NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-27-2015, 08:47 PM
Curt

Dodgers collector here. Never a shortage of those for vintage, but they seem to be less popular in present day collecting circles. Fine by me though. I prefer Brooklyn stuff and thankfully grabbed up a fair amount in the early ebay days, because now I don't want to pay the premium for the stuff I don't have.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:07 PM
J Ryan
Banned

I do cardinals.

im no where as intense about it as most of the people on this site, i just pick up here and there.

I have over 4500 different cardinals cards though.

i think my bulk of collection is 1985-2005, i have some 50s/60s, and about 35 70's cards

im super cheap so i dont buy alot
Old 09-28-2015, 06:39 AM
Al Richter

Cool Cardinals

Cardinals are good cards
Old 09-28-2015, 08:33 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Cardinals are good cards
Right on, Al! I look at Cardinals of the past hoping they can somehow help the current group hang on!

I bought a book last night called The Spirit of St. Louis: The History of the Cardinals and Browns. Can't wait to read it. I have a pretty good idea of how I am going to proceed with my Cardinal team set collecting, but I am thinking this book dealing with Cardinals history will help inspire me as well.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:38 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmopar View Post
Dodgers collector here. Never a shortage of those for vintage, but they seem to be less popular in present day collecting circles. Fine by me though. I prefer Brooklyn stuff and thankfully grabbed up a fair amount in the early ebay days, because now I don't want to pay the premium for the stuff I don't have.
I would agree woth this. The Brooklyn premium is almost non-existent these days; it used to be a large fraction of the Yankees premium.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:10 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Default Colt.45's

Easier(?) to do than most of the others. There are some tough issues out there. Luckily I had a very good starting, and quite nearly complete, collection.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:39 AM
Shane

I joined the datasbyte site for Cardinals collectors. I may build me a list of my collection on the site. Right now, I just have a spreadsheet. I can already see that some cards need to be added to the database. I will do that if I can find the time.

I think Randy (a Cardinals collector) needs to chime in on this.
Old 10-15-2021, 07:16 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhardy View Post
I joined the datasbyte site for Cardinals collectors. I may build me a list of my collection on the site. Right now, I just have a spreadsheet. I can already see that some cards need to be added to the database. I will do that if I can find the time.

I think Randy (a Cardinals collector) needs to chime in on this.
Reviving a fun old thread to ask does anyone know if datasbyte is gone? I can't get the page to open. I never followed through with my Cardinals project but have circled back around to it. I would love to be able to get back on that site.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:49 PM
Jake Dahl

I am a Yankees fan and I stick to manily the 60s but do some 50 and 70s Topps, fleer, bowman, food and oddball issues. I would go back even further but of course depending on year and brand. I have my checklists all figured just need to buy

Condition wise mid to low grade but more low grade depending on player and set

I have almost the whole 1968 Topps Yankees team set only missing Mantle base, Mantle/Mays/Killebrew Super Stars and Steve Barber base

I also do graded and raw un graded

Pre War/Post War Yankees/Highlanders Cards and Memorabilia

1960 Topps Baseball set

Any other cool sports cards and memorabilia

Last edited by HOF Yankees; 10-18-2021 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 03:21 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

I'm currently working on a signed Boston Red Sox 1950-52 Bowman run. My favorite is the 1951s, so they've taken center stage while the other two are in a holding pattern for the time being. The two big-ticket ones I still need from that year are Steve O'Neil and Ted Williams.
Old 10-19-2021, 06:40 PM
Alan Strout

I'm a Baltimore Orioles collector from 1954 to present. I've put together most of the team sets, along with many oddball issues, but collect more than just cards.

I really enjoy the Orioles team issued player postcards, team issued 8x10 photos, and programs (regular season, post season, spring training and exhibition games).

