NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 10-15-2013, 08:29 PM

Default For Sale : 1973 Topps Football Set NM (Every Card Scanned) SOLD

Hi All

Ive been a high grade collector of the 1973 Topps Football set for 30 years now, and over the years I have accumulated a vast amount of cards in my never ending quest for the perfect set.

The 73 Set, like most all of the Topps issues from the decade offers its own challenge due to the lack of quality control at the time.

Centering, print flaws are among the most common problems one can expect to encounter with the 1973 Topps set.

One of the more unique flaws that I commonly see with the 73 set is what I call "Ghost Spots" These are print flaws that create white surface spots that are hard to see unless under good lighting.

Today I have a very nice and clean Near Mint complete Set to offer.

It has some typical hit and miss centering, but overall I believe you would be hard pressed to find much better centering on a NM set. Surely none of the overstated ebay or dealer sets are going to match it.

The cards are sharp with nice clean original surfaces. There are a handful of cards with wax on the back(all are noted in the scans)

Overall the set breaks down :
10% EXMT or less (This includes the wax stain cards)
80% NM or better
10% NM-MT

So let's take a look at the set as I have scanned every card. They are in numerical order #1-#528

Some very solid Leader cards to lead off the set.
I will be back to continue the set. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

John Clayes (BigRedOne)

Last edited by BigRedOne; 03-06-2014 at 11:48 PM. Reason: update
Old 10-16-2013, 04:47 AM

Default The Set Continued

Last edited by BigRedOne; 10-16-2013 at 05:00 AM.
Old 10-16-2013, 05:04 AM

Default Set Continued

Last edited by BigRedOne; 10-16-2013 at 05:14 AM. Reason: update
Old 10-18-2013, 08:11 AM

Set continued

Old 10-18-2013, 08:21 AM

Old 10-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Brad

Nice set. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the sale!
Old 10-20-2013, 01:40 AM

Thanks Brad! More to come!

I can't believe my OCD quest to build the Perfect set has been going on this long, almost 30 years now!

Thankfully I had a lot of nice 1973 Topps Football cards before the big TPGing boom.

Finding high grade cards in today's inviorment can be frustrating and far and few between long droughts.

A few recent acquisitions have allowed me to be able to offer this nicer set.
Its safe bet your not going to assemble a quality 73 set for under a $1 card.

The question was asked if the set is all in card savers and it is not. I just like to scan using the card savers to protect the cards and it also helps in keeping all the scans straight and even.

Speaking of the Cards! Lets see some more Now!

A very Solid Jack Ham Rookie as well!

I know most people and dealers would break the set because its more profitable, But Im not a Dealer and Big profits is not what motivates me in this hobby. I would like to see the set go to a fellow collector who is in the hobby for the same reasons, THE CARDS.

I'll be back tomorrow with more. If anything else I just simply enjoy showing the cards.

Take Care all!
John

Last edited by BigRedOne; 10-20-2013 at 01:48 AM. Reason: update
Old 10-20-2013, 10:47 AM

Ok Guys, Im back to continue with the set.

Old 10-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Erik

What a beauty of a set John. I do hope this goes to a set collector as well. Good luck with it.

On a side note, I like how you are picturing them in the Card Saver 1's. It displays the set so well. I try to keep all my cards in Card Saver 1's instead of sheets or hard top loaders.

Erik
Old 10-23-2013, 05:03 AM

Hi Erik

I sent you a link to a Post I made about card storage.

Now how about more of the set.

The Nick Bunoconti card is one of the few filler cards that I was unable to upgrade.

Well Thats All Ive got for now. Stay tune for more!

John
Old 10-24-2013, 08:02 AM
Neal

Beautiful looking set, Good Luck with the sale!
Old 10-25-2013, 04:12 AM

Thanks Neil

I really enjoy showing the set as much as anything.

Erik was asking me about how I prefer to store my cards
I posted a link to a post I made on the SGC board about that very subject.
unfortunately the Link didn't work. So I have posted the conents of that post here.

AS to how I store my sets: To me every set has what I call "A flow" and that flow can only be seen using the 9-pocket pages. While the concern with binders is that the pages can sag, I have remedied that problem by using "spacer boards" placed through out the set in the binder as well as making my own custom fitted slip covers.

