015 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Clarification in revised theory
Old 11-30-2015, 01:44 PM
€dw@rd Sk€Łt0n

Well, I love this thread, and I just acquired two more D310s, but I am still awaiting delivery. The new ones still coming are Hitt and McDonnell, both are the green tint. I am not sure you can tell, but the two Ryan cards are one of each, green and gray tints. I had a good run of acquiring overprints there for a while (mainly from Leon's auction, I think I got all his cards except the Weaver, which along with Peckinpaugh, I wonder if I will ever be able to find one I can afford). Anyway, I hope you enjoy seeing these, I know it is mostly a low-grade collection, but some of these I think are really cool. In the meantime, I realized I had not scanned any of mine for awhile, and just finished doing so. So here are the ones I have now:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1911 D310 Akin Pacific Coast Biscuit-tile.jpg (77.8 KB, 34 views)

Collecting PCL, Southern Association, and type cards.
http://hangingjudgesports.com

Last edited by edjs; 12-01-2015 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Made scans visible