NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Default Here we go again...

Posted By: Darren

Hurricane Gustav is threatening to bear down on us in 3 or 4 days. Most predictions have it coming agound our way. Things are crazy here in coastal Louisiana, people are already evacuating--not to mention going NUTS!

We are busy concluding business, tending to affairs, and securing property. It's early but better than too late....

Old 08-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ed Hans

Here's hoping for the best, Darren. We'll say a prayer for you.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

Better safe than sorry. Hope it misses you guys this time DD.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Hope everybody down there takes care of their Ebay business before they get NARU'd by the unsimpathitic clowns of Ebay.

Rob M.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Iggy...

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. It is an old saying, but it applies to Hurricanes.

Growing-up here in Miami and born in Cuba, I can greatly sympathize. Just remember, those five-day "cone of death" forecast are extremely volatile, and none of the tracking algorithms can accurately predict where these things are really going. Direct hits can be devastating, but miss it by 50 to 100 miles and life will probably continue as before. Stay informed via the weather channel. But stay away from the "local news" 24-hour media hype (which seems to thrive on the doomsday senerios).

Keep yourself and your family safe.

Lovely Day...

Old 08-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Good luck with everything Darren.

Hopefully the storm will weaken and veer in a different direction.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Our collective prayers will be with you and all others during the storm. Hopefully it will bypass you......

Old 08-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Have you thought about mailing your collection to a trusted friend to get it out of harm's way? I'm sure the backup at all your local postal outlets is beyond ridiculous, but it might be a good thought (after your friends and family are safe and secure, of course).

Old 08-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Craig W

I just talked to my brother who's a border patrol officer in Arizona ... they just received a warning order that they could be deployed to the gulf coast to provide security. And the company I work for has several plants in southern Louisiana, so my thots and prayers are with you and many others.

Craig

Old 08-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Darren,

Good luck and stay safe. My son goes to Tulane. They just closed up and sent all students home. So two days of college classes and he's back on the couch taking a nap again.

Our thoughts are with you.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Well we took a direct hit. Luckily it was just a category 2 when it made landfall. My family and I are safe. My mom has fallen ill with the stress, physical and mental, of it all.

We are without power and reports are that it'll be at least of couple of weeks before it is restored. I'll have to replace my roof. My medical clinic, a manufactured building, lost its entire roof during the storm. Its contents went through the spin cycle. All paper items were lost.

We are going to rebuild.

My cards are safe.

Thanks to all for your words of encouragement.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Wow Darren - the sense of relief perceived from casually following the reports makes your experience a shock;

I wish you and your family all the best as you rebuild as best you can.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Very sorry to hear of your devastation.....please keep us as informed as you can and good luck....and our prayers will be with your mom...

Old 09-04-2008, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

We have 2500-3000 transplantees here till they clear things up down there. Like Matt, I didn't really think it was THAT BAD.........till you hear something like your situation. Guess the human aspect of it like your mom's situation isn't really reported on too heavily either. We'll keep you guys in our thoughts and hopefully these other 3 storms lined up there stay away from all of us..................

Old 09-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

Dr.Darren,I sure wish you all the best as you get life back together again.
We actually went north a bit to Birmingham when it was a 4 down by Cuba but were fortunate
that nothing really happened in our hometown of Pensacola. I did think about you
as we talked to a number of folks from Mississippi and Louisiana who had come
north a bit.
take care,friend

Barry

Old 09-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Debra Johnson

Darren, I've been thinking of you the last few days, knowing you 'won' the hurricane lottery this round. So sorry to hear about your Mom. This is a large retirement area here on the Mississippi side of New Orleans, and the fact that Gustave showed up so near the three year anniversary of Katrina has thrown everyone, especially the elderly, in a nosedive stress-wise. (Personally, I'm guiltily elated because we only ended up with five feet of water downstairs instead of 18. It's a mess but very manageable. Losing your office building roof is a whole other world of problems, and I'm so sorry.)

One point of interest to report from the MS gulf coast: Hundreds upon hundreds of muskrat, nutria, and huge pigs were swept from the Louisiana 'boot' just to our south, and beached at Waveland and Lakeshore here on our coast. Folks that are trying to clean up down there can hardly bear to step outside due to the smell.

Hang in there, Darren -- hoping for a smooth and quick recovery for you...
Deb

Old 09-04-2008, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul S

Truly sorry to hear about how hard you got it and all miserable repercussions. Hang in there, buddy.

"Just a category 2."? Geez, I know it's all relative but I echo Matt's remarks about the media seeming to play it down. They must have more important matters like the verbal bluster of political conventions.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Darren,

Glad to hear that you are safe. Sorry about your losses. Take care.

John Spano

Old 09-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

Hang in there!

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 09-05-2008, 06:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M.

Darren,

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that you and your family are safe and sound.

Scott

Old 09-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Leslie Westbrook

I live in Lafayette, LA, and I'm a photographer for the Daily Advertiser newspaper here. I rode out the storm at the Vermilion Parish courthouse in Abbeville and was honestly a little relieved at the relative "calmness" of Gustav compared to what was being hyped and predicted. Darren, it sounds like you were a little closer to landfall (what city?). Glad you made it through ok.

Since the storm, I've been working almost non-stop traveling from New Iberia to Opelousas to Mamou covering storm damage and relief in the area. Although the storm passed without wreaking too much havoc other than making a big mess, a spate of tornadoes spun from the tail end of Gustav really shook things up around here yesterday. Three people were killed in the Mamou area, and being there to see it really made me stop and consider priorities.

I still love this hobby, but sometimes life gives you a little wake-up call that reminds you how privileged we are to get to have the joy of something like baseball card collecting.

Now, to everyone on the east coast and Florida in the coming days...be safe!

Old 09-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Darren -

Glad to hear that you and your family are safe and that only replacable things were lost.

Best of luck to you on the rebuild.

Richard

Old 09-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Mom's doing better--back to normal.

I believe history will show that Hurricane Gustav will have caused as least as much damage as Katrina. The "relief" as reported by the media is that Gustav did not hurt New Orleans. What it did do is devastate rural Louisiana towns from Grand Isle to Ragley. Baton Rouge sources say that Gustav was the most damaging storm in its history. In Houma and the rest of Terrebonne parish they were just allowed to return home today--with no electricity, water, and sewage.

I live in Cut Off (in southern Lafourche Parish)and next to Terrebone we took the biggest hit. You won't hear about us on the news, nor will you hear about Leeville, Barataria, Golden Meadow, Raceland, Gray, Montegut, etc or the countless other small towns that were pummeled.

About 85% of all Louisiana parishes will get a federal disaster area label as a result of Gustav.

In reality there is so much more to Louisiana than New Orleans.

Currently there are about 1000 out of state power company trucks in our parish of Lafourche. I can't express enough our gratitude for the help they are giving us.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the update....we are with you in spirit.. So glad to hear mom is doing better....

Old 09-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Darren- sorry to hear that Cut Off got hit so hard...it's a nightmare that you have had two major hits in the last few years. Very frightening.

Old 09-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

darren,
glad that your mom is better but so sorry to hear of the devastation.
do know that your friends here have you and your family in our prayers.

best,

barry

Old 09-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lance

Darren,
I am glad you and your family are doing as well as you are. I am actually heading to Kenner, LA for work next week and have already started praying for Ike to break down. I hope we all make it through what looks to be a very tough remainder of the hurricane season.

Lance