No they may not be that pretty but they are very effective. I see them as hisorical volumes. When I pull out a volume to view, Thats when you can see how the set flows from page to page. It also gives you a better feel for the centering throughout the set as well. To me there is no other way to view a set.

Thats one of the BIG draw backs to these graded cards. It is just not possible to see that "Flow" and is just so difficult to view and enjoy yours sets.

I can pull out a volume and lay it on my lap and casually and easily enjoy flip through that volume.

Just trying to lift 300-400 plastic slabs is a back breaking experience. Let alone trying to look through them a handful at a time.

I have considered going to the Card saver I's as they would be my next choice. I absoultely hate using soft penny sleaves and top loaders, That system to me has caused more dinged corners than I care to think about.

The one main reason I haven't gone to putting my sets in card savers is because I would lose the "Set Flow" I spoke of, and of coarse storage and ease of access to viewing your cards would become more like trying to handle the graded cards a handful at a time.

Thats just my take on how I like to store and view my collection.

And now how about we continue with the 1973 Topps Football set I have up for sale.

Man That Floyd Little is cherry!

Very nice Dick Butkus as well. Look at the havoc that animal was causing! My all-time favorite Butkus card. I believe it might be his only Action card..... Nope wait he's in the 72 Hi numbers, but that Hi number Butkus is nowhere near as cool a card.

That Lyle Alzado is dead on

And we'll end here for now with a sweet looking Len Dawson.

Thanks for looking guys. If you would like to see any card closer Please feel free to ask.

John

Last edited by BigRedOne; 10-25-2013 at 04:13 AM. Reason: update
Old 10-25-2013, 07:03 AM
Erik

Thanks John for your pictures and explanation on how you store your sets/cards. It makes great sense and as my collection grows I very well might switch over to this way of storage from Card Saver 1s.

Your '73 set looks GREAT. One note on a player. Ted Fritsch. He got into the set thanks to his cousin, Larry Fritsch, the late sports card dealer. Larry knew several higher ups at Topps and got his cousin into the set. I think Ted appeared in a later set as well, '76 maybe.

Erik
Old 10-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Erik

Default Feller

The Butkus card is a classic. How about a classic name...Happy Feller, kicker for the Saints.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:56 AM

Default Great guy wonderful collector

You will be pleased with these cards

Barry
Old 10-27-2013, 02:52 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

That TED KWALICK card is hilarious. He's running through a mist of colorful fairy dust and confetti. I guess Topps had to airbrush somebody out of the shot. Awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:29 AM

Barry

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the cards! Who better to know, afterall the majority of the set came from Barry to start with.

As you've seen Barry, I made some upgrades on the set with a nicer Franco Harris and Jack Ham Rookies.

I wish I had the cards in stock to replace more of the wax stained on back cards, but as it is there are still a few that i did not have.

All told I ended up swapping out 53 cards in the set. Along with the Franco and Ham Rookies, the Len Dawson in the above post was another one I just happen to have a very nice one of. Thanks bud!

The Ted Kwalick card, Yes it does have the classic seventies Topps airbrush!

I know many complain about Topps and the lack of logos, and I guess maybe rightfuly so, but somehow that oh so great Topps airbrushing seems to make the cards more memorable to me. Its just how I remember them as kids.

Now on with the set!

Yuck! on the Dave Elmendorf card. Its one of the few in that lower 10%

YEAH! on the Scott Hunter, Dave Edwards and Bob Kutchenberg Rookie, all very sharp cards.

We're getting closer to completion on the Set.

John
Old 10-29-2013, 05:14 AM
Erik

I was one of those who complained on the lack of logos yet I like the cards because the 70s is when I started collecting. I did not notice or do not remember the lack of logos.

Yet, I loved the cards and looking at all of these brings back lots of memories of players long ago forgotten.

Thanks John for showing this set.

Erik
Old 10-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Erik

John, I have been meaning to ask you this as you continue to show the 1973 Topps FB set.

Are you strictly a football card collector or do you have baseball as well?

