NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-02-2018, 12:48 PM
Jonathan Sterling

Default Topps Living set price manipulation

I apologize to all who are offended by post for modern cards but I think part of reason we are all here is to look after each other and our hobby. In mid March Topps announced a new internet only set called Topps Living 3 cards each week with a mix of players and only one of each player unless they changed teams. The idea was no year the set would go on for many years. They were sold $15 for 3 cards each week. You could also buy bulk cards with the price reduced the more you bought. A small group of dealers bought hundreds of each card. Which is fine the same thing happened with Topps Now. But Topps now had much smaller print runs than living.
But about two weeks ago the prices started rising very quickly for some of the cards. I do not think many of the sales were legit. Example I bought some Altuve's on Saturday for $8. on Monday there is a sale for $199 for one card. From a dealer who sold 199 of them and has plenty more. Clearly not a real sale but it bumped the price up fast. Anyway up to you how you take this. But be careful.
Jonathan Sterling
Old 05-02-2018, 03:03 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

As an aside, I remember an exclusive, very limited Topps set, sold as complete sets but with inserts in them. Topps stated the number of sets made, the number of inserts inserted into each set and the number of each insert. However, mathematically, the numbers didn't work out. The number of sets, divided by the insert insertion rate and the number of each insert didn't equate mathematically. You actually got a fraction of a card for a particular insert.

Last edited by drcy; 05-02-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:53 PM
Mike

I thought ebay had a policy of no "pre-sells ? Is this no longer a policy on ebay ?
Old 05-02-2018, 07:47 PM
Jonathan Sterling

I buy pre sales for Topps now and Topps Living cards often so short answer is that Ebay allows them.
Old 05-02-2018, 07:58 PM
Ch.ris Jenk.ins

The bundle of 3 cards each week is still available for $14.99. Individual cards can be purchased at $7.99 each or as low as $3.75 each for 20 cards.

The Ronald Acuna card this past week has a print run of 46,800! The next closest print run this year was Ohtani at 20,966.

I'm not sure how this plays in what you are referring to in the OP, or if it is just information that's not relevant. The crazy 47k print run of Acuna blew me away!
Old 05-02-2018, 08:48 PM
Kin K.

I bought cards 1-3 and when prices went up, auctioned mine. Got over $100 total for the same three cards. That sale was legit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
I apologize to all who are offended by post for modern cards but I think part of reason we are all here is to look after each other and our hobby. In mid March Topps announced a new internet only set called Topps Living 3 cards each week with a mix of players and only one of each player unless they changed teams. The idea was no year the set would go on for many years. They were sold $15 for 3 cards each week. You could also buy bulk cards with the price reduced the more you bought. A small group of dealers bought hundreds of each card. Which is fine the same thing happened with Topps Now. But Topps now had much smaller print runs than living.
But about two weeks ago the prices started rising very quickly for some of the cards. I do not think many of the sales were legit. Example I bought some Altuve's on Saturday for $8. on Monday there is a sale for $199 for one card. From a dealer who sold 199 of them and has plenty more. Clearly not a real sale but it bumped the price up fast. Anyway up to you how you take this. But be careful.
Jonathan Sterling
T206/T213 Scoops Carey back run: 4/4 !00% complete

Focus: open wheel/Indy 500 cards (1911 ATC Auto Drivers (T36), 1954 Stark & Wetzel 500 Winners, 1960 Parkhurst Indy Speedway Winners & 1960s Marhoefer Indy 500), match books & post cards.

Successful purchases from dnanln, pre1960sets, jp1216 & sebie43; RAKs from CW & LuckyLarry
Old 05-02-2018, 10:33 PM
Jonathan Sterling

There are a number of legit sales. I sold my first 21 cards for $899 and buyer paid right away. What I am concerned with is a small group of dealers each of whom bought over 100 of each card have created false demand with manipulated sales. The example I use is the Altuve #16 if you look at sales of the card last week it was selling for between $5 and $9, Then on April 29th there is a sale of one card for $199 the next sales after that are $12.99 $14.99 $17.99 then 24.99 then 14.95(not part of manipulation) then 19.99 36.79 $79.47 15.99 $10 $7.50 $15.99 then all sales in the $30 to $35 range. clearly why would buyers pay $79.99 and $199.99 for a card that is offered for $7 to $10? They would not sellers are manipulating the ebay sales record.
If you look at the sales record of "Topps Living" sort by Highest price and you will see a sale of 21 cards for $5899.97 with the highest auction price for those same 21 cards being $899.00 and Buy it now sales as high as $1,100.00 but it is the $5899.00 fake sale that begins the price swing upwards. Clearly not a real sale but every body sees the Big bucks and then the price starts a quick move to the upside. In any manipulation there are real sales and real sellers that benefit by upswing but the real benefit goes to the dealer group that purchased a couple thousand of each of these cards. And to post fake sales to drive prices upwards is wrong and in the end when prices crash some buyers are not going to have happy memories of card collecting.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:33 PM
Jonathan Sterling

dupe

Last edited by bigfanNY; 05-02-2018 at 10:34 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 05-03-2018, 04:42 AM
Paul

Fake sales is shilling, no two ways about it

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 05-03-2018, 07:24 AM

I think you're just being fooled by the Ebay way of listing completed auctions. The guy who sold the Altuve card that you're talking about does the same thing every time. He will base his orders on the amount of pre-sales and then with the extra cards he has to buy to get the bulk order discount, he puts a high price on them with a make offer option.

If you look at the Alex Gordon card it will help you see what I am talking about. Ebay sold auctions say that an Alex Gordon card sold for $199, but if you go to his page under "73 sold" you will see that he never got anywhere close to that price.

That $199 dollars for the Altuve is the current price he has listed, but all of the sold ones were for $5.

If people are using sold auction prices to get an idea of sales then their problem is the way Ebay lists them, not a shill sale (which didn't happen)

As for the current rise in prices for the set, I think it's just because the set is becoming more popular and people missed out at the beginning.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 05-03-2018, 08:10 AM

To me if you're overpaying for these cards then that's on you. I could care less about manipulation when Topps makes them easily available for an entire week to anyone who wants one and still people refuse to buy them at cost and insist on paying more.

Why waste time on those people?
Old 05-03-2018, 09:11 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfanNY View Post
Jonathan Sterling
I believe there is a high possibility of manipulation, but the example you posted isn't one of them. That listed sale for $199 is because the user has a high quantity and sells them at best offer. If you look at his past sales they sold for $5/card. Ebay just shows the original price if you look at the front search, but that was not the accepted price on each card.