NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-20-2018, 04:10 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Basename-2830.jpgBasename-2831.jpg

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 06-20-2018, 07:22 PM

Nice Reese's pieces.
RayB
Old 06-21-2018, 08:51 AM
J0hn Collin$

In today’s mail from eBayland...a card I have wanted for a very long time, since I was a kid and first got into the old Dodgers. Back then I considered this unattainable, probably because of the whole “last card in the set” hype. The truth of course is that unless you are looking for a high end copy, this card is still pretty reasonable. This will go nice alongside the ‘55 Jackie I picked up last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2018, 11:54 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default Whitey

FYI, there is also a brown hair version of the Ashburn SL
Old 06-21-2018, 11:55 AM
Fr3d mcKi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
Came across an Ashburn starting lineup figure in a charity shop yesterday for $3. The 54 Topps card was a bit more than that, but I still got it for a pretty good deal. Crazy about old Whitey.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:50 PM
Bi11..R0berts

Looks like everyone's having a good month for June. Picked up the Berra, now 5 left for my '62 master set and the Munson is an upgrade for my '71 set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '62 Topps #360 Berra.jpg (74.8 KB, 220 views)
File Type: jpg '71 Topps Munson.jpg (74.9 KB, 219 views)
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty
Old 06-21-2018, 07:07 PM
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteymet View Post
Brown hair?! Someone screwed the pooch on that one. Oh, well, at least they figured it out and got it right eventually.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:53 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Another ‘52 TOPPS for the low number set I’m not working on...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:17 PM

Picked this up in last week's Sirius Auction and arrived today. Had to negotiate with the home accounting office to cover the difference until I sell some things to pay it back. Just need to upgrade my 1956 PSA 6 to PSA 7 and I will have all Clemente's primary Topps issued cards @ PSA 7 or better. The 1955 PSA 6 OC I had is up for sale to help cover the gap and the 1956 PSA 6 is, as well as, a German Field Marshal Erwin Rommel signed photo on Net54.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clemente psa 7.jpg (21.2 KB, 155 views)
Old 06-26-2018, 06:35 PM
D@le Irv*n

My first pick ups in a while, and I wasn't charged any duty either!

Also, just won this Joe Astroth moments ago. Paid a little more than I had hoped, but at least the seller is in Canada so no fear of duty/import fees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merrill Combs.jpg (75.2 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg Ferris Fain.jpg (76.1 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg Joe Astroth.jpg (70.6 KB, 121 views)
Old 06-28-2018, 09:20 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

I keep telling myself I’m not working on a ‘52 low number set...guess I don’t believe myself...

I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:41 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
I keep telling myself I’m not working on a ‘52 low number set...guess I don’t believe myself...
I feel your pain.

Last edited by irv; 06-28-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:17 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
My first pick ups in a while, and I wasn't charged any duty either!

Also, just won this Joe Astroth moments ago. Paid a little more than I had hoped, but at least the seller is in Canada so no fear of duty/import fees.
Nice looking p/u's Irv, centering appears strong on these cards. Nice way to close out the month.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:37 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
Nice looking p/u's Irv, centering appears strong on these cards. Nice way to close out the month.
Thanks, SFMS.

Not always an easy thing with this set, but I am trying.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:07 AM
J0hn Collin$

A sign I may finally be getting serious about the ‘67 set? My first high number:

Old 06-29-2018, 01:33 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
A sign I may finally be getting serious about the ‘67 set? My first high number:

Nice Brooksie! One of my favorites...
Old 06-29-2018, 02:46 PM
St3phen M@rchillo

That Brooksie is a tough one - Nice version of that card. It's the second most expensive Topps regular issue card after his 57 (for me when doing the autograph run)- at least its a nice looking card so even though you have to pay a premium for the high number its sharp looking.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:28 PM
J0hn Collin$

Default June Pick Ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchillo View Post
...at least its a nice looking card so even though you have to pay a premium for the high number its sharp looking.

Thanks. I think I got a bit of a deal buying this in an SGC slab. The centering (this at least passes as decent for the issue) doesn’t bother me, and I think ‘67 high numbers in PSA still carry a premium.

Either way very happy with the card.

Last edited by jchcollins; 06-29-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:58 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

This was my haul last night to finish off June. The Uecker RC and some Kaline cards I’m gonna TTM as I try to work on his career Topps run autographed like the Brooksie run I did.

Thanks eBay for the 15%

Old 06-30-2018, 08:16 AM
Steve

Default Onomastics

Quote:
I stumbled across this one recently on the ebays by happenstance. Being of Hungarian descent myself, I've always had a soft spot for Mr. Hrabosky. And when I saw that he actually signed this one as "The Mad Hungarian," I just had to have it.
I always liked Al as a pitcher, but puzzled about his monikering himself as "Hungarian," since his surname seems to me to be closer to Ukrainian. But, eastern European borders being what they were for more than a century or two, I guess anyone in this country can identify with any country they wish to regardless of linguistic categorizations.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:49 AM
Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volod View Post
I always liked Al as a pitcher, but puzzled about his monikering himself as "Hungarian," since his surname seems to me to be closer to Ukrainian. But, eastern European borders being what they were for more than a century or two, I guess anyone in this country can identify with any country they wish to regardless of linguistic categorizations.
Perhaps he's Hungarian on his mother's side.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:42 AM
Mike Dugan

We had Al along with Ferguson Jenkins this past March for one of the events celebrating our Historic Baseball Trail in Hot Springs. Both were perfect gentlemen and great representatives of the game. Al signed every item with the "Mad Hungarian" tag.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:06 AM
Steve

Quote:
Perhaps he's Hungarian on his mother's side.
Yeah, quite possibly, but what seems more likely to me is a similar misapprehension in other immigrant families from eastern Europe. At the end of the 19th century, a lot of small countries were subsumed under the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and their citizens, regardless of actual ethnicity, were all lumped together as "Austro-Hungarians." As a kid, I had the false notion that my grandfather was "Hungarian," and it wasn't until well into adulthood that I learned from research he was a Ukrainian speaking Rusyn from another part of the "Empire." "Hrabosky" is from an eastern slavic root word, "hrab-," meaning "brave" or "related to brave," whereas the Hungarian language is Finno-Ugric and not slavic. I apologize for the pedantry and would not have hijacked the thread if June were not now over.