I am a football set collector and collect only cards of favorite players (such as Billy Williams, Ron Santo and Tony Oliva) and sub sets (All Star rookie cards and all star cards) in baseball.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:09 PM
octavio ranzola

john pretty set
Old 11-05-2013, 02:33 AM

Ok Im Back!, i apologize for the delay, got kind of busy with Halloween an all.

Erik,

From the time we were kids and over the years Ive pretty much had every seventies Topps baseball, basketball and football sets a few times over.
I also seem to have a compulsive disorder for lots of Non-sports cards as well.

While I do still have some various Baseball, about 10-12 years ago I decided sell most of my baseball and any basketball sets off to concentrate on my Football sets, which are my favorites.

I don't really know how I ended up with a ton of late 80's and early 90's Baseball, football and Even some hockey sets, my cousin was big into at that time and then just lost interest in it all and everything seemed to just end up in my man cave. Im sure theres lots of nice shiney Jordan's, Griffey's and Gretzky's, but im not really sure what to do with it all.

My main collection areas:

1934 Garbaty cigarettes Moives Star cards
1955 Topps All American Football SGC graded set (about half way on the set)
1968 to 1989 Topps Football sets (Incuding the Sticker sets from the 80's)
1976 to 1985 Fleer Team Action Football sets

I always looking for high grade cards for any of my sets, I have a complete want list posted on the PSA board. Maybe I should post it over here as well.

John
Old 11-05-2013, 02:47 AM

Ok now for more of the 1973 Set.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:07 AM
Erik

No worries John. Welcome back and thanks.

Love the cards, but what is this??? Johnny U is a Charger???

Another great football name...Fair Hooker!
Old 11-14-2013, 03:34 AM

Yup, Johnny U played out his last year with Chargers and Fair Hooker.......
I just wonder how many "Trick" plays he might have pulled in his day!

I got a fella over on the PSA board that's interested in the set. Wanted to see the rest of the set, beings how I have it all scanned, before deciding.

Until he confirms that he wants it and sends payment, I will continue post the scans and the set will be available to the first to send payment.

so the set now continues!

That Steve Spurrier Card could pull an 8

The Ken Stabler Rookie has always been one tough card for centering.
While maybe not quite as nice as the Frano and Jack Ham Rookies. I think it's
a Very solid EXMT/NM.

That Steve Owens card is razor sharp.

Pretty darn nice OJ Simpson to boot

The Rucker, Farr and Jackie Smith... All outstanding cards!

There you have it. The complete 528 card 1973 Topps set. Is it perfect? Nope, But I believe you will be hard pressed to top it.

I also forgot to mention that the set will also include a complete set of the unnumbered Team Checklists. While these have all been marked, the corners and centering are actually in pretty nice shape.

I will be back one last time here to post those Team Checklists. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks for taking the time to view the set. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did showing it.

John
Old 11-14-2013, 06:30 AM
Erik

Thanks John for posting the 1973 set. Looking at the last set of cards brings back memories of players I almost forgot. Sure it is easy to remember Staubach, O.J., Merlin Olson and Kilmer but how about some others such as Steve Owens who had a great 1971 gaining over 1,000 yards or John Brockington who seemed destined for greatness after three straight years to start his career with 1,000 plus yards. Then, other names just pop out to me personally such as Larry Seiple, Spider Lockhart and Dennis Shaw.

Thanks again for posting a beauty of a set John.

Erik
Old 12-06-2013, 10:00 PM

Set now listed on Ebay
Old 12-07-2013, 07:46 AM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne View Post
Set now listed on Ebay
Saw the listing. It truly is the nicest set on eBay. And, at a very fair price. Good luck on selling it John.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:06 PM

Erik

Im glad you enjoyed the set. I enjoyed posting it as well.

Due to the rising ebay fees and such I put the set up for a higher price.

Probably won't sell there, as most ebayers like to feel they are getting the best deal regardless of condition or accurate descriptions.

Ive been busy adding cards to my UNISQUARE store (Almost 600 cards now)
With no fees I can offer great cards at a lower cost than on ebay. A prime example is the 73 Set. It is also listed in my UNISQUARE store for $100 less than the Ebay listing. The down side is, this new UNISQUARE AUCTION SITE has nowhere near the traffic Ebay does, but that's ok, I just enjoy scanning and putting up cards for collectors to see.

