NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-12-2018, 12:10 PM

Default Bobby Richardson

I collect Bobby Richardson cards. Since he's from my town and been a friend for a long time. We have a breakfast group known as the ROMEO club. (Retired old men eating out.)
Bobby is a true gentleman and knows no strangers. If someone wants to meet him, he always makes the person feel like Bobby wanted to meet them.
I've always kidded him that I can afford his cards, I can't afford Mickey Mantles. Though I do have a raw 1952 Mantle Topps that I've had since a kid. Probably a 3 at best.
Always someone in the sports world coming through and I've got to meet people I never would have otherwise. Bobby has generously given me many items of memorabilia with original autographs and such.
It's nice to still be in touch with the glory days as you can mention a name and Bobby has a story about them.
Those who know or have met Bobby Richardson know what a genuine person he is.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:48 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Do you happen to know if Bobby is still doing shows? I have a 61 magazine with Kubek, Richardson and Mazeroski on the cover (it's currently being signed by Maz), and was hoping to get him to sign it. Haven't seen him anywhere for a few years.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-12-2018, 01:07 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Some of my KofC buddies also call themselves ROMEOs for the same reason, except I think their R is for Really... ;-)
Nice story.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Bob Andrews

I grew up with a Dad that took me to Yankee Stadium regularly beginning in 1960. His favorite players had always been DiMaggio and Allie Reynolds but Bobby Richardson was right up there with them. Sharing those days with him is a nice memory.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:08 PM

Default Mike

Bobby is not doing appearances anymore. He is in good health but wants to spend time with his many grandkids. My email is: dnmcduffie@yahoo.com or phone, 803 436 5933 if you want to contact me about getting your book autographed.

Dave
Old 05-12-2018, 09:15 PM
Jeff H

Bobby's son Robbie is a minister at a church near me. He was gracious enough to have his dad sign a ball for me during his last visit. I have never met Bobby, but if his son is anything like his dad and I think he is, they are both really good guys. I have only heard and read positive things about Bobby. Robbie also has some good stories of the Yankee teams when he dad played as he was around the team quite a bit growing up. We have had some good conversations.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:12 AM
Mike Dugan

We were very fortunate to have Mr. Richardson at a photo exhibit here several years ago.

I don't know if someone tipped him off or not but as he started his speech he stopped and pointed out in the crowd saying "I see an old teammate of mine." At that point he walked out and hugged Jack McMahan, a former major league player who Bobby had played with in Denver before joining the Yankees. Jack was on his way down at that time after a season each with Pittsburgh and Kansas City.

That gesture had to mean so much to Jack who is as nice in every respect as is Bobby. Jack is a local legend who spent several years scouting for the Cardinals in the 1960's and coached local Legion teams for years.

Bobby like Brooks Robinson and several others are what you hope each of your boyhood heroes was like in real life. As a grade school kid in the early 60's buying baseball cards I love finding out about the good guys!
Old 05-31-2018, 11:04 AM

I love Bobby Richardson. He's a dear Christian brother, even if I've never met him. About 25 years ago I was able to get a long-wanted American Tract Society card of Bobby. I always thought that was a good picture of him. Hope some day to have it PSA-graded.

Thanks for initiating a thread of Bobby.

---Brian Powell
Old 05-31-2018, 11:23 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quite a contrasting personality to the man who preceded him (closely if not immediately), Billy Martin. He retired at age 30 -- interestingly, the same age and year (1966) as Koufax -- was it injury or had he just had enough of the game?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-31-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:43 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

He has written an excellent autobiography...I own it but haven't read it in about 2 years. Loved it. If I remember right, not only did he retire early, but stayed on an extra year by request of the coaching staff to help with the younger players. Class act.

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 05-31-2018, 04:53 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Quite a contrasting personality to the man who preceded him (closely if not immediately), Billy Martin. He retired at age 30 -- interestingly, the same age and year (1966) as Koufax -- was it injury or had he just had enough of the game?

...From his SABR bio:

On August 31, 1966, at age 31, Bobby Richardson announced his retirement from professional baseball: "This will be my last year as far as playing baseball for the New York Yankees. I will close out the year with 10 years and 56 days of real enjoyment spent in Yankee Stadium and the clubhouses and diamonds of the league. But I feel the time has come when I really should spend a little more time with my family." (15) The years of shuttling his family from Sumter to Ft. Lauderdale to Ridgewood, New Jersey, would soon be over.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente