NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 12-03-2014, 09:18 PM

Default Pacquiao vs Mayweather

Let's hear some discussion about pacquiao vs mayweather. Do you think this fight is going to happen? Who do you think will win and why???
Old 12-03-2014, 09:28 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387
Default yes

it will happen now that they are both past their prime...

tyson/hollyfield happened like 6 years too late...jail had a part of it.but it was delayed before jail too...
Old 12-03-2014, 09:31 PM
Dave

IMO it's about 5 years too late to even be relevant anymore.

It's like Ali & Frazier finally getting it on when they were in their mid to late 30's.

It's like Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Roberto Duran III, except it will be the first time they fight.

It won't mean anything in the long run. Won't settle any arguments about who was better. I'm sure it will make a ton of money, but to many hardcore fans, it won't mean much.

Last edited by D. Bergin; 12-04-2014 at 10:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-04-2014, 06:07 AM
T0NY @

I'm no Mayweather fan by any means, but I think he beats Pacquiao both in their prime and today if they get in the ring.

Pacquiao's style falls right into Mayweathers wheel house in my opinion. He's just to quick.
Old 12-04-2014, 07:33 AM

I think the fight will happen. There is a rumor that Mayweather wants a rematch put in the contract. So would be interesting to see. Like they say style makes fights. But even with mayweathers excellent defense I think Pacman has too much pressure. Pac by ko in middle rounds........
Old 12-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

MP by decision. Five years ago Pacman was lightning fast, easily as quick as Mayweather, with insane lateral movement and ability to punch in bunches from odd angles, and would have broken him down inside of 8 rounds. He's lost just enough of his speed to make him seem a safe risk for Mayweather to take, and Mayweather is all about safety. Which is why I think Pacquiao will win by decision. Mayweather will go into a shell and not be able to get enough work done to win a decision. Plus you know that Freddie Roach will be all over the NSAC and the ref about Mayweather's cheating. His best weapon, frankly, is the forearm he uses like an NFL lineman in the 1970s. Take that away from Mayweather and he is a turtle.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-04-2014, 10:54 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
I'm no Mayweather fan by any means, but I think he beats Pacquiao both in their prime and today if they get in the ring.

Pacquiao's style falls right into Mayweathers wheel house in my opinion. He's just to quick.

I agree, but at this time it's a moot point IMO. Should have happened a long time ago, and BOTH parties are to blame.

Manny went life and death for 4 fights with Marquez. I don't see how that translates into him doing well against Mayweather, who is bigger, quicker and just as skilled as Marquez.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:03 PM
Peter

I agree with the crowd that each fighter's best years are behind them. If a fight would have occurred a bit earlier, I would have called it a coin toss. Two great athletes with such clashing styles would have made for an unpredictable outcome.

However, if they fought this weekend I would list Mayweather as the favorite with little hesitation. Aging has affected both fighters, but its been worse for Pacquiao. I think that's just natural for a volume puncher like him. He's also lost some of the stopping power he used to have.

Mayweather is so technical on defense and effective with counter-punching that it's hard to look really good against him. And he always seems to understand exactly what he needs to do to win the later rounds. I see Mayweather getting a close decision over Pacquiao.
Old 12-04-2014, 11:55 PM
Murr the Blurr

I agree with Adam. It will come down to Pac Man's speed and volume punching being too much for Mayweather's counters. I live and work in China and visited Pac's training camp in General Santos City prior to covering his two bouts in Macao. He routinely spars with bigger, stronger guys and has no problem adapting his angles to offset superior power. IMO, Mayweather's slickness will be offset by Manny's relentless agression inside, resulting in the bigger man becoming frustrated to the point where he'll make the mistake of trying to go toe-to-toe. Pac Man's bigger heart wins the day via late-round stoppage.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Manny went life and death for 4 fights with Marquez. I don't see how that translates into him doing well against Mayweather, who is bigger, quicker and just as skilled as Marquez.
Styles. Boxing matchups are not commutative. Ali went life and death with Frazier but Foreman demolished Frazier, so Foreman should have demolished Ali, right? Wasn't the case. Ali wasn't the kind of heavy handed guy who could hurt Frazier; Big George was. Frazier said Foreman's punches hurt in ways that Ali's never did. Foreman wasn't the kind of boxer who could simply pile up points and go for 15 rounds. He expected to kill his opponents, and when he couldn't kill Ali he got gassed and then lost. Kind of what Hopkins expected to do to Kovalev last year; he figured Kovalev would get winded and then lose in the later rounds but he was wrong.

Marquez is basically a great counter-puncher who is sufficiently aggressive to make a fight with a great attacker and has bulked up substantially since the Mayweather fight. He stank it up against Mayweather partially because he had to make the entire fightand partially because it was obvious early on that he could not hurt FM, which let FM dictate the fight and not worry about getting KO'd. That version of JMM lost to Chris John [legitimately; I remember watching it and thinking where the hell has this guy Chris John been]. Against an attacking force like Pacquiao, he matched up well, especially after he got his camp together and into the 21st century, but I think he was on his way down in the last fight. Pacquiao beat the hell out of JMM in the prior round and was doing the same until he ran into that counter. I don't think JMM would have made it out of the round without that shot.

FWIW, I do not believe that Mayweather will ever agree to fight Pacquiao. I don't think he wants to risk the 0.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-28-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:45 PM

Looks like May 2nd is set. Crazy pay per view price. But I will be watching........................