If anyone would like to checkout my UNISQUARE Store It can be viewed at the following link: http://www.unisquare.com/store/bigredone1944/

I know what you mean about many players of the past. As you said everyone knows Staubach, Bradshaw etc.... but what made the NFL so special back in the day was all the other great players and characters we all know as kids. You previously mentioned a few, but lets look at a few more.

All of these cards are from the set I have up for sale.

I was never a big Lions fan, but I always liked Greg Landry. At 6'4" 205lbs many might not think it, but he was very mobile for a big man.
In addition to his passing. He rushed for over 2600 yards and 21 touchdowns in his career, exceeding 500 yards on the ground in both 1971 and 1972, as well as averaging ten yards per carry in 1970 and scoring 9 touchdowns in 1972.

What a work horse he was for the Cowboys in the early seventies. One of my favorite Cowboys.

We all know the history of Joe Montana, But I often feel that John Brodie is often over looked when talking great QB's. His 49ers lost a few heatbreaking
playoff games.

Often over looked as well was Lydell Mitchell. He would go on to become the most versitle back in the league with 3 consecutive 1000 yd seasons as well
as leading the league in receptions in two of those same seasons.

"Tombstone" Jackson should be in the HOF. Jackson was famous for moves such as the "head slap" and the "halo spinner" which he used to subdue opposing offensive linemen. In the late Lyle Alzado's book "Mile High" he recalled Rich Jackson as the toughest man he'd ever met, and told the story of Jackson breaking the helmet of Green Bay Packer offensive tackle, Bill Hayhoe, with a headslap. Injuries cut his career short, Jackson will be remembered as a great one, only by a handful of football insiders, including those who lined up with and against him.

Some may question that Bob Hayes should be in the HOF. I say they are dead wrong!
His 7,295 receiving yards are the fourth-most in Dallas Cowboys history. To this day, Hayes holds ten regular-season receiving records, four punt return records and twenty-two overall franchise marks, making him one of the greatest receivers to ever play for the Cowboys.
Bob Hayes is the only person to win both an Olympic gold medal and a Super Bowl ring. Bob Hayes is most definitely a HOFer

And you mentioned Steve Owens, he rushed for 1,035 yards, becoming the first player in the history of the Lions' franchise to run for more than 1,000 yards in a single season, and was selected for the Pro Bowl. Owens was forced to retire in 1975, after a series of knee injuries plagued him from 1972 through his retirement in 1975.

John

Last edited by BigRedOne; 12-08-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Robert

John I looked at your unisquare site. You have some BEAUTIFUL football cards there. Amazing cards really!! Good luck with the sell of the 73 set. Who ever gets it is lucky in my opinion. Its the sharpest cards Ive ever seen for the 1973 series.
Successful Transactions with: cammb, jim, sean1125,bobbyw8469, vintagetoppsguy, mintacular, rube26105, irishdenny, brick, Robextend,dboneesq, northviewcats, wdwfan, Dhogan, quitcrab, eliminator, Harliduck, tonyo, fetamore, hcv123, Bocabirdman, Casey2296,Aplyon86 Futbowl, pwang100, GoCubsGo32, Sidepocket, jcarroll84, DanP, YazFenway08, 4reals, sflayank, frazier and many others
Old 12-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Erik

John, I totally agree that Rich "Tombstone" Jackson should be in the HOF. It seems many AFL players are over looked.

Lydell Mitchell reminds me of another player, Chuck Foreman. Both guys were duel threats coming out of the backfield.

A great story concerning Bob Hayes was back in the Ice Bowl with the Cowboys vs. Green Bay. The Packers figured out when there were running plays because Hayes would keep his hands inside his pants to keep them warm. When there were passing plays, he had them out.

Your unisquare site is awesome John. I have bookmarked it for future reference.

Last edited by Samsdaddy; 12-08-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:37 PM

Hi Rob

Thanks for the kind words on the 73 set. While it is a nice NM set with some NM-MT cards in it as well, But its far from the sharpest 73 set out there. But with a bit of TLC and a few upgrades it is surely a set I think one could be very proud of.