My current passion are programs/scorecards from all the Orioles minor league affiliates from 1954-2021. About 90% complete, but some really obscure 1950's programs still to find.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:49 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Mostly a set collector here, and it depends whether that is with or without variations. However I also have a few players I collect as well as more of an 'open ended' pursuit on pre-war cards.

I like the Heritage cards, but after the first year of Heritage I wasn't about to pursue a bunch of intentionally short printed cards to complete a set. So I resigned myself to collecting just the Giants cards for each year, which might have just a couple of SPs (to complete the 'base' team set), picking up any parallel or variations whenever without really 'pursuing' them (my 'open ended' approach). Doing a team set for the Heritage cards gives me a flavor of the product without the financial impact, which I can then use to focus more on vintage.
Old 10-26-2021, 10:45 AM
Shane

I just looked over my original post and it included my want list from back then. I have made some great progress as many of the want list has been filled. I certainly still need some of the more rare cards.

Here is what I have picked up since then from that list.

1955 Topps Hocus Focus - Wally Moon (maybe it wasn't impossible after all)

1967 Topps Discs - Orlando Cepeda

1968 Topps Plaks - Orlando Cepeda

1969 Topps 4-in-1 Stickers - Steve Huntz & Mike Torrez Rookie Stars (with Carl Yastrzemski)

1970 Topps Candy Lids - Richie Allen

1972 Topps Candy Lids - Lou Brock, Bob Gibson

1973 Topps Comics - Joe Torre

1990 Topps Folders / Sport Shots / Portfolio / Duo-Tang Pedro Guerrero

1997 Topps ProShooters Marbles Ron Gant

2001 Topps Retrofractors 146 Fernando Tatis

1967 Fleer Logo Emblems & Cloth Patches (tallboys; test) - Cardinals Logo Emblem (1966 w/l record; save all 19 cards), Cardinals Cloth Patch, Cardinals Trio Cloth Patch

1968-70 Fleer Cloth Patches - Cardinals (orange; blue bordered logo)

1969 Fleer Pennants & Stamps - Cardinals

1970 Fleer Iron Ons - Cardinals

1970 Fleer Team Logo Decals - Cardinals

1973 Fleer Team Logo Decals - Cardinals

1976 Fleer Iron Ons - Cardinals

That's been my progress since 2013, plus keeping up to date with modern (variations and SP's)

Last edited by frankhardy; 10-26-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-30-2021, 04:15 PM

Yankees collector here, I collect any Yankees (including minor league affiliates) any era, and any set. Have over 51,000 different. Topps team sets back through 1964 (plus 1962) and loads of weird stuff including Yankees cards from 7 countries.
Old 10-30-2021, 04:28 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunderby View Post
Yankees collector here, I collect any Yankees (including minor league affiliates) any era, and any set. Have over 51,000 different. Topps team sets back through 1964 (plus 1962) and loads of weird stuff including Yankees cards from 7 countries.
Why don't you collect all the way back to 1952 Topps?
Old 10-30-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Why don't you collect all the way back to 1952 Topps?
I do, and even before...it's just what fits my budget. An EX 1952 Don Bollweg yes, an EX (or even P) 1951 Bowman Mantle not so much. For what its worth I've got Yankees cards that are harder to find than the Mantle rookies. All you need is money to buy Mantle rookies, I've got some that you just can't find that book 50 cents.
Old 10-30-2021, 04:58 PM
Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerunderby View Post
I do, and even before...it's just what fits my budget. An EX 1952 Don Bollweg yes, an EX (or even P) 1951 Bowman Mantle not so much. For what its worth I've got Yankees cards that are harder to find than the Mantle rookies. All you need is money to buy Mantle rookies, I've got some that you just can't find that book 50 cents.
Just kidding. I understand what you mean. I remember searching for seven or eight years for a Cardinals card that was literally worth $3.
Old 10-30-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Just kidding. I understand what you mean. I remember searching for seven or eight years for a Cardinals card that was literally worth $3.
That's the fun for me.