I will be continuing to list more cards in my Unisquare Store. to tell you the truth I really don't know how I ended up with so many cards. I guess over the years I just kept fileing them away in boxes. IM a Pack Rat!

Take Care!
John
Old 12-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne View Post
Hi Rob

Thanks for the kind words on the 73 set. While it is a nice NM set with some NM-MT cards in it as well, But its far from the sharpest 73 set out there. But with a bit of TLC and a few upgrades it is surely a set I think one could be very proud of.

I will be continuing to list more cards in my Unisquare Store. to tell you the truth I really don't know how I ended up with so many cards. I guess over the years I just kept fileing them away in boxes. IM a Pack Rat!

Take Care!
John
If it just gets a little too cluttered around your house John just send some of those cards my way.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:35 AM
Ki.rk Rob.inson

What a great thread on the 73 Topps Football !!
Just spent about a half an hour sipping my coffee to those fond Old Gridiron Days Gone Bye.
Thanks goes out to you John for making that possible.

Last edited by mojorob; 12-20-2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:16 PM

Glad you enjoyed the set Kirk!

I really thought someone would jump on this set by now.

Just upgraded 5 more cards in the set including the Emmitt Thomas which was one of the few lower grade cards that had a hairline on it.

John
Old 01-02-2014, 06:38 AM
Erik

John, I looked at the set again this morning and I have picked out a few of my favorite cards from the set. I think the Butkus, Brockington and O.J Simpson cards are the best in the set IMO.

I am curious as to your favorite card(s) in the set.

Erik
Old 01-27-2014, 04:49 PM

Hey Erik,

Sorry I get bouncing around in so many threads I can't remember which ones I replied to LOL!

Being a hugh Roger Staubach and seventies Cowboy fan the Roger Staubach Card #475 is one of my favorites.

And Speaking of that card I just upgraded the 73 Set with this card.

Other favorites of mine in the set also feature Roger Staubach, Like Card #200 Claude Humphrey... I bet Roger broke that tackle and got the first down. LOL

The Bob Lilly is another favorite. Mr Cowboy was a man among boys.

I also like cards with the classic poses on them Like this one.

and the Steve Owens which we already talked about

All the cards shown here are from the set I have for sale.

With the recent upgrades of HOFer Emmitt Thomas and some other cards in the set and now the addition of the Roger Staubach card the set has went to another level. Im really surprised it hasn't sold.

John
Old 01-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Erik

Nice selection of favorites John. Of these, I like the Claude Humphrey card the most and yea, I bet Roger broke it for a first down!
Old 02-14-2014, 10:51 AM

OK Guys

Back To amend the set.

First off I had an offer on the Upgraded Roger Staubach card that I showed in the above post. I accepted that offer. But FEAR not! I have another nice Roger Staubach that was added to the set. This One.

In addition to that change here are some more cards that I managed to upgrade in the set!

The Emmitt Thomas was one of the only cards that had a hairline crease on it.
That card is now gone in favor of the nice new upgrade! As well as much sharper versions of the Bradley and Manders.

Two other upgrades now in the set. The Ron Jessie is a solid SGC/PSA 8

Thanks for looking!
John
Old 02-14-2014, 01:52 PM
Erik

John, these cards look like they came out of packs yesterday...very sharp!
Old 02-16-2014, 02:21 AM

Erik

Its always nice when you can upgrade a few cards.

I just recently bought a PSA 9 Many Fernandez, a card Ive had trouble finding centered for a long time now. I was kind of disappointed when I cracked the card out. While it was centered and sharp it had a bunch of those "ghost spots"
I spoke of in the begin of this thread. PSA appearently don't place as much importance on the card surface as I do.

I also had the same problem with a 1976 PSA 8 Lynn Swann card. With the horribly inconsistent at PSA its getting to be more and more of a gamble the kind of card you might crack from their slabs.

John
Old 03-05-2014, 11:00 PM

Default Price Reduced

Priced Reduced to $300 deliverd on this beautiful set.

John